PDA

View Full Version : Re: Photos Of Ice on plane at PDX in JAN

ET
February 2nd 04, 07:49 PM
"MRQB" > wrote in news:PPuTb.14$H35.31335
@news.uswest.net:

> Photos of ice on plane at PDX during the ice storm first week of JAN
>

> begin 666 MVC-766S.JPG
>
> Attachment decoded: MVC-766S.JPG
> `
> end
>
> begin 666 MVC-785S.JPG
>
> Attachment decoded: MVC-785S.JPG
> `
> end

Did you stop to think to yourself... "hrmm, why don't I hardly ever see
pictures posted to any of the rec.aviation.* groups. Well, those other
people must just be too stupid to know how to post them..."

or it could be something else like: NO "rec.*" hierarchy group allows
binaries to be posted as part of it's charter or FAQ. In fact the only
hierarchy that does is the alt.binaries hierarchy, and/or the
alt.pictures hierarchy (and some isp's/usenet providers even block
binaries to the alt.pictures hierarchy because it doesn't have the some
form of the word binary in it).

So, even though I do not consider myself a "net cop" I suggest for all
our sake's you refrain from posting binaries here. The accepted practice
is to post to a "binaries" group, or better yet a web page or yahoo
pictures-type page, then post a link here for those who have an interest.

The "all our sakes" part is as follows: Most ISP's have a MUCH longer
retention for non-binary groups, then for groups that allow binaries. My
ISP has messages for the rec groups back to the end of Sept 03, while
binary groups are archived less than 48 hours!!! If people begin to
ignore the "no binaries" rule, we will se a loss of the archiving of old
messages, etc.

Ok, I've spouted off enough I suppose...

--
ET >:)

Future student pilot and future Sonex Builder...

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Google