PDA

View Full Version : Air Force One at Daytona

Michael 182
February 16th 04, 05:44 PM
I promise, promise, promise there is no political agenda here. I just think
this is a great photo. Don't know how far the runway is from the stands, but
the illusion is that the wings are practically over the race crowd.

Michael

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C43163D67

Gig Giacona
February 16th 04, 06:10 PM
"Michael 182" > wrote in message
> I promise, promise, promise there is no political agenda here. I just
think
> this is a great photo. Don't know how far the runway is from the stands,
but
> the illusion is that the wings are practically over the race crowd.
>
> Michael
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?C43163D67

Close

https://aviationtoolbox.org/Members/kyler/tools/map_explorer?image=1893241%2
C-766011%2C100&scale=100&selected.x=38&selected.y=335

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?S17232D67

Jay Beckman
February 16th 04, 06:14 PM
"Michael 182" > wrote in message
> I promise, promise, promise there is no political agenda here. I just
think
> this is a great photo. Don't know how far the runway is from the stands,
but
> the illusion is that the wings are practically over the race crowd.
>
> Michael
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?C43163D67

If you look over the backside of the Daytona "Superstretch" Grandstands, you
are looking right down on the airport.

There is some telephoto compression in that photo but not a lot!

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Student Pilot

SFM
February 16th 04, 08:07 PM
Gee I wonder if the pilot of AF1 in violation of the stadium and sports
gathering NOTAM??

;-)

Catch the wave!
www.hamwave.com

**"A long time ago being crazy meant something, nowadays everyone is
crazy" -- Charles Manson**
-------------------------------------
"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> "Michael 182" > wrote in message
> > I promise, promise, promise there is no political agenda here. I just
> think
> > this is a great photo. Don't know how far the runway is from the stands,
> but
> > the illusion is that the wings are practically over the race crowd.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C43163D67
> >

> If you look over the backside of the Daytona "Superstretch" Grandstands,
you
> are looking right down on the airport.
>
> There is some telephoto compression in that photo but not a lot!
>
> Jay Beckman
> Chandler, AZ
> Student Pilot

G.R. Patterson III
February 16th 04, 08:23 PM
SFM wrote:

> Gee I wonder if the pilot of AF1 in violation of the stadium and sports
> gathering NOTAM??

I believe that does not apply to U.S. military aircraft.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.

Frederick Wilson
February 16th 04, 10:35 PM
That is not the case. When we fly army helicopters we have to abide by all
those TFRs aswell

Fred

"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> SFM wrote:
> >
> > Gee I wonder if the pilot of AF1 in violation of the stadium and sports
> > gathering NOTAM??
>
> I believe that does not apply to U.S. military aircraft.
>
> George Patterson
> A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way
that
> you look forward to the trip.

Chuck
February 17th 04, 12:18 AM
"Frederick Wilson" > wrote in message
> That is not the case. When we fly army helicopters we have to abide by all
> those TFRs aswell

<snip>

I would imagine that Air Force One can fly anywhere it anywhere it damn well
pleases... :)

---

BTIZ
February 17th 04, 12:33 AM
There should have been a presidential TFR in addition to the standard "crowd
/ event" TFR.. guess which takes priority..

If the airport is that close to the race track, then I'm sure everyone had
to be on a clearance and in ATC contact to land there during the race.

Glad our local NASCAR track is far from the local airports, but the local AF
Base is within the standard "crowd / event" TFR radius, and I'm sure they
don't stand down on race week.

BT

"Chuck" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Frederick Wilson" > wrote in message
> > That is not the case. When we fly army helicopters we have to abide by
all
> > those TFRs aswell
> >

> <snip>
>

> I would imagine that Air Force One can fly anywhere it anywhere it damn
well
> pleases... :)
>

> ---

Stuart King
February 17th 04, 01:40 AM
It seems unsafe.....so many people so close to the flying whitehouse.

SK

"BTIZ" > wrote in message
> There should have been a presidential TFR in addition to the standard
"crowd
> / event" TFR.. guess which takes priority..
>
> If the airport is that close to the race track, then I'm sure everyone had
> to be on a clearance and in ATC contact to land there during the race.
>
> Glad our local NASCAR track is far from the local airports, but the local
AF
> Base is within the standard "crowd / event" TFR radius, and I'm sure they
> don't stand down on race week.
>
> BT
>
> "Chuck" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "Frederick Wilson" > wrote in message
> > > That is not the case. When we fly army helicopters we have to abide by
> all
> > > those TFRs aswell
> > >

> > <snip>
> >

> > I would imagine that Air Force One can fly anywhere it anywhere it damn
> well
> > pleases... :)
> >

> > ---

G.R. Patterson III
February 17th 04, 01:48 AM
Stuart King wrote:

> It seems unsafe.....so many people so close to the flying whitehouse.

Absolutely. In my opinion, the president should be kept as far away from any
other human being as possible at all times. Can't tell who might be a terrorist.
They have that moon base up and running yet?

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.

C J Campbell
February 17th 04, 01:55 AM
"SFM" > wrote in message
> Gee I wonder if the pilot of AF1 in violation of the stadium and sports
> gathering NOTAM??

The notam does not apply to military, rescue, or police aircraft that are in
the TFR on official business, nor does it apply to aircraft on approach or
departing from an airfield.

CFLav8r
February 17th 04, 03:11 AM
> I promise, promise, promise there is no political agenda here. I just
think
> this is a great photo. Don't know how far the runway is from the stands,
but
> the illusion is that the wings are practically over the race crowd.
>
> Michael

I have posted a picture of Daytona from the air that I took on a trip from
St.Augustine to Titusville.
The picture shows quite clearly how close the track is to the runway.
The link for the picture is
http://home.cfl.rr.com/floridaaviator/images/072ml.jpg

David (KORL)
PP-ASEL

BTIZ
February 17th 04, 06:09 AM
Thanx... looks like the perfect airport neighbor.. a noisy track..

BT

"CFLav8r" > wrote in message
> > I promise, promise, promise there is no political agenda here. I just
> think
> > this is a great photo. Don't know how far the runway is from the stands,
> but
> > the illusion is that the wings are practically over the race crowd.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> I have posted a picture of Daytona from the air that I took on a trip from
> St.Augustine to Titusville.
> The picture shows quite clearly how close the track is to the runway.
> The link for the picture is
> http://home.cfl.rr.com/floridaaviator/images/072ml.jpg
>
> David (KORL)
> PP-ASEL

Ash Wyllie
February 17th 04, 11:55 AM
Frederick Wilson opined

>That is not the case. When we fly army helicopters we have to abide by all
>those TFRs aswell

Of course, we all know how untrustworthy Army Aviation is.

>"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message
>>

>> SFM wrote:
>> >
>> > Gee I wonder if the pilot of AF1 in violation of the stadium and sports
>> > gathering NOTAM??
>>
>> I believe that does not apply to U.S. military aircraft.
>>
>> George Patterson
>> A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way
>that
>> you look forward to the trip.

-ash
Cthulhu for President!
Why vote for a lesser evil?

Trent Moorehead
February 17th 04, 01:35 PM
"Michael 182" > wrote in message
> I promise, promise, promise there is no political agenda here. I just
think
> this is a great photo. Don't know how far the runway is from the stands,
but
> the illusion is that the wings are practically over the race crowd.
>
> Michael
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?C43163D67

The picture looks foreshortened, I guess due to a zoom lens, making it look
close to the crowd. While it is close, it's not *that* close!

What I thought was really impressive was when AF-1 circled the track at a
low altitude. I believe that may have been the first time I've ever seen a
747 do that. That thing is BIG. Gave me chills and made me strangely nervous
at the same time.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

G.R. Patterson III
February 17th 04, 01:56 PM
BTIZ wrote:

> Thanx... looks like the perfect airport neighbor.. a noisy track..

We have found that the combination works well at Old Bridge, NJ. Local residents
tend to complain more about the drag strip than the airport. They're outnumbered
by the race fans.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.

Chuck
February 17th 04, 02:45 PM
"BTIZ" > wrote in message

<snip>

> Glad our local NASCAR track is far from the local airports, but the local
AF
> Base is within the standard "crowd / event" TFR radius, and I'm sure they
> don't stand down on race week.

<snip>

Hey BTIZ,

Where you from? What is your local NASCAR track? Just wondering...

---

John Harlow
February 17th 04, 03:43 PM
> What I thought was really impressive was when AF-1 circled the track
> at a low altitude. I believe that may have been the first time I've
> ever seen a 747 do that. That thing is BIG. Gave me chills and made
> me strangely nervous at the same time.

Were you "shocked and awed"?

Paul Sengupta
February 17th 04, 03:57 PM
Where I buy my fuel, Thruxton airfield, is in the middle of a race
track. In fact, like a lot of race tracks in the UK, it grew out of an
airfield perimeter track.

The airfield is closed on race days, but at least it's been kept as an
active airfield.

I've flown a Bulldog and a Chipmunk from Daytona.

Paul

"BTIZ" > wrote in message
> If the airport is that close to the race track, then I'm sure everyone had
> to be on a clearance and in ATC contact to land there during the race.
>
> Glad our local NASCAR track is far from the local airports

Gary Drescher
February 17th 04, 04:59 PM
"Trent Moorehead" > wrote in message

> "Michael 182" > wrote in message
> > I promise, promise, promise there is no political agenda here. I just
> think
> > this is a great photo. Don't know how far the runway is from the stands,
> but
> > the illusion is that the wings are practically over the race crowd.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C43163D67
>
> The picture looks foreshortened, I guess due to a zoom lens, making it
look
> close to the crowd. While it is close, it's not *that* close!

Yup. Looking at a map, it seems it would've been half a mile or a mile
away.

--Gary

Ron Natalie
February 17th 04, 06:15 PM
"Frederick Wilson" > wrote in message news:vAbYb.325202$I06.3326541@attbi_s01...
> That is not the case. When we fly army helicopters we have to abide by all
> those TFRs aswell

Only because the Army has adopted that policy.

Ron Natalie
February 17th 04, 06:16 PM
"Chuck" > wrote in message nk.net...

> Where you from? What is your local NASCAR track? Just wondering...

Our local NASCAR track (Old Dominion Speedway) is just inside HEF's class D.

The dirt track at Winchester is right under the base leg for the runway.

C J Campbell
February 17th 04, 06:39 PM
"Ash Wyllie" > wrote in message
> Frederick Wilson opined
>
> >That is not the case. When we fly army helicopters we have to abide by
all
> >those TFRs aswell
>
> Of course, we all know how untrustworthy Army Aviation is.

Absolutely. Although they are not as untrustworthy as the Navy. :-)

But I would be the last to start an interservice flame war on Usenet. Well,
maybe I wouldn't.

Ash Wyllie
February 17th 04, 10:42 PM
C J Campbell opined

>"Ash Wyllie" > wrote in message
>> Frederick Wilson opined
>>
>> >That is not the case. When we fly army helicopters we have to abide by
>all
>> >those TFRs aswell
>>
>> Of course, we all know how untrustworthy Army Aviation is.
>>

>Absolutely. Although they are not as untrustworthy as the Navy. :-)

>But I would be the last to start an interservice flame war on Usenet. Well,
>maybe I wouldn't.

I don't think so. They took all of the armed aircraft away from the Army in
1948. If it weren't for helos sneaking in later the Army would not have any
guns in the skies.

You will note that the Navy got to keep its armed aircraft.

So the Navy is more trustworthy than the Army.

-ash
Cthulhu for President!
Why vote for a lesser evil?

Chris Ehlbeck
February 17th 04, 11:04 PM
Yeah but Daytona Beach Airport and the speedway are right next to each
other.

"Stuart King" > wrote in message
. com...
> It seems unsafe.....so many people so close to the flying whitehouse.
>
> SK
>

> "BTIZ" > wrote in message
> > There should have been a presidential TFR in addition to the standard
> "crowd
> > / event" TFR.. guess which takes priority..
> >
> > If the airport is that close to the race track, then I'm sure everyone
had
> > to be on a clearance and in ATC contact to land there during the race.
> >
> > Glad our local NASCAR track is far from the local airports, but the
local
> AF
> > Base is within the standard "crowd / event" TFR radius, and I'm sure
they
> > don't stand down on race week.
> >
> > BT
> >
> > "Chuck" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> > >
> > > "Frederick Wilson" > wrote in message
> > all
> > > >

> > > <snip>
> > >

> > > I would imagine that Air Force One can fly anywhere it anywhere it
damn
> > well
> > > pleases... :)
> > >

> > > ---

Jay Beckman
February 18th 04, 12:06 AM
"Trent Moorehead" > wrote in message

> "Michael 182" > wrote in message
> > I promise, promise, promise there is no political agenda here. I just
> think
> > this is a great photo. Don't know how far the runway is from the stands,
> but
> > the illusion is that the wings are practically over the race crowd.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C43163D67
>
> The picture looks foreshortened, I guess due to a zoom lens, making it
look
> close to the crowd. While it is close, it's not *that* close!
>
> What I thought was really impressive was when AF-1 circled the track at a
> low altitude. I believe that may have been the first time I've ever seen a
> 747 do that. That thing is BIG. Gave me chills and made me strangely
nervous
> at the same time.
>
> -Trent
> PP-ASEL

IIRC...

Air Force One did a flyby at the Kitty Hawk 100th celebration as well...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Student Pilot
(Got My First .9 Today !!)

Frederick Wilson
February 18th 04, 01:37 AM
Might be the case but I still get paid to fly the ole Huey.

"Ash Wyllie" > wrote in message
> Frederick Wilson opined
>
> >That is not the case. When we fly army helicopters we have to abide by
all
> >those TFRs aswell
>
> Of course, we all know how untrustworthy Army Aviation is.

> >> I believe that does not apply to U.S. military aircraft.
> >>
> >> George Patterson
> >> A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a
way
> >that
> >> you look forward to the trip.
>

> -ash
> Cthulhu for President!
> Why vote for a lesser evil?

BTIZ
February 19th 04, 03:28 AM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> BTIZ wrote:
> >
> > Thanx... looks like the perfect airport neighbor.. a noisy track..
>
> We have found that the combination works well at Old Bridge, NJ. Local
residents
> tend to complain more about the drag strip than the airport. They're
outnumbered
> by the race fans.
>
> George Patterson
> A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way
that
> you look forward to the trip.

Perfect... let the track take the heat for the noise...

BT

Dan Moos
February 19th 04, 07:14 AM
Is it possibly a doctored photo? Look at one of the light standards in the
stands, and the main gear. Looks a little fishy to me.

Of course I know nothing about photography, So I could be way off

John Gaquin
February 19th 04, 02:14 PM
"Dan Moos" > wrote in

> Is it possibly a doctored photo? Look at one of the light standards in the
> stands, and the main gear. Looks a little fishy to me.

What looks out of place, Dan?

G.R. Patterson III
February 19th 04, 06:50 PM
Dan Moos wrote:

> Is it possibly a doctored photo? Look at one of the light standards in the
> stands, and the main gear. Looks a little fishy to me.
>
> Of course I know nothing about photography, So I could be way off

The runway is behind the stands from this viewpoint.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.

Dan Moos
February 19th 04, 08:22 PM
"John Gaquin" > wrote in message

> "Dan Moos" > wrote in
>
> > Is it possibly a doctored photo? Look at one of the light standards in
the
> > stands, and the main gear. Looks a little fishy to me.
>
> What looks out of place, Dan?

The main gear looks like it's kinda "melded" into the stands for lack of a
better word.

As for the light standard, well, I guess I don't know the effects of a
telephoto lens, but to my layman's eyes it appears to be in the path of the
wing. Can the right lense really do this? Especially since the standes and
the plane seem to be equally in focus.

G.R. Patterson III
February 19th 04, 09:10 PM
Dan Moos wrote:

> Can the right lense really do this?

This is called "flattened depth of field" and it makes everything seem to be
about the same distance from the camera. Telephoto lenses are famous for this.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.

Morgans
February 19th 04, 10:04 PM
"Dan Moos" > wrote in message
> Is it possibly a doctored photo? Look at one of the light standards in the
> stands, and the main gear. Looks a little fishy to me.
>
> Of course I know nothing about photography, So I could be way off

It's real. I saw it happen in real time, as I was watching the race. They
didn't show the flyby that others said happened.
--
Jim in NC

---

John Gaquin
February 20th 04, 12:04 AM
"Dan Moos" > wrote in message

> The main gear looks like it's kinda "melded" into the stands for lack of a
> better word.
>
> As for the light standard, well, I guess I don't know the effects of a
> telephoto lens, but to my layman's eyes it appears to be in the path of
the
> wing. Can the right lense really do this? Especially since the standes and
> the plane seem to be equally in focus.

I think it is just the foreshortening effect. Everything is in focus
because telephoto lenses do this with items that are both far from the lense
but at somewhat different distances. Everything gets compressed into
approximately the same depth of field, so the light stanchion looks like it
is about to get sucked into #4. The main gear appears to blend with the
stands because the elements of each are about the same color values. Its
clearly a takeoff picture. Looks like an appropriate flap extension, deck
angle looks about right, and the gear is clearly in transit, as indicated by
the open gear doors.

Dan Moos
February 20th 04, 12:59 AM
"John Gaquin" > wrote in message

> "Dan Moos" > wrote in message
> >
> > The main gear looks like it's kinda "melded" into the stands for lack of
> > better word.
> >
> > As for the light standard, well, I guess I don't know the effects of a
> > telephoto lens, but to my layman's eyes it appears to be in the path of
> the
> > wing. Can the right lense really do this? Especially since the standes
and
> > the plane seem to be equally in focus.
>

> I think it is just the foreshortening effect. Everything is in focus
> because telephoto lenses do this with items that are both far from the
lense
> but at somewhat different distances. Everything gets compressed into
> approximately the same depth of field, so the light stanchion looks like
it
> is about to get sucked into #4. The main gear appears to blend with the
> stands because the elements of each are about the same color values. Its
> clearly a takeoff picture. Looks like an appropriate flap extension, deck
> angle looks about right, and the gear is clearly in transit, as indicated
by
> the open gear doors.

Good enough for me. It is certainly configured properly for takeoff, I just
didn't know that the proper lense would do that. I just learned something
new!

Thanks fellas

Stuart King
February 21st 04, 04:04 PM
So what is that big metal stripe on the belly ? Its like a big metalic
smile. Is that decoration ? or more ?

Stuart

"Dan Moos" > wrote in message

> "John Gaquin" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dan Moos" > wrote in
> >
> > > Is it possibly a doctored photo? Look at one of the light standards in
> the
> > > stands, and the main gear. Looks a little fishy to me.
> >
> > What looks out of place, Dan?
> >

> The main gear looks like it's kinda "melded" into the stands for lack of a
> better word.
>
> As for the light standard, well, I guess I don't know the effects of a
> telephoto lens, but to my layman's eyes it appears to be in the path of
the
> wing. Can the right lense really do this? Especially since the standes and
> the plane seem to be equally in focus.

Chris Schmelzer
February 21st 04, 11:38 PM
In article <vAbYb.325202$I06.3326541@attbi_s01>,
"Frederick Wilson" > wrote:

> That is not the case. When we fly army helicopters we have to abide by all
> those TFRs aswell

We don't when we fly our medical helicopter as Lifeguard....

Jay Beckman
February 23rd 04, 09:02 PM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Dan Moos" > wrote in message
> > Is it possibly a doctored photo? Look at one of the light standards in
the
> > stands, and the main gear. Looks a little fishy to me.
> >
> > Of course I know nothing about photography, So I could be way off
> >

> It's real. I saw it happen in real time, as I was watching the race. They
> didn't show the flyby that others said happened.
> --
> Jim in NC

Actually they did...during the pre-race show...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Student Pilot
..9 Hours ... Nowhere to go but up!

Chuck
February 23rd 04, 09:41 PM
> "Morgans" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dan Moos" > wrote in message
> > > Is it possibly a doctored photo? Look at one of the light standards in
> the
> > > stands, and the main gear. Looks a little fishy to me.
> > >
> > > Of course I know nothing about photography, So I could be way off
> > >

> > It's real. I saw it happen in real time, as I was watching the race.
They
> > didn't show the flyby that others said happened.
> > --
> > Jim in NC
> >

> Actually they did...during the pre-race show...

Yep, I saw the fly-by too...

---

Morgans
February 23rd 04, 11:20 PM
"Jay Beckman" > wrote it happen in real time, as I was
watching the race. They
> > didn't show the flyby that others said happened.
> > --
> > Jim in NC
> >

> Actually they did...during the pre-race show...
>
> Jay Beckman
> Chandler, AZ
> Student Pilot
> .9 Hours ... Nowhere to go but up!

So the flyby was done on the arrival?
--

Jim in NC

---

Jay Beckman
February 24th 04, 07:51 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Jay Beckman" > wrote it happen in real time, as I was
> watching the race. They
> > > didn't show the flyby that others said happened.
> > > --
> > > Jim in NC
> > >

> > Actually they did...during the pre-race show...
> >
> > Jay Beckman
> > Chandler, AZ
> > Student Pilot
> > .9 Hours ... Nowhere to go but up!