PDA

View Full Version : Where CAN you land your plane??

ET
February 11th 04, 05:27 PM
The guy complaining about the next door airport got me thinking more about
a question that's been rolling around in my head for some time.

I'm not a pilot (yet), don't own a plane, or even any significant land, but
I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere "could" I just
land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it have to be a
registered airport? Would it matter if it was an Ultralight, or an "N"
registered plane??

What are the rules (federal) that govern this? or is it a state by state
thing (I'm in Texas if it really matters).

I know I here of planes in Alaska that land on a local road, pull up to the
rural gas station to fill up, and take off again (or is that an Urban
Legend?)

--
ET >:)
(Future student pilot and future Sonex builder)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Ron Natalie
February 11th 04, 05:43 PM
"ET" > wrote in message ...

> I'm not a pilot (yet), don't own a plane, or even any significant land, but
> I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere "could" I just
> land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it have to be a
> registered airport? Would it matter if it was an Ultralight, or an "N"
> registered plane??

The FAA really doesn't have any rules about where you can land as long
as it doesn't violate the general prohibitions on careless/reckless operation.
A few years back the FAA tried to pervert the rule requiring 90 day notice
of intent to construct an airport to mean that any landing site required such
notice, but the helicopter factions quickly quashed that.

You will find that your local laws may very well forbid such use however.

Newps
February 11th 04, 05:58 PM
ET wrote:

> I'm not a pilot (yet), don't own a plane, or even any significant land, but
> I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere "could" I just
> land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it have to be a
> registered airport?

You can land on any private land you have permission for. You can land
on any designated Forest Service airport. You cannot land elsewhere on
Forest Service land. You may land anywhere on BLM land. You can never
land in a National Park. You cannot land on Federal highways or
Freeways. You might be able to land on state or local roads. If you
can there are varying regs. Here in Montana I can land on any non
Federal road as long as I look both ways. Check your state regs for
state land.

Would it matter if it was an Ultralight, or an "N"
> registered plane??

No.

> I know I here of planes in Alaska that land on a local road, pull up to the
> rural gas station to fill up, and take off again (or is that an Urban
> Legend?)

That's common. An airport near here has a self serve carwash outside
the airport fence. Open the gate and taxi over to wash your plane.

Gary
February 11th 04, 06:16 PM
> The guy complaining about the next door airport got me thinking more about
> a question that's been rolling around in my head for some time.
>
> I'm not a pilot (yet), don't own a plane, or even any significant land,
but
> I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere "could" I just
> land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it have to be a
> registered airport? Would it matter if it was an Ultralight, or an "N"
> registered plane??
>
> What are the rules (federal) that govern this? or is it a state by state
> thing (I'm in Texas if it really matters).
>
> I know I here of planes in Alaska that land on a local road, pull up to
the
> rural gas station to fill up, and take off again (or is that an Urban
> Legend?)

In Texas, you supposedly need Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept permission to land
a seaplane on a lake. At a couple of remote airports, I've taxied off
airport property down to a nearby gas station for fuel, having no idea if it
was legal.

C J Campbell
February 11th 04, 07:28 PM
There was a guy down in Borrego Springs that used to always land his plane
on the road and taxi to his driveway. He lived out in the middle of nowhere
(which kind of defines Borrego Springs, anyway), but one day a local sheriff
decided to cite him for illegal operation of a vehicle on the public road --
no license plate, no tail lights, etc. So now he parks his plane at Thermal
and drives to his house.

EDR
February 11th 04, 08:19 PM
It varies by state and local governing bodies.

Registered aircraft may have different rules from ultralights.
Where local zoning may ban registered aircraft, it may allow
ultralights.

Some states will allow you to land and take off from interstate
highways, others may require the aircraft to be disassembled and
trucked out.
In Alaska, as you drive down a two lane road, you may see signs that
state "AIRCRAFT HAVE RIGHT OF WAY ON ROAD".

On private land, the owners permission is, as a general rule, required.

The rules are all over the place.

CFLav8r
February 11th 04, 08:57 PM
> I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere "could" I just
> land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it have to be a
> registered airport? Would it matter if it was an Ultralight, or an "N"
> registered plane??

About 15 years ago I remember a sign on the side of the road down in the
Florida Keys (Summerland Key to be more specific) that stated that cars must
yield right of way to taxiing aircraft. I don't know if that sign is still
there but it sure was funny to see.
Now up here in Central Florida there's an airstrip called Cedar Key (KCDK)
and at that airstrip it is now illegal to use the taxiway for aircraft
movement.
Go figure!

David (KORL)

Marty Shapiro
February 11th 04, 08:58 PM
ET > wrote in
:

> The guy complaining about the next door airport got me thinking more
> about a question that's been rolling around in my head for some time.
>
> I'm not a pilot (yet), don't own a plane, or even any significant
> land, but I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere
> "could" I just land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it
> have to be a registered airport? Would it matter if it was an
> Ultralight, or an "N" registered plane??
>
> What are the rules (federal) that govern this? or is it a state by
> state thing (I'm in Texas if it really matters).
>
> I know I here of planes in Alaska that land on a local road, pull up
> to the rural gas station to fill up, and take off again (or is that an
> Urban Legend?)

I have a copy of the Flyer's Recreation Guide from 1993. It has a
description of Chico Hot Springs, an uncharted "airport" in the town of
Pray, Idaho.

Coord: N-45-21.5, W-110-37.5
Elev: 5200 feet
RWay: 15/33 5000 x 35' asphalt
Freq: CTAF-122.8
Chart: (not charted)

CAUTION: The runway is an automobile highway. Call on 122.8 and ask
Chico Hot Springs to block the road. Land on 15; depart on 33.

"The airport is a county highway that doubles as a runway. ..

Call Chico in advance at 406-333-4933 to alert them of your arrival.
As them to verify that their radio is on and the volume is up. When you
arrive, circle the runway and contact Chico Hot Springs on 122.8 Wait
until they block the road, as required by the county sheriff."

I've never been to Chico Hot Springs, so this is the only information I
have about it.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)

Newps
February 11th 04, 09:11 PM
Marty Shapiro wrote:

> I have a copy of the Flyer's Recreation Guide from 1993. It has a
> description of Chico Hot Springs, an uncharted "airport" in the town of
> Pray, Idaho.

Actually it's in Pray, Montana.

> Coord: N-45-21.5, W-110-37.5
> Elev: 5200 feet
> RWay: 15/33 5000 x 35' asphalt
> Freq: CTAF-122.8
> Chart: (not charted)
>
> CAUTION: The runway is an automobile highway. Call on 122.8 and ask
> Chico Hot Springs to block the road. Land on 15; depart on 33.
>
> "The airport is a county highway that doubles as a runway. ..
>
> Call Chico in advance at 406-333-4933 to alert them of your arrival.
> As them to verify that their radio is on and the volume is up. When you
> arrive, circle the runway and contact Chico Hot Springs on 122.8 Wait
> until they block the road, as required by the county sheriff."
>
> I've never been to Chico Hot Springs, so this is the only information I
> have about it.

You are correct, you land on a portion of the highway.

Kyler Laird
February 11th 04, 09:22 PM
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=4a632a77d0d909f3&seekm=3A076F6D.F9C1E595%40netscape.net
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=451752da8c9c2573&seekm=rq0hfvs44c0qu23fj67p23ot0n1v3rp204%404ax.com&frame=off

--kyler

ET
February 11th 04, 10:45 PM
"Gary" > wrote in
:

>> The guy complaining about the next door airport got me thinking more
>> about a question that's been rolling around in my head for some time.
>>
>> I'm not a pilot (yet), don't own a plane, or even any significant
>> land,
> but
>> I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere "could" I
>> just land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it have to be
>> a registered airport? Would it matter if it was an Ultralight, or an
>> "N" registered plane??
>>
>> What are the rules (federal) that govern this? or is it a state by
>> state thing (I'm in Texas if it really matters).
>>
>> I know I here of planes in Alaska that land on a local road, pull up
> the
>> rural gas station to fill up, and take off again (or is that an Urban
>> Legend?)
>>

> In Texas, you supposedly need Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept permission
> to land a seaplane on a lake. At a couple of remote airports, I've
> taxied off airport property down to a nearby gas station for fuel,
> having no idea if it was legal.

That's another question I had running around in my head for several
years... Didn't want to ask both at once... thanks for adding that.

--
ET >:)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

ET
February 11th 04, 10:46 PM
Kyler Laird > wrote in
:

> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=4a632a77d0d9
> 09f3&seekm=3A076F6D.F9C1E595%40netscape.net
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=451752da8c9c
> 2573&seekm=rq0hfvs44c0qu23fj67p23ot0n1v3rp204%404ax.com&frame=off
>
> --kyler

All responses have been helpfull and interesting... Thanks for the links to
old threads, I normally am a faithfull "google first" person.. but for this
one, I couldn't think of a good combination of search terms that would not
yeild a million hits that are not relevent.

--
ET >:)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Kyler Laird
February 11th 04, 11:11 PM
Marty Shapiro > writes:

> CAUTION: The runway is an automobile highway. Call on 122.8 and ask
>Chico Hot Springs to block the road. Land on 15; depart on 33.

I recall one or two places like that in our fly-in restaurant guide. The
notes are similar. ("Call and we'll stop traffic.") I suspect it was
common back before airports were.

--kyler

d b
February 12th 04, 12:50 AM
I know of at least one place in Kansas where you can land, taxi to the
gas station, get gas and taxi back to the field. Another place that you
taxi off the runway onto the road, stop at the stop sign, pull into the
parking lot, have lunch, crank back up, taxi down the road, stop at the
stop sign then back to the field to take off.

There is no rule that airports need to be registered with the Feds. I
have operated many times from non-airport fields. Never in anything bigger
than a 4 seat plane, though. If you're worried about insurance issues
it becomes an entirely different matter.

In article >, ET >
wrote:
>The guy complaining about the next door airport got me thinking more about
>a question that's been rolling around in my head for some time.
>
>I'm not a pilot (yet), don't own a plane, or even any significant land, but
>I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere "could" I just
>land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it have to be a
>registered airport? Would it matter if it was an Ultralight, or an "N"
>registered plane??
>
>What are the rules (federal) that govern this? or is it a state by state
>thing (I'm in Texas if it really matters).
>
>I know I here of planes in Alaska that land on a local road, pull up to the
>rural gas station to fill up, and take off again (or is that an Urban
>Legend?)

EDR
February 12th 04, 04:56 AM
In article >, d b
> wrote:

> Another place that you taxi off the runway onto the road, stop at
> the stop sign, pull into the parking lot, have lunch, crank back up,
> taxi down the road, stop at the stop sign then back to the field to
> take off.

NOTE: HIgh wing aircraft only. Low wingers must walk.

Cub Driver
February 12th 04, 11:34 AM
Newfound Valley 2N2 in Bristol NH carries the notation: "used as pvt
road look for vehicles" in the AOPA Airport Directory.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:58:00 -0000, Marty Shapiro

:

>> The guy complaining about the next door airport got me thinking more
>> about a question that's been rolling around in my head for some time.
>>
>> I'm not a pilot (yet), don't own a plane, or even any significant
>> land, but I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere
>> "could" I just land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it
>> have to be a registered airport? Would it matter if it was an
>> Ultralight, or an "N" registered plane??
>>
>> What are the rules (federal) that govern this? or is it a state by
>> state thing (I'm in Texas if it really matters).
>>
>> I know I here of planes in Alaska that land on a local road, pull up
>> to the rural gas station to fill up, and take off again (or is that an
>> Urban Legend?)
>>

>I have a copy of the Flyer's Recreation Guide from 1993. It has a
>description of Chico Hot Springs, an uncharted "airport" in the town of
>Pray, Idaho.
>
> Coord: N-45-21.5, W-110-37.5
> Elev: 5200 feet
> RWay: 15/33 5000 x 35' asphalt
> Freq: CTAF-122.8
> Chart: (not charted)
>
> CAUTION: The runway is an automobile highway. Call on 122.8 and ask
>Chico Hot Springs to block the road. Land on 15; depart on 33.
>
> "The airport is a county highway that doubles as a runway. ..
>
> Call Chico in advance at 406-333-4933 to alert them of your arrival.
>As them to verify that their radio is on and the volume is up. When you
>arrive, circle the runway and contact Chico Hot Springs on 122.8 Wait
>until they block the road, as required by the county sheriff."
>
>I've never been to Chico Hot Springs, so this is the only information I
>have about it.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

John Galban
February 12th 04, 04:27 PM
EDR > wrote in message >...
<snip>
> In Alaska, as you drive down a two lane road, you may see signs that
> state "AIRCRAFT HAVE RIGHT OF WAY ON ROAD".

In Alaska I landed on the Dalton highway (actually a 2 lane gravel
road) a few times to go camping. The locals didn't bat an eye, but
the tourists thought I was some kind of lunatic.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Marty Shapiro
February 12th 04, 07:09 PM
(John Galban) wrote in
om:

> EDR > wrote in message
> >... <snip>
>> In Alaska, as you drive down a two lane road, you may see signs that
>> state "AIRCRAFT HAVE RIGHT OF WAY ON ROAD".
>>

> In Alaska I landed on the Dalton highway (actually a 2 lane gravel
> road) a few times to go camping. The locals didn't bat an eye, but
> the tourists thought I was some kind of lunatic.
>
> John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

I went to an FAA Wings safety seminar last night. The topic was about
flying in Alaska. One of the speakers told me that Alaska permits aircraft
to use all public highways.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)

One's Too Many
February 12th 04, 09:42 PM
ET > wrote in message >...
> The guy complaining about the next door airport got me thinking more about
> a question that's been rolling around in my head for some time.
>
> I'm not a pilot (yet), don't own a plane, or even any significant land, but
> I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere "could" I just
> land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it have to be a
> registered airport? Would it matter if it was an Ultralight, or an "N"
> registered plane??
>
> What are the rules (federal) that govern this? or is it a state by state
> thing (I'm in Texas if it really matters).

In Texas you may land on your private airstrip or your otherwise
wide-and-long-enough patch of land and don't even have to officially
register it as a private airport, but you can register it as such if
you want it published. You can also land and take-off on any road
that's not a federal highway (US numbered or Interstate) as long as
you do not create a hazard to yourself or any ground traffic when
doing so and as long as there are no local county or city ordinances
enacted against doing so. However, the determination of whether or not
you are not creating a hazard is solely up to the discretion of any
law enforcement officer who might witness your doing so. So if you
want to land your Cub on some farm road in rural Bumfork County, TX
and taxi up to cousin Andy's house and park in his front yard, you can
generally do so as long as Deputy Barney doesn't get his knickers in a
wad over the deal.

ET
February 12th 04, 10:13 PM
(One's Too Many) wrote in
m:

> ET > wrote in message
>> The guy complaining about the next door airport got me thinking more
>> about a question that's been rolling around in my head for some time.
>>

>> I'm not a pilot (yet), don't own a plane, or even any significant
>> land, but I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere
>> "could" I just land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it
>> have to be a registered airport? Would it matter if it was an
>> Ultralight, or an "N" registered plane??
>>
>> What are the rules (federal) that govern this? or is it a state by
>> state thing (I'm in Texas if it really matters).
>
> In Texas you may land on your private airstrip or your otherwise
> wide-and-long-enough patch of land and don't even have to officially
> register it as a private airport, but you can register it as such if
> you want it published. You can also land and take-off on any road
> that's not a federal highway (US numbered or Interstate) as long as
> you do not create a hazard to yourself or any ground traffic when
> doing so and as long as there are no local county or city ordinances
> enacted against doing so. However, the determination of whether or not
> you are not creating a hazard is solely up to the discretion of any
> law enforcement officer who might witness your doing so. So if you
> want to land your Cub on some farm road in rural Bumfork County, TX
> and taxi up to cousin Andy's house and park in his front yard, you can
> generally do so as long as Deputy Barney doesn't get his knickers in a
> wad over the deal.

heh... That's pretty funny... (the Dep Barney thing)

Interesting.

So I would imagine this kind of thing would vary by county down here....

I just sent some time on my local counties web site, unfortunatly non of
the county ordinances are posted anywhere.

Oh well.

didn't really have anywhere in particular in mind.

--
ET >:)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

REMOVE TO REPLY.pdb
February 13th 04, 08:03 AM

>>>In Alaska, as you drive down a two lane road, you may see signs that
>>>state "AIRCRAFT HAVE RIGHT OF WAY ON ROAD".
>>>

>> In Alaska I landed on the Dalton highway (actually a 2 lane gravel
>>road) a few times to go camping. The locals didn't bat an eye, but
>>the tourists thought I was some kind of lunatic.
>>
>>John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)
>>

> I went to an FAA Wings safety seminar last night. The topic was about
> flying in Alaska. One of the speakers told me that Alaska permits aircraft
> to use all public highways.

Yu can land on a road provided its not done in a careless
or reckless fashion. Some troopers may consider landing on a
highway reckless. Others will block traffic for you to let
you take off.

Of course, I only do it when I suspect low oil pressure, in
which case the landing is precautionary. ;)

Alaska Statue 02.30.030. Reckless Operation.

(a) A person may not operate an aircraft in the air or on
the ground or water in a careless or reckless manner so as
to endanger the life or property of another. In a proceeding
charging careless or reckless operation of aircraft in
violation of this section, the court, in determining whether
the operation was careless or reckless, shall consider the
standards for safe operation of aircraft prescribed by
federal statutes or regulations governing aeronautics.

--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Cub Driver
February 13th 04, 11:53 AM
> In Alaska I landed on the Dalton highway

In Valemount, Canada, the local airport was too small (or too rough?)
for the skier from Texas who flew in with a twin-engine plane. So the
Mounties blocked the highway--including Valmount's main street, as I
recall.

Guy taxied right into the motel parking lot and parked near the
helicopter that would take him skiing for the next six days. Wife or
girlfriend stepped down, wearing sunglasses that made her look just
like Jackie O.

Didn't get a chance to talk to him; we were outward bound, by bus.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

ET
February 13th 04, 02:06 PM
Cub Driver > wrote in
:

>> In Alaska I landed on the Dalton highway
>
> In Valemount, Canada, the local airport was too small (or too rough?)
> for the skier from Texas who flew in with a twin-engine plane. So the
> Mounties blocked the highway--including Valmount's main street, as I
> recall.
>
> Guy taxied right into the motel parking lot and parked near the
> helicopter that would take him skiing for the next six days. Wife or
> girlfriend stepped down, wearing sunglasses that made her look just
> like Jackie O.
>
> Didn't get a chance to talk to him; we were outward bound, by bus.
>
> all the best -- Dan Ford
> email:
>
> see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
> and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Must be tough >;)

--
ET >:)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Ben Haas
February 13th 04, 02:26 PM
"CFLav8r" > wrote in message >...
> > I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere "could" I just
> > land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it have to be a
> > registered airport? Would it matter if it was an Ultralight, or an "N"
> > registered plane??
>
> About 15 years ago I remember a sign on the side of the road down in the
> Florida Keys (Summerland Key to be more specific) that stated that cars must
> yield right of way to taxiing aircraft. I don't know if that sign is still
> there but it sure was funny to see.
> Now up here in Central Florida there's an airstrip called Cedar Key (KCDK)
> and at that airstrip it is now illegal to use the taxiway for aircraft
> movement.
> Go figure!
>
> David (KORL)

Ahh. That brings up fond memories. I used to fly into ther, have Edna
drive us to town to get some of the best seafood in Fla. Hearing her
stories were worth the trip evey time. And the wagon she drove had to
have had a million miles on it too. Those were the days !!!!!!!

Ben Haas N801BH Jackson Hole Wy.

Jeff Franks
February 15th 04, 04:38 AM
My "understanding" of TN law is that you can, in an emergency, land on any
public highway. You cannot, however, take off from one (without some sort
of permission).

"ET" > wrote in message
> The guy complaining about the next door airport got me thinking more about
> a question that's been rolling around in my head for some time.
>
> I'm not a pilot (yet), don't own a plane, or even any significant land,
but
> I've kind of wondered..... If I owned enough land somewhere "could" I just
> land my plane on an appropriate surface? or would it have to be a
> registered airport? Would it matter if it was an Ultralight, or an "N"
> registered plane??
>
> What are the rules (federal) that govern this? or is it a state by state
> thing (I'm in Texas if it really matters).
>
> I know I here of planes in Alaska that land on a local road, pull up to
the
> rural gas station to fill up, and take off again (or is that an Urban
> Legend?)
>

> --
> ET >:)
> (Future student pilot and future Sonex builder)
>

> "A common mistake people make when trying to design something
> completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
> fools."---- Douglas Adams

Dana M. Hague
February 24th 04, 03:11 AM
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:27:01 GMT, ET > wrote:

>What are the rules (federal) that govern this? or is it a state by state
>thing (I'm in Texas if it really matters).

As others have pointed out, the feds don't care but the state or local
authorities may:

When I lived in New Jersey, it was illegal to land, except in an
emergency, anywhere but at a state approved airport. I ran afoul of
that once when I made an emergency landing on a pier (which was legal)
and then flew it out again the next day (which wasn't).

One guy made an emergency landing on the Garden State Parkway and got
a ticket for entering not from an on ramp and failure to pay the toll.

Of course, that's NJ, where everything not compulsory is forbidden.

In Connecticut where I live now, it used to be that you needed to
register a field as a state registered airport if you used it for more
than (IIRC) 30 operations per month. I'm pretty sure this has since
ben repealed, and now they don't care what you do.

A guy in my town wanted to build an airstrip. The town zoning people
told him ultralights were OK, but registered aircraft weren't.

I sometimes fly my paramotor from a State park here in CT. Once a cop
stopped by... no problem, just wanted to chat and make sure I wasn't
flying over the adjacent nuke plant (I wasn't). OTOH, in NY state
parks, ALL forms of aviation are prohibited, in a language that would
seem to make even birds felons.

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Why doesn't the fattest man in the world become a hockey goalie?

Cub Driver
February 24th 04, 11:59 AM
>When I lived in New Jersey, it was illegal to land, except in an
>emergency, anywhere but at a state approved airport.

Apparently this is also true of water. Damian Delgaizo at Andover
Flight Academy was talking about getting floats for his Husky. The
training would have to take place in Pennslyvania.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Dana M. Hague
February 24th 04, 10:42 PM
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:59:28 -0500, Cub Driver
> wrote:

>>When I lived in New Jersey, it was illegal to land, except in an
>>emergency, anywhere but at a state approved airport.
>
>Apparently this is also true of water. Damian Delgaizo at Andover
>Flight Academy was talking about getting floats for his Husky. The
>training would have to take place in Pennslyvania.

It may depend on the water. I lived in Silverton (on Barnegat Bay)
and I sometimes saw a seaplane operating on Kettle Creek near there.
Perhaps tidal water is/was OK. I had considered getting floats for
my T-Craft as I could get a real good price, but I decided against it,
partly because I only had a 65, but also because I was concerned about
sal****er corrosion on the old steel tube fuselage.

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.

Tlewis95
February 27th 04, 10:29 PM
WELL, YOU CANT LAND IT AT MEIGS ANYMORE

Trace Lewis