PDA

View Full Version : VFR Maps

Paul
February 16th 04, 01:33 AM
A couple of months ago, I saw a posting concerning a guy who made an
"online" mapping of VFR maps all over America.

On the web site, you have to give the coordinate of "quadrant" and all the
maps appears... This is what I remember...

If you're the guy, can you give me details ?

Paul

--
Paul

Kyler Laird
February 16th 04, 02:25 PM
"Paul" > writes:

>A couple of months ago, I saw a posting

Google is your friend.

> concerning a guy who made an
>"online" mapping of VFR maps all over America.

I stitch the FAA sectional images together and then manipulate them.

>On the web site, you have to give the coordinate of "quadrant" and all the
>maps appears... This is what I remember...

It's gotten easier. The compilation is still broken into "chunks" but
now I can create images of arbitrary regions by combining the chunks.
I rarely expose the chunks but you can still get to them
http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/chunked/
and the original data.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/sectionals/

>If you're the guy, can you give me details ?

The easiest way to get what you want is to go through my old nearby
airport locator.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/nearby_airports
If you want the sectional around a city, just enter the city and
state. Then select the "[sectional]" link.

If you want to see a route, provide an "other airport" identifier and
then select one of the "[sectional route]" links.

You can also just start here
https://aviationtoolbox.org/members/kyler/tools/map_explorer
and manually select the area of interest.

--kyler

Google