PDA

View Full Version : Faa to investigate meigs's closing

charley
February 13th 04, 10:03 PM
Sorry if this is not suppose to be put in this group but I thought some of
you may be interested.

FAA To Investigate Meigs Closure

Agency Grants AOPA Demand For Investigation
Fortunately, the debateover the unprecedented closure of Chiacgo's Meigs
field is comingto light once again. On its website, AOPA says the FAAmerits
the organization's claim that the city of Chicagoviolated federal law and
aviation regulations when it shut downMeigs Field last March. The agency
says it will investigate theclosure.

AOPA filed a formal complaint following the destruction ofMeigs's runway on
Mayor Richard M. Daley's order, claiming the cityfailed to provide adequate
notice, as required by the FARs. Whilethe organization admits the complaint
will not result in theairport's reopening it may lead to the mayor and the
city beingpunished for their actions.

"AOPA intends to push for the appropriate penalty to be imposedon the city,"
said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "Mayor Daley and anyother state or local
official who may want to follow Daley's leadmust be made to understand they
cannot unilaterally change theNational Airspace System."

The manager of the FAA's Enforcement Division sent a letter ofresponse to
AOPA's complaint against both the mayor and the city,saying "reasonable
grounds exist" to begin an informalinvestigation into the allegations.

AOPA maintains that Daley and the city of Chicago violated boththe U.S. Code
and Federal Aviation Regulations. The U.S. Codestates that an airport or
landing area not involving theexpenditure of federal money may be altered
substantially "only ifthe Administrator of the Federal Aviation
Administration is givenreasonable prior notice, so that the Administrator
may provideadvice on the effects" of the alteration. In order for
theadministrator to carry out that obligation, Federal AviationRegulations
state that anyone intending to alter a runway,deactivate a runway or
airport, or change the status of an airportmust submit notice of that intent
at least 90 days prior to takingsuch action.

AOPA says the FARs do provide for immediate emergency action,such as in the
case of national security, which was Daley'soriginal claim. However, even in
the case of an emergency, if theairport has a charted instrument approach,
which Meigs Field did, aminimum of 30 days' notice must be given.

An informalinvestigation proceeds at the discretion of the
assignedinvestigator, in this case the manger of the Chicago
AirportsDistrict Office of the FAA's Great Lakes Region. At the end of
theinvestigation, the FAA will issue an Enforcement InvestigativeReport. If
the report suggests that there's evidence to proceed,then the FARs say "a
notice of proposed order may be issued orother enforcement action taken."
That enforcement could be anythingup to and including fining the city for
its action. There is notime limit for an informal investigation, but any
civil penaltyaction must be taken within two years of the event - in
thiscase by March 30, 2005.

"The fact of the matter is that nothing the FAA eventually doeswill bring
Meigs Field back," said Boyer. "But the FAA's declaringthat our complaint
has merit sends a message to the next mayor orcounty supervisor or governor
who gets the same idea to shut downan airport in the dark of night - 'don't
try it!'"

FMI: www.aopa.org

Jay Honeck
February 13th 04, 10:30 PM
> Agency Grants AOPA Demand For Investigation

Good job, AOPA.

It won't change anything, but maybe it will highlight what a crook Daley
is...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Mike O'Malley
February 14th 04, 05:00 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Agency Grants AOPA Demand For Investigation
>
> Good job, AOPA.
>
> It won't change anything, but maybe it will highlight what a crook Daley
> is...

Good luck. The people of Chicago never cease to amaze me in their tolerance for
corruption. I think it may be the "Yeah, he's a crook, but he's MY crook"
mentality. That and he has every union in Cook county in his back pocket.
Along with all the dead voters. And don't forget all his politicaly connected
friends.

Which is why I still have only set foot in Chicago ONCE since this whole fiasco
(really didn't have a choice in the matter. Would have prefered not too)

Dennis O'Connor
February 14th 04, 01:16 PM
For neigh onto twenty years we flew to Meig's, usually twice a year, for the
museums and shopping, dropping several thousand dollars in the city per
trip... I have not spent one red cent in that city since... However, Toronto
and Cleveland have taken up the slack..
denny

"Mike O'Malley" > wrote in message
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > > Agency Grants AOPA Demand For Investigation
> >
> > Good job, AOPA.
> >
> > It won't change anything, but maybe it will highlight what a crook Daley
> > is...
>
> Good luck. The people of Chicago never cease to amaze me in their
tolerance for
> corruption. I think it may be the "Yeah, he's a crook, but he's MY crook"
> mentality. That and he has every union in Cook county in his back pocket.
> Along with all the dead voters. And don't forget all his politicaly
connected
> friends.
>
> Which is why I still have only set foot in Chicago ONCE since this whole
fiasco
> (really didn't have a choice in the matter. Would have prefered not too)

Jay Honeck
February 14th 04, 01:21 PM
> Which is why I still have only set foot in Chicago ONCE since this whole
fiasco

Me, neither. After Meigs, Mary and I made a conscious choice not to go to
Chicago for ANY reason, business or pleasure.

We've already skipped at least two conferences, and have declined several
vacation opportunities in Chicago.

How 'bout the rest of you? Are *you* putting your money where your mouth
is, or is it just "business as usual?"
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

G.R. Patterson III
February 14th 04, 04:54 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> How 'bout the rest of you? Are *you* putting your money where your mouth
> is, or is it just "business as usual?"

I haven't been in Chicago in over ten years and have no plans to return there.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.

Brien K. Meehan
February 14th 04, 07:25 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:<AhpXb.178122$U%5.845330@attbi_s03>...

> How 'bout the rest of you?

Yeah, me too. I've said so here in the past.

I'll consider returning to Chicago when Meigs is rebuilt.

Until then, I won't even remotely consider forgiving the people of
Chicago before the Daley regime is ousted (including any appointed
successors).

S Green
February 14th 04, 08:04 PM
"Brien K. Meehan" > wrote in message
m...
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
>
> > How 'bout the rest of you?
>
> Yeah, me too. I've said so here in the past.
>
> I'll consider returning to Chicago when Meigs is rebuilt.
>
> Until then, I won't even remotely consider forgiving the people of
> Chicago before the Daley regime is ousted (including any appointed
> successors).

Perhaps old Bushy should sort out regime change in Chicago before swanning
off round the world doing it in other countries. Charity begins at home.

Tom Sixkiller
February 14th 04, 08:58 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Which is why I still have only set foot in Chicago ONCE since this whole
> fiasco
>
> Me, neither. After Meigs, Mary and I made a conscious choice not to go to
> Chicago for ANY reason, business or pleasure.
>
> We've already skipped at least two conferences, and have declined several
> vacation opportunities in Chicago.
>
> How 'bout the rest of you? Are *you* putting your money where your mouth
> is, or is it just "business as usual?"

Do you consider Bolingbrook/Westmont to be part of Chicago?

My wife is originally from Westmont, but then, as the song says, "You can
never go home again!".

Jerry
February 14th 04, 09:51 PM
I usually go to a large meeting in Chicago in November. I cancelled my
registration and told the sponsor why. Informed them to notify me if they
ever decided to have it in another city.

Jerry Self

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Which is why I still have only set foot in Chicago ONCE since this whole
> fiasco
>
> Me, neither. After Meigs, Mary and I made a conscious choice not to go to
> Chicago for ANY reason, business or pleasure.
>
> We've already skipped at least two conferences, and have declined several
> vacation opportunities in Chicago.
>
> How 'bout the rest of you? Are *you* putting your money where your mouth
> is, or is it just "business as usual?"
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Stuart King
February 14th 04, 10:47 PM
Repost from last year. I was mad at Daley. So I wrote this.
____________________________________

May 2, 2003

Attack on Meigs is an attack on America!

Greater than 200 years ago our founding forefathers became so enraged at
their situation that they took up arms and died for a cause. They were being
oppressed by the government. Not their government, but a King who lived
half of a world away. The King would not listen to their complaints and they
had no due process for changing their situation. The government was
unresponsive to their needs and even less responsive to the will of the
people. The King, a form of dictatorship, did as the dictator decided, with
or without consideration of the will of our forefathers. Our founding
forefathers were so incensed by this that they grabbed their muskets and
their pitchforks and went to fight.and die for their freedom. They knew
they could no longer live under a government where they had no influence on
the decision making process. They decided that a new form of government was
worth fighting and dieing for. A form of government that was responsive to
the will of the people. One that served the people rather than making the
people subservient. One where the people made decisions and those who held
office knew they were accountable to those very same people. They wanted a
government that was "of the people and for the people." It was time to make
a change. Many died making that change. They knew however that it was a
change not just for themselves, but also for their children, and their
children's children, and for humanity as a whole. They knew that the time
for a democracy had come. They knew that the freedoms that came with this
democracy would be cherished by generations to come.and they were right.

On March 30, 2003, under cover of darkness, after secret meetings, the Mayor
of Chicago decided to trample on these sacred freedoms, by resorting to
dictatorial tactics that had previously passed into the history books. He
decided he knew better than the people. He decided he knew better than the
laws passed by the peoples elected representatives. He decided he was above
Illinois law. He decided he was above Federal law. He decided he did not
need to allow the people a redress of grievances, or peaceful discussions.
In summary he decided that the ideas and values that our forefathers fought
and died for were no longer valid, and did not apply to him. When Mayor
Daley secretly vandalized Meigs field, he virtually stomped on the American
dream.a dream where the government is responsive to the people. A dream
where the people have the right to participate in the decision-making
processes of their government.

Once again, it is time for change. Not change with guns or violence, but
the type that our founding forefathers insured for us when they formed this
democracy. The kind of change that is possible when our elected officials
are accountable for their actions.

It's time that Mayor Daley learns that he is not above the law. He must
respect the will of the people, and he must follow due process. He must
learn to respect the laws of the land, the very laws created by the people
for the people. He should apologize to the people for his arrogance and his
egregious actions. He should try to make amends by repairing Meigs field.
Finally, although difficult, he should try to regain the trust of the people
who once trusted him.

Stuart C. King

Mike O'Malley
February 15th 04, 07:06 AM
"Tom Sixkiller" > wrote in message

> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > > Which is why I still have only set foot in Chicago ONCE since this whole
> > fiasco
> >
> > Me, neither. After Meigs, Mary and I made a conscious choice not to go to
> > Chicago for ANY reason, business or pleasure.
> >
> > We've already skipped at least two conferences, and have declined several
> > vacation opportunities in Chicago.
> >
> > How 'bout the rest of you? Are *you* putting your money where your mouth
> > is, or is it just "business as usual?"
>

> Do you consider Bolingbrook/Westmont to be part of Chicago?

I hope not, if we start considering the 'burbs part of Chicago, I'm screwed. I
hate Daley, but I sure ain't about to be moving 100+ miles from home to get out
of the Chicago metro area (now Aurora and Joliet are considered "suburbs"!
Watch out Jay, before you know it, we'll have sprawled all the way to Iowa
City!)

Joe Johnson
February 16th 04, 03:11 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Which is why I still have only set foot in Chicago ONCE since this whole
> fiasco
>
> Me, neither. After Meigs, Mary and I made a conscious choice not to go to
> Chicago for ANY reason, business or pleasure.
>
> We've already skipped at least two conferences, and have declined several
> vacation opportunities in Chicago.
>
> How 'bout the rest of you? Are *you* putting your money where your mouth
> is, or is it just "business as usual?"
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

I'm a radiologist. The RSNA (main radiology annual meeting) is in McCormick
Place each year. No way I'm going unless they move the meeting.

Paul Sengupta
February 16th 04, 12:47 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Me, neither. After Meigs, Mary and I made a conscious choice not to go to
> Chicago for ANY reason, business or pleasure.

> How 'bout the rest of you? Are *you* putting your money where your mouth
> is, or is it just "business as usual?"

Nope I haven't been to Chicago either.

I fact, the only reason I would have chosen to go to Chicago
would have been to fly into Meigs.

Paul (UK)

Jeff
February 16th 04, 06:12 PM
I heard on the news recently that because of the closing of meigs that O'hare is
hav ing a problem keeping up with all the traffic and has asked american
airlines to reduce its number of flights in and out of chicago.

charley wrote:

> [...]
> AirportsDistrict Office of the FAA's Great Lakes Region. At the end of
> theinvestigation, the FAA will issue an Enforcement InvestigativeReport. If
> the report suggests that there's evidence to proceed,then the FARs say "a
> notice of proposed order may be issued orother enforcement action taken."
> That enforcement could be anythingup to and including fining the city for
> its action. There is notime limit for an informal investigation, but any
> civil penaltyaction must be taken within two years of the event - in
> thiscase by March 30, 2005.
>
> "The fact of the matter is that nothing the FAA eventually doeswill bring
> Meigs Field back," said Boyer. "But the FAA's declaringthat our complaint
> has merit sends a message to the next mayor orcounty supervisor or governor
> who gets the same idea to shut downan airport in the dark of night - 'don't

Frank
February 16th 04, 10:43 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

>> Which is why I still have only set foot in Chicago ONCE since this whole
> fiasco
>
> Me, neither. After Meigs, Mary and I made a conscious choice not to go to
> Chicago for ANY reason, business or pleasure.
>
> We've already skipped at least two conferences, and have declined several
> vacation opportunities in Chicago.
>
> How 'bout the rest of you? Are *you* putting your money where your mouth
> is, or is it just "business as usual?"

Not only am I "putting my money where my mouth is", I actively discourage
others from going if I have the chance. Talked some friends into changing
their travel plans so as to avoid landing at ORD.

--
Frank....H

Stuart King
February 17th 04, 01:18 AM
I called and wrote RSNA about the same issue....same meeting.

SK

"Joe Johnson" > wrote in message
om...

> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > > Which is why I still have only set foot in Chicago ONCE since this
whole
> > fiasco
> >
> > Me, neither. After Meigs, Mary and I made a conscious choice not to go
> > Chicago for ANY reason, business or pleasure.
> >
> > We've already skipped at least two conferences, and have declined
several
> > vacation opportunities in Chicago.
> >
> > How 'bout the rest of you? Are *you* putting your money where your
mouth
> > is, or is it just "business as usual?"
> > --
> > Jay Honeck
> > Iowa City, IA
> > Pathfinder N56993
> > www.AlexisParkInn.com
> > "Your Aviation Destination"
> >
> I'm a radiologist. The RSNA (main radiology annual meeting) is in
McCormick
> Place each year. No way I'm going unless they move the meeting.

Maurice Givens
February 17th 04, 03:46 PM
Jeff > wrote in message >...
> I heard on the news recently that because of the closing of meigs that O'hare is
> hav ing a problem keeping up with all the traffic and has asked american
> airlines to reduce its number of flights in and out of chicago.

Not quite true. AA (and others, as I understad it)increased the
number of flights they had during the "rush hour", and were asked to
reduce them to the previous level.

Mauriice Givens

Jay Honeck
February 19th 04, 12:57 PM
> Not only am I "putting my money where my mouth is", I actively discourage
> others from going if I have the chance. Talked some friends into changing
> their travel plans so as to avoid landing at ORD.

Me, too.

And every guest we get from the Chicagoland area gets an earful from me
about Daley and Meigs. It's surprising how many people don't realize the
depth of anger in the piloting community.

Strangely, I've yet to meet anyone who admits to voting for him. :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Dennis O'Connor
February 19th 04, 01:27 PM
They don't have to... That's taken care of automatically, just like his
father did for JFK...
denny

"Jay Honeck" > wrote > Strangely, I've yet to meet
anyone who admits to voting for him. :-)

Rosspilot
February 19th 04, 04:03 PM
>Talked some friends into changing
>> their travel plans so as to avoid landing at ORD.

I just got back from Las Vegas . . . flew on American and deliberately had my
connections in Dallas (going) and St Louis (returning) to avoid landing at ORD
.. . . just my own small form of protest.

www.Rosspilot.com

Dave Stadt
February 19th 04, 08:19 PM
"Rosspilot" > wrote in message
> >Talked some friends into changing
> >> their travel plans so as to avoid landing at ORD.
>
> I just got back from Las Vegas . . . flew on American and deliberately had
my
> connections in Dallas (going) and St Louis (returning) to avoid landing at
ORD
> . . . just my own small form of protest.
>

> www.Rosspilot.com

This just in.....

Mayor Richard Daley said he would have "no problem" with Cook County issuing
marriage licenses to gay couples in Chicago, the nation's third largest
city.

Entering a national debate over gay marriage, Daley urged sympathy for
same-sex couples because "they love each other just as much as anyone else."

Wonder if his plans include building a gay wedding chapel where Meigs once
stood?

Rosspilot
February 20th 04, 12:24 AM
>Mayor Richard Daley said he would have "no problem" with Cook County issuing
>marriage licenses to gay couples in Chicago, the nation's third largest
>city.

It's the end of the world as we knew it.

www.Rosspilot.com

David Reinhart
February 23rd 04, 11:17 PM
I have avoided Chicago since Meigs, even paying more for airfare rather than
stop at O'Hare or Midway. I'm going to have to break that rule in March and
make a change at Midway but there really wasn't another alternative. I plan
to avoid Chicago whenever humanly possible at least until that SOB Daley is
dead and buried.

Dave Reinhart

Jay Honeck wrote:

> > Which is why I still have only set foot in Chicago ONCE since this whole
> fiasco
>
> Me, neither. After Meigs, Mary and I made a conscious choice not to go to
> Chicago for ANY reason, business or pleasure.
>
> We've already skipped at least two conferences, and have declined several
> vacation opportunities in Chicago.
>
> How 'bout the rest of you? Are *you* putting your money where your mouth
> is, or is it just "business as usual?"
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jon Woellhaf
February 23rd 04, 11:55 PM
Prediction: In a few years, after Mayor Daley is dead, "Meigs" will be
reopened ... and be renamed Daley Field.

"David Reinhart" > wrote in message
> I have avoided Chicago since Meigs, even paying more for airfare rather
than
> stop at O'Hare or Midway. I'm going to have to break that rule in March
and
> make a change at Midway but there really wasn't another alternative. I
plan
> to avoid Chicago whenever humanly possible at least until that SOB Daley
is
> dead and buried.
>
> Dave Reinhart
>

> Jay Honeck wrote:
>
> > > Which is why I still have only set foot in Chicago ONCE since this
whole
> > fiasco
> >
> > Me, neither. After Meigs, Mary and I made a conscious choice not to go
> > Chicago for ANY reason, business or pleasure.
> >
> > We've already skipped at least two conferences, and have declined
several
> > vacation opportunities in Chicago.
> >
> > How 'bout the rest of you? Are *you* putting your money where your
mouth
> > is, or is it just "business as usual?"
> > --
> > Jay Honeck