PDA

View Full Version : Iowa City

Chuck
January 24th 04, 12:53 PM
Was watching Food Network a little while ago and they were in... Iowa City
doing a show at some guys house.

I kept looking, but never saw any mention of Jay or his hotel...

Jay Honeck
January 24th 04, 01:41 PM
> Was watching Food Network a little while ago and they were in... Iowa City
> doing a show at some guys house.

I don't know what's more funny -- them doing a show in Iowa City, or you
admitting to watching the "Food Network!"

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Chuck
January 24th 04, 03:30 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Was watching Food Network a little while ago and they were in... Iowa
City
> > doing a show at some guys house.
>
> I don't know what's more funny -- them doing a show in Iowa City, or you
> admitting to watching the "Food Network!"
>
> :-)
> --

I am studying the Food Network so I can become the head chef at the Alexis
Park Inn restaurant!

Besides.... my wife is addicted to the Food Network... I have no choice!

G.R. Patterson III
January 24th 04, 04:11 PM
Chuck wrote:

> Besides.... my wife is addicted to the Food Network... I have no choice!

You *have* to watch TV?

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Rob Perkins
January 24th 04, 04:19 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

>I don't know what's more funny -- them doing a show in Iowa City, or you
>admitting to watching the "Food Network!"

Reruns of Iron Chef, the most popular television show in Japan (or so
I'm told)

And it's *funny*.

Rob

John Gaquin
January 24th 04, 04:26 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

> I don't know what's more funny -- them doing a show in Iowa City, or you
> admitting to watching the "Food Network!"

Hey, for those into cooking, it can be just as interesting as r.a.p.

Beats HGTV!!

Chuck
January 24th 04, 04:36 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> Chuck wrote:
>
> > Besides.... my wife is addicted to the Food Network... I have no choice!
>
> You *have* to watch TV?

Yea...I'm lazy...

Jay Honeck
January 24th 04, 05:02 PM
> > I don't know what's more funny -- them doing a show in Iowa City, or you
> > admitting to watching the "Food Network!"
>
> Hey, for those into cooking, it can be just as interesting as r.a.p.

Right. Next you'll be telling me how interesting the "Golf Network" can
be...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Fisher
January 24th 04, 05:16 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Was watching Food Network a little while ago and they were in... Iowa
City
> > doing a show at some guys house.
>
> I don't know what's more funny -- them doing a show in Iowa City, or you
> admitting to watching the "Food Network!"

Nothing gets women of the opposite sex more "in the mood" that a scrumptious
gourmet meal and the proper wine.

. . . Unless you have access to a plane, that is.

--
Jim Fisher

Tom Sixkiller
January 24th 04, 06:57 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > > I don't know what's more funny -- them doing a show in Iowa City, or
you
> > > admitting to watching the "Food Network!"
> >
> > Hey, for those into cooking, it can be just as interesting as r.a.p.
>
> Right. Next you'll be telling me how interesting the "Golf Network" can
> be...
>
> :-)

Hey...I finally learned to take a proper divot watching GC.

John Gaquin
January 24th 04, 07:25 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

> Right. Next you'll be telling me how interesting the "Golf Network" can
> be...

Does everyone have to like the same things as you? Personally, I can't
imagine living more than a short drive from an ocean, or in a place so flat
that from a third floor window you can make out the curvature of the earth,
but some people thrive on that. I knew a guy when I was in the Air Force
who couldn't stand the greenery and texture of Colorado, and wanted to
return asap to the Arizona desert, where things were dry and brown as God
intended.

De gustibus non est disputandem......

Jay Honeck
January 24th 04, 07:25 PM
> Personally, I can't
> imagine living more than a short drive from an ocean, or in a place so
flat
> that from a third floor window you can make out the curvature of the
earth,
> but some people thrive on that.

Personally, that's why I own an airplane.

I can be in Canada in 3 hours, Florida in 6.5 hours, or the desert Southwest
before suppertime.

When you fly, it doesn't really matter *where* you live...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Tom|420
January 25th 04, 01:21 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

>>>I don't know what's more funny -- them doing a show in Iowa City, or you
>>>admitting to watching the "Food Network!"
>>
>>Hey, for those into cooking, it can be just as interesting as r.a.p.
>

> Right. Next you'll be telling me how interesting the "Golf Network" can
> be...
>
> :-)

The Golf Network must be of interest for some, same for the Food
Network, otherwise they wouldn't exist (no company sells something that
doesn't pay back).

Imagine there was such a thing as the Flying Network. You would be
watching that all day long, and you would talk about it here with a lot
of fun and interest. On forums about golf you would read:

"The Flying Network? Pouhahahaha! Could you imagine? There are people in
this world so flat so to be interested into watching aircrafts all day
long!"

Get my point?

That said, I'm not interested much in neither golf or food.

Rosspilot
January 25th 04, 02:57 AM
>Besides.... my wife is addicted to the Food Network... I have no choice!

Consider yourself lucky. Mine is hooked on QVC. I get about 3 packages a day
from them. I can't say anything, because her rebuttal is always the same:

"Yeah? $1000 for a headset? $1000 for a GPS? $3000 for the annual?"

She's right. :-)

www.Rosspilot.com

Chris W
January 25th 04, 04:21 AM
Jim Fisher wrote:

> Nothing gets women of the opposite sex more "in the mood" that a scrumptious
> gourmet meal and the proper wine.

What about women of the same sex?

Chris W

G.R. Patterson III
January 25th 04, 04:40 AM
Rosspilot wrote:

> She's right. :-)

Elisabeth and I have a deal. I don't complain about the packages that arrive every
other day from yarn and pattern suppliers or about the shelves of yarn in the
basement and she doesn't complain about my wood shop or airplane stuff.

I think it's a good deal!

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Jim Fisher
January 25th 04, 05:04 AM
"Chris W" > wrote in message

> What about women of the same sex?

I'm open to that, too . . . As a matter of fact, I'm especially open to
that.

--
Jim Fisher

Peter Duniho
January 25th 04, 06:49 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> [...] When you fly, it doesn't really matter *where* you live...

I think maybe you missed John's point.

Tom Sixkiller
January 25th 04, 10:21 AM
"John Gaquin" > wrote in message

> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> >
> > Right. Next you'll be telling me how interesting the "Golf Network" can
> > be...
>
> Does everyone have to like the same things as you? Personally, I can't
> imagine living more than a short drive from an ocean,

Is that a full drive, or just a 3-wood?

Jay Honeck
January 25th 04, 02:06 PM
> I think maybe you missed John's point.

No, but perhaps you're missing mine?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
January 25th 04, 02:08 PM
> "The Flying Network? Pouhahahaha! Could you imagine? There are people in
> this world so flat so to be interested into watching aircrafts all day
> long!"

Actually, there IS a "Flying Network" called "Discovery Wings." I know many
addicts to that channel.

Sadly, it's part of the "expanded cable" service that I'm not willing to pay
for...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
January 25th 04, 02:11 PM
> Elisabeth and I have a deal. I don't complain about the packages that
arrive every
> other day from yarn and pattern suppliers or about the shelves of yarn in
the
> basement and she doesn't complain about my wood shop or airplane stuff.
>
> I think it's a good deal!

That's a GREAT deal.

With Mary being a pilot, too, I have a much more dangerous situation.
There is literally NO ONE in the family to act as the "Voice of Reason"...

Luckily, nowadays we're too busy pouring money into the hotel to spend too
much money on the plane... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Sam
January 25th 04, 02:34 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:<XEzQb.143209$na.227962@attbi_s04>...

> When you fly, it doesn't really matter *where* you live...

I don't know about that. I suppose you can get away for weekend
trips, but even then you'll be pressed for time the whole weekend.
Living in western CO, I was able to access 12k ft mtns within an hour
for skiing or hiking (depending on the year). Now I live in south FL,
and frequently eat my lunch at the beach and ride waves after work.
Some things you have to live close by to do. Someday I'll live in San
Diego so I can do it all.

I've been through Iowa (and other flat, land locked mid-west states) a
few times, and I couldn't live there even if I had a SR-71 sitting in
the backyard. Others enjoy the low cost of living and stronger
families or whatever, so they probably wouldn't enjoy places I like.

Also, if you aren't interested in cooking you won't understand "Food
TV" (food channel). I happen to enjoy cooking and its unique mix of
science and artistry, so I enjoy watching a couple of the programs
there. Just as I enjoy watching Discovery Wings and Speed TV (when
they're not showing Nascrap anyway.).

Chuck
January 25th 04, 02:57 PM
"Rosspilot" > wrote in message
> >Besides.... my wife is addicted to the Food Network... I have no choice!
>
> Consider yourself lucky. Mine is hooked on QVC. I get about 3 packages a
day
> from them. I can't say anything, because her rebuttal is always the same:
>
> "Yeah? $1000 for a headset? $1000 for a GPS? $3000 for the annual?"
>
> She's right. :-)

Well, mine discovered ebay several months ago. Packages every day. But I
will have to admit, most of it was for Christmas and she got some really
good deals....

Chuck
January 25th 04, 03:01 PM
"Sam" > wrote in message
om...

<snip

> Just as I enjoy watching Discovery Wings and Speed TV (when
> they're not showing Nascrap anyway.).

NASCRAP?!?!?!?! Oh boy... here we go!

Gene Seibel
January 25th 04, 03:03 PM
Food has always been near and dear to my heart, too. I use whatever
means to track it down.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:<UBuQb.137444$I06.1228601@attbi_s01>...
> > Was watching Food Network a little while ago and they were in... Iowa City
> > doing a show at some guys house.
>
> I don't know what's more funny -- them doing a show in Iowa City, or you
> admitting to watching the "Food Network!"
>
> :-)

G.R. Patterson III
January 25th 04, 05:12 PM
Jim Fisher wrote:

> "Chris W" > wrote in message
>
> > What about women of the same sex?
>
> I'm open to that, too . . . As a matter of fact, I'm especially open to
> that.

I've heard of some bars in Atlanta where you can find some of those. You might
see is the "Lockerroom" is still open. :-)

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

John Gaquin
January 25th 04, 05:16 PM
"Tom Sixkiller" > wrote in message news:OMMQb.1

> Is that a full drive, or just a 3-wood?

Let me check the Golf Channel, and I'll get back to you.

John Gaquin
January 25th 04, 05:25 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> Elisabeth and I have a deal. I don't complain about the packages that
arrive
> every other day from yarn and pattern suppliers or about the shelves of
yarn in >the basement and she doesn't complain about my wood shop or
airplane stuff.

My wife is a quilter. Anyone exposed to this disease will know what that
means. But, she also enjoys time on the boat, so it all balances out.

JG

Peter Duniho
January 25th 04, 06:31 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> No, but perhaps you're missing mine?

I guess my previous post was a little too subtle and diplomatic for you.

You DID miss John's point. Your reply had nothing to do with what he wrote,
and exhibited a clear divergence from the topic at hand. I understand the
point of what you wrote, but it's completely irrelevant to what John wrote
and does nothing to demonstrate that you comprehended his reply to your
statement "Next you'll be telling me how interesting the "Golf Network" can
be".

Is that a little clearer to you?

Pete

Chris W
January 25th 04, 07:07 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> Actually, there IS a "Flying Network" called "Discovery Wings." I know many
> addicts to that channel.
>
> Sadly, it's part of the "expanded cable" service that I'm not willing to pay
> for...

I don't see how anyone is willing to pay for the "expanded cable". If
they didn't rerun everything over and over and over, they could have all
the same content in 20 stations instead of 200. But instead they try to
make is sound so great because there are 200 whole stations. It's about
the same as the 60 basic cable stations, there's nothing on worth
watching, it just takes longer to figure that out.

Chris W

Jay Honeck
January 25th 04, 10:16 PM
> Is that a little clearer to you?

No.

But don't worry -- your aside is even more irrelevant than MINE was...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
January 25th 04, 10:28 PM
> I've been through Iowa (and other flat, land locked mid-west states) a
> few times, and I couldn't live there even if I had a SR-71 sitting in
> the backyard. Others enjoy the low cost of living and stronger
> families or whatever, so they probably wouldn't enjoy places I like.

I felt that way, too, prior to moving here in '97 to start a business. I
always thought of Iowa as being nothing but corn, corn, and more corn, and
moved here with the sole intention of making a boat-load of money, and then
moving on.

Thankfully, to my amazement, I discovered that Iowa City is about as
"anti-stereotypical Iowa" as you can imagine.

Iowa City:

A) Is hilly! Really!
B) Has one of the most highly educated populations anywhere, thanks to the
35,000 students and 10,000 employees of the University of Iowa.
C) Is Left-wing and over-the-top liberal
D) The largest minority population is Asian, and most of them are college
professors.
E) Has an incredibly young and diverse population. The average age is 28.
F) Is the Lesbian Capital of the world. (More lesbians, per capita, than
anywhere else. Really!)

As you can see, these traits are diametrically opposed to what you THINK you
know about Iowa. It is for these reasons that I love this place (well,
okay, "C" drives me nuts!), and wouldn't want to live anywhere else at this
stage of my life.

It is also why Iowa City is routinely voted one of the top ten medium-sized
cities in the U.S.

And if I really want a change of scenery, Atlas is ready to go at a moment's
notice, with 84 gallons of fuel on board.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Paul Sengupta
January 26th 04, 09:20 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

> F) Is the Lesbian Capital of the world. (More lesbians, per capita, than
> anywhere else. Really!)

Uck. There go my chances of finding my future wife when I come
to visit then.

:-)

Paul

Paul Sengupta
January 26th 04, 09:24 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > "The Flying Network? Pouhahahaha! Could you imagine? There are people in
> > this world so flat so to be interested into watching aircrafts all day
> > long!"
>
> Actually, there IS a "Flying Network" called "Discovery Wings." I know
many
> addicts to that channel.

Guilty.

Or at least I was until I reached the point where I've seen
everything 5 times. Luckily my memory isn't so good so I
can wait a few months and they're all new to me again.

Sometimes I just switch over to remind myself of what's on.

Paul

Paul Sengupta
January 26th 04, 09:26 PM
"Jim Fisher" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nothing gets women of the opposite sex more "in the mood" that a
scrumptious
> gourmet meal and the proper wine.

Then you both get too full and just want to sleep.

Or is that just my cooking?

Paul

Mike Z.
January 26th 04, 09:28 PM
Can't be much worse than that home and garden deal.

Mike Z

"Rosspilot" > wrote in message
> Consider yourself lucky. Mine is hooked on QVC. I get about 3 packages a
day
> from them. I can't say anything, because her rebuttal is always the same:
>
> "Yeah? $1000 for a headset? $1000 for a GPS? $3000 for the annual?"

I'm not married. Thus I get to spend beyond my means in actually
just owning a plane. If I ever get married and have kids, I guess I'll
sell the plane.

Then maybe buy a 4 seater... :-)

Paul

Jay Honeck
January 27th 04, 01:46 AM
> > F) Is the Lesbian Capital of the world. (More lesbians, per capita,
than
> > anywhere else. Really!)
>
> Uck. There go my chances of finding my future wife when I come
> to visit then.

What kind of attitude is that? I just regard them as a challenge!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Paul Sengupta" > wrote in message
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
>

> :-)
>
> Paul

Paul Sengupta
January 27th 04, 02:47 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > > F) Is the Lesbian Capital of the world. (More lesbians, per capita,
> than
> > > anywhere else. Really!)
> >
> > Uck. There go my chances of finding my future wife when I come
> > to visit then.
>
> What kind of attitude is that? I just regard them as a challenge!

Actually, remind me to tell you the Hong Kong story.
Damned if I'm telling it on here. :-)

Paul

Tom Sixkiller
January 27th 04, 03:32 PM
"Paul Sengupta" > wrote in message
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > than
> > >
> > > Uck. There go my chances of finding my future wife when I come
> > > to visit then.
> >
> > What kind of attitude is that? I just regard them as a challenge!
>
> Actually, remind me to tell you the Hong Kong story.
> Damned if I'm telling it on here. :-)

Aw, come on!! We wanna story! We wanna story!!!

Margy Natalie
February 1st 04, 10:56 PM
hee hee hee, new engine, new firewall, new avionice, new auto-pilot, new
instruments, new paint, new interior ... it is an illness!!

Margy (2 pilot family) Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:

> > Elisabeth and I have a deal. I don't complain about the packages that
> arrive every
> > other day from yarn and pattern suppliers or about the shelves of yarn in
> the
> > basement and she doesn't complain about my wood shop or airplane stuff.
> >
> > I think it's a good deal!
>
> That's a GREAT deal.
>
> With Mary being a pilot, too, I have a much more dangerous situation.
> There is literally NO ONE in the family to act as the "Voice of Reason"...
>
> Luckily, nowadays we're too busy pouring money into the hotel to spend too
> much money on the plane... ;-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA