PDA

View Full Version : Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

KiloKilo[_2_]
December 31st 12, 06:11 PM
I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.

I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.

I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr75O-Ys&feature=youtu.be

KK

mike
December 31st 12, 07:26 PM
On Monday, December 31, 2012 11:11:25 AM UTC-7, KiloKilo wrote:
> I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.
>

> I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.
>

> I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr75O-Ys&feature=youtu.be
>

> KK

If you have not purchased Power Director yet, try Magix Movie Edit Pro software also. I have both PD and MEP and use the Magix software. For the price I can not think of a better camera than a GoPro Hero 3. I have an older Hero HD and am still happy with it.

Mike

RAS56
December 31st 12, 07:41 PM
I use a Drift HD camera, suction mounted to the canopy and edit with Adobe Premiere Elements...

The wrist-mounted remote control for the Drift sealed the deal for me...really like being able to start/stop the camera without having to fiddle with it...big buttons on the wrist mount make it easy...

ZAP

Jim[_30_]
December 31st 12, 07:41 PM
On Monday, December 31, 2012 1:11:25 PM UTC-5, KiloKilo wrote:
> I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.
>

> I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.
>

> I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr75O-Ys&feature=youtu.be
>

> KK

Ken, I have an older GoPro and love it....I have done a lot of videos with it. Sometimes I hold it in my hand...sometimes I have wing mounted. I can't think of any camera that is more suited to soaring videos....I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum for editing....I like it but it has a rather long learning curve.

Some samples of my videos on YouTube here is one with the GoPro on the wing and inside I had the pocket camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHn0jQt_oSk&list=UUqzrJ4GGSxbuIxYL5n-wFgw&index=3

Here is one where I just held the GoPro in my hand in the UltraLite flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KhXdt686ZM&list=UUqzrJ4GGSxbuIxYL5n-wFgw

My advice is get the GoPro...you will love it

Jim

most of those are shot using the GoPro but some I used a small handheld pocket camera that I bought a couple years before the GoPro

Steve
December 31st 12, 09:50 PM
On Monday, December 31, 2012 12:11:25 PM UTC-6, KiloKilo wrote:
> I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.
>

> I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.
>

> I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr75O-Ys&feature=youtu.be
>

> KK

Hi KK,

I've been using a Contour HD camera for 3 years and have been very happy with the results. The usual comparisons are with GoPro and one of my main reasons for favoring the Contour is the size and shape. I use iMovie for editing and it's very easy. This month I purchased the new Contour +2. Better HD quality and the feature I've been waiting for: the ability to control the camera from my smart phone (iPhone 4) using Bluetooth. Really slick. I am looking forward to the season ahead to put both cameras to work.
Here are a couple of samples from my Vimeo site.

Steve
SV

https://vimeo.com/35264746
https://vimeo.com/29320454

Chris
January 1st 13, 12:11 AM
mike wrote:

> For the price I can not think of a better camera than a GoPro Hero 3. I
> have an older Hero HD and am still happy with it.

What I can add for the GoPro: we had a wing mounted GoPro, and the surface
of the wing was not smooth at the mount point. So during a winch launch it
droped from 400m (1300 ft). We found it laying in the grass near the winch
two days later, completely undamaged. So much for robustness...

January 1st 13, 12:45 AM
On Monday, December 31, 2012 12:11:25 PM UTC-6, KiloKilo wrote:
> I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.
>

> I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.
>

> I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr75O-Ys&feature=youtu.be
>

> KK

I have a GoPro Hero HD and love it. Simply start the camera rolling before takeoff and let it run. However, if you plan on turning the camera on and off during the flight then you probably want to get the new Hero2 or Hero3 with the remote capability. It can be a bit "fiddly" to start and stop the Hero HD. The Hero2 and 3 have remote control options either with a dedicated remote control or smartphone control that allow much easier camera control. Plus, you can check the video feed in real time to be sure the camera is mounted level, pointed the way you want it, etc.

And, of course, the quality of the video from the whole GoPro line is superb.

Robert

January 1st 13, 01:26 AM
Drift HD cameras hands down.
The new ones have remote with light indicators to remind you if your recording or not.
I have got several videos posted to youtube, just look up my name, Justin Rizor.

Next Season I will be adding a wing mounted camera, using a suction cup and a wing cuff made out of a medical plastic called "aqua plastic." You just heat the sheet of plastic to 160deg in water, then drape over the surface you want, it cures slowly and hard. I know about this product as my broken thumb has a splint made out of the stuff right now.
Any question feel free to contact me thru youtube.

The editing software is where my learning curves needs to begin.
Good luck

On Monday, December 31, 2012 11:11:25 AM UTC-7, KiloKilo wrote:
> I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.
>

> I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.
>

> I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr75O-Ys&feature=youtu.be
>

> KK

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
January 1st 13, 03:27 AM
On 12/31/2012 5:26 PM, wrote:
> Next Season I will be adding a wing mounted camera, using a suction
> cup and a wing cuff made out of a medical plastic called "aqua
> plastic."

Where do you get this? My search found some strange results that won't
be useful for wing mounted cameras.

email me)

KiloKilo[_2_]
January 1st 13, 11:12 AM
Thank you all for your responses and links ... lots of nice videos out there. I hope to add a few of my own.

HNY ... fly safe in 2013.

kk

Craig R.
January 1st 13, 05:21 PM
> Where do you get this? My search found some strange results that won't
>
> be useful for wing mounted cameras.
>
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

Eric, I believe it is called shape memory polymer. A Google search will bring up many options. Here is an interesting one.

http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/39639/1/05-0564.pdf

akiley
January 1st 13, 06:24 PM
I use a GoPro 2 with remote back. I would recommend the GoPro 3 with built in wifi back. Pro video shooters are very impressed with the quality. If you have an Android phone or an iPhone you can totally control the GoPro and see the image live, which is great for setup and pointing the camera. (6"*delay*tho) This includes starting and stopping the recording, switching from video to still or any setup items like changing the field of view, frames ler second etc. GoPro also has a wrist remote.

They come with waterproof housing which is great for wing mounting.

I use Sony Vegas Pro to edit on a PC, and iMovie to edit on an iPad. I made a suction cup mount from a Ram cup which is supposed to be canopy friendly. To the cup I mounted a tiny ball head for pointing the GoPro. I also use the GoPro cup for wing mounting. Tape down the cup for extra security with wing gap tape. Can't speak for other products. Good luck. ... Aaron

cfinn[_2_]
January 1st 13, 06:36 PM
The brand name is Aquaplast. Here's a link you could use:
http://www.wisdomking.com/aquaplast-splinting. You can get it in 18x24
sheets 1/16 or 1/8 inch thick.

Charlie

On Dec 31 2012, 10:27*pm, Eric Greenwell >
wrote:
> On 12/31/2012 5:26 PM, wrote:
>
> > Next Season I will be adding a wing mounted camera, using a suction
> > cup and a wing cuff made out of a medical plastic called "aqua
> > plastic."
>
> Where do you get this? My search found some strange results that won't
> be useful for wing mounted cameras.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
> email me)

January 1st 13, 10:06 PM
I will be ordering from them tomorrow, little hung over today..

http://www.wisdomking.com/aquaplast-splinting

I might take a video of the process and post it if I am successful.

Happy New Year to all

> On Dec 31 2012, 10:27*pm, Eric Greenwell >
>
> wrote:
>
> > On 12/31/2012 5:26 PM, wrote:
>

> > > Next Season I will be adding a wing mounted camera, using a suction
>
> > > cup and a wing cuff made out of a medical plastic called "aqua
>
> > > plastic."
>

> > Where do you get this? My search found some strange results that won't
>
> > be useful for wing mounted cameras.
>

> > --
>
> > Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
>
> > email me)

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
January 1st 13, 10:51 PM
On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 14:06:28 -0800, jmraa757 wrote:

> I will be ordering from them tomorrow, little hung over today..
>
> http://www.wisdomking.com/aquaplast-splinting
>
> I might take a video of the process and post it if I am successful.

I've done a little research and have discovered that the generic term for
all these products is 'splinting materials', which are roughly split into
two types of material:

1) "casting tape". This is a knitted synthetic fiberglass fabric
impregnated with a water-activated polyurethane resin. This is dipped in
room temperature water for about 10 secs, squeezed to remove the excess
water and smoothed into position using gloves. It sets in 3-5 mins and,
in the case of a splint is hard enough to be load-bearing in 20 mins.
The tape is 50-100mm wide and seems to come in 2m lengths. Load bearing
structures are typically 3-6 layers thick and load-bearing splints are
recommended to be 4 layers.

2) sheets of solid or perforated thermosetting plastic which are cut to
shape, heated to soften and then moulded around whatever they are meant
to fit. This material is quite a bit more expensive than casting tape.

Confusingly, 'Aquaplast' seems to be the thermoset material rather than
casting tape. Some brand names for casting tape are:

- 3M Scotchcast Plus Casting Tapes
- Alto Cast
- Ossur Techform

These are available from medical supply houses and on eBay.

OTOH, you may find its cheaper to pick up some glasscloth, epoxy resin
and a decent release film from your local model store and use these to
make the wing glove from these: you'll need the release film in either
case.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
January 2nd 13, 03:41 AM
On 1/1/2013 2:51 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> I've done a little research and have discovered that the generic term for
> all these products is 'splinting materials', which are roughly split into
> two types of material:
>
> 1) "casting tape". This is a knitted synthetic fiberglass fabric
> impregnated with a water-activated polyurethane resin. This is dipped in
> room temperature water for about 10 secs, squeezed to remove the excess
> water and smoothed into position using gloves. It sets in 3-5 mins and,
> in the case of a splint is hard enough to be load-bearing in 20 mins.
> The tape is 50-100mm wide and seems to come in 2m lengths. Load bearing
> structures are typically 3-6 layers thick and load-bearing splints are
> recommended to be 4 layers.
>
> 2) sheets of solid or perforated thermosetting plastic which are cut to
> shape, heated to soften and then moulded around whatever they are meant
> to fit. This material is quite a bit more expensive than casting tape.
>
> Confusingly, 'Aquaplast' seems to be the thermoset material rather than
> casting tape. Some brand names for casting tape are:
>
> - 3M Scotchcast Plus Casting Tapes
> - Alto Cast
> - Ossur Techform
>
> These are available from medical supply houses and on eBay.
>
> OTOH, you may find its cheaper to pick up some glasscloth, epoxy resin
> and a decent release film from your local model store and use these to
> make the wing glove from these: you'll need the release film in either
> case.

The Aquaplast looks great, but I'll stick with the cloth and epoxy, I think.

email me)nyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
January 2nd 13, 08:43 PM
On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 19:41:48 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

> On 1/1/2013 2:51 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> I've done a little research and have discovered that the generic term
>> for all these products is 'splinting materials', which are roughly
>> split into two types of material:
>>
>> 1) "casting tape". This is a knitted synthetic fiberglass fabric
>> impregnated with a water-activated polyurethane resin. This is dipped
>> in room temperature water for about 10 secs, squeezed to remove the
>> excess water and smoothed into position using gloves. It sets in 3-5
>> mins and, in the case of a splint is hard enough to be load-bearing in
>> 20 mins. The tape is 50-100mm wide and seems to come in 2m lengths.
>> Load bearing structures are typically 3-6 layers thick and load-bearing
>> splints are recommended to be 4 layers.
>>
>> 2) sheets of solid or perforated thermosetting plastic which are cut to
>> shape, heated to soften and then moulded around whatever they are meant
>> to fit. This material is quite a bit more expensive than casting tape.
>>
>> Confusingly, 'Aquaplast' seems to be the thermoset material rather than
>> casting tape. Some brand names for casting tape are:
>>
>> - 3M Scotchcast Plus Casting Tapes - Alto Cast - Ossur Techform
>>
>> These are available from medical supply houses and on eBay.
>>
>> OTOH, you may find its cheaper to pick up some glasscloth, epoxy resin
>> and a decent release film from your local model store and use these to
>> make the wing glove from these: you'll need the release film in either
>> case.
>
> The Aquaplast looks great, but I'll stick with the cloth and epoxy, I
> think.

That would be my choice too. Three reasons:
(1) I know how to work with glass/epoxy
(2) making a fairly wide glove, 250mm - 300mm, seems like a good idea
(3) the need for a good bond between the glove and the camera mount

(2) and (3) are probably be easier with glass cloth than with either type
of splint material.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Sean F (F2)
January 2nd 13, 10:41 PM
OK, I must comment. This discussion is missing some important points.

Form factor size, video image quality and mounting flexibility are the key factors.

In my experience (about 6 different video camera designs for sailing, gliding and other sports) the Replay XD 1080 is the best choice for sailplane or aircraft video. The main reason for this conclusion are the very tight spaces we must mount the camera within the tiny sailplane cockpits.

The ReplayXD's pedigree is for advanced racing cars (GoPro was not suitable), motorcycles, advanced motor-sports in general. It has far more mounting options and none of its mounts are cheap plastic like all of the GoPro stuff. Replay XD uses aircraft grade aluminum (weight, strength, quality) even in the mounts. The ReplayXD form factor is purpose designed to be as absolutely SMALL AS POSSIBLE! This is key in a tight sailplane cockpit or on the exterior of the aircraft from an aerodynamic prospective.

The GoPro product is, in my experience and opinion, FAR to wide and tall, especially once finally mounted. The GoPro has takes up a ton of valuable real estate for what it really is (a small video camera with no monitor). Why must it be so large? Answer, it came to market as a cheap Chinese product design roughly 8 years ago. The GoPro owner bought the product from this Chinese developer and has not changed the basic design because he invested heavily in case and mounting accessories designed for the original form factor! This is why the GoPro 3 maintained the same ridiculous miniaturized 35 mm camera shape which makes zero sense for most applications! They chose to maintain that shape in order to allow existing customers to use their existing accessories and to maintain the popular brand image with the GoPro3. GoPro is a company good marketing, but the produce itself is lacking in many ways even after the GoPro 3 upgrade. Skiers or people without small spaces to mount will probably be happy, but a glider pilot needs as much room as possible inside the cockpit and as small of a size as possible when mounted on the skin of the glider in flight!

The ReplayXD is an ultra high quality product, is made out of an aircraft grade aluminum housing and is under 1" in diameter (the size of a large dry erase marker. The electronics are designed to handle intense shock and impact. It does NOT distort the picture with a wide angle fisheye lens. The ReplayXD mounts in less than 1/3 of the area of the GoPro. No need for a waterproof case in your glider last I checked such as the GoPro requires to use its mounts. Ridiculous. The GoPro must be used with its clear housing which is stupid in every way unless you are a diver or kayaker (the Replay has a waterproof case as well if you need it but it is not used normally).

Also, the ReplayXD has massive extended battery accessories. Battery life is easily 6 hours (full flights) and is FAR HIGHER quality in the way the extended external battery's are designed.

GoPro is basically cheap amateur grade old technology with fancy marketing.

ReplayXD is professional grade, ultra high quality components and optics for the same price. With GoPro you are paying for a cheap Chinese product developed 10 years ago with some decent upgrades.

Do your homework before running off to WalMart and buying GoPro. Don't listen to all of the marketing hype of GoPro. You can make great video's on all the latest 1080 camera's There are MANY other choices out there. GoPro is sorta junk in my opinion.

Consider mounting the camera externally. From an aerodynamic prospective you might as well tape a brick on your wing vs. Replay XD which is the size of a large marker and has a tiny frontal area in comparison to the massive GoPro camera shape.

GoPro is simply an ancient product design. The latest refresh brings it up to par optically but overall it is still far off the pace.

ReplayXD Website: http://replayxd.com/cameras/replay-xd1080-camera/
Video I made with my Replay XD Camera: https://vimeo.com/52396659

Sean
F2/7T

PS...they best software for video editing is without question Final Cut Pro on OS. $299. Not even close in terms of ease of use and power. iMovie is probably better than most other software being discussed and that is free or under $20 in the App Store.

Mike C
January 3rd 13, 02:44 AM
On Monday, December 31, 2012 11:11:25 AM UTC-7, KiloKilo wrote:
> I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.
>

> I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.
>

> I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr75O-Ys&feature=youtu.be
>

> KK

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1752970&page=53

Check out the Quad n' Kite video. Much of it shot from an RC Quad.

January 3rd 13, 04:19 PM
On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:41:44 PM UTC-6, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> [...]
>

> Consider mounting the camera externally. From an aerodynamic prospective you might as well tape a brick on your wing vs. Replay XD which is the size of a large marker and has a tiny frontal area in comparison to the massive GoPro camera shape.
>

> GoPro is simply an ancient product design. The latest refresh brings it up to par optically but overall it is still far off the pace.
>

> ReplayXD Website: http://replayxd.com/cameras/replay-xd1080-camera/
>
> Video I made with my Replay XD Camera: https://vimeo.com/52396659
>

> Sean
>
> F2/7T
>

> PS...they best software for video editing is without question Final Cut Pro on OS. $299. Not even close in terms of ease of use and power. iMovie is probably better than most other software being discussed and that is free or under $20 in the App Store.

Sean,
Your all-or-nothing black-and-white approach is getting old regarding categories where a nuanced position is what most people prefer. Go-Pro is junk, your favorite camera is out of this world. Period. Anyone who is challenging your wisdom will have to deal with your wrath. Bet you can't keep quiet about my post here. You are surely entitled to your position but try and keep it civil, please.
Herb (a cheap, amateur grade, old technology guy who fell prey to slick marketing)

Sean F (F2)
January 3rd 13, 05:06 PM
Herb,

OK.

Sean

KiloKilo[_2_]
January 4th 13, 12:17 PM
Sean,

Very nice video ... and agree (after reviewing all the options mentioned in these posts) that the small sports oriented HD cams are the way to go for gliders ... there do see to be many good options with this small footprint .... appreciate your input - even if it is a little OTT ... :-) ... kk

Also, nice FLARM display in the video ...

January 4th 13, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Replay XD cam. After surfing to learn more, I found it interesting most reviewers have the same opinion as you and frequently describe the GP as "junk".

So a few questions. What P and FPS were used to film the R4N flight? Are you able to operate the Replay XDs by remote? Will the Replay XD 1080 operate 64 MB microSD cards?

Thanks.

Ben

Evan Ludeman[_4_]
January 4th 13, 02:35 PM
On Friday, January 4, 2013 8:20:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up on the Replay XD cam. After surfing to learn more, I found it interesting most reviewers have the same opinion as you and frequently describe the GP as "junk".
>

> So a few questions. What P and FPS were used to film the R4N flight? Are you able to operate the Replay XDs by remote? Will the Replay XD 1080 operate 64 MB microSD cards?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Ben

The replay is interesting... but given the number of beautiful, compelling videos and photos shot with GoPro cameras the "junk" comments say something about the "reviewers", yes?

In still photography we say: "Amateurs worry about equipment, pros worry about money, masters worry about light." I'm no master, but I'll prefer a great subject with great lighting to great equipment every time.

If the replay had a 170 degree fov mode, I'd be a lot more interested in it. That's what the GoPro cameras do best, distortion and all.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Bill D
January 4th 13, 03:42 PM
I have no idea how it would be done but better video of instrument panels would be welcome. Most videos, most of the time, have the panel in shadow so the instruments are not readable.

On Monday, December 31, 2012 11:11:25 AM UTC-7, KiloKilo wrote:
> I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.
>

> I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.
>

> I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr75O-Ys&feature=youtu.be
>

> KK

Sean F (F2)
January 5th 13, 01:47 AM
Thanks KK. Ben, 1080p and 30 fps. No remote but I have had the remote for my GoPro and NEVER use it in flight. Its just too much for me to do and sucks battery like there is no tomorrow. Yes the 64GB MicroSD works although I use 32GB and can record for something like 6 hours! No battery can last that long unless you have multiple extended packs which IS possible!

Sincerely,

Sean

On Friday, January 4, 2013 8:20:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up on the Replay XD cam. After surfing to learn more, I found it interesting most reviewers have the same opinion as you and frequently describe the GP as "junk".
>

> So a few questions. What P and FPS were used to film the R4N flight? Are you able to operate the Replay XDs by remote? Will the Replay XD 1080 operate 64 MB microSD cards?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Ben

Sean F (F2)
January 5th 13, 01:53 AM
Evan,

I agree there are some times that the 170 FOV GoPro is great. If you have the space there is nothing wrong with the GoPro. And there are other good choices besides the ReplayXD for sure! I have a GoPro2 and use it often especially on boats (water). My ASG29 tail camera video is done with a GoPro and suction cup mount. Amazing almost wingtip to wingtip!

Its all about having fun...I just want everyone to see what else is available!!!

At 960p the Replay can do 135 degrees, which is not that bad. 110 degrees at 1080. My video was shot at 110 which is why I kick the camera a little diagonally.

Specs for Replay 1080 here:

Optics F3.1±5% Wide Angle
110.5 Degrees @ 1080P
135 Degrees @ 960P, 720P
135 Degrees @ Photo
1.3V/lux-sec Light Sensitivity

On Friday, January 4, 2013 9:35:25 AM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:
> On Friday, January 4, 2013 8:20:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the heads up on the Replay XD cam. After surfing to learn more, I found it interesting most reviewers have the same opinion as you and frequently describe the GP as "junk".
>

> > So a few questions. What P and FPS were used to film the R4N flight? Are you able to operate the Replay XDs by remote? Will the Replay XD 1080 operate 64 MB microSD cards?
>

> > Thanks.
>

> > Ben
>

> The replay is interesting... but given the number of beautiful, compelling videos and photos shot with GoPro cameras the "junk" comments say something about the "reviewers", yes?
>

> In still photography we say: "Amateurs worry about equipment, pros worry about money, masters worry about light." I'm no master, but I'll prefer a great subject with great lighting to great equipment every time.
>

> If the replay had a 170 degree fov mode, I'd be a lot more interested in it. That's what the GoPro cameras do best, distortion and all.
>

> -Evan Ludeman / T8

akiley
January 5th 13, 03:05 AM
On Friday, January 4, 2013 10:42:15 AM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
> I have no idea how it would be done but better video of instrument panels would be welcome. Most videos, most of the time, have the panel in shadow so the instruments are not readable.
>

> On Monday, December 31, 2012 11:11:25 AM UTC-7, KiloKilo wrote:
>
> > I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.
>

> > I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director .... great app... much better then then older software I had before.
>

> > I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.
>

> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr75O-Ys&feature=youtu.be
>

> > KK

The problem with panels is that they tend to be much darker than the surrounding scene. I've battled with this and find that shooting overcast or low light helps a lot as it reduces the brightness range so everything is more likely to fit into the (every) cameras limited capture range. Also with direct sun, if the sun is lighting the panel directly the shot looks good. When I edit, I often cut the scenes with backlight panel. I've also experimented in the past with graduated filters that darken the top of the image only, but it's difficult to do well. Also made a mask to brighten the panel in my video editor which works but is time consuming. A video camera that could shoot HDR would be the trick. Or video HDR in editing. It will come to the masses eventually.

I think my GoPro2 has really excellent image quality. It's too bad it doesn't have a tripod thread in the bottom like most cameras do. I do not use the GoPro housing for cockpit shots. You can see my suction cup mount in this video. The mount works well because it also holds my bluetooth GPS for XCSoar. The mount is an open box I made out of aluminum with velcro for friction. I can pull the GoPro out quickly in flight and point it out the window for a shot, then quickly slide it back in place in the mount. (I rent gliders only so no permanent mounts)

One nice thing about the wide lens on the GoPro is that when you hold it out the window and point it back at the glider, it looks like it's 6 feet away from the glider and you get a very dramatic shot. (when in reality, it's only arms length) The original GoPro had a horrible menu system. The 2 is not too bad.

This video below was shot with GoPro2. Notice the cockpit cup mount with ball head and BT GPS that you can see when I hold the GoPro out the window and point it back at the glider. BTW: When viewing in youtube, if you don't hit the little gear icon and set the resolution to 1080, it won't look sharp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHSXNqOc1Nw&list=UUiAqS5M87assCENqV2vyryg

Below are some still images. All the shots in the air were shot as stills with the GoPro2 in still shot mode. Pretty impressive quality I think.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05jfyu7rgfaxec9/kVjWE6L2VG

.... Aaron

KiloKilo[_2_]
January 5th 13, 02:32 PM
Very nice video ... what app did you use to capture the google earth sequence ... kk

akiley
January 5th 13, 02:41 PM
I have a Canon DSLR (5D) that I used to just shot my computer monitor. (I was in a hurry) There are screen video capture apps that would have been much better. ... Aaron

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
January 5th 13, 04:46 PM
On 1/4/2013 7:05 PM, akiley wrote:

> I think my GoPro2 has really excellent image quality. It's too bad
> it doesn't have a tripod thread in the bottom like most cameras do.
> I do not use the GoPro housing for cockpit shots. You can see my
> suction cup mount in this video. The mount works well because it
> also holds my bluetooth GPS for XCSoar. The mount is an open box I
> made out of aluminum with velcro for friction. I can pull the GoPro
> out quickly in flight and point it out the window for a shot, then
> quickly slide it back in place in the mount. (I rent gliders only so
> no permanent mounts)
>
> One nice thing about the wide lens on the GoPro is that when you hold
> it out the window and point it back at the glider, it looks like it's
> 6 feet away from the glider and you get a very dramatic shot. (when
> in reality, it's only arms length) The original GoPro had a horrible
> menu system. The 2 is not too bad.
>
> This video below was shot with GoPro2. Notice the cockpit cup mount
> with ball head and BT GPS that you can see when I hold the GoPro out
> the window and point it back at the glider. BTW: When viewing in
> youtube, if you don't hit the little gear icon and set the resolution
> to 1080, it won't look sharp.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHSXNqOc1Nw&list=UUiAqS5M87assCENqV2vyryg
>
> Below are some still images. All the shots in the air were shot as
> stills with the GoPro2 in still shot mode. Pretty impressive quality
> I think.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05jfyu7rgfaxec9/kVjWE6L2VG

Your GoPro video seems noticeably sharper than Sean's Replay video, and
I definitely prefer the wider angle of the GoPro. That's a bit
disappointing to me, as the Replay shape and size seems better.

email me)

Bill D
January 5th 13, 05:13 PM
On Friday, January 4, 2013 8:05:35 PM UTC-7, akiley wrote:
> On Friday, January 4, 2013 10:42:15 AM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
>
> > I have no idea how it would be done but better video of instrument panels would be welcome. Most videos, most of the time, have the panel in shadow so the instruments are not readable.
>

> The problem with panels is that they tend to be much darker than the surrounding scene. I've battled with this and find that shooting overcast or low light helps a lot as it reduces the brightness range so everything is more likely to fit into the (every) cameras limited capture range. Also with direct sun, if the sun is lighting the panel directly the shot looks good. When I edit, I often cut the scenes with backlight panel. I've also experimented in the past with graduated filters that darken the top of the image only, but it's difficult to do well. Also made a mask to brighten the panel in my video editor which works but is time consuming. A video camera that could shoot HDR would be the trick. Or video HDR in editing. It will come to the masses eventually.

Long ago I had reason to learn some motion picture matte-box tricks which might be adapted to this problem. If you positioned a neutral density gel in front of the camera lens with a cutout in the shape of the panel, brighter light from outside the cockpit would pass through the filter but the dim reflected light from the panel would not thus allowing the correct exposure for each. Gel filters are just thin plastic sheets of high optical quality available in a wide range of colors and neutral density "stops". Of course, matte-box tricks requires the camera to be securely mounted.

akiley
January 5th 13, 05:33 PM
I haven't used the Replay, but I think it would be very difficult to look at two different videos, shot in different lighting and uploaded to youtube no less.... And be able to determine the sharpness differences. I'm a pro still photographer, and I would guess the Replay is probably as sharp. These little cameras interpret the raw data. It could be as simple as the Replay doesn't sharpen the image as much (digitally) in camera, so that the last bit of sharpening can be done in editing which gives the photographer more control. It's said that lighting can have a profound effect on perceived sharpness. I would look for side by side test results before making a discision.

My feeling about the wide lens is this. When you are watching a full HD video that is not panning right and left, up and down, the wide view lets the viewer look around, giving less tunnel vision. The down side is you can get some shots that look pretty goofy. In that case you can crop to 720p in your editor and it's less wide. Just my 2. ... Aaron

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
January 5th 13, 07:32 PM
On 1/5/2013 9:13 AM, Bill D wrote:
> On Friday, January 4, 2013 8:05:35 PM UTC-7, akiley wrote:
>> On Friday, January 4, 2013 10:42:15 AM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
>>
>>> I have no idea how it would be done but better video of
>>> instrument panels would be welcome. Most videos, most of the
>>> time, have the panel in shadow so the instruments are not
>>> readable.
>>

>> The problem with panels is that they tend to be much darker than
>> the surrounding scene. I've battled with this and find that
>> shooting overcast or low light helps a lot as it reduces the
>> brightness range so everything is more likely to fit into the
>> (every) cameras limited capture range. Also with direct sun, if
>> the sun is lighting the panel directly the shot looks good. When I
>> edit, I often cut the scenes with backlight panel. I've also
>> experimented in the past with graduated filters that darken the top
>> of the image only, but it's difficult to do well. Also made a mask
>> to brighten the panel in my video editor which works but is time
>> consuming. A video camera that could shoot HDR would be the trick.
>> Or video HDR in editing. It will come to the masses eventually.
>
> Long ago I had reason to learn some motion picture matte-box tricks
> which might be adapted to this problem. If you positioned a neutral
> density gel in front of the camera lens with a cutout in the shape of
> the panel, brighter light from outside the cockpit would pass through
> the filter but the dim reflected light from the panel would not thus
> allowing the correct exposure for each. Gel filters are just thin
> plastic sheets of high optical quality available in a wide range of
> colors and neutral density "stops". Of course, matte-box tricks
> requires the camera to be securely mounted.

Maybe a strip of LEDs could be placed on the overhang of the glare
shield, so the panel is always illuminated. Note that they are 12 volts,
and use can use as many as you need in groups of three:

http://tinyurl.com/aatdzkf

A clever person would use photo sensor aimed at the panel to turn off
the LEDs when they weren't needed.

email me)

akiley
January 5th 13, 07:38 PM
>Long ago I had reason to learn some motion picture matte-box tricks which might be adapted to this problem. If you positioned a neutral density gel in front of the >camera lens with a cutout in the shape of the panel, brighter light from outside the cockpit would pass through the filter but the dim reflected light from the panel >would not thus allowing the correct exposure for each. Gel filters are just thin plastic sheets of high optical quality available in a wide range of colors and neutral >density "stops". Of course, matte-box tricks requires the camera to be securely mounted.

Hi Bill, I've done a lot of this over the years with large format still (film) cameras up to 8x10 view cameras. The problem is these little video cameras have tons of inherent depth of focus such that you would see the edges of the ND gel pretty sharp even with the gel almost on the lens. This techniques depends on the gel being out of focus so that it blends in. It would also be difficult to get everything lined up with out a monitor. To solve this, there are a myriad of graduated filters on the market like Cokin, Tiffin etc. (ND on the top blending to clear on the bottom). It would not wrap around the panel like cutting a gel, but would make a more general effect that might work. Here is a plus for the Replay. Replay offers an adapter that facilitates the use of a filter. Might take some custom work to make a small graduated filter thought.

Good thoughts though. I have tons of old ND gels hanging around. I'm going to experiment a little. I might be able to mount a hinged graduated filter over the front of my GoPro mount.

A photographers job is always battling with real world light which can be 20 stops of range, and figuring out how to capture into the cameras 10 stop range. There are lots of solutions. Reflectors, HDR, supplemental lights to fill shadows, polarizing filters, graduated filters, waiting for different daylight, shooting overcast days, changing angle to the sun. Probably forgot a few. ... Aaron

AGL
January 5th 13, 07:54 PM
On Monday, 31 December 2012 13:11:25 UTC-5, KiloKilo wrote:
> I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ...

The Contour claims overlays for speed, elevation, and distance, as well as recording of GPS coordinates: http://store.contour.com/invt/1700

Here's a shot with motorcycles. I can't find that aircraft again. http://contour.com/videos/watch/slovakiaring-1--2

It must be done with software later.

It would be nice to give people files of intro flights.

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
January 5th 13, 09:43 PM
On 1/5/2013 11:38 AM, akiley wrote:
> There are lots of solutions. Reflectors, HDR, supplemental lights to
> fill shadows, polarizing filters, graduated filters, waiting for
> different daylight, shooting overcast days, changing angle to the
> sun. Probably forgot a few. ... Aaron

A modified glare shield that doesn't keep the sun off the instruments.
Works for the camera - pilot, maybe not so much.
email me)

Sean F (F2)
January 6th 13, 12:08 AM
Here is another video I have been working on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMaTY1JtKEo

Going to post the full flight...

Part 2 is uploading now...

Sean

On Saturday, January 5, 2013 4:43:29 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> On 1/5/2013 11:38 AM, akiley wrote:
>
> > There are lots of solutions. Reflectors, HDR, supplemental lights to
>
> > fill shadows, polarizing filters, graduated filters, waiting for
>
> > different daylight, shooting overcast days, changing angle to the
>
> > sun. Probably forgot a few. ... Aaron
>

> A modified glare shield that doesn't keep the sun off the instruments.
>
> Works for the camera - pilot, maybe not so much.
>
> --
>
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
>
> email me)

son_of_flubber
January 6th 13, 12:35 AM
Does anyone have an example of a soaring video taken with a polarizing lens on the camera?

It's interesting how we never see most of those canopy reflections with our eyes. The reflections are there, but our brains filter them out and patch in something from the surrounding texture. I'd guess that something could hide behind a reflection and we would never know it.

January 6th 13, 01:31 AM
On Friday, January 4, 2013 10:42:15 AM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
> I have no idea how it would be done but better video of instrument panels would be welcome. Most videos, most of the time, have the panel in shadow so the instruments are not readable.

Is this what you are looking for?
http://youtu.be/bGyVyBCw_no

Shot with a GoPro 2 this past summer in Parowan.
It was early evening so with the sun low and shining right in on the panel it comes out nice.

Randy

akiley
January 6th 13, 02:15 AM
On Saturday, January 5, 2013 7:35:30 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
> Does anyone have an example of a soaring video taken with a polarizing lens on the camera?
>

> It's interesting how we never see most of those canopy reflections with our eyes. The reflections are there, but our brains filter them out and patch in something from the surrounding texture. I'd guess that something could hide behind a reflection and we would never know it.

The problem with a pola filter in a glider are two. First, the pola only works at specific angles, so you might loose a reflection in a fairly small area of the canopy only. On a big flat surface like a glass skyscraper at just the right angle it makes a very profound effect. Not so inside a glider rounded canopy. Second, the plexiglass canopy causes a rainbow effect with a pola filter that is not pleasant. Best way to reduce reflections is to wear a black shirt, hat, and pants if you can handle the fashion statement. :-) ... Aaron

January 6th 13, 02:16 AM
On Saturday, January 5, 2013 8:31:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Friday, January 4, 2013 10:42:15 AM UTC-5, Bill D wrote: > I have no idea how it would be done but better video of instrument panels would be welcome. Most videos, most of the time, have the panel in shadow so the instruments are not readable. Is this what you are looking for? http://youtu.be/bGyVyBCw_no Shot with a GoPro 2 this past summer in Parowan. It was early evening so with the sun low and shining right in on the panel it comes out nice. Randy

I used two Contour cameras in Parowan looking over my shoulder and out over the wing (works well in a Libelle). Footage is way too long for YouTube. I am surprised that the Contour cameras are hardly mentioned since they are very sleek and far more aerodynamic than a GoPro when facing forward outside of the cockpit.
'GM'

Dan Marotta
January 6th 13, 05:04 PM
Ya know, it's absolutely wonderful living in the New Mexico mountains only
25 miles from Moriarty.

On the down side is that "high speed" internet means 1 mbps max so I'm lucky
to watch a video at 240p. I've had your video up for about 20 minutes now
and have buffered about 15 seconds of it. They say patience is a virtue...

"Sean F (F2)" > wrote in message
> Here is another video I have been working on...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMaTY1JtKEo
>
> Going to post the full flight...
>
> Part 2 is uploading now...
>
> Sean
>
> On Saturday, January 5, 2013 4:43:29 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>> On 1/5/2013 11:38 AM, akiley wrote:
>>
>> > There are lots of solutions. Reflectors, HDR, supplemental lights to
>>
>> > fill shadows, polarizing filters, graduated filters, waiting for
>>
>> > different daylight, shooting overcast days, changing angle to the
>>
>> > sun. Probably forgot a few. ... Aaron
>>

>> A modified glare shield that doesn't keep the sun off the instruments.
>>
>> Works for the camera - pilot, maybe not so much.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
>>
>> email me)

Dan Marotta
January 6th 13, 05:09 PM
Hey, Sean,

Get rid of that nasty old string that you use to pull down your canopy and
just reach up with your toe and grab one the canopy lock levers. Clean up
that cockpit a bit...

"Sean F (F2)" > wrote in message
> Here is another video I have been working on...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMaTY1JtKEo
>
> Going to post the full flight...
>
> Part 2 is uploading now...
>
> Sean
>
> On Saturday, January 5, 2013 4:43:29 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>> On 1/5/2013 11:38 AM, akiley wrote:
>>
>> > There are lots of solutions. Reflectors, HDR, supplemental lights to
>>
>> > fill shadows, polarizing filters, graduated filters, waiting for
>>
>> > different daylight, shooting overcast days, changing angle to the
>>
>> > sun. Probably forgot a few. ... Aaron
>>

>> A modified glare shield that doesn't keep the sun off the instruments.
>>
>> Works for the camera - pilot, maybe not so much.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
>>
>> email me)

Mike C
January 6th 13, 05:50 PM
On Saturday, January 5, 2013 6:31:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Friday, January 4, 2013 10:42:15 AM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
>
> > I have no idea how it would be done but better video of instrument panels would be welcome. Most videos, most of the time, have the panel in shadow so the instruments are not readable.
>

> Is this what you are looking for?
>
> http://youtu.be/bGyVyBCw_no
>

> Shot with a GoPro 2 this past summer in Parowan.
>
> It was early evening so with the sun low and shining right in on the panel it comes out nice.
>

> Randy

GoPro2 video quality is excellent. Others are ok in comparison.

Werner Schmidt
January 6th 13, 05:56 PM
Hello Dan,

> On the down side is that "high speed" internet means 1 mbps max so I'm lucky
> to watch a video at 240p. I've had your video up for about 20 minutes now
> and have buffered about 15 seconds of it. They say patience is a virtue...

download and watch them from hard disk ...

regards
Werner

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
January 6th 13, 08:09 PM
On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 18:16:11 -0800, ulineumann wrote:

> I used two Contour cameras in Parowan looking over my shoulder and out
> over the wing (works well in a Libelle).

How do you mount a forward-looking Contour (or other bulletcam) in a
Libelle?

I've been scratching my head over this for a while because it appears
that there's no part of the fuselage behind me that's higher than the top
of the front canopy rim and suitable for mounting the camera inside the
fuslage. Are you attaching it to the canopy?

I clip a semi-circular Glasfaser bag to the spars: with the usual clobber
inside it there's very little clearance between canopy and to bag and, of
course, it stops a camera being mounted on the rear bulkhead.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Dan Marotta
January 7th 13, 12:01 AM
Of course, thanks, Werner!

"Werner Schmidt" > wrote in message
> Hello Dan,
>
>> On the down side is that "high speed" internet means 1 mbps max so I'm
>> lucky
>> to watch a video at 240p. I've had your video up for about 20 minutes
>> now
>> and have buffered about 15 seconds of it. They say patience is a
>> virtue...
>
> download and watch them from hard disk ...
>
> regards
> Werner

January 7th 13, 12:40 AM
On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:41:44 PM UTC-8, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> OK, I must comment. This discussion is missing some important points.
>
> In my experience (about 6 different video camera designs for sailing, gliding and other sports) the Replay XD 1080 is the best choice for sailplane or aircraft video. The main reason for this conclusion are the very tight spaces we must mount the camera within the tiny sailplane cockpits.

Hey Sean,

This looks pretty cool for tight spaces and it's a nice design. The thing I like about the GoPro is the ability to use my iPhone as a remote - complete with preview window. This is especially useful when setting up shots so you know how to frame them and is essential if you want to externally mount the camera such that you can turn it on/off. As I contemplate motorized external mounts for panning shots from the nose, tail or wingtip I really need both remote on/off so I don't have to sort through 5 hours of video after the flight and the WIFi preview so I can remotely set the shot up.

I couldn't see this on the website link you provided, but that doesn't mean it isn't available on the Replay. The six hour battery pack is a big advantage, though I was able to solve this for the GoPro with a 5200mAH USB battery pack that i can strap to the back of the GoPro case so it is secure even when externally mounted.

I may have to add the Replay to my stable of video cameras.

9B

Sean F (F2)
January 7th 13, 02:00 AM
On Sunday, January 6, 2013 7:40:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:41:44 PM UTC-8, Sean F (F2) wrote:
>
> > OK, I must comment. This discussion is missing some important points.
>

> > In my experience (about 6 different video camera designs for sailing, gliding and other sports) the Replay XD 1080 is the best choice for sailplane or aircraft video. The main reason for this conclusion are the very tight spaces we must mount the camera within the tiny sailplane cockpits.
>

> Hey Sean,
>

> This looks pretty cool for tight spaces and it's a nice design. The thing I like about the GoPro is the ability to use my iPhone as a remote - complete with preview window. This is especially useful when setting up shots so you know how to frame them and is essential if you want to externally mount the camera such that you can turn it on/off. As I contemplate motorized external mounts for panning shots from the nose, tail or wingtip I really need both remote on/off so I don't have to sort through 5 hours of video after the flight and the WIFi preview so I can remotely set the shot up.
>

> I couldn't see this on the website link you provided, but that doesn't mean it isn't available on the Replay. The six hour battery pack is a big advantage, though I was able to solve this for the GoPro with a 5200mAH USB battery pack that i can strap to the back of the GoPro case so it is secure even when externally mounted.
>

> I may have to add the Replay to my stable of video cameras.
>

> 9B

Cool! I have a bunch of them (GoPro, Replay, Contour, JVC, DriftGhost, sony action) and recently was sent the the new IONair. For the glider the Replay is great. And as with all things the quality of the 1080 is constantly leapfrogging. While size is important, its not the only thing. Just as the best video clarity is not the most important thing if the camera is too large to use in tight spaces.

For me, it comes down to what camera is easiest to "capture the most video" in the easiest manner. Then you have more to edit from.

I am in the process of posting an entire flight from the R4N in October. Part 1 & 2 is up on YouTube. Part 3 uploading now. Part 4-8 in the next few days. Good examples of the flexibility of having two camera angles available to edit from. Check them out on Youtube under Sean Fidler.

Best,

Sean

January 9th 13, 06:47 AM
On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 5:11:25 AM UTC+11, KiloKilo wrote:
> I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.
>

> I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.
>

> I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr75O-Ys&feature=youtu.be
>

> KK

The battery life according to the manual is 122 minutes, or just over 2 hours.

Sean F (F2)
January 9th 13, 03:50 PM
Great video of Frank! Well done!

Sean

Discus 44
January 9th 13, 07:37 PM
On Saturday, January 5, 2013 4:35:30 PM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
> Does anyone have an example of a soaring video taken with a polarizing lens on the camera?
>

> It's interesting how we never see most of those canopy reflections with our eyes. The reflections are there, but our brains filter them out and patch in something from the surrounding texture. I'd guess that something could hide behind a reflection and we would never know it.

I have the Contour GPS camera fitted with a circular polarizer filter that has an effect on the glare from the interior of the canopy. Although reduced brightness and glare, you can still see the reflections inside. I believe it helps with contrast of the exterior view. I have not done much with this camera yet as the mounting in my Discus has not been totally figured out. I will do more recording this season.

January 9th 13, 10:10 PM
On Saturday, January 5, 2013 11:33:25 AM UTC-6, akiley wrote:
> I haven't used the Replay, but I think it would be very difficult to look at two different videos, shot in different lighting and uploaded to youtube no less.... And be able to determine the sharpness differences. I'm a pro still photographer, and I would guess the Replay is probably as sharp. These little cameras interpret the raw data. It could be as simple as the Replay doesn't sharpen the image as much (digitally) in camera, so that the last bit of sharpening can be done in editing which gives the photographer more control. It's said that lighting can have a profound effect on perceived sharpness. I would look for side by side test results before making a discision.

Side by side video, GoPro vs Replay at 1080 30fps. I think the image quality of the GoPro is better, but the Replay has less distortion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGxYJuSCKJc

> My feeling about the wide lens is this. When you are watching a full HD video that is not panning right and left, up and down, the wide view lets the viewer look around, giving less tunnel vision. The down side is you can get some shots that look pretty goofy. In that case you can crop to 720p in your editor and it's less wide. Just my 2. ... Aaron

Sean F (F2)
January 9th 13, 10:46 PM
I actually think the Replay is better in this video...but keep in mind this is the GoPro 2. The GoPro 3 is definitely better than the GoPro 2.

I am aware of this, but still think the size advantages of the Replay outweigh the image quality differences. Also the replay's 6+ hour extended battery pack solution is FAR superior to GoPro and KEY to capturing long flights and not missing the key moments.

I am halfway to posting a complete video of a task in this Falls 2012 R4N in Fairfield PA on Youtube for the fun of it. The entire flying day was captured on both camera's and each camera still had 2-3 hours of battery life remaining. The best a GoPro has ever done for me even with an extended pack is 2.2 hours.

This is all just my opinion of course...I don't really think there are wrong answers here...its all about having fun and sharing our experiences with friends. Enjoy!

Video links here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMaTY1JtKEo

son_of_flubber
January 9th 13, 11:01 PM
On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:10:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> Side by side video, GoPro vs Replay at 1080 30fps. I think the image quality of the GoPro is better

I don't have a horse in this race. When I look at this video, I see that the GoPro has higher contrast than the Replay. Look at the color of the SUV on the curb. It's black for the GoPro and blue-grey for the Replay. Higher contrast will make the same data look sharper. Someone said earlier that contrast could be increased with post-processing (editing). I'm pretty sure that a skillful editor could make the side by side comparison look identical to the neckid eye.

My guess is that it's easier to add contrast than it is to remove contrast in post-processing (editing), so maybe the editor has more latitude if she is working from the Replay source.

I'd think that the view angle and form factor would be my deciding factor if I were in the market for a camera.

Mike C
January 10th 13, 07:21 AM
Nice videos Sean! That was fun.

Mike

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:01:18 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:10:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>

> > Side by side video, GoPro vs Replay at 1080 30fps. I think the image quality of the GoPro is better
>

> I don't have a horse in this race. When I look at this video, I see that the GoPro has higher contrast than the Replay. Look at the color of the SUV on the curb. It's black for the GoPro and blue-grey for the Replay. Higher contrast will make the same data look sharper. Someone said earlier that contrast could be increased with post-processing (editing). I'm pretty sure that a skillful editor could make the side by side comparison look identical to the neckid eye.
>

> My guess is that it's easier to add contrast than it is to remove contrast in post-processing (editing), so maybe the editor has more latitude if she is working from the Replay source.
>

> I'd think that the view angle and form factor would be my deciding factor if I were in the market for a camera.

Terry Pitts
January 14th 13, 11:44 AM
I have a couple year old ContourHD that I like. It's not without weaknesses, though. I like the fact that it faces in the "streamlined" direction like most of the GoPro's other competitors, but I doubt we go fast enough the the drag is much different.

I use iMovie for my video work.

I've mounted the camera on the top of the tail with just a heavy duty suction cup with great success. I felt comfortable doing so on a non aerobatic flight after it did well on the canopy at 5G's. I also stuck the camera out about four feet from the fuselage on the left wing of an LS-4. I felt a rumble on the tail the whole flight. It was interesting to note that the camera disturbed the airflow enough to feel.

I went to the "local" Army hospital this morning for new shoe inserts and an eye exam. While in the brace shop I remembered the comments above about thermo forming plastic and went to mooch some. I have two pieces to play with. I asked about the correct temperature to use and was told 350-400, so I asked, "in the oven?" The answer, "No just heat the water in a skillet." Uh, I think I'm unlikely to get more than maybe 212...

What would y'all think of mounting a forward-looking camera on the nose for some video?

See videos at http://m.youtube.com/user/ltcterry2006?feature=guide

To avoid thread drift: The LS-4 video shows the camera mount as a shadow. Any video feedback would be nice.

Terry

Jim[_30_]
January 14th 13, 12:59 PM
On Monday, January 14, 2013 6:44:23 AM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:
> I have a couple year old ContourHD that I like. It's not without weaknesses, though. I like the fact that it faces in the "streamlined" direction like most of the GoPro's other competitors, but I doubt we go fast enough the the drag is much different.
>

> I use iMovie for my video work.
>

> I've mounted the camera on the top of the tail with just a heavy duty suction cup with great success. I felt comfortable doing so on a non aerobatic flight after it did well on the canopy at 5G's. I also stuck the camera out about four feet from the fuselage on the left wing of an LS-4. I felt a rumble on the tail the whole flight. It was interesting to note that the camera disturbed the airflow enough to feel.
>

> I went to the "local" Army hospital this morning for new shoe inserts and an eye exam. While in the brace shop I remembered the comments above about thermo forming plastic and went to mooch some. I have two pieces to play with. I asked about the correct temperature to use and was told 350-400, so I asked, "in the oven?" The answer, "No just heat the water in a skillet." Uh, I think I'm unlikely to get more than maybe 212...
>

> What would y'all think of mounting a forward-looking camera on the nose for some video?
>

> See videos at http://m.youtube.com/user/ltcterry2006?feature=guide
>

> To avoid thread drift: The LS-4 video shows the camera mount as a shadow. Any video feedback would be nice.
>

> Terry

Hi Terry,

Two days ago I had my GoPro mounted about 3 feet from the fuse on the DG800 and immediately off tow I felt a strange sensation in the elevator...very subtle but it was there for the entire flight. Left me a little spooked so glad to know what it was. Last year I did a flight with the GoPro farther out on the wing perhaps 6 feet or more and there was no noticeable disturbance in the airflow.

As for suction cups I use the standard cup from GoPro which works well but I always put a little strip of duct tape over the front for a little insurance. One other pilot on these posts said he uses a little wing tape.

Interesting to watch the horizon and AS indicator in a winch launch...it does go fast!

Jim-77

January 14th 13, 01:10 PM
I mounted a gopro to my wing several feet from the fuse and also experienced a "shuddering/buffeting" sensation from the tail. Very noticeable. When mounted further out there doesn't seem to be any negative effects.

February 13th 14, 08:32 AM
Have you seen the stuff made by flight Flix cameras? Great flight videos too.

Www.flightflixcameras.com

Jim - 77
February 13th 14, 12:29 PM
On Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:32:55 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Have you seen the stuff made by flight Flix cameras? Great flight videos too.
>

> Www.flightflixcameras.com

Wow!With the entry price at $1999.99 I would hope they are good.....seems like at that price their market would be very narrow.

I still love my old GoPro....have had it for several years and done a lot of in flight video...quality is great, camera is small etc

Jim

February 13th 14, 07:35 PM
What is the best camera for editing on a MAC iMovie, I always have a problem that some cameras are not compatible and requires you to convert.

On Monday, December 31, 2012 10:11:25 AM UTC-8, KiloKilo wrote:
> I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.
>

> I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.
>

> I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr75O-Ys&feature=youtu.be
>

> KK

Sean F (F2)
February 13th 14, 08:22 PM
Replay XD, GoPro and Sony all work fine on my Mac in both iMovie and Final Cut Pro

Soartech
February 14th 14, 06:22 PM
On Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:35:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> What is the best camera for editing on a MAC iMovie, I always have a problem that some cameras are not compatible and requires you to convert.

All of the GoPro type action video cameras output an MP4 file type. The Mac software works easily with these files.

February 15th 14, 06:52 PM
Anybody used the Garmin Vibe yet?

Sean F (F2)
February 15th 14, 07:20 PM
Garmin Vide looks great, automatically can overlay split screen nav mapping, etc. the camera itself is quite large and not as many accessories choices.

Google