PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a PIREP for a zuluboard kneeboard?

Jack Allison
February 14th 04, 03:39 AM
Does anyone own a zuluboard kneeboard and if so, how do you like it? Thanks
in advance!

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Paul Tomblin
February 14th 04, 04:55 AM
In a previous article, "Jack Allison" > said:
>Does anyone own a zuluboard kneeboard and if so, how do you like it? Thanks
>in advance!

I've got one. I've used it on a few cross countries. It's not bad. I
woudn't dump your existing kneeboard to buy it, but if you need a
kneeboard, this one is a pretty decent one. It straps down well, carries
a few charts and pens, and the organization on the pad helps you write and
find what you need.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Almost any animal is capable of learning a stimulus/response association,

McGregor
February 15th 04, 05:25 AM
They suck. They're working the "razor blade" business model - they offer
special paper for the kneeboard. You can use a regular note pad if you
remove a screw, but... Not as much space for approach plates/pens as my
basic IFR knee pad.

Looks nice. Not very functional. I'll sell you mine (never flown with it) -
brown waxed canvas - $10.

"Jack Allison" > wrote in message
> Does anyone own a zuluboard kneeboard and if so, how do you like it?
Thanks
> in advance!
>
> --
> Jack Allison
> PP-ASEL
>
> "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth
> with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there
> you will always long to return"
> - Leonardo Da Vinci
>
> (Remove the obvious from address to reply via e-mail)

Jon Kraus
February 17th 04, 12:35 AM
I don't have a zuluboard kneeboard but I do have an ASA kneeboard that I
never use anymore (Sorry Bob Gardner).... The best "kneeboard" I have
found is one I made with $7.00 worth of materials from Staples. Go get a
11" x 8" clipboard with a couple of extra clips, a 99 cent mouse pad,
and some stick on Velcro tape. Glue the mousepad to the bottom of the
board with some rubber cement (the neoprene side down). This will make
the clipboard not move around as it sits accross your lap. Take the
Velcro tape and attach it to a couple of pens, your flashlight, ect...
You can then attach them to the clipboard wherever you want. The extra
clips will hold your charts, notepad ect... It works great.... It is
like having a little desk with you... I have used it for all of my IRF
training without a problem...

I wish I could take credit for the idea but I really got it from Rod
Machado's "Instument Flying Handbook". Good luck....

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA

Jack Allison wrote:

>Does anyone own a zuluboard kneeboard and if so, how do you like it? Thanks
>in advance!

C J Campbell
February 17th 04, 01:41 AM
"Jack Allison" > wrote in message
> Does anyone own a zuluboard kneeboard and if so, how do you like it?
Thanks
> in advance!

Do you see a lot of professional pilots using kneeboards? Does your
instructor use one?

IMHO any kneeboard is worse than no kneeboard. The kneeboard is a solution
in search of a problem.

I write notes on a small spiral notepad, preferably with a pen. Everything
else goes into a little bag or a pocket where I can reach it when I need it.
There is absolutely no need to have everything spread out in front of you
all of the time. A simple clipboard is sufficient for your cross country
navigation log.

As Rod Machado points out, a pilot still needs a few kneeboards for the
kneeboard clapping dances we do during our secret rituals in abandoned
hangars at night. These should be large and heavy and hard so as to make the
maximum clapping noise.

Thomas Borchert
February 17th 04, 03:44 PM
C,

> Do you see a lot of professional pilots using kneeboards? Does your
> instructor use one?

Maybe not, but they believe in the dangers of downwind turns and
lean-of-peak, too. So what does that show?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

gross_arrow
February 17th 04, 03:53 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message >...
> "Jack Allison" > wrote in message
> > Does anyone own a zuluboard kneeboard and if so, how do you like it?
> Thanks
> > in advance!
>
> Do you see a lot of professional pilots using kneeboards? Does your
> instructor use one?

well, if he were my student he could answer "yes" to the your second question.

> IMHO any kneeboard is worse than no kneeboard. The kneeboard is a solution
> in search of a problem.

i use a small (5 x 8) kneeboard. it keeps my small notepad handy and
allows me to scribble notes with one hand -- i don't have to fish for the
pad, and i don't have to hold it in place when i write.

> I write notes on a small spiral notepad, preferably with a pen. Everything
> else goes into a little bag or a pocket where I can reach it when I need it.
> There is absolutely no need to have everything spread out in front of you
> all of the time. A simple clipboard is sufficient for your cross country
> navigation log.

here i would agree -- i don't have everything spread out in front of me.
but i do like having my notepad secured.

> As Rod Machado points out, a pilot still needs a few kneeboards for the
> kneeboard clapping dances we do during our secret rituals in abandoned
> hangars at night. These should be large and heavy and hard so as to make the
> maximum clapping noise.

do you have an aresti diagram of the "kneeboard clapping dance"? please
share it. :-) :-)

g_a

Paul Sengupta
February 17th 04, 04:16 PM
I use a clipboard which was about $2 from K-Mart.

Since it's US paper sized and a bit too small for A4, if I need
more paper I have to get it while I'm in the US!

I really should invest another £3 or so for an A4 sized one.
But then you know what us pilots are like with spending
money unnecessarily.

Paul

"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> A simple clipboard is sufficient for your cross country
> navigation log.

Jay Smith
February 17th 04, 04:56 PM
gross_arrow wrote:
> do you have an aresti diagram of the "kneeboard clapping dance"? please
> share it. :-) :-)

1982 or 1983, I did design a Aresti "OhiO" sequence. Some people saw it
and actually went out and practiced it.

O... Loop
h... Vertical to Tailslide with half-roll to Spin
i... Hammerhead
O... Loop

John Galban
February 17th 04, 07:21 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message >...

> Do you see a lot of professional pilots using kneeboards? Does your
> instructor use one?

I'd have to answer "yes" to that one. Of course, those profesional
pilots happen to work for Uncle Sam in cramped fighter cockpits. When
flying VFR, those kneeboards generally hold strip charts of the route
of flight and some scratch paper.

I use a kneeboard for some flights. It makes it easier for me to
copy clearances, weather, etc... with one hand while I fly the plane
with the other.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Jay Smith
February 17th 04, 08:41 PM
I use a kneeboard for flight/fuel logging and have a pad for notes
(weather, clearance, etc). A mechanical pencil is attached via a 24"
lanyard so if it is dropped, it can be retrieved. Frequency changes are
recorded along with the time issued and facility.
I have a wide lapboard for IFR flight.
The lapboard holds approach plates expected for available approaches,
an open sectional and IFR charts for the area being flown, a copy of the
flight plan.
The lapboard sets beside the seat when not actively being used. Cockpit
organization is simplified.

Morgans
February 17th 04, 09:11 PM
"Jay Smith" > wrote in message
> gross_arrow wrote:
> > do you have an aresti diagram of the "kneeboard clapping dance"? please
> > share it. :-) :-)
>
> 1982 or 1983, I did design a Aresti "OhiO" sequence. Some people saw it
> and actually went out and practiced it.
>
> O... Loop
> h... Vertical to Tailslide with half-roll to Spin
> i... Hammerhead
> O... Loop

It's round on the ends, and high in the middle!

Jim in NC
TBDBITL Alumni 76-80

---

Dennis O'Connor
February 18th 04, 01:37 PM
OK, and don't allow the airspeed to accidentally exceed 250 knots while you
are doing that, John...
denny
"John Galban" > wrote in > I use a kneeboard for some
flights. It makes it easier for me to
> copy clearances, weather, etc... with one hand while I fly the plane
> with the other.
>
> John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

McGregor
February 18th 04, 10:26 PM
> Do you see a lot of professional pilots using kneeboards? Does your
> instructor use one?

My old instructor (he flew B25s in WWII) always flew with:
leather gloves,
baseball cap,
aviator glasses (even on cloudy days)
and no knee board.

He said he'd worn the same items while flying for so long that he didn't
feel right without them. Ditto for my kneeboard. Without that strap on my
thigh I feel naked.

Global Wealth Builders, Inc.
February 19th 04, 05:49 AM
"McGregor" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> > Do you see a lot of professional pilots using kneeboards? Does your
> > instructor use one?
>
> My old instructor (he flew B25s in WWII) always flew with:
> leather gloves,
> baseball cap,
> aviator glasses (even on cloudy days)
> and no knee board.

I fly for a major airline and to date, I have yet to see any of our
professional pilots don a kneeboard. My flight kit usually includes copies
of company manuals, Jeppesen charts, pens, a calculator, a scab list, the
most current copy of Maxim or Playboy, a bag of tootsie rolls, chewing gum,
Sani-Com moist towelettes to clean off our O2 and communications equipment,
my passport and a fork and knife (plastic, of course). About the closest
thing I have to a kneeboard is a small 1" Jeppesen binder which I put my
monthly 'trip kit' into which contains all of the plates for airports I will
be visiting that month. That binder usually sits on the table to my side so
that I can reference it during flight.

Even back in the day when I was instructing, I always preached that less is
more when it comes to equipping yourself for flight. About all you really
need to safely fly your aircraft is a flashlight and a map. And maybe a pen
in your pocket.

Regards,

Ryan R. Healy
Chicago, IL

Paul Tomblin
February 19th 04, 12:50 PM
In a previous article, "Global Wealth Builders, Inc." > said:
>I fly for a major airline and to date, I have yet to see any of our
>professional pilots don a kneeboard. My flight kit usually includes copies
>be visiting that month. That binder usually sits on the table to my side so
>that I can reference it during flight.

"table"? No wonder you don't need a knee board. In the cramped confines
of a general aviation cockpit, we don't have tables, nor do we have time
for masturbation, so we use kneeboards and we don't consider "the latest
Maxim" to be essential flight materials.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
AFAICT, most national capitals have already reached bogon criticality,

Gregg Germain
February 19th 04, 02:01 PM
I find a kneeboard to be quite useful in a 152. It's has 3 flaps the
center being the clipboard.

On the clipboard I have my checklists, scratchpad, and the clipboard
itself has handy dandy info like what transponder code to tune to if
you've lost your radio and what the light signals from the tower
means when they are trying to communicate with you via flasher.

The right hand flap - which hangs down, has a clear plastic cover so
I can keep an enlarged xerox copy of the strange airport I'm flying
towards

I think that until I get to the exalted position of having a table
off to the side I'll stick with the kneeboard.

--- Gregg
"Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Phone: (617) 496-1558

Jay Smith
February 19th 04, 02:13 PM
Global Wealth Builders, Inc. wrote:
> That binder usually sits on the table to my side so
> that I can reference it during flight.

Is that like a nightstand? :-))
Who needs a kneeboard when you have a table built into the cockpit!

Peter R.
February 19th 04, 03:53 PM
Global Wealth Builders, Inc. ) wrote:

> Even back in the day when I was instructing, I always preached that less is
> more when it comes to equipping yourself for flight. About all you really
> need to safely fly your aircraft is a flashlight and a map. And maybe a pen
> in your pocket.

So, where does a GA pilot write down those complex IFR clearances out of
class B airports? On his arm?

Seems to me that someone is forgetting that not all cockpits are luxury
suites.

--
Peter

Global Wealth Builders, Inc.
February 19th 04, 10:33 PM
"Jay Smith" > wrote in message
> Global Wealth Builders, Inc. wrote:
> > That binder usually sits on the table to my side so
> > that I can reference it during flight.
>
> Is that like a nightstand? :-))
> Who needs a kneeboard when you have a table built into the cockpit!

Well, maybe table was the wrong choice of words but we do have several nice
flat surfaces to build our nest upon ... But in any case, in the thousands
of hours I flew GA, I never bothered with the kneeboard. Some students of
mine would come for their lessons with very elaborate contraptions which
they would attach to themselves for the purposes of organization, however in
most cases, they'd just end up getting entangled in headset wires, or worse,
restrict full movement of the yoke. In terms of cockpit organization, I
still maintain that less is more. It is amazing how effectively simple a
navigation chart, pen and small pad of paper can be.

Unfortunately, I'm just not a poster boy for Sporty's Pilot Shop. I did
however have one instrument student who was Hal Shever's wet dream. This
guy would come to his lessons with two full duffel bags just full of
Sporty's sh** (I'm not exaggerating). I told him that the first time any of
his crap got entangled with the flight controls, it was all staying on the
ground from that point on. I think we made it to the runup area before the
gaggle of wires got hold of the yoke. From that point on, he was allowed
his charts, a pad of paper no bigger than the complimentary paper found in a
hotel room, and a pen.

-RH

Global Wealth Builders, Inc.
February 19th 04, 10:40 PM
"Peter R." > wrote in message
> Global Wealth Builders, Inc. ) wrote:
>
> > Even back in the day when I was instructing, I always preached that less
is
> > more when it comes to equipping yourself for flight. About all you
really
> > need to safely fly your aircraft is a flashlight and a map. And maybe a
pen
> > in your pocket.
>
> So, where does a GA pilot write down those complex IFR clearances out of
> class B airports? On his arm?
>
> Seems to me that someone is forgetting that not all cockpits are luxury
> suites.

True enough, however in light aircraft where available room is at a premium,
it makes sense to minimize your collection of paraphenalia to that which is
absolutely necessary. Any of us can fly an airplane IFR using our charts, a
small pad of paper and a pen. What else do you honestly need?

I've always been amazed with those who carry 6 flashlights, spare batteries,
reams of paper of all color and sizes, sticky notes, highlighters in every
color, a kneeboard, backup kneeboard with light, pens, pencils, pencil
sharpeners, etc.

Every pilot should take inventory of his collection of junk and keep on the
ground that which he hasn't used after 3 flights. It's just not necessary.

-RH

Global Wealth Builders, Inc.
February 19th 04, 10:46 PM
"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> In a previous article, "Global Wealth Builders, Inc."
> said:
> >I fly for a major airline and to date, I have yet to see any of our
> >professional pilots don a kneeboard. My flight kit usually includes
copies
> >be visiting that month. That binder usually sits on the table to my side
so
> >that I can reference it during flight.
>
> "table"? No wonder you don't need a knee board. In the cramped confines
> of a general aviation cockpit, we don't have tables, nor do we have time
> for masturbation, so we use kneeboards and we don't consider "the latest
> Maxim" to be essential flight materials.

Ordinarily, we do not masturbate on the flight deck. We ring the flight
attendant call button. :)

-RH

Jay Smith
February 20th 04, 12:48 AM
Global Wealth Builders, Inc. wrote:
> Every pilot should take inventory of his collection of junk and keep on the
> ground that which he hasn't used after 3 flights. It's just not necessary.

As a renter, you really don't have a choice but to carry all your
paraphenalia with you. It takes me 15 minutes to make my nest for a long
cross-country. I carry two medium duffles; one for flight gear, the
second for IFR charts. The contents can be reduced depending on the
length of the trip. The purpose of the duffles is to speed departure
from the destination airport. With the duffles, you can just dump all
the gear in loosely and neatly put it away later.

Standard cockpit setup includes:
4-6 headsets, two yoke mount PTT's
1 multi-port cigarette lighter adaptor
1 portable intercom
1 handheld GPS and remote antenna
1 handheld nav/com radio
1 kneeboard w/flight log, pad and pencil
1 lapboard w/charts and flight plan

Peter R.
February 20th 04, 01:46 AM
Global Wealth Builders, Inc. wrote:

> True enough, however in light aircraft where available room is at a premium,
> it makes sense to minimize your collection of paraphenalia to that which is
> absolutely necessary. Any of us can fly an airplane IFR using our charts, a
> small pad of paper and a pen. What else do you honestly need?

Instrument cover, E6B, and a flashlight. :)

--
Peter

Wade
February 21st 04, 04:10 AM
Peter R. wrote:
> Global Wealth Builders, Inc. wrote:
<snip>
>> ... Any of us can fly an airplane IFR using our charts, a
>>small pad of paper and a pen. What else do you honestly need?
>

> Instrument cover, E6B, and a flashlight. :)

Checklists?

Morgans
February 21st 04, 04:24 AM
"Wade" > wrote in message
. ..
> Peter R. wrote:
> > Global Wealth Builders, Inc. wrote:
> <snip>
> >> ... Any of us can fly an airplane IFR using our charts, a
> >>small pad of paper and a pen. What else do you honestly need?
> >

> > Instrument cover, E6B, and a flashlight. :)
>
> Checklists?

Why does everyone get all defensive about what other people want to bring?
Different things for different people. Some may need more help than others,
and some just like stuff. As long as it does not prevent keeping eyes
outside the cockpit, go for it.

After reading one story recently, some people commented about a smoke hood.
Other things, when everything goes to hell. Backup radio, cell phone,
portable gps, survival gear and food, and so on. The list fits the need of
the individual, and the mission.
--
Jim (gadgets are us) in NC

---

cjbgroups
February 21st 04, 05:38 PM
"Global Wealth Builders, Inc." > wrote in message
link.net...
> "Peter R." > wrote in message
> > Global Wealth Builders, Inc. ) wrote:

> Every pilot should take inventory of his collection of junk and keep on
the
> ground that which he hasn't used after 3 flights. It's just not
necessary.

> -RH

Emergencies don't occur every 3 flights, which is why the prudent pilot will
carry several flashlights, extra pencils, manuals, backup gear, etc. Single
pilot GA flight is a different environment from airline flight, so we're
talking about two different things.

Google