PDA

View Full Version : How come?

HECTOP
February 8th 04, 11:43 PM
There's no flame war about that AA pilot preaching Jesus to his passengers?

You guys dissapoint me! I opened my newsreader just to check if you are at
each other's throats, burning down houses and stuff, and what, dead calm?
Where's your sense of good ol' confrontation? Where's deb2k, fergodsakes!?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/02/08/airline.christianity/index.html

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Dan Luke
February 8th 04, 11:55 PM
If the only reason you dropped in was to see if you could provoke a
flame war Nestor, I'd rather you dropped back out again.

Last I heard, you'd given up flying as a waste of money. Why are you
wasting your time, too?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

HECTOP
February 9th 04, 12:11 AM
Now there's the spirit! There's mah main man! Good to feel the good old
sense of humour! :)

I hope you're having a fine evening too!

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

"Dan Luke" > wrote in message
> If the only reason you dropped in was to see if you could provoke a
> flame war Nestor, I'd rather you dropped back out again.
>
> Last I heard, you'd given up flying as a waste of money. Why are you
> wasting your time, too?
> --
> Dan
> C172RG at BFM
> (remove pants to reply by email)

BTIZ
February 9th 04, 01:27 AM
I must be out of the newsloop... I did not hear about it..

BT

"HECTOP" > wrote in message
> There's no flame war about that AA pilot preaching Jesus to his
passengers?

> You guys dissapoint me! I opened my newsreader just to check if you are at
> each other's throats, burning down houses and stuff, and what, dead calm?
> Where's your sense of good ol' confrontation? Where's deb2k, fergodsakes!?
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/02/08/airline.christianity/index.html
>

> HECTOP
> PP-ASEL-IA
> http://www.maxho.com
> maxho_at_maxho.com

Chuck
February 9th 04, 01:41 AM
"HECTOP" > wrote in message
> There's no flame war about that AA pilot preaching Jesus to his
passengers?

<snip>

Because it's not considered general aviation and Larry has everyone too
scared to post off topic now...

---

Geoffrey Barnes
February 9th 04, 01:57 AM
I'm just waiting to find out who the pilot was. This sounds exactly like a
guy that I went through NROTC with, and I know that he is now flying for
American. Wouldn't suprise me one bit to discover that he did this.

Robert L. Bass
February 9th 04, 01:57 AM
Larry who???

I had kill filed Larry D a long time ago.

"Chuck" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> <snip>
>
> Because it's not considered general aviation and Larry has everyone too
> scared to post off topic now...

Rosspilot
February 9th 04, 02:00 AM
Hey, Yury . . . nice to see you . . . hoping all is well . . .

www.Rosspilot.com

HECTOP
February 9th 04, 02:07 AM
"Rosspilot" > wrote in message
> Hey, Yury . . . nice to see you . . . hoping all is well . . .

Hey Lee, yeah I'm fine, got pulled away from flying lately, but other than
that life's going on. Hope you're well too. I miss circling Empire State
Building at 1500' ;)

Best regards

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Judah
February 9th 04, 06:01 AM
Because he was talking about Christianity, not Islam...

;)

HECTOP > wrote in
:

> There's no flame war about that AA pilot preaching Jesus to his
> passengers?
>
> You guys dissapoint me! I opened my newsreader just to check if you are
> at each other's throats, burning down houses and stuff, and what, dead
> calm? Where's your sense of good ol' confrontation? Where's deb2k,
> fergodsakes!?
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/02/08/airline.christianity/index.html
>

> HECTOP
> PP-ASEL-IA
> http://www.maxho.com
> maxho_at_maxho.com

Chuck
February 9th 04, 06:06 AM
"Robert L. Bass" > wrote in message
> Larry who???
>
> I had kill filed Larry D a long time ago.
>
> "Chuck" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > <snip>
> >
> > Because it's not considered general aviation and Larry has everyone too
> > scared to post off topic now...

I haven't kill filed him yet... He is fun to pick on... He runs away
crying...

---

Rosspilot
February 9th 04, 01:04 PM
>h I'm fine, got pulled away from flying lately, but other than
>that life's going on. Hope you're well too. I miss circling Empire State
>Building at 1500' ;)

One of the photos from that shoot we did:

http://www.skyviewpictures.com/cgibin/skystore/quikstore.cgi?product=col-g
oldpeak&exact_match=yes

is among my biggest sellers. It was a memorable flight . . .

Stay well . . .
www.Rosspilot.com

Peter R.
February 9th 04, 04:35 PM
Rosspilot ) wrote:

> One of the photos from that shoot we did:
>
> http://www.skyviewpictures.com/cgibin/skystore/quikstore.cgi?product=col-g
> oldpeak&exact_match=yes
>
> is among my biggest sellers. It was a memorable flight . . .

How did you coordinate this with ATC? Was it simply a matter of being
cleared into the class B airspace for aerial photography? Am I correct in
assuming that this would not be allowed anymore?

BTW, recalling our exchange in this group about the Hudson River corridor,
I flew down to the corridor yesterday (Sunday) specifically to fly up the
East River side.

Wow, does one have to make a steep turn south of Roosevelt Island to be
able to turn around! Much more narrow than the Hudson River side.

--
Peter

HECTOP
February 9th 04, 04:42 PM
Judah > wrote:
> Because he was talking about Christianity, not Islam...

Yeah, I can see passengers storming the cockpit yelling "let's roll!"

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Andrew Gideon
February 9th 04, 05:12 PM
Peter R. wrote:

> How did you coordinate this with ATC? Was it simply a matter of being
> cleared into the class B airspace for aerial photography?

Sure. Or don't mention the photography bit.

The pictures I have are nothing like the quality of Lee's pictures, but I
did this run a couple of months ago:

http://gideon.org/andrew/PhotoAlbum/Flying/Hudson/3/

> Am I correct in
> assuming that this would not be allowed anymore?

Nope.

> BTW, recalling our exchange in this group about the Hudson River corridor,
> I flew down to the corridor yesterday (Sunday) specifically to fly up the
> East River side.
>
> Wow, does one have to make a steep turn south of Roosevelt Island to be
> able to turn around! Much more narrow than the Hudson River side.

With a clearance, you can make your life easier. As you'll read on the
above cited page, Approach gave me a nice trip down the east river with no
problem at all. I even had my own controller <grin>.

A page with a fair bit of information on overflying NYC is:

http://www.carneyaviation.com/nyctour/nyctour.htm

- Andrew

HECTOP
February 9th 04, 05:22 PM
Peter R. > wrote:
> How did you coordinate this with ATC? Was it simply a matter of being
> cleared into the class B airspace for aerial photography? Am I correct in
> assuming that this would not be allowed anymore?

yeah, back in the day all it was just asking LGA tower to do aerial
photography low over the city and that was it, we did some pretty close
circling around that building as you can tell by the pic, and then went to
WTC and did same. It used to be similar in DC, you could ask the departure
from DCA to do an aerial tour and they just vectored you around the
prohibited areas, I did some close shots of National Cathedral and
Georgetown back then, as well as a face-on shot of the Pentagon just couple
of weeks before 9/11. I miss those days:

http://www.maxho.com/BigTrip/pages/Pentagon.htm
http://www.maxho.com/dca/pages/NationalCathedral.htm
http://www.maxho.com/wtc

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Nathan D. Olmscheid
February 9th 04, 09:58 PM
Robert...you the same guy over on the Home Automation news groups? The name
looks familiar!

Nathan

"Robert L. Bass" > wrote in news:HOBVb.123770$U%
5.603656@attbi_s03:

> Larry who???
>
> I had kill filed Larry D a long time ago.
>
> "Chuck" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
>> <snip>
>>
>> Because it's not considered general aviation and Larry has everyone too
>> scared to post off topic now...

S Green
February 10th 04, 12:14 AM
"HECTOP" > wrote in message
> There's no flame war about that AA pilot preaching Jesus to his
passengers?

> You guys dissapoint me! I opened my newsreader just to check if you are at
> each other's throats, burning down houses and stuff, and what, dead calm?
> Where's your sense of good ol' confrontation? Where's deb2k, fergodsakes!?
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/02/08/airline.christianity/index.html

and another view of the story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3472265.stm

John Galban
February 10th 04, 07:24 PM
"S Green" > wrote in message >...

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3472265.stm

"Flight attendants notified ground control. "

Haaahaaa! I love reporters. They always manage to throw an amusing
nugget into every aviation related story :-)

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Snowbird
February 11th 04, 03:01 AM
(John Galban) wrote in message >...

> "Flight attendants notified ground control. "

> Haaahaaa! I love reporters. They always manage to throw an amusing
> nugget into every aviation related story :-)

FWIW (not that it's worth much) I read that and assumed they
were talking about some company air-to-ground comm capability.
I've seen flight attendents bring printouts of some kind of
company communication into the cockpit on some flights (pre 9/11)
so at least some flights on some airlines seem to have this capability?

Sydney

Andrew Gideon
February 11th 04, 03:16 AM
Snowbird wrote:

> FWIW (not that it's worth much) I read that and assumed they
> were talking about some company air-to-ground comm capability.

Telephone?

C J Campbell
February 11th 04, 06:55 AM
"HECTOP" > wrote in message
| There's no flame war about that AA pilot preaching Jesus to his
passengers?

| You guys dissapoint me! I opened my newsreader just to check if you are at
| each other's throats, burning down houses and stuff, and what, dead calm?
| Where's your sense of good ol' confrontation? Where's deb2k, fergodsakes!?

Everybody kill-filed everybody else. There is no one left to argue with. You
got here after the final holocaust.

Tom Sixkiller
February 11th 04, 02:28 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

> "HECTOP" > wrote in message
> | There's no flame war about that AA pilot preaching Jesus to his
> passengers?
> |
> | You guys dissapoint me! I opened my newsreader just to check if you are
at
> | each other's throats, burning down houses and stuff, and what, dead
calm?
> | Where's your sense of good ol' confrontation? Where's deb2k,
fergodsakes!?

> Everybody kill-filed everybody else. There is no one left to argue with.
You
> got here after the final holocaust.

(Sounds of clock ticking...crickets chirping...)

Snowbird
February 11th 04, 02:41 PM
Andrew Gideon > wrote in message e.com>...
> Snowbird wrote:
> > FWIW (not that it's worth much) I read that and assumed they
> > were talking about some company air-to-ground comm capability.

> Telephone?

Dunno. I was (pre 9/11) hanging in the cockpit door, chatting
to the PNF and the stewardess came up with a printout that looked
like a wide paper tape receipt that had wx and routing info on
it "this just came up for you guys".

Dunno how it was received -- obviously not a phone conversation,
but could be some kind of FAX like gizmo.

Cheers,
Sydney

Google