PDA

View Full Version : GOP Kills $100 million relief to GA companies hurt by 9/11 airspace restrictions

Larry Dighera
January 29th 04, 10:58 AM
The GOP reveals its priorities; vote accordingly.

AVflash Volume 10, Number 05b -- January 29, 2004

GA'S $100 MILLION BILL UP IN SMOKE...
A $100 million provision for relief to GA companies hurt by the
airspace restrictions following 9/11, in keeping with the fate of all
other such efforts so far in Washington, has failed to make the final
cut in the 2004 Omnibus Appropriations Bill. As late as last week, the
provision was still intact, but it had vanished by last Thursday, when
the Senate passed the bill, putting an abrupt end to efforts by
Democrats to keep it in play. President Bush signed the bill into law
on Friday. Pete West, of the National Business Aviation Association
(NBAA), told AVweb this week, "The classic line in this town is this:
Now we have to work on the '05 appropriations process." In other
words, there's always next year.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/191-full.html#186597

....LOST IN LARGER PROBLEMS
Although the FAA's $60 billion reauthorization bill stretches over
four years, GA advocates don't have to wait four years to take their
next shot, West said. The spending bills still need to be voted on
every year. "Appropriations is an annual process, and we can work for
GA relief in fiscal year 2005," he told AVweb. Talks should begin soon
in Washington about spending in 2005, he said, but it's a long, slow
road. "The reality is, these GA companies have been hurting since
September 2001, and we need to stop the bleeding now," he said. But
with a war and a deficit and domestic demands on the budget, not to
mention an election, that is easier said than done.

C J Campbell
January 29th 04, 03:05 PM
"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message

| The GOP reveals its priorities; vote accordingly.

A crummy $100 million -- and it really was just a bunch of loans. Big deal.
If the other party comes up with something else maybe then we will have
something to talk about.

Until then, it is just talk.

Since so many businesses have gone under in the wake of 9/11 it would be
real interesting to see how these loans were going to be allocated. I bet
you can't even find a lot of the owners.

Jay Honeck
January 29th 04, 03:46 PM
> Since so many businesses have gone under in the wake of 9/11 it would be
> real interesting to see how these loans were going to be allocated. I bet
> you can't even find a lot of the owners.

There are two salient questions to be asked:

1. How was the money to have been doled out?
2. What the hell is the Federal Gubmint doing giving away our taxes to a
bunch of private businesses?

Of course, I'd have rather seen it spent on GA than on our new $50 million
dollar rain forest (that, by the way, is going to cost $350 million before
it's "done") -- but neither project is something the Feds should be doing.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

> "Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
> |
> | The GOP reveals its priorities; vote accordingly.
>

> Until then, it is just talk.

R.Hubbell
January 29th 04, 04:18 PM
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:58:49 GMT Larry Dighera > wrote:

> The GOP reveals its priorities; vote accordingly.

Don't forget Bush has signed yet another spending bill.
To the tune of $328 billion. So yeah the priorities are further
revealed. Here's who will pay for all that spending.

http://anon.moveon.speedera.net/mov/1911_lg.swf

There is no free $100 hamburger. Keep working your tail off
everyone.

R. Hubbell

> AVflash Volume 10, Number 05b -- January 29, 2004
>
> GA'S $100 MILLION BILL UP IN SMOKE...
> A $100 million provision for relief to GA companies hurt by the
> airspace restrictions following 9/11, in keeping with the fate of all
> other such efforts so far in Washington, has failed to make the final
> cut in the 2004 Omnibus Appropriations Bill. As late as last week, the
> provision was still intact, but it had vanished by last Thursday, when
> the Senate passed the bill, putting an abrupt end to efforts by
> Democrats to keep it in play. President Bush signed the bill into law
> on Friday. Pete West, of the National Business Aviation Association
> (NBAA), told AVweb this week, "The classic line in this town is this:
> Now we have to work on the '05 appropriations process." In other
> words, there's always next year.
> http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/191-full.html#186597
>
> ...LOST IN LARGER PROBLEMS
> Although the FAA's $60 billion reauthorization bill stretches over
> four years, GA advocates don't have to wait four years to take their
> next shot, West said. The spending bills still need to be voted on
> every year. "Appropriations is an annual process, and we can work for
> GA relief in fiscal year 2005," he told AVweb. Talks should begin soon
> in Washington about spending in 2005, he said, but it's a long, slow
> road. "The reality is, these GA companies have been hurting since
> September 2001, and we need to stop the bleeding now," he said. But
> with a war and a deficit and domestic demands on the budget, not to
> mention an election, that is easier said than done.

Mike Rapoport
January 29th 04, 04:32 PM
"R.Hubbell" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:58:49 GMT Larry Dighera > wrote:
>

> > The GOP reveals its priorities; vote accordingly.
>

> Don't forget Bush has signed yet another spending bill.
> To the tune of $328 billion. So yeah the priorities are further
> revealed. Here's who will pay for all that spending.
>
> http://anon.moveon.speedera.net/mov/1911_lg.swf

Powerful message, thanks.

Mike
MU-2

Jay Masino
January 29th 04, 05:18 PM
Jay Honeck > wrote:
> 2. What the hell is the Federal Gubmint doing giving away our taxes to a
> bunch of private businesses?

I think the majority of this money is supposed to be used for GA
businesses effected by all the TFRs. Just imagine if tomorrow, the feds
shut down the airspace over Iowa City Airport (and for the sake of
argument, shut down all the roads leading up to the hotel). This would
effectively put you out of business. Wouldn't you want some sort of
compensation from the Feds?

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Peter Duniho
January 29th 04, 06:45 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> 2. What the hell is the Federal Gubmint doing giving away our taxes to a
> bunch of private businesses?

A very good question, IMHO. However, given that billions went to the
airlines almost instantly (by government standards) after the 9/11 attacks,
in spite of their (partial) culpability and in spite of the fact that many
were already losing money due to factors completely unrelated to 9/11, do
you really think it's fair that businesses put out of business BY the
federal government should not be awarded some sort of aid or compensation by
the very entity that shut them down in the first place?

I mean, hell...the airlines lost almost NO money due to government actions.
GA's losses from 9/11 were almost ENTIRELY due to government actions. And
yet, who is it that the government bails out?

I dislike government bail-outs of businesses as much as the next guy, but
seems to me that this is an exception to the rule. The government is at
fault, the government should pay up. They shouldn't even be loans, IMHO.
They should be plain old restitution.

Pete

Jay Honeck
January 29th 04, 08:55 PM
> I think the majority of this money is supposed to be used for GA
> businesses effected by all the TFRs.

Good point. Has anyone actually compiled a list of FBOs impacted by the
TFRs?

I can't think of any outside of the D.C. area, and around the newly enlarged
Camp David TFR -- but surely there must me more to justify $100 million?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Peter Gottlieb
January 29th 04, 09:57 PM
A bunch around the NY area were negatively impacted also.

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > I think the majority of this money is supposed to be used for GA
> > businesses effected by all the TFRs.
>
> Good point. Has anyone actually compiled a list of FBOs impacted by the
> TFRs?
>
> I can't think of any outside of the D.C. area, and around the newly
enlarged
> Camp David TFR -- but surely there must me more to justify $100 million?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Ron Natalie
January 29th 04, 10:07 PM
"Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message et...
> A bunch around the NY area were negatively impacted also.

And Crawford, TX.

And just about everybody inside the "Enhanced class B" for a while.

Frankly, I was denied use of my leased property at VKX for over six
months. They owe me at least $500.

Peter Gottlieb
January 29th 04, 10:33 PM
Nobody could fly for a similar amount of time at HPN either, and their
tiedowns start at $240 per month, and hangars are around $800 a month.
Those bills had to be paid regardless of the fact that we couldn't fly.

So I feel sick to my stomach when there is talk of giving the airlines
billions while ignoring private owners. At least the airlines weren't
attacked by their own government.

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message
et...
> > A bunch around the NY area were negatively impacted also.
> >
> And Crawford, TX.
>
> And just about everybody inside the "Enhanced class B" for a while.
>
> Frankly, I was denied use of my leased property at VKX for over six
> months. They owe me at least $500.

BTIZ
January 30th 04, 12:54 AM
all the flight schools in the Las Vegas Valley were impacted while the first
Class B to the floor and not VFR restriction was in place, I think that
lasted about 2 months.. we were almost in that boat at the glider club, but
the our runway is NOT under the ClassB by about 200ft.

BT

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > I think the majority of this money is supposed to be used for GA
> > businesses effected by all the TFRs.
>
> Good point. Has anyone actually compiled a list of FBOs impacted by the
> TFRs?
>
> I can't think of any outside of the D.C. area, and around the newly
enlarged
> Camp David TFR -- but surely there must me more to justify $100 million?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Dan Luke
January 30th 04, 01:44 AM
"Jay Honeck" wrote:
> our new $50 million dollar rain forest

Who sponsored this pork?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Mike Granby
January 30th 04, 01:47 AM
"Mike Rapoport" > wrote:

> Powerful message, thanks.

But a bit rich, considering neither party is that interested in dealing with
the real problems that are going to face out children ie. the mess in social
security and other entitlements for retiring boomers.

Plumb Bob
January 30th 04, 02:18 AM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message
> "Jay Honeck" wrote:
> > our new $50 million dollar rain forest
>
> Who sponsored this pork?

Who vetoed this pork?

Nobody...

Jay Honeck
January 30th 04, 03:53 AM
> > our new $50 million dollar rain forest
>
> Who sponsored this pork?

Sen. Charles Grassley.

Can you say "Large campaign donation?"
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Larry Dighera
January 30th 04, 10:10 AM
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:54:43 -0800, "BTIZ" >
wrote in Message-Id: <kXhSb.2027$IF1.1394@fed1read01>:

>all the flight schools in the Las Vegas Valley were impacted while the first
>Class B to the floor and not VFR restriction was in place, I think that
>lasted about 2 months.

It looks like the DC-Four may get some relief:

AOPA ePilot Volume 6, Issue 5 January 30, 2004

FAA GETS SPENDING MONEY FOR GA PROGRAMS
General aviation came out ahead in the huge omnibus spending bill
Congress passed last week to fund the government for the rest of this
fiscal year. The FAA's piece of the pie contains money to fund a
number of items that AOPA lobbied hard for. The bill fully funds the
Airport Improvement Program, including $341 million for general
aviation airports. That means new hangars, in addition to other
improvements. The omnibus bill also addresses how pilots are going to
keep their high-compression engines running when leaded aviation fuel
is phased out by providing $500,000 to research unleaded fuels for
general aviation. Some $3 million has been allocated so the FAA can
continue to develop ILS-like GPS approaches at GA airports using the
Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS). However, no money was included
for reimbursing GA businesses hurt by the national airspace shutdown
after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks; the omnibus bill
merely "encourages" the FAA to reimburse FBOs at the four Washington,
D.C.-area airports that were hardest hit. See AOPA Online
( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2004/04-1-060x.html

Ron Natalie
January 30th 04, 12:23 PM
"Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message et...
> Nobody could fly for a similar amount of time at HPN either, and their
> tiedowns start at $240 per month, and hangars are around $800 a month.
> Those bills had to be paid regardless of the fact that we couldn't fly.

Nope. HPN was fine once the enhanced class B restrictions were
relaxed. VKX didn't get opened up until they got done rectal probing
the pilot population. You still have to stand on your head to get in
and out of there.

David Brooks
January 30th 04, 04:30 PM
"Mike Rapoport" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "R.Hubbell" > wrote in message

> > Don't forget Bush has signed yet another spending bill.
> > To the tune of $328 billion. So yeah the priorities are further
> > revealed. Here's who will pay for all that spending.
> >
> > http://anon.moveon.speedera.net/mov/1911_lg.swf
> >

> Powerful message, thanks.

But you won't see it during the Super Bowl, despite MoveOn coming up with
the money. CBS refused to carry it.

In unrelated news, Viacom is a major donor to the Republicans, and is a
beneficiary of recent media ownership rule changes.

-- David Brooks

Peter Duniho
January 30th 04, 07:37 PM
"David Brooks" > wrote in message
> In unrelated news, Viacom is a major donor to the Republicans, and is a
> beneficiary of recent media ownership rule changes.

You forgot to put "unrelated" in quotes. :)

Peter Gottlieb
January 30th 04, 10:51 PM
Standing on one's head probably violates some FAR.

"Fine" is a matter of opinion. For a few months it was only possible to fly
with a CFI on board. Remember that absurdity?

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message
et...
> > Nobody could fly for a similar amount of time at HPN either, and their
> > tiedowns start at $240 per month, and hangars are around $800 a month.
> > Those bills had to be paid regardless of the fact that we couldn't fly.
>
> Nope. HPN was fine once the enhanced class B restrictions were
> relaxed. VKX didn't get opened up until they got done rectal probing
> the pilot population. You still have to stand on your head to get in
> and out of there.

Peter Duniho
January 31st 04, 02:21 AM
"Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message
t...
> Standing on one's head probably violates some FAR.

91.13.

> "Fine" is a matter of opinion. For a few months it was only possible to
fly
> with a CFI on board. Remember that absurdity?

Actually, it was more absurd than that. If you held a student pilot
certificate, you were permitted to fly without an instructor aboard.

Pete

Google