PDA

View Full Version : AOPA confirms CBS hatchet job on Eagles Nest Residential Airpark news story

Corky Scott
January 23rd 04, 01:28 PM
In a story in today's e-mailed AOPA magazine, AOPA confirmed that CBS
ignored information given them during the interview that the Eagles
Nest Residential Airpark was a lot safer than they portrayed during
their "news" broadcast.

Following is an excerpt from the article: AIRPORT MANAGER LEARNS HARD
LESSON IN WAKE OF TV REPORT
CBS News' recent report on the "lack of security" at general aviation
airports and how the story took shape offer a strong warning to pilots

contacted by reporters. The CBS report used Eagle's Nest Residential
Airpark in Waynesboro, Virginia, to illustrate its premise--that GA
airports have no government-mandated security. But it wound up hanging

both general aviation and airport manager John Trissel out to
dry--something that a call to AOPA's Communications Department might
have helped avoid. "I told them that we're a gated community with
tire spikes at the gatehouse for protection," Trissel told AOPA. "I
told them about AOPA's Airport Watch and that we'd implemented
virtually all of its suggestions. I told them that I live right beside
the runway, and talk to the planes from my bedside, if necessary, no
matter what time of night they leave, to verify who's in the
aircraft." But none of that made it into the report. And Trissel ended
up victimized twice--once by CBS and again by hundreds of pilots who
sent him some scorching e-mails. "Almost all of the e-mailers wrote
back apologizing when they had heard the full story," Trissel said.
CBS also got a flood of mail from pilots. Rep. Vernon Ehlers
(R-Mich.), a pilot, AOPA member, and member of the House aviation
subcommittee, wrote CBS saying that security at general aviation
airports has improved dramatically since the September 11, 2001,
terrorist attacks. See AOPA Online for more about this story and what
to do if you are contacted by the media for an interview

End of quote.

Corky Scott

C J Campbell
January 23rd 04, 04:31 PM
Now is there any more question whether you should talk to the media? They
are not interested in your side of the story.

Dave Stadt
January 23rd 04, 11:58 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> Now is there any more question whether you should talk to the media? They
> are not interested in your side of the story.

Thus their motto...."never let the truth get in he way of a good story."

C J Campbell
January 24th 04, 12:45 AM
"Dave Stadt" > wrote in message
m...

| "C J Campbell" > wrote in message
| > Now is there any more question whether you should talk to the media?
They
| > are not interested in your side of the story.
|

| Thus their motto...."never let the truth get in he way of a good story."

The Bremerton Sun came out to interview the manager of one of our apartment
complexes after a crime was committed there. The reporter wanted to show
that we were this big drug dealing center, that drug paraphernalia were
constantly being found in the playground, and that gun crimes happened
almost daily. None of this was true -- we have never found drug
paraphernalia on the grounds, for example -- but when our manager would not
say what the reporter wanted her to say, she simply made up the quotes she
wanted. Then she misspelled the manager's name.

Jim Hendrickson
January 24th 04, 04:42 PM
"Corky Scott" > wrote in message
> In a story in today's e-mailed AOPA magazine, AOPA confirmed that CBS
> ignored information given them during the interview that the Eagles
> Nest Residential Airpark was a lot safer than they portrayed during
> their "news" broadcast.

I realized, and reaffirmed, the otherday why I never watch CBS news. In
fact, I turned to CBS to watch the GA story only because I knew of the story
ahead of time (I usualy watch NBC Nightly News). I can't recall the last
time I watched CBS news. Little doubt of the reaons for that now. I wonder
how many others are in the same boat (plane) as me and only tuned CBS to
watch the story, or even more so, how many who have watched CBS up until
recently that no longer will.

Rob Perkins
January 24th 04, 04:52 PM
"Jim Hendrickson" > wrote:

>I wonder
>how many others are in the same boat (plane) as me and only tuned CBS to
>watch the story, or even more so, how many who have watched CBS up until
>recently that no longer will.

I didn't even have to do that. It was on CBSnews.com for download. I
even used the feedback form to let 'em know how I *really* felt.

Rob

Jim Hendrickson
January 25th 04, 03:08 AM
"Rob Perkins" > wrote in message
> "Jim Hendrickson" > wrote:
>
> >I wonder
> >how many others are in the same boat (plane) as me and only tuned CBS to
> >watch the story, or even more so, how many who have watched CBS up until
> >recently that no longer will.
>
> I didn't even have to do that. It was on CBSnews.com for download. I
> even used the feedback form to let 'em know how I *really* felt.
>
> Rob

When I went to CBSnews.com several days later I noticed they still had the
story as a "feature"

Google