PDA

View Full Version : Rotax 505 Mechanics/Rebuilders

RAS56
January 7th 13, 09:33 PM
Thinking about self-launching and contemplating one that has been un-run for some time.

Concerned about internal corrosion, etc on the Rotax 505 installed on the MG and would like to contact a USA shop that has experience with this engine so I could discuss the situation and price an engine rebuild, if needed. Bonus points for Central US, Daily Double if in Texas...

Thanks!

ZAP

January 7th 13, 10:51 PM
On Monday, January 7, 2013 3:33:44 PM UTC-6, RAS56 wrote:
> Thinking about self-launching and contemplating one that has been un-run for some time. Concerned about internal corrosion, etc on the Rotax 505 installed on the MG and would like to contact a USA shop that has experience with this engine so I could discuss the situation and price an engine rebuild, if needed. Bonus points for Central US, Daily Double if in Texas... Thanks! ZAP

Does this mean your 19 may soon be on the market?

Dave Nadler
January 7th 13, 11:24 PM
On Monday, January 7, 2013 5:51:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Does this mean your 19 may soon be on the market?

Naw, sounds like he's going to need a spare glider...

soartech[_2_]
January 8th 13, 05:56 PM
I once bought a trike with 2 stroke engine that had not been started
in 12 years.
It had been stored in an un-heated, but dry, garage.
I removed the muffler to peak inside the cylinders and they were clean
and shiny. I believe the oil in
the 2 stroke fuel coats the metal and inhibits rust. As long as it is
kept in a dry
location I would bet it is OK.

RAS56
January 9th 13, 04:10 AM
On Monday, January 7, 2013 4:51:42 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Monday, January 7, 2013 3:33:44 PM UTC-6, RAS56 wrote:
>
> > Thinking about self-launching and contemplating one that has been un-run for some time. Concerned about internal corrosion, etc on the Rotax 505 installed on the MG and would like to contact a USA shop that has experience with this engine so I could discuss the situation and price an engine rebuild, if needed. Bonus points for Central US, Daily Double if in Texas... Thanks! ZAP
>

> Does this mean your 19 may soon be on the market?

Hi Robert,

Wellll...not exactly, but maybe. Then again, everything I own is for sale at the right price except the wife or the dog!

The more I find out about 30 year old motorgliders, the more it gives me pause.

I did have a good conversation with one of the few folks in the country that works on these things at:

http://www.ruleaviation.com/

The upshot is long periods of idleness do 2-strokers no good, especially if they haven't been properly prepared ahead of time.

Perhaps Mr. Nadler will start selling an electric version of the Antares for the proletariat, something without the high priced battery set used but with the much more user friendly (and cheap!) good old D-cell?

Right now my self-launch future is looking to be balsa-constructed and rubber-band powered, at best...

Take care,

Rob

October 19th 15, 09:50 PM
Hello, I am looking for a mechanic that can work on the rotax 505 on my DG 800 motorglider located in the charlotte nc area..... Any idea?
S. Dimentstein
I L
704 968 4344

Paul Villinski
October 22nd 15, 05:15 AM
http://www.kodiakbs.com/service-and-repair-center

This site lists a number of service centers. I have a 505 in a 1985 DG 400, and as far as I can tell, it is identical to the much more common 503 in many ways, with some notable exceptions, like the crankshaft. My sense is that an outfit qualified to service a 503 may well be able to service the 505..

2G
October 24th 15, 02:58 AM
On Monday, January 7, 2013 at 1:33:44 PM UTC-8, RAS56 wrote:
> Thinking about self-launching and contemplating one that has been un-run for some time.
>
> Concerned about internal corrosion, etc on the Rotax 505 installed on the MG and would like to contact a USA shop that has experience with this engine so I could discuss the situation and price an engine rebuild, if needed. Bonus points for Central US, Daily Double if in Texas...
>
> Thanks!
>
> ZAP

Clyde Poser at Rule Aviation is a certified rebuilder of the Rotax 505:

http://www.ruleaviation.com/

Tom

Google