PDA

View Full Version : New LXNAV V3 variometers in stock now

Paul Remde
December 24th 12, 07:12 PM
Hi,

The exciting new LXNAV V3 variometers arrived in my stock today. You can
see details and order here:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lxnav.htm#LXNAV-V3

Happy Holidays,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

December 27th 12, 03:01 AM
Wings and wheels has them for $695.00

Richard[_9_]
December 27th 12, 04:12 PM
On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 7:01:23 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> Wings and wheels has them for $695.00

Craggy Aero

Even Less

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Kimmo Hytoenen
December 27th 12, 08:13 PM
LXNAV V3 looks like an interesting device. It seems to have RS232
communication - what data does it send out? Can flight computer
application like XCSoar communicate with it?

Richard[_9_]
December 27th 12, 09:19 PM
On Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:13:14 PM UTC-8, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:
> LXNAV V3 looks like an interesting device. It seems to have RS232 communication - what data does it send out? Can flight computer application like XCSoar communicate with it?

Kimmo,

The V3 serial interface is used only for firmware update. It cannot output to navigation software, for that you need the V7.

Happy New Year

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

December 28th 12, 01:29 AM
On Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:19:01 PM UTC, Richard wrote:
> On Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:13:14 PM UTC-8, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:
>
> > LXNAV V3 looks like an interesting device. It seems to have RS232 communication - what data does it send out? Can flight computer application like XCSoar communicate with it?
>

> Kimmo,
>

> The V3 serial interface is used only for firmware update. It cannot output to navigation software, for that you need the V7.
>

> Happy New Year
>

> Richard
>
> www.craggyaero.com

The V3/V7 price difference is interesting. It must be mainly justified by marketing rather than the different electronics?

Paul Remde
December 28th 12, 02:02 PM
> The V3/V7 price difference is interesting. It must be mainly justified by
> marketing rather than the different electronics?

Hi,

There is a big hardware difference between the V7 and V3. The V7 has pitot
an static inputs and can therefore display push/pull (speed-up/slow-down)
commands. The V3 does not have pitot or static inputs. It can tell you how
fast to fly, but it doesn't know how fast you are flying, so it can't tell
you to speed-up/slow-down. The V3 is a great new idea. It is a Total
Energy vario with audio, with the ability to display the recommended
speed-to-fly based on your glider's polar and the current MacCready setting
and the current lift/sink. It is a lot like having a smart MacCready ring
on a mechanical vario. You can see details here:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lxnav.htm#LXNAV-V3

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Echo
December 30th 12, 08:18 AM
Can the mechanical needle of the V3 function without electrical input? So, if a total power loss, any vario function left? Thanks,

Jordan
ASW20 E

On Friday, December 28, 2012 8:02:49 AM UTC-6, Paul Remde wrote:
> > The V3/V7 price difference is interesting. It must be mainly justified by
>
> > marketing rather than the different electronics?
>

> Hi,
>

> There is a big hardware difference between the V7 and V3. The V7 has pitot
>
> an static inputs and can therefore display push/pull (speed-up/slow-down)
>
> commands. The V3 does not have pitot or static inputs. It can tell you how
>
> fast to fly, but it doesn't know how fast you are flying, so it can't tell
>
> you to speed-up/slow-down. The V3 is a great new idea. It is a Total
>
> Energy vario with audio, with the ability to display the recommended
>
> speed-to-fly based on your glider's polar and the current MacCready setting
>
> and the current lift/sink. It is a lot like having a smart MacCready ring
>
> on a mechanical vario. You can see details here:
>
> http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lxnav.htm#LXNAV-V3
>

> Best Regards,
>

> Paul Remde
>
> Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Paul Remde
December 30th 12, 01:26 PM
Hi,

No. The needs is driven by an electrical stepper-motor, so it won't work if
there is no power. However, the V3 can be powered by an small backup
battery or battery pack. It operates on as little as 6V. A battery pack
from Radio Shack that holds 4 to 6 AA batteries would work great as a
backup. A panel mounted switch could be used to switch to the backup
battery pack if the main battery gets too low. Or, you could use 2 main
batteries and switch between them as necessary - that is very commonly done.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Echo" wrote in message

Can the mechanical needle of the V3 function without electrical input? So,
if a total power loss, any vario function left? Thanks,

Jordan
ASW20 E

On Friday, December 28, 2012 8:02:49 AM UTC-6, Paul Remde wrote:
> > The V3/V7 price difference is interesting. It must be mainly justified
> > by
>
> > marketing rather than the different electronics?
>

> Hi,
>

> There is a big hardware difference between the V7 and V3. The V7 has
> pitot
>
> an static inputs and can therefore display push/pull (speed-up/slow-down)
>
> commands. The V3 does not have pitot or static inputs. It can tell you
> how
>
> fast to fly, but it doesn't know how fast you are flying, so it can't tell
>
> you to speed-up/slow-down. The V3 is a great new idea. It is a Total
>
> Energy vario with audio, with the ability to display the recommended
>
> speed-to-fly based on your glider's polar and the current MacCready
> setting
>
> and the current lift/sink. It is a lot like having a smart MacCready ring
>
> on a mechanical vario. You can see details here:
>
> http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lxnav.htm#LXNAV-V3
>

> Best Regards,
>

> Paul Remde
>
> Cumulus Soaring, Inc.