PDA

View Full Version : 2013 SSA Convention

GM
December 20th 12, 06:49 AM
Hi y'all in US-Gliderland,
are the location and dates for the 2013 SSA convention already fixed? Looking at the SSA web-site, it still shows the info for the 2012 convention in Reno.
Thx,
'GM'

Darryl Ramm
December 20th 12, 08:07 AM
On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:49:19 PM UTC-8, GM wrote:
> Hi y'all in US-Gliderland,
>
> are the location and dates for the 2013 SSA convention already fixed? Looking at the SSA web-site, it still shows the info for the 2012 convention in Reno.
>
> Thx,
>
> 'GM'

Conventions are now biannual, there will be a 2014 convention. None in 2013.

Darryl

Tony[_5_]
December 20th 12, 12:51 PM
yep. boo hiss.

GM
December 20th 12, 12:57 PM
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:07:41 AM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:49:19 PM UTC-8, GM wrote: > Hi y'all in US-Gliderland, > > are the location and dates for the 2013 SSA convention already fixed? Looking at the SSA web-site, it still shows the info for the 2012 convention in Reno. > > Thx, > > 'GM' Conventions are now biannual, there will be a 2014 convention. None in 2013. Darryl

Not even a mini-convention like we had in Philadelphia in 2011? Dang!
Perhaps that should be announced by up-dating the SSA web-site....
'GM'

Burt Compton - Marfa
December 20th 12, 03:57 PM
Petition your SSA Directors if you want to return to the annual 3 day SSA Conventions with seminars, sailplanes on display, vendors with gliding goodies, Condor demo booth and more, See the list at www.ssa.org under "Governance." You can e-mail blast the entire list of Directors if you like.

The SSA Directors at the Little Rock Convention in 2010 voted to hold the full convention every two years, against the protests of myself, Bob Wander and Denise Layton at SSA HQ, who reminded us that conventions are actually profitable for the SSA and she has a "Convention Manual" at Hobbs for organizing the event. My understanding is that they went to two years to accommodate the wishes of a few vendors who felt it was a hassle to bring display sailplanes across the USA for a 3 day event, not necessarily the SSA membership. As I recall, the SSA Directors referred to some surveys but most every SSA member I talk to wonders why the convention schedule is now biennial. I travel around the USA attending soaring events and conducting site safety surveys so I talk to many SSA members, probably more than most Directors. I resigned as a SSA Director at Large effective DEC 31, 2012.

No matter what the reason for the biennial conventions, an annual SSA Convention is a wonderful experience, mainly because of the new people you meet face to face (instead of on r.a.s.) and the renewed friendships.

Sadly, a SSA Convention is often the place where you will interact with someone for the last time, especially our older mentors like Dick Johnson, Paul Schweizer, Gus Briegleb, Charlie Spratt, Chris O'Callahan and so many more.

I posted this to r.a.s. on DEC 10:

Through a Soaring Society of America Board vote, it has been decided to have the winter SSA Board Meeting in Houston, Texas on Saturday, February 23, 2013.

The host hotel is the Hyatt North Houston, The toll free number is 800-233-1234.
Please ask for the SSA rate which is $89.00.

The Hyatt North Houston is located north of Sam Houston Parkway at Imperial Valley Drive, about 8 miles southwest of Bush International Airport (IAH)
and provides free shuttle service.

Since there is no SSA Convention (until winter 2014), there will be a dinner followed by a short annual membership meeting and presentation of SSA awards. Dinner reservations required.

I'll be there!

Posters, please note that "biannual" means twice a year. "Biennial" means every two years.
This may be the reason the FAA dropped the term "biennial" from the FAR 61.56 Flight Review rule and added "24 months." It is not a BFR, it is now a FR. In any case I know what you mean.

Frank Whiteley
December 20th 12, 06:37 PM
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:57:22 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
> Petition your SSA Directors if you want to return to the annual 3 day SSA Conventions with seminars, sailplanes on display, vendors with gliding goodies, Condor demo booth and more, See the list at www.ssa.org under "Governance." You can e-mail blast the entire list of Directors if you like.
>
>
>
> The SSA Directors at the Little Rock Convention in 2010 voted to hold the full convention every two years, against the protests of myself, Bob Wander and Denise Layton at SSA HQ, who reminded us that conventions are actually profitable for the SSA and she has a "Convention Manual" at Hobbs for organizing the event. My understanding is that they went to two years to accommodate the wishes of a few vendors who felt it was a hassle to bring display sailplanes across the USA for a 3 day event, not necessarily the SSA membership. As I recall, the SSA Directors referred to some surveys but most every SSA member I talk to wonders why the convention schedule is now biennial. I travel around the USA attending soaring events and conducting site safety surveys so I talk to many SSA members, probably more than most Directors. I resigned as a SSA Director at Large effective DEC 31, 2012.
>
>
>
> No matter what the reason for the biennial conventions, an annual SSA Convention is a wonderful experience, mainly because of the new people you meet face to face (instead of on r.a.s.) and the renewed friendships.
>
>
>
> Sadly, a SSA Convention is often the place where you will interact with someone for the last time, especially our older mentors like Dick Johnson, Paul Schweizer, Gus Briegleb, Charlie Spratt, Chris O'Callahan and so many more.
>
>
>
> I posted this to r.a.s. on DEC 10:
>
>
>
> Through a Soaring Society of America Board vote, it has been decided to have the winter SSA Board Meeting in Houston, Texas on Saturday, February 23, 2013.
>
>
>
> The host hotel is the Hyatt North Houston, The toll free number is 800-233-1234.
>
> Please ask for the SSA rate which is $89.00.
>
>
>
> The Hyatt North Houston is located north of Sam Houston Parkway at Imperial Valley Drive, about 8 miles southwest of Bush International Airport (IAH)
>
> and provides free shuttle service.
>
>
>
> Since there is no SSA Convention (until winter 2014), there will be a dinner followed by a short annual membership meeting and presentation of SSA awards. Dinner reservations required.
>
>
>
> I'll be there!
>
>
>
> Posters, please note that "biannual" means twice a year. "Biennial" means every two years.
>
> This may be the reason the FAA dropped the term "biennial" from the FAR 61.56 Flight Review rule and added "24 months." It is not a BFR, it is now a FR. In any case I know what you mean.

The change was a concession to the European manufacturers who were finding it very expensive to support an annual convention in the US and the German Aviation Exhibition at Friedrichshafen, which was every other year. After the SSA took the decision, the Friedrichshafen show went annual. However the glider manufacturers did stay away from that show in 2012 after supporting SSA Reno, planning on attending Friedrichshafen in 2013, then returning to the US in 2014. Yes, the conventions are money makers, but the Philadelphia conference was a money loser. The weather was a factor, but the lack of eye candy was a larger factor. SSA members just didn't show in the requisite numbers. Personally, I find the three day format too short to provide a venue for other workshops. I'm a bit surprised at the number of people that just attend for a day or two. I'd typically there for five days and would spend a week. I know it's hard to get away for others, but there is much opportunity lost for additional committee meetings and face to face contacts in my opinion. Newly selected 1st Vice Chair Gerry Molidor (former IAC head) implores upon the SSA leadership about the importance of this type of contact at Air Venture, within the Type Club Coalition, and other venues. It's something we should bring to the SSA conventions also.

To that end, the SSA has had access to other venues and services that could meet some of these goals. However, there has been no rush to adopt webinars and other forms of digital media, apart from a few notable individual efforts. The world has changed the way organizations and people are interacting. To give some idea of the penetration, the SSA office recently sent letters to nearly a third of the membership who have no listed e-mails or whose e-mail addresses have bounced to SSA e-News. The response has been good so far, but a few thousand more would be even better. We'll see how it goes.

Frank Whiteley
SSA Secretary
970-330-2050 7am-10pm MST

Frank Whiteley
December 20th 12, 06:39 PM
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:57:09 AM UTC-7, GM wrote:
> On Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:07:41 AM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:49:19 PM UTC-8, GM wrote: > Hi y'all in US-Gliderland, > > are the location and dates for the 2013 SSA convention already fixed? Looking at the SSA web-site, it still shows the info for the 2012 convention in Reno. > > Thx, > > 'GM' Conventions are now biannual, there will be a 2014 convention. None in 2013. Darryl
>
>
>
> Not even a mini-convention like we had in Philadelphia in 2011? Dang!
>
> Perhaps that should be announced by up-dating the SSA web-site....
>
> 'GM'

We have a todo list of SSA web site updates, this is among them.

Tony[_5_]
December 20th 12, 07:06 PM
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:37:45 PM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
> On Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:57:22 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote: > Petition your SSA Directors if you want to return to the annual 3 day SSA Conventions with seminars, sailplanes on display, vendors with gliding goodies, Condor demo booth and more, See the list at www.ssa.org under "Governance." You can e-mail blast the entire list of Directors if you like. > > > > The SSA Directors at the Little Rock Convention in 2010 voted to hold the full convention every two years, against the protests of myself, Bob Wander and Denise Layton at SSA HQ, who reminded us that conventions are actually profitable for the SSA and she has a "Convention Manual" at Hobbs for organizing the event. My understanding is that they went to two years to accommodate the wishes of a few vendors who felt it was a hassle to bring display sailplanes across the USA for a 3 day event, not necessarily the SSA membership. As I recall, the SSA Directors referred to some surveys but most every SSA member I talk to wonders why the convention schedule is now biennial. I travel around the USA attending soaring events and conducting site safety surveys so I talk to many SSA members, probably more than most Directors. I resigned as a SSA Director at Large effective DEC 31, 2012. > > > > No matter what the reason for the biennial conventions, an annual SSA Convention is a wonderful experience, mainly because of the new people you meet face to face (instead of on r.a.s.) and the renewed friendships. > > > > Sadly, a SSA Convention is often the place where you will interact with someone for the last time, especially our older mentors like Dick Johnson, Paul Schweizer, Gus Briegleb, Charlie Spratt, Chris O'Callahan and so many more. > > > > I posted this to r.a.s. on DEC 10: > > > > Through a Soaring Society of America Board vote, it has been decided to have the winter SSA Board Meeting in Houston, Texas on Saturday, February 23, 2013. > > > > The host hotel is the Hyatt North Houston, The toll free number is 800-233-1234. > > Please ask for the SSA rate which is $89.00. > > > > The Hyatt North Houston is located north of Sam Houston Parkway at Imperial Valley Drive, about 8 miles southwest of Bush International Airport (IAH) > > and provides free shuttle service. > > > > Since there is no SSA Convention (until winter 2014), there will be a dinner followed by a short annual membership meeting and presentation of SSA awards. Dinner reservations required. > > > > I'll be there! > > > > Posters, please note that "biannual" means twice a year.. "Biennial" means every two years. > > This may be the reason the FAA dropped the term "biennial" from the FAR 61.56 Flight Review rule and added "24 months." It is not a BFR, it is now a FR. In any case I know what you mean.. The change was a concession to the European manufacturers who were finding it very expensive to support an annual convention in the US and the German Aviation Exhibition at Friedrichshafen, which was every other year. After the SSA took the decision, the Friedrichshafen show went annual. However the glider manufacturers did stay away from that show in 2012 after supporting SSA Reno, planning on attending Friedrichshafen in 2013, then returning to the US in 2014. Yes, the conventions are money makers, but the Philadelphia conference was a money loser. The weather was a factor, but the lack of eye candy was a larger factor. SSA members just didn't show in the requisite numbers. Personally, I find the three day format too short to provide a venue for other workshops. I'm a bit surprised at the number of people that just attend for a day or two. I'd typically there for five days and would spend a week. I know it's hard to get away for others, but there is much opportunity lost for additional committee meetings and face to face contacts in my opinion. Newly selected 1st Vice Chair Gerry Molidor (former IAC head) implores upon the SSA leadership about the importance of this type of contact at Air Venture, within the Type Club Coalition, and other venues. It's something we should bring to the SSA conventions also. To that end, the SSA has had access to other venues and services that could meet some of these goals. However, there has been no rush to adopt webinars and other forms of digital media, apart from a few notable individual efforts. The world has changed the way organizations and people are interacting. To give some idea of the penetration, the SSA office recently sent letters to nearly a third of the membership who have no listed e-mails or whose e-mail addresses have bounced to SSA e-News. The response has been good so far, but a few thousand more would be even better. We'll see how it goes. Frank Whiteley SSA Secretary 970-330-2050 7am-10pm MST

You're right, there is an incredible lost opportunity for face to face contacts within the rank & file SSA membership when there is not an annual convention. My personal opinion is that if the European builders can't afford to attend the convention every year, then they shouldn't. But i'm in the minority "hard core" membership who attended Philadelphia and had a great time..

John Cochrane[_3_]
December 20th 12, 08:05 PM
On Dec 20, 12:49*am, GM > wrote:
> are the location and dates for the 2013 SSA convention already fixed? Looking at the SSA web-site, it still shows the info for the 2012 convention in Reno.
> Thx,
> 'GM'

The Chicagoland glider council has a little mini-convention on the
years SSA doesn't have a convention. This year's:

http://chicagolandglidercouncil.com/seminar/

If you're really desperate to talk about gliders in the snow, we have
plenty of both (glider talk, and snow)

(I'll be talking about "how not to do off field landings" rather than
about "contests.")

John Cochrane

Frank Whiteley
December 21st 12, 02:24 AM
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:05:54 PM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
> On Dec 20, 12:49*am, GM > wrote:
>
> > Hi y'all in US-Gliderland,
>
> > are the location and dates for the 2013 SSA convention already fixed? Looking at the SSA web-site, it still shows the info for the 2012 convention in Reno.
>
> > Thx,
>
> > 'GM'
>
>
>
> The Chicagoland glider council has a little mini-convention on the
>
> years SSA doesn't have a convention. This year's:
>
>
>
> http://chicagolandglidercouncil.com/seminar/
>
>
>
> If you're really desperate to talk about gliders in the snow, we have
>
> plenty of both (glider talk, and snow)
>
>
>
> (I'll be talking about "how not to do off field landings" rather than
>
> about "contests.")
>
>
>
> John Cochrane

How about web casting this?

Frank Whiteley

GM
December 21st 12, 01:26 PM
>> The change was a concession to the European manufacturers who were finding it very expensive to support an annual convention in the US <<
That is understandable from their point of view but I bet that the majority if the SSA members attending could care less about the latest shiny toys from across the pond, since they are way out of financial reach - me included.

>> Yes, the conventions are money makers, but the Philadelphia conference was a money loser. The weather was a factor, but the lack of eye candy was a larger factor. <<
The weather was definetely a factor for those flying in. I drove in from SC w/o problems but the lack of eye candy (the long-winged type) - really?
I agree with what others posted reg. their reasons to attend - meeting friends, taking in the papers, seminars and presentations, etc. Therefore, an annnual convention with an alternating format would be the right thing to do.. To avoid the weather trap, consider places which are statistically less likely to be frozen over and/or snowed in the January/February timeframe. Even the US-vendors could attend these mini-conventions - I know that Paul Remde was in Philadelphia and had most of his wares on hand. Its all doable!

Uli

Frank Whiteley
December 21st 12, 02:42 PM
On Friday, December 21, 2012 6:26:17 AM UTC-7, GM wrote:
> >> The change was a concession to the European manufacturers who were finding it very expensive to support an annual convention in the US <<
>
> That is understandable from their point of view but I bet that the majority if the SSA members attending could care less about the latest shiny toys from across the pond, since they are way out of financial reach - me included.
>
>
>
> >> Yes, the conventions are money makers, but the Philadelphia conference was a money loser. The weather was a factor, but the lack of eye candy was a larger factor. <<
>
> The weather was definetely a factor for those flying in. I drove in from SC w/o problems but the lack of eye candy (the long-winged type) - really?
>
> I agree with what others posted reg. their reasons to attend - meeting friends, taking in the papers, seminars and presentations, etc. Therefore, an annnual convention with an alternating format would be the right thing to do. To avoid the weather trap, consider places which are statistically less likely to be frozen over and/or snowed in the January/February timeframe. Even the US-vendors could attend these mini-conventions - I know that Paul Remde was in Philadelphia and had most of his wares on hand. Its all doable!
>
>
>
> Uli

It would seem so, however, there are desirable venues where SSA conventions are not held because the numbers just don't work. It may have been hasty to abandon the conference venue after a sample of one, but that's where we are for now. As for me, I'd be at a conference.

Frank Whiteley

Dan Daly[_2_]
December 21st 12, 03:26 PM
On Dec 21, 9:42*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
> On Friday, December 21, 2012 6:26:17 AM UTC-7, GM wrote:
> > >> The change was a concession to the European manufacturers who were finding it very expensive to support an annual convention in the US <<
>
> > That is understandable from their point of view but I bet that the majority if the SSA members attending could care less about the latest shiny toys from across the pond, since they are way out of financial reach - me included.
>
> > >> Yes, the conventions are money makers, but the Philadelphia conference was a money loser. The weather was a factor, but the lack of eye candy was a larger factor. <<
>
> > The weather was definetely a factor for those flying in. I drove in from SC w/o problems but the lack of eye candy (the long-winged type) - really?
>
> > I agree with what others posted reg. their reasons to attend - meeting friends, taking in the papers, seminars and presentations, etc. Therefore, an annnual convention with an alternating format would be the right thing to do. To avoid the weather trap, consider places which are statistically less likely to be frozen over and/or snowed in the January/February timeframe.. Even the US-vendors could attend these mini-conventions - I know that Paul Remde was in Philadelphia and had most of his wares on hand. Its all doable!
>
> > Uli
>
> It would seem so, however, there are desirable venues where SSA conventions are not held because the numbers just don't work. It may have been hasty to abandon the conference venue after a sample of one, but that's where we are for now. *As for me, I'd be at a conference.
>
> Frank Whiteley

I drove from Toronto Canada to Little Rock - not knowing the weather
was going to be better at home! I've been to 5 Conventions, and for
me, the 'new glass drooling area' is nice, but I always have at least
one of the three speaker tracks to keep me out of it; the new and
coolest electronic gadgets are nice to see (and buy). I'd go to an
alternate year - no display floor - conference. One of the reasons I
keep my SSA membership.

It would be interesting to have the conference run while a sailplane
grand prix was on, on the internet, in that other hemisphere.
Interesting sports bar possibility... Presentations all day, GP all
night...

Bill D
December 21st 12, 05:16 PM
Just for discussion...

Traditionally, the SSA convention is in the dead of winter. Presumably, the logic is this is when little else is going on in the soaring world so it won't conflict with more important activities like flying. It's also when off-season hotel rates are their cheapest. Flight demonstrations have never been part of the SSA convention so weather is not a factor for that.

While mid-winter makes sense, it often results in weather related travel problems for the members attending. IMHO, it would be better to schedule the Convention in mid-fall after the flying season is over for most of the country. Or, if that doesn't work, schedule it in a location known for good winter weather. Many people in snow country would welcome a warm weather break.

While I don't know of a location with convention space on an airport where flight demonstrations would be possible, that would be nice.

Larry Suter
December 22nd 12, 04:16 AM
When and where is the 2014 Convention? I looked on the SSA website all that's on there is info about the 2012 Reno Convention.

Larry

CindyB[_2_]
December 22nd 12, 08:55 AM
On Friday, December 21, 2012 8:16:45 PM UTC-8, Larry Suter wrote:
> When and where is the 2014 Convention? I looked on the SSA website all that's on there is info about the 2012 Reno Convention.
>
>
>
> Larry

Larry:

The SSA Board will decide on a 2014 convention location at our Feb. 2013 meeting. An offering has been made for Florida, but that group has hotel/meals in one place, display site at a ~15 minute van ride away, both are a ~40 minute drive from Orlando airport. Not the most optimal or typical layout, and not cheap rooms, both of these factors are important to member participation/financial viability.
Regrettably, we have had smaller turnouts in the East than the West for SSA gatherings, which is also problematic. I am told that folks will come to Florida and bring families for vacationing alongside the Convention, but I am not convinced of that.....(prove me wrong?).

For those of you who would attend, make your preferences known to your Regional Directors (PLEASE). Along with Burt, I strongly pitched for an alternating gathering/conference, for safety training and social networking, but I was in the minority. This CAN be reversed, with a moderate hue and cry from members.

Thanks for asking, and for letting your thoughts be known.

Cindy B
Region 12 Director

Charlie Papa[_2_]
December 22nd 12, 01:08 PM
On Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:49:19 AM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>
>
> Thx,
>
> 'GM'

Well, I'm for central Florida.

I migrate there for the whole winter from Toronto. And yes, there would be some shuttle bus time involved, but then there is the other side of the equation: bring the other half, - and even the kids, and if gliders are not her/their thing, there are the legendary theme parks, - Disney, Sea World, etc, as well as one of the top 10 Florida golf courses right at the proposed main hotel (http://www.missioninnresort.com/ ). After the convention, move over to the coast for some beach time, - a 90 minute drive in your rental car. Or fly, maybe in one of the ships you are considering, at Seminole Lakes Gliderport a half hour south of the Mission Inn.

And Cindy, you don't think more members, and their wives and family, would opt for that than Reno in February? There's a reason Sun 'n Fun chooses central Florida, -many reasons.

RL
December 22nd 12, 11:00 PM
In 2011 we conducted a formal survey for the SSA on the Convention –

From a total of 351 respondents (which is statistically significant for the soaring community):

55.2% preferred a convention every two years
40.8% preferred every year
2.9% every three years
1.1% every four years

Most commonly cited reason for an every other year convention was that not enough changes for an every year event… the exhibits and presentation sessions are repetitious.

Concerning a scaled down “off-year” event with no exhibits:

29% were interested or very interested
71% ranged from somewhat interested to not interested

Bob

Bob Whelan[_3_]
December 23rd 12, 03:40 PM
On 12/22/2012 4:00 PM, RL wrote:
> In 2011 we conducted a formal survey for the SSA on the Convention –
>
> From a total of 351 respondents (which is statistically significant for the
> soaring community):
>
> 55.2% preferred a convention every two years 40.8% preferred every year
> 2.9% every three years 1.1% every four years
>
> Most commonly cited reason for an every other year convention was that not
> enough changes for an every year event… the exhibits and presentation
> sessions are repetitious.
>
> Concerning a scaled down “off-year” event with no exhibits:
>
> 29% were interested or very interested 71% ranged from somewhat interested
> to not interested

I *knew* someone would inevitably bring facts into this thread. (Curse you
FactMan!)

But seriously, I remember (and took) that survey. I was also dismayed at the
results, statistically valid though they were. I voted for annual conventions,
despite - or maybe because of - having gone to only two, beginning with the
'90s Portland convention. IMO, kinda like XC soaring, more options are good!

Opening myself to charges of whining after the fact, I seem to remember
something that bothered me at the time about the survey and how it was likely
to be used. It was this:

If I accepted as fact that - as has been presented both on RAS and in
"Soaring" magazine - conventions were not a money loser for SSA, then why
would SSA NOT want it as an annual event? In other words, so long as an annual
convention remained an attractive (to some/"enough") members - which means of
course that it also remained sufficiently worthwhile to be supported by
"enough" commercial vendors, track presenters, etc. - to *remain* commercially
viable, why not have continued down a working path? Why the need to "compel"
formal democracy via ballot (vs. some other method)? So what if the majority
of SSA members would not (and never did!) attend the convention in any given
year? Those that did benefited, SSA benefited, presumably most vendors
benefited, etc...

Oh well, at least in my hemisphere day lengths are again increasing...

Bob W.

K
December 23rd 12, 03:46 PM
On Saturday, December 22, 2012 1:55:52 AM UTC-7, CindyB wrote:
> On Friday, December 21, 2012 8:16:45 PM UTC-8, Larry Suter wrote:
>
> > When and where is the 2014 Convention? I looked on the SSA website all that's on there is info about the 2012 Reno Convention.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Larry
>
>
>
> Larry:
>
>
>
> The SSA Board will decide on a 2014 convention location at our Feb. 2013 meeting. An offering has been made for Florida, but that group has hotel/meals in one place, display site at a ~15 minute van ride away, both are a ~40 minute drive from Orlando airport. Not the most optimal or typical layout, and not cheap rooms, both of these factors are important to member participation/financial viability.
>
> Regrettably, we have had smaller turnouts in the East than the West for SSA gatherings, which is also problematic. I am told that folks will come to Florida and bring families for vacationing alongside the Convention, but I am not convinced of that.....(prove me wrong?).
>
>
>
> For those of you who would attend, make your preferences known to your Regional Directors (PLEASE). Along with Burt, I strongly pitched for an alternating gathering/conference, for safety training and social networking, but I was in the minority. This CAN be reversed, with a moderate hue and cry from members.
>
>
>
> Thanks for asking, and for letting your thoughts be known.
>
>
>
> Cindy B
>
> Region 12 Director
There are several Hotels next to the Orlando Convention Center. Is the problem with a lack of banquet space at the nearby accommodations? I can fully understand the problems with Florida. It is actually difficult to get to from many parts of the country, involves alot of driving, and the local parks are not an issue because the kids will be in school. A few years ago I attended the NBAA Convention and it was hideously expensive and involved a substantial amount of driving between venues.
I fully realize the convention has to change locations or swap ends so to speak and I will plan on attending on matter where it ends up but Florida will probably end up being a low attendance year.

JohnDeRosa
December 23rd 12, 04:14 PM
If you are looking for something to do during the winter, come to the
ChicagoLand Glider Council seminar on February 16, 2013.

See http://chicagolandglidercouncil.com/seminar for full details.

Thanks,
John DeRosa
Secretary, ChicagoLand Glider Council

Frank Whiteley
December 23rd 12, 05:31 PM
On Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:46:19 AM UTC-7, K wrote:
> On Saturday, December 22, 2012 1:55:52 AM UTC-7, CindyB wrote:
>
> > On Friday, December 21, 2012 8:16:45 PM UTC-8, Larry Suter wrote:
>
> >
>
> > > When and where is the 2014 Convention? I looked on the SSA website all that's on there is info about the 2012 Reno Convention.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > Larry
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Larry:
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > The SSA Board will decide on a 2014 convention location at our Feb. 2013 meeting. An offering has been made for Florida, but that group has hotel/meals in one place, display site at a ~15 minute van ride away, both are a ~40 minute drive from Orlando airport. Not the most optimal or typical layout, and not cheap rooms, both of these factors are important to member participation/financial viability.
>
> >
>
> > Regrettably, we have had smaller turnouts in the East than the West for SSA gatherings, which is also problematic. I am told that folks will come to Florida and bring families for vacationing alongside the Convention, but I am not convinced of that.....(prove me wrong?).
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > For those of you who would attend, make your preferences known to your Regional Directors (PLEASE). Along with Burt, I strongly pitched for an alternating gathering/conference, for safety training and social networking, but I was in the minority. This CAN be reversed, with a moderate hue and cry from members.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Thanks for asking, and for letting your thoughts be known.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Cindy B
>
> >
>
> > Region 12 Director
>
> There are several Hotels next to the Orlando Convention Center. Is the problem with a lack of banquet space at the nearby accommodations? I can fully understand the problems with Florida. It is actually difficult to get to from many parts of the country, involves alot of driving, and the local parks are not an issue because the kids will be in school. A few years ago I attended the NBAA Convention and it was hideously expensive and involved a substantial amount of driving between venues.
>
> I fully realize the convention has to change locations or swap ends so to speak and I will plan on attending on matter where it ends up but Florida will probably end up being a low attendance year.

Florida is a prime wintertime convention location. I believe Orlando CC is one of the more expensive convention venues, even if available, and wasn't under consideration as affordable to the SSA. The logistics of the sites under consideration in Florida pose some issues. An on-site assessment is/was being done and will be reported to the SSA EXCOM/Directors.

Frank Whiteley
December 23rd 12, 05:33 PM
On Sunday, December 23, 2012 9:14:58 AM UTC-7, JohnDeRosa wrote:
> If you are looking for something to do during the winter, come to the
>
> ChicagoLand Glider Council seminar on February 16, 2013.
>
>
>
> See http://chicagolandglidercouncil.com/seminar for full details.
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> John DeRosa
>
> Secretary, ChicagoLand Glider Council

You are invited to web cast this event.

Frank Whiteley
Secretary, Soaring Society of America

Google