PDA

View Full Version : Wm Buckley on John Kerry

Big John
February 5th 04, 07:51 PM
This url from National Review. A must read. Delivered by Wm Buckley
to the graduating class USMA 1971 about Kerry's activities in the
anti-Vietnam movement.

http://www.nationalreview.com/flashback/wfb200402040837.asp

Big John

Gary Drescher
February 5th 04, 08:12 PM
Even if Buckley's speech weren't nonsensical, why would it be a "must read"
for an aviation newsgroup?

If you insist on using this group as a presidential campaign platform, don't
expect the other side to refrain from doing the same.

--Gary

"Big John" > wrote in message

> This url from National Review. A must read. Delivered by Wm Buckley
> to the graduating class USMA 1971 about Kerry's activities in the
> anti-Vietnam movement.
>
> http://www.nationalreview.com/flashback/wfb200402040837.asp
>

> Big John

Peter Duniho
February 5th 04, 08:19 PM
"Big John" > wrote in message

> This url from National Review. A must read.

It's a "must read" because why? I read it, and found nothing terribly new
or insightful or relevant to now, more than thirty years after Buckley made
the speech. Frankly, Buckley's jingoism seems pretty misguided in hindsight
and irrelevant to pilot discussions in any case.

I'll grant you, it's nice to have a reminder about how Kerry stood up for
what he felt was right, reporting his own personal experiences as a Vietnam
veteran, in a political environment he knew would not have easily accepted
the truth.

But none of that has to do with piloting. I see absolutely no reason this
is in any way on-topic in this newsgroup.

Pete

Wdtabor
February 5th 04, 10:19 PM
>It's a "must read" because why? I read it, and found nothing terribly new
>or insightful or relevant to now, more than thirty years after Buckley made
>the speech. Frankly, Buckley's jingoism seems pretty misguided in hindsight
>and irrelevant to pilot discussions in any case.
>
>I'll grant you, it's nice to have a reminder about how Kerry stood up for
>what he felt was right, reporting his own personal experiences as a Vietnam
>veteran, in a political environment he knew would not have easily accepted
>the truth.
>
>But none of that has to do with piloting. I see absolutely no reason this
>is in any way on-topic in this newsgroup.

I see no reason why, after the thread of a hundred or so posts deifying Kerry,
you find it offensive that one post points to his feet of clay.

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL

Gary Drescher
February 5th 04, 10:48 PM
"Wdtabor" > wrote in message
>"Peter Duniho" > wrote in message
> >But none of that has to do with piloting. I see absolutely no reason
this
> >is in any way on-topic in this newsgroup.
>
> I see no reason why, after the thread of a hundred or so posts deifying
Kerry,
> you find it offensive that one post points to his feet of clay.

Check that thread again, Don. It began with an on-topic post about Kerry as
a pilot, followed by some on-topic speculation (both pro and con) as to what
effect his election would have on GA. It veered into off-topic political
discussion when off-topic anti-Kerry notes were posted and drew rebuttals.

Personally, I don't mind occasional political discussions here when they
arise in the course of on-topic threads (I don't initiate such discussions,
though I sometimes respond to them). But here, we have a thread whose
initial post is simply an undisguised off-topic political statement.

--Gary

> Don
>
> --
> Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
> PP-ASEL
> Chesapeake, VA - CPK, PVG

John Harlow
February 5th 04, 10:53 PM
Watch out BJ, Larry's going to give you such the spanking.

Wdtabor
February 6th 04, 12:45 AM
>Check that thread again, Don. It began with an on-topic post about Kerry as
>a pilot, followed by some on-topic speculation (both pro and con) as to what
>effect his election would have on GA. It veered into off-topic political
>discussion when off-topic anti-Kerry notes were posted and drew rebuttals.
>
>Personally, I don't mind occasional political discussions here when they
>arise in the course of on-topic threads (I don't initiate such discussions,
>though I sometimes respond to them). But here, we have a thread whose
>initial post is simply an undisguised off-topic political statement.
>
>--Gary

I took it as a followup to the previous thread, rather than a new one,

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL

Big John
February 6th 04, 01:00 AM
There's been so much OT on Kerry that has drudged the political
depths, I though that this was 'almost' OT????

Bottom line, if you get a guy like this in the WH do you think he
will support GA?

Big John

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:51:54 -0600, Big John >
wrote:

>This url from National Review. A must read. Delivered by Wm Buckley
>to the graduating class USMA 1971 about Kerry's activities in the
>anti-Vietnam movement.
>
>http://www.nationalreview.com/flashback/wfb200402040837.asp
>

>Big John

Jim Fisher
February 6th 04, 01:28 AM
"Peter Duniho" > wrote in message
>I'll grant you, it's nice to have a reminder about how Kerry stood up for
what he felt was right,
> But none of that has to do with piloting. I see absolutely no reason this
> is in any way on-topic in this newsgroup.

But ya' just had to reply and put your own two cents in, eh?

--
Jim Fisher

Peter Duniho
February 6th 04, 01:42 AM
"Wdtabor" > wrote in message
> I see no reason why, after the thread of a hundred or so posts deifying
Kerry

I don't recall that thread. I must've junked it long before it got to that
point. Whichever thread it was, I doubt it started out as a "let's deify
Kerry" thread.

Peter Duniho
February 6th 04, 01:45 AM
"Big John" > wrote in message
> Bottom line, if you get a guy like this in the WH do you think he
> will support GA?

Not sure how you got an answer to that question from the article you
referred to.

However, IMHO the question of which presidential candidate will be best for
GA is like asking whether you'd prefer to be burned alive in a department
store or a fish market. A new President isn't going to change how GA is
treated in this country one iota.

Pete

R.Hubbell
February 6th 04, 02:25 AM
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:51:54 -0600 Big John > wrote:

> This url from National Review. A must read. Delivered by Wm Buckley
> to the graduating class USMA 1971 about Kerry's activities in the
> anti-Vietnam movement.
>
> http://www.nationalreview.com/flashback/wfb200402040837.asp
>

> Big John

Ditto that this is off topic. There are plenty of
political groups on Usenet.

R. Hubbell

Big John
February 6th 04, 03:24 AM
"G"

Ok. Suggest you move to one. How about the thread "A GA pilot in the
WH? you posted to several times?

Enough. We are on different tracks and never the trains will meet.

Big John

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:25:13 -0800, "R.Hubbell"
> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:51:54 -0600 Big John > wrote:
>

>> This url from National Review. A must read. Delivered by Wm Buckley
>> to the graduating class USMA 1971 about Kerry's activities in the
>> anti-Vietnam movement.
>>
>> http://www.nationalreview.com/flashback/wfb200402040837.asp
>>

>> Big John
>

>Ditto that this is off topic. There are plenty of
>political groups on Usenet.
>

>R. Hubbell

Big John
February 6th 04, 03:24 AM
"R"

How about the thread "A GA Pilot in the WH": that you posted to. Why
did you post OT to it?

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:25:13 -0800, "R.Hubbell"
> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:51:54 -0600 Big John > wrote:
>

>> This url from National Review. A must read. Delivered by Wm Buckley
>> to the graduating class USMA 1971 about Kerry's activities in the
>> anti-Vietnam movement.
>>
>> http://www.nationalreview.com/flashback/wfb200402040837.asp
>>

>> Big John
>

>Ditto that this is off topic. There are plenty of
>political groups on Usenet.
>

>R. Hubbell

R.Hubbell
February 6th 04, 03:55 AM
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:24:28 -0600 Big John > wrote:

> "R"
>
> How about the thread "A GA Pilot in the WH": that you posted to. Why
> did you post OT to it?

Big,

It's just plain old netiquette to start a topic in a group that's
pertinent to that group. The thread you mention started on topic
and meandered. But your's start off-topic from the get-go.
It's not personal.

R. Hubbell

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:25:13 -0800, "R.Hubbell"
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:51:54 -0600 Big John > wrote:
> >

> >> This url from National Review. A must read. Delivered by Wm Buckley
> >> to the graduating class USMA 1971 about Kerry's activities in the
> >> anti-Vietnam movement.
> >>
> >> http://www.nationalreview.com/flashback/wfb200402040837.asp
> >>

> >> Big John
> >

> >Ditto that this is off topic. There are plenty of
> >political groups on Usenet.
> >

> >R. Hubbell

Larry Dighera
February 6th 04, 05:21 AM
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:12:28 GMT, "Gary Drescher"
<MsxUb.225242$I06.2452447@attbi_s01>:

>If you insist on using this group as a presidential campaign platform, don't
>expect the other side to refrain from doing the same.

Here's a little something (on-topic) I found in rec.aviation.military
recently:

--

"Naturally, the common people don't want war;
neither in Russia nor in England nor in America,
nor for that matter in Germany.
That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders
of the country who determine the policy and
it is always a simple matter to drag the people
along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist
dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist
dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
That is easy. All you have to do is tell them
they are being attacked and denounce the
pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing
the country to danger. It works the same way
in any country."

- Hermann Goering, Nazi Reichsmarshall

Ditch
February 6th 04, 07:37 AM
> A new President isn't going to change how GA is
>treated in this country one iota.

I agree with you there. I only hope it doesn't get worse.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*

Doug Carter
February 6th 04, 01:15 PM
On 2004-02-06, Larry Dighera > wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:12:28 GMT, "Gary Drescher"
> wrote in Message-Id:
><MsxUb.225242$I06.2452447@attbi_s01>:
>
> Here's a little something (on-topic) I found in rec.aviation.military
> recently:
>
>> Bush's Top 10 Lies, Exaggerations And 'Obsfucations'
>> About His Military Service

Rather old news. This didn't get any traction in the last election
and won't in this one either.

My only regret in voting for Bush is his reluctance to use the
veto to dampen some of the insane pork barrell spending by congress
(including the honorable senator from Mass.)

Very inventive, getting the Nazi reference in so early in thread cycle.

Snowbird
February 6th 04, 02:24 PM
Big John > wrote in message >...
> This url from National Review. A must read. Delivered by Wm Buckley
> to the graduating class USMA 1971 about Kerry's activities in the
> anti-Vietnam movement.
>
> http://www.nationalreview.com/flashback/wfb200402040837.asp

Of course, no one writing for the National Review has ever
taken remarks out of context, twisted them, or flat out
made things up.

Sorry, but I regard the National Review's account of someone's
words (especially long-past actions when fact-checking is
difficult) about on a par with Rush Limbaugh or with PETA's
accounts of how laboratory animals are cared for. They may
be entertaining, if you're not too personally involved, but
they aren't reliable.

Over and out.
Sydney

Larry Dighera
February 6th 04, 03:40 PM
On 6 Feb 2004 13:15:30 GMT, Doug Carter > wrote
in Message-Id: >:

>On 2004-02-06, Larry Dighera > wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:12:28 GMT, "Gary Drescher"
> wrote in Message-Id:
>><MsxUb.225242$I06.2452447@attbi_s01>:
>>
>> Here's a little something (on-topic) I found in rec.aviation.military
>> recently:
>>
>>> Bush's Top 10 Lies, Exaggerations And 'Obsfucations'
>>> About His Military Service
>
>Rather old news.

I'm happy to see you don't refute the information.

>This didn't get any traction in the last election
>and won't in this one either.

I'm not so sure about that. Given the Executive spin on the
intelligence suggesting Iraqi WMD, this information underscores baby
Bush's lack moral veracity. At any rate, to question Kerry's
distinguished war record, while the sitting president's record shows
him as the privileged son of a plutocrat with the power to nimbly
dodge his duty without repercussion is telling. Kerry is a real
pilot. Baby Bush is a puppet of the wealthy posturing for those who
lack the intelligence to perceive his deceit.

>My only regret in voting for Bush is his reluctance to use the
>veto to dampen some of the insane pork barrell spending by congress
>(including the honorable senator from Mass.)

Baby Bush dampen spending? That's a laugh. When he entered office
there was a surplus. In three years he has personally managed to run
the deficit up to a projected $2.5 trillion mostly for special
interests (Halliburton , pharmaceutical makers, military, ...). Are
you so blinded, that you can't see through his transparent
prevarication?

Vote for him again, and you'll find a lame duck will provide even more
for you to regret.

>Very inventive, getting the Nazi reference in so early in thread cycle.

That was part of the original article posted to rec.aviation.military:

Incidently, what is a "thread cycle?"

--
In America, anyone can become president. That's one of the risks you
take. --Adlai E. Stevenson

"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little
longer." ~ Henry Kissinger

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government." - Patrick Henry

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise
of fighting a foreign enemy." ~ James Madison, while a United States
Congressman

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly
unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware
of change in the air however slight lest we become unwitting victims
of the darkness."
~ William O. Douglas, Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court

"I'm the master of low expectations."
--GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

Doug Carter
February 6th 04, 05:31 PM
On 2004-02-06, Larry Dighera > wrote:

>>Rather old news.
>
> I'm happy to see you don't refute the information.

Unnecessary - This topic was beaten to death in the last election and
proved to be ineffictive for Bush's opposition. It's difficult to
convince people that volunteering to be a fighter pilot is the act
of a coward. There are a few too many Air Guard pilots that were and
are deployed to war zones to make this convincing.

The topic just doesn't seem to matter. Bush1, shot down in WWII
lost to Bill Clinton who completly dodged military service and never
retracted his letter in which he described his hatred and loathing
of the military. I just don't think anyone cares.

As Bill said, "its the economy, stupid." (please note these are
Bill's words, not mine and I DO NOT directed this invective at you)

> ... At any rate, to question Kerry's distinguished war record...

I didn't and won't do that. Other issues will be more interesting:

Kerry, the populist, is one of the richest men in the country and
has held the record for accepting donations from lobbiests for 15 years.

> Baby Bush dampen spending? That's a laugh.

I agree; almost as infurating to his base as amnasty.

> Incidently, what is a "thread cycle?"

Usually it seems to take 15 or 20 "back and forth" postings before
someone invokes the Nazi anology or some other silly extreamism.

Wdtabor
February 6th 04, 05:34 PM
In article >, Larry Dighera
> writes:

>On 6 Feb 2004 13:15:30 GMT, Doug Carter > wrote
>in Message-Id: >:
>
>>On 2004-02-06, Larry Dighera > wrote:
>>> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:12:28 GMT, "Gary Drescher"
> wrote in Message-Id:
>>><MsxUb.225242$I06.2452447@attbi_s01>:
>>>
>>> Here's a little something (on-topic) I found in rec.aviation.military
>>> recently:

>>Rather old news.
>
>I'm happy to see you don't refute the information.

Why do it again? It was refuted here in great detail last election cycle.
Google this group for Bush's Military Record and you will find an article by
Slate, a liberal Ezine, documenting every step and exhonorating Bush of any
misdeed.

>>This didn't get any traction in the last election
>>and won't in this one either.
>
>I'm not so sure about that. Given the Executive spin on the
>intelligence suggesting Iraqi WMD, this information underscores baby
>Bush's lack moral veracity. At any rate, to question Kerry's
>distinguished war record, while the sitting president's record shows
>him as the privileged son of a plutocrat with the power to nimbly
>dodge his duty without repercussion is telling.

Kerry's military record is honorable, but his life since then as hypocrite and
gigolo is embarrassing.

> Kerry is a real
>pilot.

Yeah, flying a light twin is SO much more manly than flying a supersonic
interceptor.

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL

Tom Sixkiller
February 7th 04, 02:19 AM

> >>Rather old news.
> >
> > I'm happy to see you don't refute the information.
>
> Unnecessary - This topic was beaten to death in the last election and
> proved to be ineffictive for Bush's opposition. It's difficult to
> convince people that volunteering to be a fighter pilot is the act
> of a coward. There are a few too many Air Guard pilots that were and
> are deployed to war zones to make this convincing.
>
> The topic just doesn't seem to matter. Bush1, shot down in WWII
> lost to Bill Clinton who completly dodged military service and never
> retracted his letter in which he described his hatred and loathing
> of the military. I just don't think anyone cares.

Not to mention that Clinton beat a genuine war hero in Bob Dole.

Google