PDA

View Full Version : Video of winch launching at Karl Striediecks Eagle Field...

Sean F (F2)
October 23rd 12, 04:16 AM
https://vimeo.com/51897500

October 23rd 12, 04:35 AM
On Monday, October 22, 2012 9:16:55 PM UTC-6, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> https://vimeo.com/51897500

Sean,
That was really excellent! Great Job!
Thanks for posting - Renny

October 23rd 12, 05:30 AM
On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> https://vimeo.com/51897500

That is spectacular! I wanna go.

Tom

folken
October 23rd 12, 07:54 AM
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:16:55 AM UTC+2, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> https://vimeo.com/51897500

Beautiful Video,
Great location,
interesting final approaches. :)

October 23rd 12, 02:33 PM
Karl, please detail the winch.

On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> https://vimeo.com/51897500

October 23rd 12, 04:48 PM
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:33:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Karl, please detail the winch.
>

> On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
>
> > https://vimeo.com/51897500

The winch was surplus from the Canadian Air Cadet program and was built by the military about 30 years ago. Originally equipped with steel wire, it now has 3/16th Spectra rope.

The engine, a 330 HP, 350 cid Corvette powerplant, was installed about 10 years ago.

Being built by the military it is "hell for stout" and shows no signs of fatique.

Other than a new exhaust system and a paint job the winch was combat ready when we got it.

Over the Labor Day weekend we were fortunate to have Uli Neuman and his son Philip travel to Eagle Field to get us started in safe and proper winch operation. Uli knows winches! He learned to fly off them in Germany and has used his engineering prowess to extensively rebuild the unit they use in Spartenburg, SC. He and John Good are currently developing an inline tension guage that will transmit force signals to the winch driver.

We hope to use it for future winch launch training, ground launch sign offs and driver training at Mifflin County Airport.

Dave Nadler
October 23rd 12, 04:52 PM
Is this the same winch as was used in the past couple
years at Mifflin ?

Do you still have the jeep whose tranny I helped
rebuild a few decades ago ?

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

October 23rd 12, 09:22 PM
On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> https://vimeo.com/51897500

Dave,

This is a different winch than the one you saw at Mifflin.

Concerning the Jeep tranny, I still have the damaged cluster gear from it under the work bench and it serves on occasion as a counter weight for this or that project.

Karl

PS The Jeep was sold "as is" a couple years ago and the new owner returned it to "new" condition.

Randy Teel
October 23rd 12, 11:13 PM
Thanks for sharing the video. I really enjoy watching it! I would drive up there for some winch training.

Randy

Tulsa, OK

C-FFKQ (42)
October 23rd 12, 11:40 PM
Beautiful !

What was the line length? What were the launch heights obtained?

I'll be trying winching this weekend at my club -- we're getting a winch and instructors from a neighbouring club to give it a go.

-John

October 24th 12, 12:34 AM
On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> https://vimeo.com/51897500

We're using 3,100' of rope now (4,100" potential), which yields 1,300' no wind and 1,500' with some wind. This is more than enough for pilot/driver training. If the pilot spoilers down immediately after release and lands "backwards" we can get six minute turnarounds.

Interestly enough (to me) is that the heavier Duo ends up with more altitude than the single seaters. Not sure of the physics on this.

The 20 second vario averager reads about 25 knots on the climb.

We're calling off airspeeds as we gain more proficiency, as there is a lot of "Kentucky windage" in how much throttle to use. Veteran drivers have a better sense for this as they combine engine noise, rpm, line sag, angle up, etc. We're not there yet and hope to have a line tension transmitter based on model R/C telemetry operational this winter. ( A John Good project.)

Auxvache
October 24th 12, 02:15 AM
On Oct 22, 11:16*pm, "Sean F (F2)" > wrote:
> https://vimeo.com/51897500

Great video--thanks, Sean and Karl.
When can we expect the sequel: "Leigh Gets His A36 Off Karl's
Mountain?"
(Or was the winch involved there, too?)

5E

October 24th 12, 03:24 AM
Sean, that video is chicken soup for the aviators soul right there! GREAT job splicing it all together.

Karl, that is one sweet setup you've got. Makes me want to call in sick tomorrow and assemble some glider wings!

Hey, where's that Doctor Ed Kilbourne sang about? I need a Doctor's note!

See ya at Cloudbase,
Scott

October 24th 12, 07:29 PM
You know, when looking at Eagle Field on Google Earth,it seems the landscaper may have have too many Yuenglings before cutting some of that lawn ;). I flew over Karl's place last Sunday and can attest to the beauty of the entire region, especially at this time of the year. Ridge, thermals, wave and autumn color -hard to beat.

Nigel Pocock[_2_]
October 24th 12, 07:39 PM
At 03:16 23 October 2012, Sean F F2 wrote:
>https://vimeo.com/51897500

Interesting technique with the tail wheel still on the ground and the
mainwheel a foot off it on take off!

October 24th 12, 09:25 PM
On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> https://vimeo.com/51897500

I was wondering how many folks would note the haphazard mowing, and the explantion is I was after the obnoxious, invasive autumn olive and multifloral rose with the Bush Hog - easier than walking around with a backpack sprayer full of Roundup. And the spray doesn't do anything to autumn olive anyway..

Karl

Sean F (F2)
October 25th 12, 01:39 AM
All,

You are very welcome. We hade a great time doing this project and of course being on hand to witness it. I was a bit nervous before my rides. Alot like how I feel before getting on the latest crazy ride at Cedar Point. My wife was kind enough to buy me a new iMac with iMovie and it is really easy to edit and try things compared to PowerDirector 10 or Windows Movie Maker on PC. It took us about 4 hours not including the import of the video which took another 40 minutes. It was a lot of fun.

I still have a ton of video from race day 1, 2 and 3 of the recently completed R4N contest. I had two cameras running for the entire flight each day. Some INCREDIBLE footage. I'll get to it in the next few weeks.

Best,

Sean
F2

David Reitter
October 25th 12, 04:46 PM
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:48:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:

> We hope to use it for future winch launch training, ground launch sign offs and driver
> training at Mifflin County Airport.

Does this mean you expect to be able to winch-launch again in the near future from Mifflin?
(That would be very nice!)

October 26th 12, 02:26 AM
On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> https://vimeo.com/51897500

Winch launches were suspended at Mifflin due to a previous operator conducting unsafe and runway monopolizing operations. We are working with the FAA, Pa Bur.Av. and the Mifflin authority to establish procedures for occasional winch activity such as ground launch sign off courses or fam rides on no contest days. Maybe six days a year.

Karl

GM
October 26th 12, 12:05 PM
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:48:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:33:28 AM UTC-4, wrote: > Karl, please detail the winch. > > > > On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote: > > > https://vimeo.com/51897500 The winch was surplus from the Canadian Air Cadet program and was built by the military about 30 years ago. Originally equipped with steel wire, it now has 3/16th Spectra rope. The engine, a 330 HP, 350 cid Corvette powerplant, was installed about 10 years ago. Being built by the military it is "hell for stout" and shows no signs of fatique. Other than a new exhaust system and a paint job the winch was combat ready when we got it. Over the Labor Day weekend we were fortunate to have Uli Neuman and his son Philip travel to Eagle Field to get us started in safe and proper winch operation. Uli knows winches! He learned to fly off them in Germany and has used his engineering prowess to extensively rebuild the unit they use in Spartenburg, SC. He and John Good are currently developing an inline tension guage that will transmit force signals to the winch driver. We hope to use it for future winch launch training, ground launch sign offs and driver training at Mifflin County Airport.

Karl - thanks for the flowers! :-) One correction, though: The tension logging device is being developed and refined by Don Haselwood in FL. He put the system together and wrote the code for the logging software. I was only involved as far as the mechanics and packaging of the devices went and I am using the POD, as we dubbed it, with our winch in Spartanburg, SC. We have logged a number of launches by now and have recovered the data (line tension and GPS data) from them. We plan on publishing the findings and what we think we can learn from the data in the near future.
Uli
'Winchmeister'

Google