PDA

View Full Version : Downloadable VOR/ADF simulator?

Brad Z
February 10th 04, 06:05 PM
Greetings!

I'm taking my CFII checkride at the FSDO tommorrow and since I'm taking my
laptop along with me, I thought it would be cool to have a VOR/ADF
simulator/trainer loaded on my computer to use as a teaching aid. Since
internet access won't be available, I'd like a some sort of freeware app
that I can load locally. I've checked out the web based java applets on
Ryan Ferguson's site (by Roy Epperson), as well as Tim Carlsons applet
(which by the way, I download the nav.zip file off of his site to run
locally but it doesn't work??).

Anybody have any ideas?

John Harlow
February 10th 04, 07:48 PM
> I'm taking my CFII checkride at the FSDO tommorrow and since I'm taking my
> laptop along with me, I thought it would be cool to have a VOR/ADF
> simulator/trainer loaded on my computer to use as a teaching aid.

Why don't you just carry 545 around with you? ;)

> Anybody have any ideas?

http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav/

download his zip, expand all the files in a directory and launch his
index.html.

p.s. - GOOD LUCK!

Jim
February 10th 04, 07:58 PM
Let us know how the ride goes! I've been putting off my II for the past few
months and need to get my butt in gear. It would be great to hear the
details of your checkride.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Brad Z
February 10th 04, 08:16 PM
Will do! I know the feeling, well. This is my intial flight instrustor
checkride, so I've been relearning all the FOI stuff I have forgotten since
I took my written over a year ago.

"Jim" > wrote in message
> Let us know how the ride goes! I've been putting off my II for the past
few
> months and need to get my butt in gear. It would be great to hear the
> details of your checkride.
> --
> Jim Burns III
>
> Remove "nospam" to reply

Brad Z
February 10th 04, 08:20 PM
> Why don't you just carry 545 around with you? ;)

Isn't it in the Carribean right now?

> download his zip, expand all the files in a directory and launch his
> index.html.

OK got it to work now.

> p.s. - GOOD LUCK!

Thanks, I'm crossing my fingers, toes, flight controls and CDI/GS needles
for a successful outcome.

Jim
February 10th 04, 08:47 PM
Good luck!!! My initial was an all day affair.

Break things down so they are simple and easy to understand then build on
them. Don't use terms that the student hasn't heard before unless you first
explain them i.e.: ground effect, angle of attack etc. When something goes
wrong just keep teaching and explain what happened, why it happened and what
to do to prevent it from happening again. (that was a real good take off,
but the reason we lifted off sooner and slower than last time and climbed
steeper than last time was because we had 20 degrees of flaps deployed, next
time let's try it with flaps completely retracted)

And have fun. Remember you can always take the ride again. I botched mine
after 6 hours of oral. My second go around we did 3 hours of oral and 3
hours of flying. Several times she mentioned that I seemed more relaxed the
second time and acted like I was having fun, both important things to pass
along to the students. Who wants to try to learn something from somebody
that is all tensed up and not enjoying what he's doing?

Relax take your time and you'll do great.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Google