PDA

View Full Version : So how would this IA work?

Frederick Wilson
February 2nd 04, 10:15 PM
I have a IA for rotorcraft and would like to add it to my PP-ASEL. What
would this involve?

Thanks,
Fred

Ron Natalie
February 2nd 04, 10:58 PM
"Frederick Wilson" > wrote in message news:%ZzTb.79722$U%5.426525@attbi_s03...
> I have a IA for rotorcraft and would like to add it to my PP-ASEL. What
> would this involve?

IA? You're going to have to explain what you mean by that. The only two
common uses of that abbreviation I can think of have no speciality for rotorcraft.

Frederick Wilson
February 3rd 04, 01:34 AM
May be the wrong use. I have an instrument rating in helicopters and I want
to get one for airplanes.

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Frederick Wilson" > wrote in message
> > I have a IA for rotorcraft and would like to add it to my PP-ASEL. What
> > would this involve?
>
> IA? You're going to have to explain what you mean by that. The only
two
> common uses of that abbreviation I can think of have no speciality for
rotorcraft.

Peter Duniho
February 3rd 04, 03:04 AM
> May be the wrong use. I have an instrument rating in helicopters and I
want
> to get one for airplanes.

Typically the abbreviation "IA" in that context means "Instrument-Airplane".
Which, of course, you can't have for helicopters. You must have an
"Instrument-Rotorcraft" rating, which I suppose you could abbreviate as "IR"
if you like.

As far as what it would involve, just look at the regulations. They spell
out what's needed for the Instrument-Airplane rating. Some of the items you
will have already covered in your rotorcraft training and flying, while
others you will have not (since they will be specific to airplanes). You
need to do the stuff you haven't already done.

Pete

Ron Natalie
February 3rd 04, 04:23 PM
"Peter Duniho" > wrote in message ...
> "Frederick Wilson" > wrote in message
> > May be the wrong use. I have an instrument rating in helicopters and I
> want
> > to get one for airplanes.
>
> Typically the abbreviation "IA" in that context means "Instrument-Airplane".
> Which, of course, you can't have for helicopters. You must have an
> "Instrument-Rotorcraft" rating, which I suppose you could abbreviate as "IR"
> if you like.

Actually, the FAA seems to call it IH (Instrument--Helicopter).

Peter Duniho
February 3rd 04, 07:17 PM
"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
. ..
> Actually, the FAA seems to call it IH (Instrument--Helicopter).

Figures. :)

Maurice Givens
February 3rd 04, 07:38 PM
The PTS would be a better place to look. The PTS tells exactly what
is needed to add a rating to another class or category.

Maurice Givens

"Peter Duniho" > wrote in message >...
> "Frederick Wilson" > wrote in message
> > May be the wrong use. I have an instrument rating in helicopters and I
> want
> > to get one for airplanes.
>
> Typically the abbreviation "IA" in that context means "Instrument-Airplane".
> Which, of course, you can't have for helicopters. You must have an
> "Instrument-Rotorcraft" rating, which I suppose you could abbreviate as "IR"
> if you like.
>
> As far as what it would involve, just look at the regulations. They spell
> out what's needed for the Instrument-Airplane rating. Some of the items you
> will have already covered in your rotorcraft training and flying, while
> others you will have not (since they will be specific to airplanes). You
> need to do the stuff you haven't already done.
>
> Pete

Ron Natalie
February 3rd 04, 09:14 PM
"Maurice Givens" > wrote in message om...
> The PTS would be a better place to look. The PTS tells exactly what
> is needed to add a rating to another class or category.

While they do talk about adding other category and class ratings to a certificate,
neither the Instrument Rating or the Private PTS seem to talk about converting
instrument ratings as near as I can tell.

Maurice Givens
February 5th 04, 06:30 PM
Who said any thing about converting. The original poster wanted to
know what they needed to do to get an inst. rating for PP-ASEL if they
already have one for rotocraft-helicopter (of course the experience
requirements need to be fulfilled as well).

Maurice Givens

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message >...
> "Maurice Givens" > wrote in message om...
> > The PTS would be a better place to look. The PTS tells exactly what
> > is needed to add a rating to another class or category.
> >
> While they do talk about adding other category and class ratings to a certificate,
> neither the Instrument Rating or the Private PTS seem to talk about converting
> instrument ratings as near as I can tell.

Peter Duniho
February 5th 04, 07:03 PM
"Maurice Givens" > wrote in message
om...
> Who said any thing about converting. The original poster wanted to
> know what they needed to do to get an inst. rating for PP-ASEL if they
> already have one for rotocraft-helicopter

In this context, how is that different from "converting"? You don't really
think the FAA allows a pilot to change one rating into another, losing the
original in the process, do you? What could Ron have meant by "converting"
other than getting "an inst. rating for PP-ASEL if they already have one for
rotocraft-helicopter [sic]"?

Pete

Ron Natalie
February 6th 04, 02:35 AM
"Maurice Givens" > wrote in message om...
> Who said any thing about converting. The original poster wanted to
> know what they needed to do to get an inst. rating for PP-ASEL if they
> already have one for rotocraft-helicopter (of course the experience
> requirements need to be fulfilled as well).

Yes and show me anything in the instrument PTS that indicates any thing
about adding instrument ratings in a different category.

Google