PDA

View Full Version : OUCH! Lightning hits airplane.........

Aardvark
February 8th 04, 02:14 AM
Friday, February 6, 2004 · Last updated 5:27 p.m. PT

Lightning hits airplane on ground at Sea-Tac airport

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEATAC, Wash. -- Lightning struck an airplane on the ground Friday at
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, slightly injuring a worker.

Thirty people were aboard the Horizon Air plane when lightning struck it
about 2:20 p.m. as it was preparing to depart for Pocatello, Idaho,
airport spokesman Bob Parker said.

The injured man was working next to the plane, wearing a headset plugged
into a jack on the side of the aircraft, Parker said. When lightning hit
the plane, the headset wire conducted some of the charge to the worker.

Parker said the man was conscious and alert when he was taken to a local
hospital. His condition was not known. No one aboard the plane was injured.

C J Campbell
February 8th 04, 02:57 AM
"Aardvark" > wrote in message
.. .

| Parker said the man was conscious and alert when he was taken to a local
| hospital. His condition was not known. No one aboard the plane was
injured.

Apparently he has already been released. He was only slightly injured. Bet
it made his ears smoke, though.

Cockpit Colin
February 8th 04, 05:33 AM
OMG ...

.... Was the Plane alright???

CFLav8r
February 8th 04, 02:23 PM
> The injured man was working next to the plane, wearing a headset plugged
> into a jack on the side of the aircraft, Parker said. When lightning hit
> the plane, the headset wire conducted some of the charge to the worker.

That's exactly what killed a ramp agent here in Orlando a few years back.
Now they close the ramp at the slightest hint of lighting in the area.
Florida "Lighting Strike Capitol of the World".

So much for odds on winning the lottery.

David (KORL = Fun / KMCO = Work)

John Bishop
February 8th 04, 04:46 PM
Got hit by lightning about ten years ago on a Czech airlines Tupolev 134.
The whole cabin lit up and the plane jumped a bit. We were over the Tatra
mountains at the time, so I was glad nothing went wrong. Made a
precautionary landing at Poprad for a checkover, then flew on to Prague.

John

"Aardvark" > wrote in message
.. .
> Friday, February 6, 2004 · Last updated 5:27 p.m. PT
>
> Lightning hits airplane on ground at Sea-Tac airport
>
> THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
>
> SEATAC, Wash. -- Lightning struck an airplane on the ground Friday at
> Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, slightly injuring a worker.
>
> Thirty people were aboard the Horizon Air plane when lightning struck it
> about 2:20 p.m. as it was preparing to depart for Pocatello, Idaho,
> airport spokesman Bob Parker said.
>
> The injured man was working next to the plane, wearing a headset plugged
> into a jack on the side of the aircraft, Parker said. When lightning hit
> the plane, the headset wire conducted some of the charge to the worker.
>
> Parker said the man was conscious and alert when he was taken to a local
> hospital. His condition was not known. No one aboard the plane was
injured.

Google