PDA

View Full Version : Local TV News ran an accurate story about airframe icing last night

Peter R.
January 28th 04, 03:56 PM
I fly out of Syracuse, NY (US) and the winter these past three weeks has
been pretty tough for aviation. Daily snowfall, low clouds, gusty winds,
and very, very cold.

Last night our local evening news ran a story about this year's winter,
which included a shot of an American Eagle ERJ aircraft being de-iced.

To my surprise, the newscaster segued into a quick discussion of airframe
icing using phrases like "super-cooled water droplets," "disrupts airflow
over the wing," "adds weight," "creates drag," and "leads to a stall" and
"loss of lift." OK, so the last one was redundant given the previous one,
but this is the local news here.

While he is describing the process of airframe icing, the station cuts to
an amazingly accurate, but relatively simple animation of a wing's cross
section flying through a cloud, encountering super-cooled water droplets,
and developing rime ice on the leading edge.

For a local news story, they got it right. I was impressed.

--
Peter

Judah
January 28th 04, 05:19 PM
I find it rather sad that we can be impressed by a newscaster who actually
delivers an accurate news report.

But hey - I also like Star Trek.

Peter R. > wrote in
:

> I fly out of Syracuse, NY (US) and the winter these past three weeks
> has been pretty tough for aviation. Daily snowfall, low clouds, gusty
> winds, and very, very cold.
>
> Last night our local evening news ran a story about this year's winter,
> which included a shot of an American Eagle ERJ aircraft being de-iced.
>
> To my surprise, the newscaster segued into a quick discussion of
> airframe icing using phrases like "super-cooled water droplets,"
> "disrupts airflow over the wing," "adds weight," "creates drag," and
> "leads to a stall" and "loss of lift." OK, so the last one was
> redundant given the previous one, but this is the local news here.
>
> While he is describing the process of airframe icing, the station cuts
> to an amazingly accurate, but relatively simple animation of a wing's
> cross section flying through a cloud, encountering super-cooled water
> droplets, and developing rime ice on the leading edge.
>
> For a local news story, they got it right. I was impressed.

Jeb
January 28th 04, 07:34 PM
Peter R. > wrote in message >...
> I fly out of Syracuse, NY (US) and the winter these past three weeks has
> been pretty tough for aviation. Daily snowfall, low clouds, gusty winds,
> and very, very cold.
>
> Last night our local evening news ran a story about this year's winter,
> which included a shot of an American Eagle ERJ aircraft being de-iced.
>
> To my surprise, the newscaster segued into a quick discussion of airframe
> icing using phrases like "super-cooled water droplets," "disrupts airflow
> over the wing," "adds weight," "creates drag," and "leads to a stall" and
> "loss of lift." OK, so the last one was redundant given the previous one,
> but this is the local news here.
>
> While he is describing the process of airframe icing, the station cuts to
> an amazingly accurate, but relatively simple animation of a wing's cross
> section flying through a cloud, encountering super-cooled water droplets,
> and developing rime ice on the leading edge.
>
> For a local news story, they got it right. I was impressed.
>
> --
> Peter

Next we will be celebrating "dog did not bite man"

G.R. Patterson III
January 28th 04, 10:27 PM
"Peter R." wrote:

> For a local news story, they got it right. I was impressed.

Tell them so.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Bill Denton
January 28th 04, 11:49 PM
By the way, a large number of TV weathermen are GA, ex-airline, or other
pilots.

"Michael Nouak" > wrote in message

> "G.R. Patterson III" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >

> > "Peter R." wrote:
> > >
> > > For a local news story, they got it right. I was impressed.
> >
> > Tell them so.
>
> Good idea, IMO
>
> Mike

Maule Driver
January 29th 04, 01:01 AM
I would suggest that 'accurate' is not as much a surprise as 'knowlegeable'.
The report was obviously knowledgeable on the subject in addition to perhaps
being accurate.

One of the challenges we have in aviation the the lack of knowledge and
familiarity most people (and reporters) have with it.

"Judah" > wrote in message
> I find it rather sad that we can be impressed by a newscaster who actually
> delivers an accurate news report.
>
> But hey - I also like Star Trek.
>

> Peter R. > wrote in
> :
>
> > I fly out of Syracuse, NY (US) and the winter these past three weeks
> > has been pretty tough for aviation. Daily snowfall, low clouds, gusty
> > winds, and very, very cold.
> >
> > Last night our local evening news ran a story about this year's winter,
> > which included a shot of an American Eagle ERJ aircraft being de-iced.
> >
> > To my surprise, the newscaster segued into a quick discussion of
> > airframe icing using phrases like "super-cooled water droplets,"
> > "disrupts airflow over the wing," "adds weight," "creates drag," and
> > "leads to a stall" and "loss of lift." OK, so the last one was
> > redundant given the previous one, but this is the local news here.
> >
> > While he is describing the process of airframe icing, the station cuts
> > to an amazingly accurate, but relatively simple animation of a wing's
> > cross section flying through a cloud, encountering super-cooled water
> > droplets, and developing rime ice on the leading edge.
> >
> > For a local news story, they got it right. I was impressed.

Google