PDA

View Full Version : Dummies Guide to flying to Oshkosh

Ian Baren
February 2nd 04, 06:46 PM
Please pardon if this has been discussed here, but I am planning to
fly to Airventure / Oshkosh with a pilot friend (both of us are
pilot,) and I have to imagine that some kind soul out there has
written a sort of dummies guide to what to do, go, bring, see, not
bring, avoid, etc.

Any pointers to websites or message board records would be greatly
appreciated.

We will be flying from Ct, (DXR) and in a 1979 PA-28-180

Thanks!

EDR
February 2nd 04, 07:46 PM
In article >, Ian Baren
> wrote:

> Please pardon if this has been discussed here, but I am planning to
> fly to Airventure / Oshkosh with a pilot friend (both of us are
> pilot,) and I have to imagine that some kind soul out there has
> written a sort of dummies guide to what to do, go, bring, see, not
> bring, avoid, etc.
>
> Any pointers to websites or message board records would be greatly
> appreciated.

Go to www.avweb.com

Select "COLUMNS" from the left side

Select "RICK DURDEN"

He has written several articles in the past two years dealing
specifically with this subject.

Jay Honeck
February 2nd 04, 09:25 PM
> Any pointers to websites or message board records would be greatly
> appreciated.

Go to "Google Groups" and search on "Oshkosh." You'll find a gazillion tips
about flying into "The Big One."

(And "FYI" we throw a "rec.aviation" party at our campsite in the North 40
every year. Admission is either (a) a 6-pack of good beer, or (b) you buy a
round at Friar Tucks! Watch here for more info about it as we get
closer...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Morgans
February 3rd 04, 12:25 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Any pointers to websites or message board records would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> Go to "Google Groups" and search on "Oshkosh." You'll find a gazillion
tips
> about flying into "The Big One."
>
> (And "FYI" we throw a "rec.aviation" party at our campsite in the North 40
> every year. Admission is either (a) a 6-pack of good beer, or (b) you buy
> round at Friar Tucks! Watch here for more info about it as we get
> closer...)
> --
> Jay Honeck

One, read and understand the NOTAR, and read it again. Two, practice your
spot landings, and try to do them with speeds higher than you would like,
and lower than you would like. Three, practice your overhead approaches,
with keeping them really tight.
--
Jim in NC

---

Morgans
February 3rd 04, 12:35 AM
"Morgans" > wrote

That was not aimed at you, Jay.
--
Jim in NC

---

Jim Fisher
February 3rd 04, 01:35 AM
"EDR" > wrote in message

> Go to www.avweb.com
>
> Select "COLUMNS" from the left side
>
> Select "RICK DURDEN"
>
> He has written several articles in the past two years dealing
> specifically with this subject.

Especially note the one entitled, "Hey you . . ." or something to that
effect. Very enlightening and memorable.

--
Jim Fisher

Mike Adams
February 3rd 04, 03:03 AM
(Ian Baren) wrote:

> Any pointers to websites or message board records would be greatly
> appreciated.

Yep, like the others have said, read the NOTAM, and get familiar with the
landmarks. Your situation will be much like ours last year (first time, and
with 2 pilots on board). We found it worked fine to have one person flying
(staying on speed and altitude, watching for traffic separation), and the
other person reading the notam, watching the landmarks, etc. "There's the
railroad tracks, follow them. See the strobes", etc.) It was a lot of fun,
and no problem. The wildest thing for us was as we got closer we were
amazed that we weren't seeing more traffic forming up, and then I did a
little clearing turn, and saw 4 planes right behind us. It was hilarious -
"They're following US, are they crazy?"

Interestingly, we tried a similar experience in October, flying in to the
nearby Copper State flyin. It was much smaller, but total chaos by
comparison - planes busting into the pattern at high speed, poor radio
work, etc. Oshkosh was much better organized and I think everyone is a
little more sharply focused, knowing that it's "the big one".

Mike

EDR
February 3rd 04, 03:25 AM
In article >, Morgans
> wrote:

> One, read and understand the NOTAR, and read it again.

If I am reading the No Tail Rotor (NOTAR), I am TOO CLOSE!!! :-))

Jay Honeck
February 3rd 04, 03:33 AM
> That was not aimed at you, Jay.

I was waiting for "Four, don't bring Lite Beer!"

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Morgans
February 3rd 04, 04:14 AM
"EDR" > wrote

> > One, read and understand the NOTAR, and read it again.
>
> If I am reading the No Tail Rotor (NOTAR), I am TOO CLOSE!!! :-))

Chuckle> Oooops!
--
Jim in NC

---

john smith
February 3rd 04, 04:48 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> I was waiting for "Four, don't bring Lite Beer!"

Jay, if you keep telling the neophytes that, we won't have anyone buying
for us at Friar Tuck's.
Remember, unwritten rules are "unwritten" for a reason.

Morgans
February 3rd 04, 05:13 AM
"john smith" > wrote in message
> Jay Honeck wrote:
>
> > I was waiting for "Four, don't bring Lite Beer!"
>
> Jay, if you keep telling the neophytes that, we won't have anyone buying
> for us at Friar Tuck's.
> Remember, unwritten rules are "unwritten" for a reason.

I actually don't get much of a chance to drink, at Osh. A lite might even
taste good! :-) I am there with the aviation explorers, in the camp next to
the Cap'ies. You know, with the red and white striped tent? I will make it
a point to find you one night, since the north 40 is just a hop skip and
jump away....
--
Jim in NC

---

Thomas Borchert
February 3rd 04, 10:00 AM
Ian,

> a sort of dummies guide

That's easy: Dummies should walk, drive or take the airlines.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Jay Honeck
February 3rd 04, 01:02 PM
> > Jay, if you keep telling the neophytes that, we won't have anyone buying
> > for us at Friar Tuck's.
> > Remember, unwritten rules are "unwritten" for a reason.

Actually, Montblack and I are working on a better plan for this year, which
will include a cookout on-site, rather than walking to dinner later.

Last year we all got so toasted (long, hot day + no food + lots of free beer
= Big Trouble) that by the time we stumbled over to Friar Tuck's, everyone
was pretty well done for the night!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "john smith" > wrote in message
> > Jay Honeck wrote:
> >
> > > I was waiting for "Four, don't bring Lite Beer!"
> >

> I actually don't get much of a chance to drink, at Osh. A lite might even
> taste good! :-) I am there with the aviation explorers, in the camp next
> the Cap'ies. You know, with the red and white striped tent? I will make
it
> a point to find you one night, since the north 40 is just a hop skip and
> jump away....
> --
> Jim in NC
>

> ---

Tom Fleischman
February 3rd 04, 07:30 PM
Go here:

http://www.airventure.org/

for a lot of good info.

In article >, Ian Baren
> wrote:

> Please pardon if this has been discussed here, but I am planning to
> fly to Airventure / Oshkosh with a pilot friend (both of us are
> pilot,) and I have to imagine that some kind soul out there has
> written a sort of dummies guide to what to do, go, bring, see, not
> bring, avoid, etc.
>
> Any pointers to websites or message board records would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> We will be flying from Ct, (DXR) and in a 1979 PA-28-180
>
> Thanks!

Jay Honeck
February 3rd 04, 09:21 PM
> Interestingly, we tried a similar experience in October, flying in to the
> nearby Copper State flyin. It was much smaller, but total chaos by
> comparison - planes busting into the pattern at high speed, poor radio
> work, etc. Oshkosh was much better organized and I think everyone is a
> little more sharply focused, knowing that it's "the big one".

Very true.

Heck, I've had worse experiences flying into little EAA Chapter breakfasts
than I've EVER had at either Oshkosh or Sun N Fun.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

EDR
February 3rd 04, 10:08 PM
In article <FZMTb.213298$xy6.1101396@attbi_s02>, Jay Honeck
> wrote:

> Actually, Montblack and I are working on a better plan for this year, which
> will include a cookout on-site, rather than walking to dinner later.

I will loan my one-burner gas grill to the cause.
I shopped each afternoon at Piggly-Wiggly for my dinners, walked back
to the plane and cooked for three. We had grilled chicken breast,
fillet mignon, burgers, mashed potatoes, rice, veggies, etc. every
night.

G.R. Patterson III
February 4th 04, 03:41 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> Actually, Montblack and I are working on a better plan for this year, which
> will include a cookout on-site, rather than walking to dinner later.

Fine. How 'bout I bring a two-burner gas stove and a bottle of wine instead of beer?

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.

Jay Honeck
February 4th 04, 12:50 PM
> I will loan my one-burner gas grill to the cause.
> I shopped each afternoon at Piggly-Wiggly for my dinners, walked back
> to the plane and cooked for three. We had grilled chicken breast,
> fillet mignon, burgers, mashed potatoes, rice, veggies, etc. every
> night.

Dang! This sounds like our new volunteer cook, to me! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
February 4th 04, 12:51 PM
> Fine. How 'bout I bring a two-burner gas stove and a bottle of wine
instead of beer?

Deal!

Probably oughta coordinate with Montblack (who is currently AWOL from the
groups, due to an ISP problem) over who brings what -- but that sounds great
to me!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

EDR
February 4th 04, 01:17 PM
In article <GV5Ub.214590$I06.2373490@attbi_s01>, Jay Honeck
> wrote:

> > Fine. How 'bout I bring a two-burner gas stove and a bottle of wine
> instead of beer?
>
> Deal!
> Probably oughta coordinate with Montblack (who is currently AWOL from the
> groups, due to an ISP problem) over who brings what -- but that sounds great
> to me!

Wait a minute!
I vaguely remember a rule about wine posted here last year. It was
either on the "you buy at Friar Tuck's" or some other restriction list.

Jay Honeck
February 4th 04, 02:43 PM
> Wait a minute!
> I vaguely remember a rule about wine posted here last year. It was
> either on the "you buy at Friar Tuck's" or some other restriction list.

Hmmm -- you may be right! I think we DID make some rule disallowing any
girly fruity drinks on-site. I'll have to check my records...

Perhaps if George were to bring us all some extra special "ground-softener,"
we could allow it?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

G.R. Patterson III
February 4th 04, 02:51 PM
EDR wrote:

> Wait a minute!
> I vaguely remember a rule about wine posted here last year. It was
> either on the "you buy at Friar Tuck's" or some other restriction list.

That was last year. We're not talking about the ten commandments here.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.

EDR
February 4th 04, 07:46 PM
In article >, G.R. Patterson III
> wrote:

> EDR wrote:
> >
> > Wait a minute!
> > I vaguely remember a rule about wine posted here last year. It was
> > either on the "you buy at Friar Tuck's" or some other restriction list.
>
> That was last year. We're not talking about the ten commandments here.

Okay, new century of flight, new party rules.

Jay Honeck
February 4th 04, 10:29 PM
> > That was last year. We're not talking about the ten commandments here.
>
> Okay, new century of flight, new party rules.

Boy, just look how hard it is to hold the beer moral high ground. One year,
we stand united against the evil grape -- this year, we collapse like a
house of cards! What next?

*sigh* Okay, wine is "in." But "light beer" is STILL verboten!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
February 5th 04, 03:17 PM
> What about Weisse?

As long as it's made following the official German recipe, it's "beer" in my
book. (For a good explanation of the Bavarian Purity Law, and how real beer
is made, see http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/sprbrew.html )

Personally, I used to love a good Hefe Weiss beer, with a slice of lemon in
it -- and it's still great on a hot summer's day. However, over the past
decade or so my tastes have grown darker. "Amber" or "Red" is about as
light as I'll normally drink now.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ron Natalie
February 5th 04, 03:31 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:o8tUb.228682$xy6.1161467@attbi_s02...
> > What about Weisse?
>
> As long as it's made following the official German recipe, it's "beer" in my
> book.

Then I suspect you haven't had "beer" much in the US. With small exception
NOTHING these days strictly meets Reinheitsgebot and it's probably a good
thing. Most beers use a fairly carefully cultured yeast. Reinheitsgebot permits
only barley, hops, and water. Your beloved wheat beer is also right out.
However corn and rice and (who knows these days in the US, high fructose
corn syrup) adjuncts are an abomination no matter what.

Madison natives Lou and Peter Berryman (no relation), have the essence of
Wisconsin in the following song (although in their defense, they also have one
about Wisconsin in the summer called "Have you heard about the heat?").

Lunch and cheese and dinner and cheese
Fall and cheese and winter and cheese
Chips and cheese and jerky and cheese
Nuts and cheese and turkey and cheese
Cheese with pies and peppers and peas
Snow and beer and cheese

Cheese and snow and hockey and snow
Cows and snow Milwaukee and snow
Boots and snow and dripping and snow
Ice and snow and slipping and snow
Wind and snow, a car that won't go
Beer and cheese and snow

Snow and beer and bowling and beer
Golf and beer and trolling and beer
School and beer and sledding and beer
Love and beer and (a) wedding and beer
Cold beer here, getcher beer here
Cheese and snow and beer

Slush and ale and Monterey jack
Flakes and brie and a cheap six pack
Drifts and curds and a head of good suds
Cheese whiz ice and couple of Buds
All keeps well at thirty degrees
Snow and beer and cheese

Jay Honeck
February 5th 04, 03:42 PM
> Then I suspect you haven't had "beer" much in the US.

That is sadly true -- it can be hard to come by. Which is why I've been
known to fly to Milwaukee, just to pick up some fresh Sprecher!

> Slush and ale and Monterey jack
> Flakes and brie and a cheap six pack
> Drifts and curds and a head of good suds
> Cheese whiz ice and couple of Buds
> All keeps well at thirty degrees
> Snow and beer and cheese

You forgot to tell us what tune we're supposed to sing this to!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ron Natalie
February 5th 04, 05:12 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:1wtUb.228864$xy6.1162273@attbi_s02...
> > Then I suspect you haven't had "beer" much in the US.
>
> That is sadly true -- it can be hard to come by. Which is why I've been
> known to fly to Milwaukee, just to pick up some fresh Sprecher!
>
> > Slush and ale and Monterey jack
> > Flakes and brie and a cheap six pack
> > Drifts and curds and a head of good suds
> > Cheese whiz ice and couple of Buds
> > All keeps well at thirty degrees
> > Snow and beer and cheese
>
> You forgot to tell us what tune we're supposed to sing this to!
> --
It has it's own tune. I've been lobbying with the Airventure folks
to bring these guys in for the Theatre in the Woods some night.
They are a gas (and just down the road in Madison).

B25flyer
February 5th 04, 06:41 PM
Cheese....snow....and beer. Yep that is what I remember about the 11 years I
lived in Vis-con-son.

Two happiest days in Wisconsin, the day I bought a snowmobile and the day I
sold it. Of course the fact that all snowmobile trails go from one beer stube
to another made the days and nights somewhat tolerable.

The old parking lot at EAA, where the exhibit buildings are now, used to make a
good snowmobile area.

Walt

Jay Honeck
February 5th 04, 08:40 PM
> Two happiest days in Wisconsin, the day I bought a snowmobile and the day
> sold it. Of course the fact that all snowmobile trails go from one beer
stube
> to another made the days and nights somewhat tolerable.

Snowmobiling? Yuck.

They're kinda fun, for an hour or two -- but, wow, there's nothing like a
wind chill of -55 degrees to make riding them rank right up there (down
there?) with ice fishing, in my book.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Margy Natalie
February 6th 04, 12:21 AM
Can I bring girly, fruity drinks? After all, some might call me a fruity girl
:-)

Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:

> > Wait a minute!
> > I vaguely remember a rule about wine posted here last year. It was
> > either on the "you buy at Friar Tuck's" or some other restriction list.
>
> Hmmm -- you may be right! I think we DID make some rule disallowing any
> girly fruity drinks on-site. I'll have to check my records...
>
> Perhaps if George were to bring us all some extra special "ground-softener,"
> we could allow it?
>
> ;-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
February 6th 04, 01:19 AM
> Can I bring girly, fruity drinks? After all, some might call me a fruity
girl
> :-)

I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more specific.

Blender drinks are okay by me, if someone brings a generator?

(They actually brought a gasoline-powered blender along on the National Air
Tour! Those folks knew how to PARTY!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ian Baren
February 6th 04, 01:42 AM
Well, Thanks to all who posted, I am certainly better informed on the
beer situation, though I am more of a bourbon type, my own self.

Perhaps "Dummies Guide" was not the right phrase - What I am looking
for is advice to a first-timer, not only the flying/ landing part
(I've nearly got the NOTAM from previous years committed to memory,)
but how to improve our chances of having a good time. What to see,
what to avoid, thing you wish you'd done or not done. Its a little
overwhelming to get a handle on, just interested in some thoughts or
experience, admonisions (sp?)

Thanks

Ian

PS - No lite beer. Check.

> http://www.airventure.org/
>
> for a lot of good info.
>

> In article >, Ian Baren
> > wrote:
>
> > Please pardon if this has been discussed here, but I am planning to
> > fly to Airventure / Oshkosh with a pilot friend (both of us are
> > pilot,) and I have to imagine that some kind soul out there has
> > written a sort of dummies guide to what to do, go, bring, see, not
> > bring, avoid, etc.
> >
> > Any pointers to websites or message board records would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > We will be flying from Ct, (DXR) and in a 1979 PA-28-180
> >
> > Thanks!

Margy Natalie
February 6th 04, 01:46 AM
Gee, you just wrote something about wine being a fruity, girl drink!! I guess
happy hour has already started at the Honeck's!! Jay, you really have to get
down to the Vintage area more often! A number of folks have the gas fired
blenders. Last year Ron and I were walking to the truck to go get dinner and
we only made it as far as the plane with the gas fired blender. 5 or 6
margarittas, chicken, corn and salad later we had no desire to go to dinner
:-).

Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:

> > Can I bring girly, fruity drinks? After all, some might call me a fruity
> girl
> > :-)
>
> I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more specific.
>
> Blender drinks are okay by me, if someone brings a generator?
>
> (They actually brought a gasoline-powered blender along on the National Air
> Tour! Those folks knew how to PARTY!)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

G.R. Patterson III
February 6th 04, 02:07 AM
Ian Baren wrote:

> but how to improve our chances of having a good time. What to see,
> what to avoid, thing you wish you'd done or not done. Its a little
> overwhelming to get a handle on, just interested in some thoughts or
> experience, admonisions (sp?)

Well, I'd say decide what you want to see. One thing for sure; if a day is perfect
weather, drop everything and watch the airshow. There's plenty of time for the
museum and vendors when the weather is less than perfect, but there's nothing like
seeing something like Sean Tucker's performance against a spotless blue sky.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.

Bushy
February 6th 04, 02:21 PM
> Can I bring girly, fruity drinks? After all, some might call me a fruity
girl
> :-)
>
> Margy

As long as you wear a "Carman Miranda" hat!

Peter ;<)

Jay Honeck
February 6th 04, 03:45 PM
> Perhaps "Dummies Guide" was not the right phrase - What I am looking
> for is advice to a first-timer, not only the flying/ landing part
> (I've nearly got the NOTAM from previous years committed to memory,)
> but how to improve our chances of having a good time. What to see,
> what to avoid, thing you wish you'd done or not done. Its a little
> overwhelming to get a handle on, just interested in some thoughts or
> experience, admonisions (sp?)

What, you wanted REAL advice? :-)

Well, assuming you did the Google Groups search, you should know most
everything from last year. However, here are a few tips:

- Carry water. Drink it a lot.
- Don't pack dark-colored clothing. You will die wearing a black t-shirt.
- Buy "Oshkosh shoes" in April. Wear them every day until thoroughly broken
in.
- Bring sandals for the showers, and for the end of the day. Your feet
will appreciate it.
- Spend at LEAST three days at the show. Don't even dream of seeing
everything in less than a week.
- Spend one afternoon at the seaplane base. It's worth it.
- Bring an air mattress. Oshkosh ground is harder than concrete.
- Wander the Fly Market. There is cool stuff to be had there.
- Park a lawn chair alongside RWY 09/27 after the airshow, to watch arrivals
and departures. That's the REAL airshow, and what you will see will astound
you.

We've gone to OSH 21 years in a row, and we haven't EVER felt like we've
seen everything. OSH is heaven on earth, and every pilot should try to
attend one.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ron Natalie
February 6th 04, 07:26 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:oEOUb.231279$I06.2585781@attbi_s01...
..
> - Park a lawn chair alongside RWY 09/27 after the airshow, to watch arrivals
> and departures. That's the REAL airshow, and what you will see will astound
> you.

Or you can volunteer and be standing out in the middle of the 18/36 parallel
taxiway when some yahoo decides to land on the taxiway rather than the runway.
Or see all the arrivals up close as you welcome them to the show.

Tina Marie
February 6th 04, 09:08 PM
In article <oEOUb.231279$I06.2585781@attbi_s01>, Jay Honeck wrote:
> - Bring an air mattress. Oshkosh ground is harder than concrete.

Except on wet years, when the air mattress will double as a floatation
device.

I'd add:

If you're not normally very active, take it slow and don't push yourself
too hard the first day or two, or your knees/legs/ankles will hurt so bad
you won't enjoy the rest of the week.

Along those same lines - draw a line on the map for what you want to see
each day, or you'll spend a lot of time backtracking back and forth. If
you don't finish it all, then do it the next day.

Even in a week, you can't do it all. Don't push yourself, or you'll miss
a lot of the fun. Oshkosh is meant to be wandered through in a Cub, not
sped through in a Concorde.

Nothing starts conversations like a compliment on someone's plane, but
don't overdo it. If you can't complement it, ask a question - "Wow,
that gear looks sturdy - do you fly off a rough strip?" . Some of
my favorite Oshkosh time was spent talking to people on the way to or
from the showers.

If you're camping:

If you have a high-wing, bring wooden clothespins, and you can hang wet
towels or other wet clothes on the tie-down ropes. You can also
clothespin wet towels to your prop if you're desperate.

Bring twice as many towels as you think you'll need.

It rains in the afternoons. Don't put your entire week's worth of clothes
in your tent - leave them in the plane where they're more likely to stay dry,
and just take out what you need daily.

Things not to miss (besides what Jay said):

Jerry's One Man Band.
If you own, spend at least a few hours at the tent of your type club.
If you do your own maintenance, the SnapOn tool truck has good show specials.
The forums are wonderfully useful. Spend an hour or two the first day you're
there to decide what you want to attend, and include it in your daily
map.
I can pass on the rest of the airshow, but I have to sit down every day
and watch the Red Baron Stearmans. Acro in an Extra doesn't impress me.
Acro/formation flight done in a Stearman with the level of precision
those guys have is just amazing.
If you're a morning person, spend a few hours one morning at the UL area.
If you're not, spend a few hours one early evening at the UL area.

Tina Marie
(doing SunNFun instead this year)
--
http://www.tripacerdriver.com "...One of the main causes
of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way

Morgans
February 6th 04, 10:32 PM
"Tina Marie" > wrote
..
> I can pass on the rest of the airshow, but I have to sit down every day
> and watch the Red Baron Stearmans.
> Tina Marie

Bring along some good earplugs for watching the Stearmans. I hate the blat
from the props. Why can't they turn the rpm's a bit slower, and make them
more enjoyable?
--
Jim in NC

---

Jay Honeck
February 7th 04, 03:06 AM
> If you're not normally very active, take it slow and don't push yourself
> too hard the first day or two, or your knees/legs/ankles will hurt so bad
> you won't enjoy the rest of the week.

Truer words were never spoken.

After a long winter of inactivity, we, as a family, start taking longer and
longer walks after dinner. This builds slowly until we're covering a couple
of miles a night, and is the ONLY way I am still (at age 45) able to walk
all day, every day, for the whole week.

When I was pushing 40, I went to OSH *without* doing this routine. I ended
up taking a very nasty spill on some gravel, simply because my legs were
rubber after a couple of days.

If you want to see everything at OSH, you will walk 6 to 8 hours EVERY DAY,
in all kinds of weather conditions. (Mostly HOT.) Be ready for it, or your
trip may be less than happy.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

EDR
February 10th 04, 05:52 PM
In article <oEOUb.231279$I06.2585781@attbi_s01>, Jay Honeck
> wrote:

> - Bring an air mattress. Oshkosh ground is harder than concrete.

And when it rains (as it always does), you and your sleeping bag may
stay dry.

EDR
February 10th 04, 05:55 PM
In article >, Tina Marie
> wrote:

> Bring twice as many towels as you think you'll need.

Better still, purchase the synthetic chamois type towels available from
outdoor stores. They get wet, you wring them out and they dry quickly.

EDR
February 10th 04, 05:56 PM
In article >, Morgans
> wrote:

> Bring along some good earplugs for watching the Stearmans. I hate the blat
> from the props. Why can't they turn the rpm's a bit slower, and make them
> more enjoyable?

You don't understand, the noise is part of the show.
That is why the Eagles had the props they did on their planes.

EDR
February 10th 04, 05:59 PM
In article >, Ian Baren
> wrote:

> Perhaps "Dummies Guide" was not the right phrase - What I am looking
> for is advice to a first-timer, not only the flying/ landing part
> (I've nearly got the NOTAM from previous years committed to memory,)
> but how to improve our chances of having a good time. What to see,
> what to avoid, thing you wish you'd done or not done. Its a little
> overwhelming to get a handle on, just interested in some thoughts or
> experience, admonisions (sp?)

Well, the hookers are outside the main gate every night. Security runs
them off, but they keep coming back.

Then there is Snoopy's in town. (At least there used to be...)

EDR
February 10th 04, 06:15 PM
Plan to "blitz" the commercial buildings just to learn where everything
is. Go back the second day and visit the ones you are really interested
in.

Do not pick up anything you do not want to carry. It is very tempting!
Do not carry a backpack, it is very easy to overload! (If you decided
to carry things in one of the plastic bags from a vendor, remember to
pick it up after you have set it down!)
Do wear a fanny pack. Carry water, snacks, sunscreen, lip balm. Your
hips support the weight.
Batteries! Either purchase them before you go, or get them at Target or
WalMart. Target you can walk to, WalMart moved a couple miles down the
road.

Morgans
February 10th 04, 11:23 PM
"EDR" > wrote in message
> In article <oEOUb.231279$I06.2585781@attbi_s01>, Jay Honeck
> > wrote:
>

> > - Bring an air mattress. Oshkosh ground is harder than concrete.
>

> And when it rains (as it always does), you and your sleeping bag may
> stay dry.

For luggage, consider something like a plastic trunk or tool box, so your
clothes all don't get wet from lying in the puddle at the bottom of your
tent.

---

Morgans
February 10th 04, 11:26 PM
"EDR" > wrote in message
> In article >, Morgans
> > wrote:
>
> > Bring along some good earplugs for watching the Stearmans. I hate the
blat
> > from the props. Why can't they turn the rpm's a bit slower, and make
them
> > more enjoyable?
>
> You don't understand, the noise is part of the show.
> That is why the Eagles had the props they did on their planes.

Bull****. I suppose bikes with loud pipes look better, too. I don't buy
it.
--
Jim in NC

---

Mike Z.
February 11th 04, 05:11 PM
Why do you guys all have so much water in your tents?

Mike Z

"Morgans" > wrote in message ...

> "EDR" > wrote in message
> > In article <oEOUb.231279$I06.2585781@attbi_s01>, Jay Honeck
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > - Bring an air mattress. Oshkosh ground is harder than concrete.
> >

> > And when it rains (as it always does), you and your sleeping bag may
> > stay dry.
>
> For luggage, consider something like a plastic trunk or tool box, so your
> clothes all don't get wet from lying in the puddle at the bottom of your
> tent.
>

> ---

Morgans
February 11th 04, 09:29 PM
"Mike Z." > wrote in message
k.net...
> Why do you guys all have so much water in your tents?
>
> Mike Z

The ground is so flat, the smallest depression will gather water, then leak
in through the seams. The rain comes in buckets, and the ground soaks it in
very slowly.
--
Jim in NC

---