PDA

View Full Version : Celeb Sitings at FBO's

Paul Tomblin
January 30th 04, 06:37 PM
In a previous article, "Ben Smith" > said:
>How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
>FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it

I saw Rudi Guilliani and Hillary Clinton arrive at Prior Aviation in
Buffalo on the same day when they were both campaigning for the Senate. I
talked to Patty Wagstaff in Rochester as she was clearing customs.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
QUOTE OF THE DAY:

`

Ben Smith
January 30th 04, 06:37 PM
How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera guys
in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
story about him the night before...

Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he was
alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Jim
January 30th 04, 07:14 PM
I've seen and talked with Mickey Gilley down at Point Lookout, MO twice.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Ben Smith" > wrote in message
> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
> some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera
guys
> in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
> story about him the night before...
>
> Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he
was
> alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)
>
> --
> Ben
> C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

rip
January 30th 04, 07:54 PM
I talk to myself during pre-flight. Does that count?

Rip

Ben Smith wrote:
> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
> some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera guys
> in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
> story about him the night before...
>
> Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he was
> alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)

Larry Fransson
January 30th 04, 08:06 PM
On 2004-01-30 10:37:30 -0800, "Ben Smith" >
said:

> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO?

I saw Evander Holyfield at Signature in Minneapolis a few years ago. We
had flown some people in from Atlanta the previous day for the NFC
championship game, and were waiting for them to return from the game for
the trip back to Atlanta. As it turned out, he was waiting for them as
well, and he returned to Atlanta with us.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA

Ron Natalie
January 30th 04, 08:17 PM
"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message ...

> I saw Rudi Guilliani and Hillary Clinton arrive at Prior Aviation in
> Buffalo on the same day when they were both campaigning for the Senate. I
> talked to Patty Wagstaff in Rochester as she was clearing customs.

We used to see Patty regularly. Of course she hangared her plane at our
airport. Ran into Jack Nicholson in the waiting area at Hawthorne Dulles
once.

C J Campbell
January 30th 04, 09:29 PM
We see them fairly regularly. We have had Kid Rock, Alice Cooper, Girls Gone
Wild, Bill Gates, Paul Allen, John Nordstrom, etc. At Oakland we used to see
Al Davis quite frequently, Robert Redford, Liz Taylor, Bill Cosby's wife,
etc.

Usually we "site" celebrities somewhere between the ramp and the bathroom.

Jay Honeck
January 30th 04, 09:37 PM
We get to see Big Ten (and other) football and basketball coaches regularly.
Most of these guys make more than a mil a year (not counting Nike
endorsements), and travel with an entourage like rock stars.

We met C. Everett Koop, former "Doctor General" (or whatever they're called)
of the U.S., at the airport. He's just as funny looking in person as he
was on TV.

A couple of years ago we waited over an hour in the Warbird Section at
Oshkosh, because the crowd was abuzz with word that Tom Cruise was coming in
his P-51 Mustang. My son (age 10 at the time, and a HUGE "Top Gun" fan)
just about cried when we finally gave up and left -- it was, of course,
nothing but a false rumor.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Christine Powers
January 30th 04, 10:14 PM
I saw Rudi Gulliani at ISP one day. Showed up in a G with a entourage
that included a bunch of guys that looked like mafia hit-men.

Dave Reinhart

Ben Smith wrote:
> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
> some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera guys
> in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
> story about him the night before...
>
> Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he was
> alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)

Jeff Franks
January 30th 04, 10:38 PM
Isn't it funny how every group of people have their own celebrities? Patty
Wagstaff can go to Walmart and not be recognized....except the walmart in
OSH around the end of July.

I was standing in line for a KISS reunion concert a few years back in
Nashville. Turned around and standing right behind me was Hoot Gibson (at
the time he'd just retired from the Astronaut Corps). Well, I stood there
and talked to him for several minutes and then had to explaing to everyone
who he was (no one else was as intrigued as me :)

oh well.

It was more fun than meeting hillrah.

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
>
> > I saw Rudi Guilliani and Hillary Clinton arrive at Prior Aviation in
> > Buffalo on the same day when they were both campaigning for the Senate.
> > talked to Patty Wagstaff in Rochester as she was clearing customs.
> >
> We used to see Patty regularly. Of course she hangared her plane at our
> airport. Ran into Jack Nicholson in the waiting area at Hawthorne Dulles
> once.

Maule Driver
January 30th 04, 11:15 PM
Well, very often. After all, that's what happens over "on the other side of
the airport". A couple of those celebrity sightings is what made me realize
how nice it is to be able to use the FBO at major airports instead of
searching around for the lowest cost fuel and free tiedown at Podunk. It's
not the celebrity sightings that makes it nice but rather location,
facilities and services. It's a luxury to not have to go thru the cattle
chute, 'er I mean, the passenger terminal.

One that kind of cracked me up was seeing NASCAR celeb Richard Petty alight
from his King Air. The guy understands image marketing (or he's shy as
hell). As dusk settled on KGSO, he exited the King Air with hat and
sunglasses and western suit all in place. He was meeting no one and was
with no one except a small entourage but he stayed in character thru the
little FBO and out to whereever. I'm sure it's not a natural act to keep
the hat and shades on while moving one's carcass from King Air seat to bed
somewhere but he was up to it.

BTW, I love NASCAR even though I don't know squat about it other than they
all fly and that means top quality GA airports all over the Carolinas. Long
live NASCAR! GO PANTHERS!!

"Ben Smith" > wrote in message
> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
> some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera
guys
> in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
> story about him the night before...
>
> Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he
was
> alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)
>
> --
> Ben
> C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Maule Driver
January 30th 04, 11:21 PM
"Ben Smith" > wrote in message
> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder).

One person's celeb is another's "who is that?". I wouldn't know Joe Francis
from a hole.

But isn't it kind of funny how you know when you see some people that they
are anticipating being recognized because of some level of celeb status.
But when you don't have a clue you can sometimes sense a bit of regret
mixed with relief on their part.

Roger Halstead
January 31st 04, 04:45 AM
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:14:33 GMT, Christine Powers
> wrote:

>I saw Rudi Gulliani at ISP one day. Showed up in a G with a entourage
>that included a bunch of guys that looked like mafia hit-men.

With a last name like that, they probaly were.<:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>Dave Reinhart

>Ben Smith wrote:
>> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
>> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
>> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
>> some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera guys
>> in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
>> story about him the night before...
>>
>> Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he was
>> alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)

Jeff Franks
January 31st 04, 04:50 AM

> BTW, I love NASCAR even though I don't know squat about it other than they
> all fly and that means top quality GA airports all over the Carolinas.
Long
> live NASCAR! GO PANTHERS!!

I enjoy watching the races, and was even talked into going to a race at
Talledega a few years back. Although it was fun, the best part was sitting
on the car waiting for the traffic to clear....we watched most of the
drivers take off from the ajoining airport. Some niiiiicceee planes in
those fleets.

I won't comment on the Panthers bit ;)

ShawnD2112
January 31st 04, 12:44 PM
Interesting point. I met the captain of the England Rugby team in my local
pub (he is also captain of the Leicester Foxes professional rugy team).
Now, I'm not a sports fan, much less a rugby fan, so I wouldn't have known
this guy from a hole in the ground. I just chatted to him as he waited for
a drink at the bar. Asked him what he did for a living. After a short
pause and blank look, he told me he played rugby (at which point I lost
interest, to be frank), but we chatted a bit about that for a couple of
minutes. it wasn't until later in the week that I saw a national paper that
I recognized who he, and 3 of his mates, were.

I think he was distinctly unimpressed that I wasn't impressed. i still
kinda chuckle about that.

Shawn
"Maule Driver" > wrote in message
. com...
> "Ben Smith" > wrote in message
> > How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at
your
> > FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and
it
> > ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder).
>
> One person's celeb is another's "who is that?". I wouldn't know Joe
Francis
> from a hole.
>
> But isn't it kind of funny how you know when you see some people that they
> are anticipating being recognized because of some level of celeb status.
> But when you don't have a clue you can sometimes sense a bit of regret
> mixed with relief on their part.

Thomas Borchert
January 31st 04, 01:25 PM
Ben,

I saw Aerosmith arrive in Hamburg, Germany one day.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Thomas Borchert
January 31st 04, 01:25 PM
Jay,

> Tom Cruise was coming in
> his P-51 Mustang.

Is he even a pilot?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Jim Fisher
January 31st 04, 02:31 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> We see them fairly regularly. We have had ( . . .) Girls Gone
> Wild,

All of 'em?

--
Jim Fisher

EDR
January 31st 04, 03:02 PM
In article >, Jeff Franks
> wrote:

> I enjoy watching the races, and was even talked into going to a race at
> Talledega a few years back. Although it was fun, the best part was sitting
> on the car waiting for the traffic to clear....we watched most of the
> drivers take off from the ajoining airport. Some niiiiicceee planes in
> those fleets.

You missed a great opportunity!
Arriving and departing are kind of like AirVenture, only less
organization.

The heavy iron gets to sit on the paved ramps, the rest of us get to
park on the grass. (You can even camp if you are parked by the trees!)
We arrived "late", just in time to get parked and hitch a ride to the
south side stands, get seated and watch the start of the race. Straight
in approach from the north, no other traffic.

Departing, if you are quick, you can get to your airplane, crank, taxi
and depart before the line starts forming.

I had to pay for fuel, so by the time I got back to the plane the line
was already 1.5 miles long.

We elected to pull our Bonanza from the grass to the taxiway by the
runway (a good one half-mile, slightly uphill). We were at the south
end of the field, traffic was departing to the south, so we had the
full length of the taxiway to go. We pulled the airplane for the first
couple hundred feet, at which point the aircraft ahead began to start
up.

The temporary tower was stuffing heavy iron on IFR flight plans into
the line at intervals, allowing the VFR aircraft to depart quickly.

We got to the airplane following the race at 4:30 pm.
We were wheels off at 7:00 pm.
Another Bonanza ahead of us let his engine run the entire 2.5 hours we
were waiting on the ground.

Richard Hertz
January 31st 04, 03:27 PM
Nancy Reagan showed up at PHF for the ceremony for launching the aircraft
carrier. I was wondering what all these guys with earpieces were doing
around the FBO - secret service - these guys must have been the 3rd
string - they didn't really impress me much, though maybe that is part of
the routine.

That FBO also was frequented by a guy who used a King Air to fly convicts
around. I have to say that was a great inspiration - being paid to fly
(making real money) and carrying firearms.

I saw the (then) governor of NJ fly into a MD airport (forget which one)
when I was checking out a plane to buy. Christie Whitman (sp?)
They didn't get many twins at this airport - it was a really short field, so
everyone was craning their necks to see what was going on.

"Ben Smith" > wrote in message
> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
> some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera
guys
> in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
> story about him the night before...
>
> Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he
was
> alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)
>
> --
> Ben
> C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

C J Campbell
January 31st 04, 03:45 PM
"Jim Fisher" > wrote in message

| "C J Campbell" > wrote in message
| > We see them fairly regularly. We have had ( . . .) Girls Gone
| > Wild,
|
| All of 'em?

I wouldn't know. There was a bunch. Having never seen the show, it sure
seemed like all of 'em.

G.R. Patterson III
January 31st 04, 04:18 PM
Thomas Borchert wrote:

> > Tom Cruise was coming in his P-51 Mustang.
>
> Is he even a pilot?

He's not in the database at landings.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.

Jeff
January 31st 04, 06:21 PM
the GGW guy a celeb ?
Arrested for filming underage girls and drug possession, that girls gone wild
founder.

Ben Smith wrote:

> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
> some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera guys
> in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
> story about him the night before...
>
> Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he was
> alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)
>
> --
> Ben
> C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Newps
January 31st 04, 07:32 PM
G.R. Patterson III wrote:

> Thomas Borchert wrote:
>
>>>Tom Cruise was coming in his P-51 Mustang.
>>
>>Is he even a pilot?
>

> He's not in the database at landings.

His real name may not be Tom Cruise.

Jay Honeck
January 31st 04, 07:59 PM
> >>Is he even a pilot?
> >
> > He's not in the database at landings.
>
> His real name may not be Tom Cruise.

According to interviews I've seen, he *is* a pilot.

His real name is "Thomas Cruise Maphother IV"

(Source:
http://www.the-movie-times.com/thrsdir/actors/actorProfiles.mv?tomcruise )

Nothing under that name at www.Landings.com though...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Tom Sixkiller
January 31st 04, 08:42 PM
"Newps" > wrote in message

> G.R. Patterson III wrote:

> >>Is he even a pilot?
> >

> > He's not in the database at landings.
>
> His real name may not be Tom Cruise.

It's Thomas Cruise Mapother IV

Chuck
January 31st 04, 09:04 PM
"Tom Fleischman" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...
> In article >, Ben Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at
your
> > FBO?
>
> Who cares. My work brings me into contact with a lot of "celebrities".
> A lot of them are very nice people, some are not, but they are all just
> humans like the rest of us.

Maybe the people who DON'T get to see celebrities everyday think that it's a
big deal...

And actually, who cares about your work?

---

Ditch
January 31st 04, 10:52 PM
>Who cares. My work brings me into contact with a lot of "celebrities".
>A lot of them are very nice people, some are not, but they are all just
>humans like the rest of us.

Your brownie button is in the mail.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*

Ditch
January 31st 04, 10:53 PM
I've seen Jenna Jameson and Pamela Anderson (Seperate times) at LGB, and I've
flown with Michael Dorn when he had his T-33.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*

Chuck
February 1st 04, 12:16 AM
"Tom Fleischman" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...
> In article et>,
> Chuck > wrote:
>
> > "Tom Fleischman" > wrote in
message
> > rthlink.net...
> > > In article >, Ben Smith

> > your
> > >
> > > Who cares. My work brings me into contact with a lot of "celebrities".
> > > A lot of them are very nice people, some are not, but they are all
just
> > > humans like the rest of us.
> > >

> > Maybe the people who DON'T get to see celebrities everyday think that
it's a
> > big deal...
> >
> > And actually, who cares about your work?
>
> And it's obvious which category you fit into.

Really... I would figure that I fall into both categories. More in the 2nd
than the 1st one though.

---

Brad Z
February 1st 04, 01:46 AM
There's a listing for a Thomas C Mapother, Private Pilot ASEL. Must be his
father or grandfather, this certificate was issued in 1947.

It wouldn't surprise me if the "real" Tom Cruise opted to not be listed
publicly.

> > > He's not in the database at landings.
> >
> > His real name may not be Tom Cruise.
>
> It's Thomas Cruise Mapother IV

Jeff Franks
February 1st 04, 05:32 AM
YOU!?!?! you should have been there!

I turned around and saw him and thought "Is that Hoot Gibson???". Then the
more I listened to him talk and looked at him (you know, those passing
glances from 3 ft away lol).

He was there with his 14 yr old kid. His kid thought it was cool that I
recognized his dad. He honestly didn't think that dad did anything
special.....lol

"Nomen Nescio" ]> wrote in message

Jay Honeck
February 1st 04, 02:09 PM
> It wouldn't surprise me if the "real" Tom Cruise opted to not be listed
> publicly.

I didn't think you could "opt out" totally? I was under the impression that
you could only omit your social security number, for security reasons.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Thomas Borchert
February 1st 04, 03:22 PM
Ditch,

> I've seen Jenna Jameson

so you'd recognize Jenna Jameson??? Bad Boy! <gd&r>

I only know the name from the spam I get, of course.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

G.R. Patterson III
February 1st 04, 03:32 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> I didn't think you could "opt out" totally?

You can. I got a postcard from the FAA about three years ago describing how to
get your listing out of the database. There was some sort of lawsuit about invasion
of privacy. They tried to actually get the FAA to make the database private, but
the courts ruled simply to allow individuals to restrict their own entries.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.

Ben Smith
February 1st 04, 06:12 PM
> the GGW guy a celeb ?
> Arrested for filming underage girls and drug possession, that girls gone
wild
> founder.

Well, it doesn't make him any less famous, that's for sure.. Look at others
like Eminem, Kobe, Martha Stewart, Michael Jackson, etc...

Tom Sixkiller
February 1st 04, 08:42 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> Jay Honeck wrote:
> >
> > I didn't think you could "opt out" totally?
>
> You can. I got a postcard from the FAA about three years ago describing
how to
> get your listing out of the database. There was some sort of lawsuit about
invasion
> of privacy. They tried to actually get the FAA to make the database
private, but
> the courts ruled simply to allow individuals to restrict their own
entries.

Three years? Hell, our state DMV only did it last year. And they had to be
dragged, kicking and screaming, to do it then.

Chris Schmelzer
February 2nd 04, 04:03 AM
In article >,
"Ben Smith" > wrote:

> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
> some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera guys
> in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
> story about him the night before...
>
> Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he was
> alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)

Kevin McHale in Minneapolis at Signature Aviation

Ditch
February 2nd 04, 06:26 AM
>I only know the name from the spam I get, of course.

Of course! :)

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*

February 2nd 04, 03:30 PM
The occasional celebrity drops by N07, which is strange for such a small
airport. Go into the restaurant and you'll see the pictures. In recent
history:

- Harrison Ford dropped by while preparing for 6 days, 7 nights (he also
trained at Andover for that I believe).
- A scene from the Sopranos was filmed on the field, several pictures in one
of the FBOs I believe.

cheers,
mark

"Ben Smith" > wrote in message
> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
> some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera
guys
> in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
> story about him the night before...
>
> Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he
was
> alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)
>
> --
> Ben
> C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Ron Natalie
February 2nd 04, 05:56 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message ...

> You can. I got a postcard from the FAA about three years ago describing how to
> get your listing out of the database. There was some sort of lawsuit about invasion
> of privacy. They tried to actually get the FAA to make the database private, but
> the courts ruled simply to allow individuals to restrict their own entries.

There was NO lawsuit. The FAA was just informed (rightfully) that the distribution
of the database was a violation of the privacy act (no bones about it, it was clearly
wrong). They had to get a congressional exemption to reinstate it, but that exemption
included the requirement that pilots be given the chance to opt out and that everybody
be informed of the option.

Unfortunately, if you didn't take that oppurtunity then, the FAA has made it impossible
to opt out now. I've been trying for over a year.

Ron Natalie
February 2nd 04, 05:57 PM
"Tom Sixkiller" > wrote in message ...

> Three years? Hell, our state DMV only did it last year. And they had to be
> dragged, kicking and screaming, to do it then.

The state is not subject to the federal privacy act laws which is what got the FAA.

Jay Honeck
February 5th 04, 03:44 PM
> Unfortunately, if you didn't take that oppurtunity then, the FAA has made
it impossible
> to opt out now. I've been trying for over a year.

Why?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ron Natalie
February 5th 04, 05:13 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:extUb.224036$I06.2442033@attbi_s01...
> > Unfortunately, if you didn't take that oppurtunity then, the FAA has made
> it impossible
> > to opt out now. I've been trying for over a year.
>
> Why?
> --
Why do I want to opt out or why is it impossible?

John Gaquin
February 5th 04, 06:47 PM
> Ben Smith wrote:
> > How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at
your

Used to carry a long list of well-knowns out to Nantucket and Martha's
Vineyard when I flew for a Massachusetts commuter about 25 years ago or so.
Most were OK, some were arrogant a$#&oles. Finest in the bunch were Jerry
Stiller and Ann Meara. Real folks with no pretensions.

I ran into Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins in the base ops vending room at
Buckley Field in Colorado in late 72 or 73. My friends and I were
private/student pilots in the base Aero Club; they had just flown in in
their T-38s enroute to some NASA contractor. They sat down and we all
chatted for 10 minutes or so. Major league memory.

When flying a 747 freighter, carried a planeload [one of two] of tour
equipment out of Paris for Guns & Roses. Only met the roadies, never Axel
or anyone else -- they don't ride on the truck! In the same line of work,
while waiting for a crew van to pick us up at the hotel about 0300 in Buenos
Aires, we went into the hotel coffee shop to wait. Only other folks in
there were Cyndi Lauper and one of her staffers (manager?). The six of us
wound up talking for about 20 or 30 minutes. Don't believe her public
persona -- that is one very sharp lady.

Not Flying related:
I met Roy Orbison on 2 different occasions. He played a few nights at the
USAF NCO Club in Ankara some time in 1971. I got a chance to meet him
briefly, seemed a nice guy. Some time in 1976, I ran into him again in a
hotel lobby in Townsville, Australia. Still a nice guy, but seemed a little
non-plussed when I mentioned Ankara. (faux pas?)

In college ( I think 1966) some friends and I met George Gobel in a hotel
bar in Philadelphia. If you remember George Gobel, you're more than likely
wearing glasses to read this. He was playing at a nearby club, and we were
in town for a football game, I think. He was very gregarious, and way ahead
of us on drink count. The four of us wound up striking up a conversation,
and he insisted on buying us drinks. That was a long night, and it was
painful for a couple of days afterward, too.

Great memories.........

Jay Honeck
February 5th 04, 08:41 PM
> > Why?
> > --
> Why do I want to opt out or why is it impossible?

Why would you want to opt out of the pilot's database?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Big John
February 5th 04, 08:57 PM
John

----clip----

In college ( I think 1966) some friends and I met George Gobel in a
hotel bar in Philadelphia. If you remember George Gobel, you're more
than likely wearing glasses to read this. He was playing at a nearby
club, and we were in town for a football game, I think. He was very
gregarious, and way ahead of us on drink count. The four of us wound
up striking up a conversation, and he insisted on buying us drinks.
That was a long night, and it was painful for a couple of days
afterward, too.

Great memories.........

I was mistaken many times for "Lonesome George" :o)

Big John

Big John
February 6th 04, 12:50 AM
Didn't 'Lonsesome George' fly something in the AAC/USAF? C-47 maybe?

Big John

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:57:06 -0600, Big John >
wrote:

>John
>
>----clip----
>
>In college ( I think 1966) some friends and I met George Gobel in a
>hotel bar in Philadelphia. If you remember George Gobel, you're more
>than likely wearing glasses to read this. He was playing at a nearby
>club, and we were in town for a football game, I think. He was very
>gregarious, and way ahead of us on drink count. The four of us wound
>up striking up a conversation, and he insisted on buying us drinks.
>That was a long night, and it was painful for a couple of days
>afterward, too.
>
>Great memories.........
>
>I was mistaken many times for "Lonesome George" :o)
>
>Big John

John Gaquin
February 6th 04, 05:32 AM
"Big John" > wrote in message
> Didn't 'Lonsesome George' fly something in the AAC/USAF? C-47 maybe?

I found no reference to any veteran status in a brief google search,
although he was of age.

Big John
February 6th 04, 07:40 PM
John

I couldn't find via Google either but am almost sure he flew
something. Maybe someone reading will jump in with the info?

Have a good week end.

Big John

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:32:07 -0500, "John Gaquin"
> wrote:

>"Big John" > wrote in message
>> Didn't 'Lonsesome George' fly something in the AAC/USAF? C-47 maybe?
>>

>I found no reference to any veteran status in a brief google search,
>although he was of age.

Robert M. Gary
February 6th 04, 08:55 PM
"Ben Smith" > wrote in message >...
> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
> some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera guys
> in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
> story about him the night before...
>
> Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he was
> alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)

Its not going to be too often. When I've been waiting, sitting at the
large airport's FBOs I've noticed that the only one who does any
waiting are the flight crew. Often times one crew member is stationed
at the door. The GPU is running 30 minutes before the client arives.
When the car pulls up, duck for cover because those guys are running
(yes, really running, full sprint) to the plane. The goal seems to be
taxiing by the time the client gets the door closed behind them. I've
often heard charters on ground frequency saying they'll be ready to go
as soon as the client gets up the steps. While one pilot taxis the
other is getting take off clearance or release (depending if there is
a tower) before they even get to the runway. The market has some much
competition you'll die pretty quick if you let your clients sit around
and wait. They can do that on SouthWest.

-Robert

Robert M. Gary
February 6th 04, 09:01 PM
"Ben Smith" > wrote in message >...
> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO? A few months ago, I was at MSN, and saw a Gulfstream pull up and it
> ended up being Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild video founder). He was doing
> some filming on the UW Campus that night, and there were about 4 camera guys
> in his entourage. I had only recognized him because I saw an E channel
> story about him the night before...
>
> Others around MSN said they used to see Chris Farley often, back when he was
> alive and well. (His hometown was Madison)

I've met way more celeb's on United than I've even come close to at
the FBO. I spent quite a bit of time talking to Erin Grey years ago
when her sitcom was still on the air (can't remember the name). She
gave me an autograph from Lou Ferrigno whom she had just finished
shooting something with. She had 3 guys traveling with her. Probably a
manager and handlers.

-Robert

Robert M. Gary
February 6th 04, 09:12 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message >...
> "Jim Fisher" > wrote in message
> |
> | "C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> | > We see them fairly regularly. We have had ( . . .) Girls Gone
> | > Wild,
> |
> | All of 'em?
>
> I wouldn't know. There was a bunch. Having never seen the show, it sure
> seemed like all of 'em.

Were they going wild? :) Actually there are no specific girls. The
girls on the show are random ones they find around. The ones that
travel with the guy are his own personal ones.

Robert M. Gary
February 6th 04, 09:14 PM
"Maule Driver" > wrote in message >...
> One that kind of cracked me up was seeing NASCAR celeb Richard Petty alight
> from his King Air. The guy understands image marketing (or he's shy as
> hell). As dusk settled on KGSO, he exited the King Air with hat and
> sunglasses and western suit all in place. He was meeting no one and was
> with no one except a small entourage but he stayed in character thru the
> little FBO and out to whereever. I'm sure it's not a natural act to keep
> the hat and shades on while moving one's carcass from King Air seat to bed
> somewhere but he was up to it.

Here he is with his toys.

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/turboprop/turboprop10.html

G.R. Patterson III
February 7th 04, 01:19 AM
Big John wrote:

> Didn't 'Lonsesome George' fly something in the AAC/USAF? C-47 maybe?

He instructed in B-26s.
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~goble/homepage/stories/dirtybird.htm

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.

Tom Sixkiller
February 7th 04, 02:30 AM
"Big John" > wrote in message
> John
>
> I couldn't find via Google either but am almost sure he flew
> something. Maybe someone reading will jump in with the info?
>
> Have a good week end.
>
> Big John

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0323597/bio

Squat, easygoing, brushcut-blond George Gobel first won Midwest attention
singing as "Little Georgie Gobel" on radio. He also toured with country
music bands while billed as "The Littlest Cowboy." His career was
interrupted by WWII, in which he served as a pilot instructor. He also began
doing standup for his fellow servicemen and took to the nightclub, hotel and
county fair circuit in subsequent years. His mild-mannered, cracker-barrel
style of comedy caught fire when he hit the TV waves in 1952 and he
subsequently starred on his own "George Gobel Show, The" (1954), winning an
Emmy award for his efforts.

> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:32:07 -0500, "John Gaquin"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Big John" > wrote in message
> >> Didn't 'Lonsesome George' fly something in the AAC/USAF? C-47 maybe?
> >>

> >I found no reference to any veteran status in a brief google search,
> >although he was of age.

Big John
February 7th 04, 04:03 AM
Tom

Tnx for posting the info on Lonesome George. Was sure had been a pilot
in WWII and knew that somone older than me would remember :o)

I just got zapped on another thread for posting off thread and you
save my butt here <G>

Big John

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:30:58 -0700, "Tom Sixkiller" >
wrote:

>"Big John" > wrote in message
>> John
>>
>> I couldn't find via Google either but am almost sure he flew
>> something. Maybe someone reading will jump in with the info?
>>
>> Have a good week end.
>>
>> Big John
>
>http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0323597/bio
>
>Squat, easygoing, brushcut-blond George Gobel first won Midwest attention
>singing as "Little Georgie Gobel" on radio. He also toured with country
>music bands while billed as "The Littlest Cowboy." His career was
>interrupted by WWII, in which he served as a pilot instructor. He also began
>doing standup for his fellow servicemen and took to the nightclub, hotel and
>county fair circuit in subsequent years. His mild-mannered, cracker-barrel
>style of comedy caught fire when he hit the TV waves in 1952 and he
>subsequently starred on his own "George Gobel Show, The" (1954), winning an
>Emmy award for his efforts.
>

>> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:32:07 -0500, "John Gaquin"
>> > wrote:

>> >I found no reference to any veteran status in a brief google search,
>> >although he was of age.

John Gaquin
February 7th 04, 05:44 AM
Thanks, George

Chuck
February 7th 04, 07:45 AM
"Big John" > wrote in message

<snip>

> I just got zapped on another thread for posting off thread and you
> save my butt here <G>
>
> Big John

<snip>

Uh-oh...

Sounds like Larry might be at it again...

---

Tom Sixkiller
February 7th 04, 09:55 AM
"Big John" > wrote in message
> Tom
>
> Tnx for posting the info on Lonesome George. Was sure had been a pilot
> in WWII and knew that somone older than me would remember :o)
>
> I just got zapped on another thread for posting off thread and you
> save my butt here <G>

Delighted to be of service!

Another from "Lonesome George" on "Hollywood Squares"

Q. True or False, a pea can last as long as 5,000 years.
A. George Gobel: Boy, it sure seems that way sometimes.

> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:30:58 -0700, "Tom Sixkiller" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Big John" > wrote in message
> >> John
> >>
> >> I couldn't find via Google either but am almost sure he flew
> >> something. Maybe someone reading will jump in with the info?
> >>
> >> Have a good week end.
> >>
> >> Big John
> >
> >http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0323597/bio
> >
> >Squat, easygoing, brushcut-blond George Gobel first won Midwest attention
> >singing as "Little Georgie Gobel" on radio. He also toured with country
> >music bands while billed as "The Littlest Cowboy." His career was
> >interrupted by WWII, in which he served as a pilot instructor. He also
began
> >doing standup for his fellow servicemen and took to the nightclub, hotel
and
> >county fair circuit in subsequent years. His mild-mannered,
cracker-barrel
> >style of comedy caught fire when he hit the TV waves in 1952 and he
> >subsequently starred on his own "George Gobel Show, The" (1954), winning
an
> >Emmy award for his efforts.

Nick
February 7th 04, 04:51 PM
(Robert M. Gary) wrote in message >...
> "Ben Smith" > wrote in message >...
> > How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> > FBO?

I don't go to my FBO much (KPIL, Port Isabel, Texas) but when I was
there, I saw Ron Howard one day and then Bon Jovi the next. Anyone
been to KPIL? Great old WWII hangar in the middle of a wildlife
refuge.

Orval Fairbairn
February 7th 04, 08:10 PM
In article >,
(Nick) wrote:

> (Robert M. Gary) wrote in message
> > "Ben Smith" > wrote in message
> > > How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> > > FBO?
>
> I don't go to my FBO much (KPIL, Port Isabel, Texas) but when I was
> there, I saw Ron Howard one day and then Bon Jovi the next. Anyone
> been to KPIL? Great old WWII hangar in the middle of a wildlife
> refuge.

About 20 years ago, when I was sbased at Palo Alto, a Twin Beech (Model
18 for the younger set) landed as I was in the runup area. It was Merv
Griffen.

Paul Folbrecht
February 7th 04, 08:52 PM
Guess what? Mr. Rudi Gulliani has possibly done more to rid the United
States and especially NY of Italian-oriented organized crime than
anybody in history. As state attorney general he led a crusade against
the mob that successfully convicted several bosses (I believe he
prosecuted the heads of all five families), and would probably have
convicted Paul Castellano as well (don of the Gambino family) had not
John Gotti murdered him first. That's pretty much how Gulliani made his
name in NY.

So, if you ever meet him, don't tell him he looks like a mobster- he'll
probably have your legs broken. ;-)

Roger Halstead wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:14:33 GMT, Christine Powers
> > wrote:
>

>>I saw Rudi Gulliani at ISP one day. Showed up in a G with a entourage
>>that included a bunch of guys that looked like mafia hit-men.
>

> With a last name like that, they probaly were.<:-))

Chuck
February 7th 04, 10:50 PM
"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message

<snip>

> About 20 years ago, when I was sbased at Palo Alto, a Twin Beech (Model
> 18 for the younger set) landed as I was in the runup area. It was Merv
> Griffen.

At A&P school we had a Beech 18. Supposedly it belonged to Merv Griffin.
Probably the same plane...

---

smackey
February 10th 04, 04:14 AM
"Ben Smith" > wrote in message >...
> How often do you guys see celebrities, or otherwise famous people at your
> FBO?

1. In 1999 when I landed at a flyin at West Yellowstone (WYS),
Harrison Ford landed his plane for fuel. In the airport lobby a
little boy yelled out "Look, it's Indiana Jones!" (True story)

2. Here at BIL, Frank Borman used to hanger his plane(s) next to me.
He still might be there. I've moved. Newps, is he still there?

Newps
February 10th 04, 03:04 PM
smackey wrote:

> 1. In 1999 when I landed at a flyin at West Yellowstone (WYS),
> Harrison Ford landed his plane for fuel. In the airport lobby a
> little boy yelled out "Look, it's Indiana Jones!" (True story)
>
> 2. Here at BIL, Frank Borman used to hanger his plane(s) next to me.
> He still might be there. I've moved. Newps, is he still there?

Yep, he's still here. He has a huge spread down on the Bighorn river
about 50 miles from here. He will keep his P51, his Citation, his MU2
or his twin Cessna here at various times.
Where did you move to?

smackey
February 11th 04, 01:45 AM
Newps > wrote in message news:<5q6Wb.140485$U%5.644983@attbi_s03>...
> smackey wrote:
>

> > 1. In 1999 when I landed at a flyin at West Yellowstone (WYS),
> > Harrison Ford landed his plane for fuel. In the airport lobby a
> > little boy yelled out "Look, it's Indiana Jones!" (True story)
> >
> > 2. Here at BIL, Frank Borman used to hanger his plane(s) next to me.
> > He still might be there. I've moved. Newps, is he still there?
>
> Yep, he's still here. He has a huge spread down on the Bighorn river
> about 50 miles from here. He will keep his P51, his Citation, his MU2
> or his twin Cessna here at various times.
> Where did you move to?

I'm down in the old Corp Air hanger with the arched roof and the big
prop in front on the pole, just east of the tower. I wish it were
heated, but the other one wasn't either, and it's nice to be able to
call Edwards and have them pull my plane out and put it back for me.

As for Frank, I saw those planes; he seemed to have a different one
each week. He was always very friendly, and actually was the first to
initiate contact with this former neighbor.

smackey
N739AJ

Google