View Full Version : Phone gun

Paul Sengupta
February 12th 04, 04:48 PM
http://cellular.co.za/phones/gunphone/gun-phone.htm

G.R. Patterson III
February 12th 04, 05:46 PM
Paul Sengupta wrote:

> http://cellular.co.za/phones/gunphone/gun-phone.htm

So now they'll make you call someone on your phone before you can take it on
board? I guess the next step is for Sarah Brady to organize Cellphone Control
Incorporated.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.

Larry Dighera
February 12th 04, 06:07 PM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:48:59 -0000, "Paul Sengupta"
> wrote in Message-Id:
>:

>http://cellular.co.za/phones/gunphone/gun-phone.htm

Airport authorities across Europe are implementing systems to
X-ray all cell phones, those procedures will likely be followed by
airports around the world.

It would seem that X-rays might affect flash memory chips, but the
loss of your electronic phone book is the least of your worries:

“It means police will have to draw their weapons whenever a person
being checked reaches for their mobile phone.”

And the FAA's approach:

FAA spokeswoman Rebecca Trexler said airport security officers had
been trained to deal with this new threat.

“We don’t want to tell the bad guys exactly what we’re looking
for,” she says, “We are trying to stay one step ahead.”

Security through obscurity. :-(

John Harlow
February 12th 04, 08:13 PM
> It would seem that X-rays might affect flash memory chips,

They do?

Doug Carter
February 12th 04, 08:54 PM
On 2004-02-12, John Harlow > wrote:

>> It would seem that X-rays might affect flash memory chips,
>
> They do?

Blue supergiant stars like Cygnus X-1 emit enough x-rays to erase flash
memories but they probably won't fit in airport scanning machines.

Peter Gottlieb
February 13th 04, 12:39 AM
Usually, I want to shoot my phone, not use it to shoot.

"Paul Sengupta" > wrote in message
> http://cellular.co.za/phones/gunphone/gun-phone.htm

Peter Gottlieb
February 13th 04, 01:51 AM
X-rays most definitely can erase UV-EPROMS and their OTP cousins. Had that
happen a few times, drove me nuts until I figured it out and had the
shipment on an "open and inspect" basis rather than x-ray inspection.

Don't know about flash, though, as I never sent any through.

"Doug Carter" > wrote in message
> On 2004-02-12, John Harlow > wrote:
> >
> >> It would seem that X-rays might affect flash memory chips,
> >
> > They do?
> >
> Blue supergiant stars like Cygnus X-1 emit enough x-rays to erase flash
> memories but they probably won't fit in airport scanning machines.

Doug Carter
February 13th 04, 02:07 AM
On 2004-02-13, Peter Gottlieb > wrote:
> X-rays most definitely can erase UV-EPROMS and their OTP cousins. Had that
> happen a few times, drove me nuts until I figured it out and had the
> shipment on an "open and inspect" basis rather than x-ray inspection.

Was this on the hand or checked baggage x-ray? The hand bag scanners
are very low intensity; rarely fog even 400asa film, checked bag
scanners are more intense (or so I've heard).

Either is less intense than a 22 calber round.

C J Campbell
February 13th 04, 03:17 AM
"Paul Sengupta" > wrote in message
| http://cellular.co.za/phones/gunphone/gun-phone.htm

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/cellgun.htm

Herbert Paulis
February 13th 04, 07:35 AM
Technically I do have some doubts about how the rounds from the cartridges
not directly under the antenna can be fired using the antenna as a barrel?!?
The video is not very convincing ...

Herbert Paulis
PPL-ASEL
LOAV

"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

> "Paul Sengupta" > wrote in message
> | http://cellular.co.za/phones/gunphone/gun-phone.htm
> |

> http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/cellgun.htm

Ron Natalie
February 13th 04, 06:18 PM
"Herbert Paulis" > wrote in message ...
> Technically I do have some doubts about how the rounds from the cartridges
> not directly under the antenna can be fired using the antenna as a barrel?!?
> The video is not very convincing ...

I'm not sure they are coming out the antenna. I suspect there are four
single shot chambers/barrels inside the top of the case.

This is why different buttons have to be pressed. The clip shows the casings
being retained in the same position as it was before it was fired.

David CL Francis
February 13th 04, 10:44 PM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 at 16:48:59 in message
>, Paul Sengupta
> wrote:
>http://cellular.co.za/phones/gunphone/gun-phone.htm

I am sure I saw an article and illustration of this type of weapon more
than a year (2 years?) ago.

--
David CL Francis

John Harlow
February 13th 04, 11:09 PM
> I am sure I saw an article and illustration of this type of weapon
> more than a year (2 years?) ago.

Yeah, it's making the rounds (pun intended) again. Next thing you know,
Gates and Disney will team up and make some new email tracking software ;)

Google