PDA

View Full Version : YAFSS

Dave D
February 1st 04, 07:50 AM
First solo today. Beautiful clear skies like I have'nt seen for a few weeks
here. Wind was just a few knots right down the runway. We got out early
before the pattern filled up, just a few planes all departing the scene.
Can't wait until I can take off on my own cross county trips. Did I mention
that it was just a perfect morning for flying? Can't believe its done, seems
like it was over so quick.

The night before, I was pretty nervous. I had some fun, though, putting
together the ballast I would need to keep the CG within limits when my
instructor got out. Half tanks required about 35 lbs in the baggage area. I
went to my bookshelf and dusted off some of my heaviest books from grad
school. My wife was not impressed as I mentioned that I knew they would
come in handy some day. I thought about crashing, and being trapped in the
burning wreckage. Seeing Jackson's "Clasical Electrodynamics" going up in
flames would at least give me some satisfaction. Goldstein, too. How the
hell was a Lagrangian ever going to keep me from ground looping, anyway?

I had the plane ready and the tie downs removed as my instructor walked up.
To test his handheld, we checked the ATIS. A small surprise was that the
PAPI was down. "PAPI," my instructor said "we don't need no stinkin' PAPI".
"Yeah" I added, adjusting my cap and crossing my arms across my chest. But
wait, I still use the PAPI, I was thinking. I always come in high, and
seeing it go red-white is comforting, just like my two year old's night
light is for him. But a taildragger pilot can't back out because of the
stinkin' PAPI. Suck it up,dude.

Three laps around the pattern, together, went pretty smooth. The first
landing I was pointing a little off at touchdown, so we jerked around
little, but I controlled it OK. That, I think gave me more confidence even
than the last landing which was a beauty. I had the approach all worked out
too. I was landing right on the numbers which was novel since the PAPI
brings you about a 1/3 of the way down the runway.

We both agree its OK to let me go for it, and he gets out at a bench on the
parallel. I taxi back and get cleared right away. I do lights-camera-action
and I down the runway. The tail come up easier. My CFI mentioned that. I
also asked him about elevator trim stalls in case of a go around. He said
not to worry, it won't pitch so I can't control it with the stick. Up I
went, almost 1000 fpm, cool. Levelled out at TPA on upwind. Being a tandem,
it really did'nt feel all that different. I can't see my instructor anyway,
he's just a disembodied voice in my headset. He's pretty relaxed too and
just lets me figure it out myself, in his usual Socratic way of teaching,
without talking too much.

So everything was going OK. Until downwind when the little song from my
son's Nemo movie began playing in my head: "just keep swimming, just keep
swimming ..." (he watched that thing every day for about a month after we
got the DVD). Great, just like Yeager or Ernie Gann in their most dire
moments, I'm sure. "Just keep swimming ...". On final I turned it into "Keep
that stick back, Keep that stick back ...", which was at least useful since
I have a habit of not holding it back firm after the wheels touch. Got it
down on the numbers, on the centerline, and made the first turn off.
Something I've never done before. Got the big thumbs up from my CFI and went
back to Rwy 31.

Last two laps went OK too. My last landing was a little squirrely with a
little bounce on the upwind wheel before settling. Later my instructor said
the last two were'nt completely stalled, but I held three-point attitude OK
throughout.

Its been a great day. I really feel like I belong out there now. Like a real
pilot. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and encouragement on this
board. Hey, if I can do it, anyone can!

Dave Dougherty
7ECA
29.9 hrs (0.5 PIC)

Jay Honeck
February 1st 04, 03:07 PM
> Its been a great day. I really feel like I belong out there now. Like a
real
> pilot. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and encouragement on this
> board. Hey, if I can do it, anyone can!

Congrats, man. Great story!

Soloing is one of the "Top Five" days of my life, along with the births of
my kids, getting married, and passing my checkride...

You'll never forget it...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

B25flyer
February 1st 04, 03:32 PM
Dave.

CONGRATS!!!!! And in a 7ECA at that!!

Also a nice description of the days events

..>29.9 hrs (0.5 PIC)

Get started off right on keeping time in the log. That "0.5 PIC" is to be
logged as solo.Once you get the PPL it will be PIC.

Walt
7AC N83321 under restoration

EDR
February 1st 04, 04:55 PM
Congratulations on learning the correct way to fly!
(Taildragger, of course!)

A Lieberman
February 1st 04, 09:28 PM
B25flyer wrote:

> Get started off right on keeping time in the log. That "0.5 PIC" is to be
> logged as solo.Once you get the PPL it will be PIC.

B25, better get your flame suite *smile*.

Since Dave was the only one in the airplane (I.E. solo), I don't think
anybody else can be PIC??? Doesn't matter whether you have your ticket
or a student, if you are solo, you are PIC.

Allen

Paul Sengupta
February 4th 04, 05:19 PM
See? :-P You told them you could do it! :-)

Well done!

Paul

"Dave D" > wrote in message
> First solo today.