PDA

View Full Version : gliding for disabled people

Ralf S.
February 9th 04, 10:32 AM
Hi NG,

We wave a guy who recently has been disabled by an accident. He still loves
to fly and now we're looking to adjust one of our two seat gliders for him.

Has anyone some experience how to adjust a glider for that. Does anyone has
some blue prints to give us some ideas.
We're especially looking for some experiences how to convert a SZD 50
Puchacz.

Any ideas where I can find some information?

rgds
Ralf

Andrew Crane
February 9th 04, 10:57 AM
"Ralf S." > wrote in message
> Hi NG,
>
> We wave a guy who recently has been disabled by an accident. He still
loves
> to fly and now we're looking to adjust one of our two seat gliders for
him.

> Has anyone some experience how to adjust a glider for that.

Might help if you tell us the nature of the disability and the type and
model of glider?

Regards
Andrew

--
Inweb Networks. Quality internet and telecoms services
Sales: 08000 612222 Support: 08704322222. http://www.inweb.co.uk

Ralf S.
February 9th 04, 11:27 AM
More information:

We need a hand - rudder adaption for a Puchacz SZD 50 (two seater - glider)
as the piloto is not able to move his legs.

rgds
Ralf

Stefan
February 9th 04, 12:35 PM
Ralf S. wrote:

> We need a hand - rudder adaption for a Puchacz SZD 50 (two seater - glider)
> as the piloto is not able to move his legs.

I know it has been done before. I can't point you to an address, but
maybe a post to rec.aviation.soaring will yield results.

Stefan

Todd Pattist
February 9th 04, 02:04 PM
"Ralf S." > wrote:

>We wave a guy who recently has been disabled by an accident. He still loves
>to fly and now we're looking to adjust one of our two seat gliders for him.

I've seen the G-103 rudder/airbrake hand control mods, but
I'd strongly suggest a visit here for info on flying for the
disabled:

http://www.freedomswings.org

They've got all the expertise on how to make the kind of
mods you need.

Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

lance smith
February 9th 04, 07:13 PM
Hi Ralf,

I'm not a sailor (i'm a pilot : ) but I know there is a local glider
school that has a converted sail plane. The president (Bret Willat)
has been an incomplete para since 1985- give them a call and they
should be able to help you out.

http://www.skysailing.com/

-lance smith

"Ralf S." > wrote in message >...
> Hi NG,
>
> We wave a guy who recently has been disabled by an accident. He still loves
> to fly and now we're looking to adjust one of our two seat gliders for him.
>
> Has anyone some experience how to adjust a glider for that. Does anyone has
> some blue prints to give us some ideas.
> We're especially looking for some experiences how to convert a SZD 50
> Puchacz.
>
> Any ideas where I can find some information?
>
> rgds
> Ralf

Earl Grieda
February 10th 04, 06:17 AM
"lance smith" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Ralf,
>
> I'm not a sailor (i'm a pilot : ) but I know there is a local glider
> school that has a converted sail plane. The president (Bret Willat)
> has been an incomplete para since 1985- give them a call and they
> should be able to help you out.
>
> http://www.skysailing.com/
>
> -lance smith

Whoa!! What happened to Bret. I flew with him for spin training when he
had his school in Fremont CA.

Earl G

lance smith
February 10th 04, 04:23 PM
I don't know what happened to Bret. The web site only mentions it and
when I stopped by I talked to his wife. But from what he's doing it
seems like he got back on the horse and back in the plane. Props to
him. Well no spinning props since he's doing gliders : )

-lance smith

"Earl Grieda" > wrote in message . net>...
> "lance smith" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi Ralf,
> >
> > I'm not a sailor (i'm a pilot : ) but I know there is a local glider
> > school that has a converted sail plane. The president (Bret Willat)
> > has been an incomplete para since 1985- give them a call and they
> > should be able to help you out.
> >
> > http://www.skysailing.com/
> >
> > -lance smith
> >
> Whoa!! What happened to Bret. I flew with him for spin training when he
> had his school in Fremont CA.
>
> Earl G

Sylvain
February 11th 04, 03:22 AM
"Ralf S." > wrote in message
> We wave a guy who recently has been disabled by an accident. He still loves
> to fly and now we're looking to adjust one of our two seat gliders for him.

you might be interested in joining us at International Wheelchair Aviators
(see the web site: http://www.wheelchairaviators.org/) -- it might be
valuable to talk to folks who have 'been there done that' instead of
reinventing the wheel.

Another source of interesting info about flying gliders/sailplanes
with disabilities is the Swedish organization called "Vi har fått vingar"
--- i.e., "We Have Got Wings" ; the problem is my information is not
particularly up to date, and I hope the addresses below are still
valid:

Vi Har Fått Vingar ("We Have Got Wings")
Pl. 662
S-741 00 Knivsta
Sweden

And the address of the National Soaring Federation of Sweden is:

Swedish Soaring Federation
Box 750
S-521 22 Falköping
Telephone: +46 515 371 51
Fax: + 46 515 371 58

what is interesting with the Swedes is that they have developped gliding
for people with disability quite a bit (apparently the Swedish Royal Family
is supporting the organization) and developped intesting hardware /
adaptations;

--Sylvain

Google