PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Real F/A 18 Hornet for sale on Ebay

One's Too Many
February 16th 04, 03:53 PM
Claims to be a former Blue Angels ship. Current bid at a little over a
million dollars. They also claim that for 9 million, they'll
re-assemble it, paint it, and render it airworthy. Has an N-number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078059896&category=4672

Additional story on AP news website

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040216/D80OBH900.html

Kevin Hill
February 16th 04, 06:30 PM
isn't this the one that belly flopped?

"One's Too Many" > wrote in message
om...
> Claims to be a former Blue Angels ship. Current bid at a little over a
> million dollars. They also claim that for 9 million, they'll
> re-assemble it, paint it, and render it airworthy. Has an N-number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078059896&category=4672

> Additional story on AP news website
>
> http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040216/D80OBH900.html

Jeff Franks
February 16th 04, 09:31 PM
You might be thinking of the F-16 that the Thunderbirds toasted this past
summer. Although that picture, sure looks like he's close to doing the
same :)

"Kevin Hill" > wrote in message
> isn't this the one that belly flopped?
>

> "One's Too Many" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Claims to be a former Blue Angels ship. Current bid at a little over a
> > million dollars. They also claim that for 9 million, they'll
> > re-assemble it, paint it, and render it airworthy. Has an N-number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078059896&category=4672

> > Additional story on AP news website
> >
> > http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040216/D80OBH900.html

Mike O'Malley
February 17th 04, 01:34 AM
"One's Too Many" > wrote in message
om...
> Claims to be a former Blue Angels ship. Current bid at a little over a
> million dollars. They also claim that for 9 million, they'll
> re-assemble it, paint it, and render it airworthy. Has an N-number.

Why is it when any of these high dollar, unique items on Ebay get large
media coverage, a few yahoos have to go and make fake bids to insane levels?
Unless someone is REALLY willing to spend 100 million on a used,
demilitarized, obsolete fighter jet. I think a new one from Boeing is
cheaper than that!

Tom|420
February 17th 04, 06:58 AM
Mike O'Malley wrote:

> Why is it when any of these high dollar, unique items on Ebay get large
> media coverage, a few yahoos have to go and make fake bids to insane levels?
> Unless someone is REALLY willing to spend 100 million on a used,
> demilitarized, obsolete fighter jet. I think a new one from Boeing is
> cheaper than that!

Current Bid: US $27,000,000.00

Dennis O'Connor
February 17th 04, 12:48 PM
Yeah, from some pimple faced, 14 year old...

"Tom|420" > wrote in message
.. .
> Mike O'Malley wrote:
>
> > Why is it when any of these high dollar, unique items on Ebay get large
> > media coverage, a few yahoos have to go and make fake bids to insane
levels?
> > Unless someone is REALLY willing to spend 100 million on a used,
> > demilitarized, obsolete fighter jet. I think a new one from Boeing is
> > cheaper than that!
> >

> Current Bid: US $27,000,000.00

S Narayan
February 17th 04, 04:44 PM
Looks like it has been pulled from the listings. It was there yesterday.

"One's Too Many" > wrote in message
om...
> Claims to be a former Blue Angels ship. Current bid at a little over a
> million dollars. They also claim that for 9 million, they'll
> re-assemble it, paint it, and render it airworthy. Has an N-number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078059896&category=4672

> Additional story on AP news website
>
> http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040216/D80OBH900.html

Dennis O'Connor
February 17th 04, 07:12 PM
It's amazing what a visit from the BATF will do for the mindset of an
executive, even one as tough as the lady CEO at Ebay...
There simply is no way the government is going to allow a supersonic fighter
to be sold into private hands without their approval... The fella that has
them is going to get a lot of heat put to his feet before this is over...
denny

"S Narayan" > wrote in message
> Looks like it has been pulled from the listings. It was there yesterday.

rgb
February 17th 04, 07:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4672&item=3079057375

S Narayan wrote:
> Looks like it has been pulled from the listings. It was there yesterday.
>

> "One's Too Many" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Claims to be a former Blue Angels ship. Current bid at a little over a
>>million dollars. They also claim that for 9 million, they'll
>>re-assemble it, paint it, and render it airworthy. Has an N-number.
>>

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078059896&category=4672
>
>>Additional story on AP news website
>>
>>http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040216/D80OBH900.html

S Narayan
February 17th 04, 09:40 PM
The listing is back and sold for $99.999 million. A lot of bidders were just
fooling around!

"rgb" > wrote in message
. ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4672&item=3079057375

> S Narayan wrote:
> > Looks like it has been pulled from the listings. It was there yesterday.
> >

> > "One's Too Many" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >
> >>Claims to be a former Blue Angels ship. Current bid at a little over a
> >>million dollars. They also claim that for 9 million, they'll
> >>re-assemble it, paint it, and render it airworthy. Has an N-number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078059896&category=4672

> >>Additional story on AP news website
> >>
> >>http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040216/D80OBH900.html

Cockpit Colin
February 17th 04, 11:45 PM
Even though most of the bids were bogus, I guess the seller always has the
option of working back through the bids to see if any were genuine. I'd
think of it as being more of a promotional exercise than any real hope of a
sale.

"S Narayan" > wrote in message
> The listing is back and sold for $99.999 million. A lot of bidders were
just
> fooling around!
>
> "rgb" > wrote in message
> . ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4672&item=3079057375

> > S Narayan wrote:
> > > Looks like it has been pulled from the listings. It was there
yesterday.

> > > "One's Too Many" > wrote in message
> > > om...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078059896&category=4672

John Galban
February 18th 04, 09:38 PM
"Dennis O'Connor" > wrote in message >...
> It's amazing what a visit from the BATF will do for the mindset of an
> executive, even one as tough as the lady CEO at Ebay...
> There simply is no way the government is going to allow a supersonic fighter
> to be sold into private hands without their approval... The fella that has
> them is going to get a lot of heat put to his feet before this is over...

BATF? Unless the plane is still armed, why would they be involved?

There are ways around government disapproval. I used to see an
F-104 Starfighter at airshows that was privately owned. The gov. did
not approve of private citizens buying one of these, but there wasn't
a whole lot they could do about this guy. He built the entire plane
from spare parts he picked up from sources around the world (mostly
Germany,IIRC).

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

William W. Plummer
February 19th 04, 01:28 AM
The Collings Foundation owns (privately) an F-4D (supersonic) in addtion to
its B-17, B-24 and other warbirds. Refer to
http://www.collingsfoundation.org .

"John Galban" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dennis O'Connor" > wrote in message
> > It's amazing what a visit from the BATF will do for the mindset of an
> > executive, even one as tough as the lady CEO at Ebay...
> > There simply is no way the government is going to allow a supersonic
fighter
> > to be sold into private hands without their approval... The fella that
has
> > them is going to get a lot of heat put to his feet before this is
over...

> BATF? Unless the plane is still armed, why would they be involved?
>
> There are ways around government disapproval. I used to see an
> F-104 Starfighter at airshows that was privately owned. The gov. did
> not approve of private citizens buying one of these, but there wasn't
> a whole lot they could do about this guy. He built the entire plane
> from spare parts he picked up from sources around the world (mostly
> Germany,IIRC).
>
> John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Dennis O'Connor
February 19th 04, 02:55 PM
The foundation is 'relatively' trusted and the aircraft was acquired pre
9/11... It's a whole new world out here, now... The guys who have Mig 15's
etc., are discovering that...

I have a whole bunch of money to wager with anyone who believes that YOU can
now simply hand someone a bearer note from a swiss bank for a Mach 2.7
fighter, complete with missile racks, electronics, and red fire control
switches, and disappear down the road with it, no questions asked....
jeezzzzz, I just love a sure bet...

denny

"There are ways around government disapproval. I used to see an
> > F-104 Starfighter at airshows that was privately owned. The gov. did
> > not approve of private citizens buying one of these, but there wasn't
> > a whole lot they could do about this guy.

DeltaDeltaDelta
February 19th 04, 04:32 PM
what will they sell next? A B-52 in executive layout? :)

Triple Delta

"Cockpit Colin" > wrote in message
> Even though most of the bids were bogus, I guess the seller always has the
> option of working back through the bids to see if any were genuine. I'd
> think of it as being more of a promotional exercise than any real hope of
> sale.
>

> "S Narayan" > wrote in message
> > The listing is back and sold for $99.999 million. A lot of bidders were
> just
> > fooling around!
> >
> > "rgb" > wrote in message
> > . ..