PDA

View Full Version : Spliting GPS out

November 20th 12, 03:34 PM
How do you "split" NEMA out data? Can it be split more than once without degrading the signal? What "electronics" are required to do this?

Example: take GPS from PowerFLARM to PNA and ACK E-04 ELT.

Ben

Grider Pirate[_2_]
November 20th 12, 03:47 PM
On Nov 20, 7:34*am, wrote:
> How do you "split" NEMA out data? Can it be split more than once without degrading the signal? What "electronics" are required to do this?
>
> Example: take GPS from PowerFLARM to PNA and ACK E-04 ELT.
>
> Ben

You can "Fan out" the transmit side to more than one device. The
RS-232 input impedence is pretty high, so signal degradation is not
usually a problem.

Michael Huber
November 20th 12, 08:38 PM
> Example: take GPS from PowerFLARM to PNA and ACK E-04 ELT.

If you want to output collision warnings to the PNA the original Flarm
needs at least 19200bd, but the E-04 only accepts up to 9600bps. You
might want to check if this is the same for the Power Flarm.

Michael

November 20th 12, 11:34 PM
Good point Michael.

> If you want to output collision warnings to the PNA the original Flarm needs at least 19200bd, but the E-04 only accepts up to 9600bps. You might want to check if this is the same for the Power Flarm.

bumper[_4_]
November 21st 12, 01:07 AM
On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:34:54 AM UTC-8, wrote:
> How do you "split" NEMA out data? Can it be split more than once without degrading the signal? What "electronics" are required to do this?
>

> Example: take GPS from PowerFLARM to PNA and ACK E-04 ELT.
>

> Ben

The K6 MUX will do it, and deal with different boud rate requirements as well.

See: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/k6.htm

(You're welcome, Paul R.)

bumper

StaPo
November 21st 12, 04:51 AM
if you need different baud rates from one GPS source,
some multiplexing unit is necessary. But it will be probably cheaper
to buy separate simple GPS puck with serial RS232 NMEA ouput to feed E-04.

Paul Remde
November 21st 12, 01:51 PM
Hi,

It is true that a K6 Mux could be used to do the job very nicely. However,
the note below is not correct. The ACK E-04 has pins for a jumper (not
provided) that can be used to change the baud rate. Several months ago I
purchased a jumper and set the baud rate to 4800 baud for a customer. I
also sell a nice Goddard wiring harness for the E-04 with a blinking light
to indicate GPS data receptions.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ack.htm#Cable-E04-DB9m-LED-12V-0.3

As stated before here, the GPS data can be split to go to multiple devices.
2 receivers nearly always works great. 3 works great sometimes. If a
simple split doesn't work then a K6 Mux is a good idea. If you are relying
on the data for an emergency with the E-04, then perhaps it makes sense to
invest in the K6 Mux to ensure the signals are strong.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/k6.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Michael Huber" wrote in message ...

> Example: take GPS from PowerFLARM to PNA and ACK E-04 ELT.

If you want to output collision warnings to the PNA the original Flarm
needs at least 19200bd, but the E-04 only accepts up to 9600bps. You
might want to check if this is the same for the Power Flarm.

Michael

Michael Huber
November 22nd 12, 05:23 PM
Paul,

the E-04 can use different baud rates, but according to the manual,
only up to 9600bd. There is a jumper to set baud rate on the E-04, but
no setting for 19200bd or more.

Michael

"Paul Remde" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> It is true that a K6 Mux could be used to do the job very nicely.
> However, the note below is not correct. The ACK E-04 has pins for a
> jumper (not provided) that can be used to change the baud rate.
> Several months ago I purchased a jumper and set the baud rate to
> 4800 baud for a customer. I also sell a nice Goddard wiring harness
> for the E-04 with a blinking light to indicate GPS data receptions.
> http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ack.htm#Cable-E04-DB9m-LED-12V-0.3
>
> As stated before here, the GPS data can be split to go to multiple
> devices. 2 receivers nearly always works great. 3 works great
> sometimes. If a simple split doesn't work then a K6 Mux is a good
> idea. If you are relying on the data for an emergency with the
> E-04, then perhaps it makes sense to invest in the K6 Mux to ensure
> the signals are strong.
> http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/k6.htm
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul Remde
> Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
>
> "Michael Huber" wrote in message
>
>> Example: take GPS from PowerFLARM to PNA and ACK E-04 ELT.
>
> If you want to output collision warnings to the PNA the original
> Flarm
> needs at least 19200bd, but the E-04 only accepts up to 9600bps. You
> might want to check if this is the same for the Power Flarm.
>
> Michael

Kimmo Hytoenen
November 22nd 12, 09:55 PM
Some FLARM systems have two data outputs, which work
independently. It might be possible to connect one with 4800 bauds
speed, and another is adjustable. However, cannot remember now
what data this 4800 bauds link sends out. Someone, please.

Google