PDA

View Full Version : CAP discounts

Tony Cox
February 20th 04, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know what sorts of discounts are offered
to CAP members on aircraft parts, compared to say
buying from Sporty's or Chief?

Any other info on CAP would be most welcome. I'm
weighing up the pros and cons of joining (and I'll need
a new fuel bladder in a few months, shameless mercenary
that I am).

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

mikem
February 21st 04, 01:46 AM
Tony Cox wrote:

> Does anyone know what sorts of discounts are offered
> to CAP members on aircraft parts, compared to say
> buying from Sporty's or Chief?

Hell no. CAP means Come And Pay. The CAP discount at my local
Cessna/Piper parts place is 10%. "My" discount for the same parts is
15%... CAP doesn't pay State Sales Tax; I do.

> Any other info on CAP would be most welcome. I'm
> weighing up the pros and cons of joining (and I'll need
> a new fuel bladder in a few months, shameless mercenary
> that I am).

I met my primary flight instructor in CAP. He taught me for free.

I met my AP/AI in CAP. He does my inspections at a very low cost.

I met a lot of lifelong friends in CAP. We go flying on non CAP outings.

I learned a lot about Mountain flying, Search and Rescue, ELT hunting,
Search Mission management, Incident command, communication in CAP.

I have logged more than 500 hours of CAP flying.

I personally found several dead people and saved several lives while in CAP.

I also learned to hate bull**** paperwork, officious ex-military pricks,
brown noses, politics, and uniforms.

I have been a CAP member for more than 25 years, but the last mentioned
has gotten to me. I still pay my dues, but no longer participate.

MikeM, LtC CAP
Skylane '1MM
Pacer '00Z

Tony Cox
February 21st 04, 03:58 PM
"mikem" > wrote in message

> Tony Cox wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what sorts of discounts are offered
> > to CAP members on aircraft parts, compared to say
> > buying from Sporty's or Chief?
>
> Hell no. CAP means Come And Pay. The CAP discount at my local
> Cessna/Piper parts place is 10%. "My" discount for the same parts is
> 15%... CAP doesn't pay State Sales Tax; I do.

What about their depot in Texas? Same there? This doesn't
seem too encouraging.

> I learned a lot about Mountain flying, Search and Rescue, ELT hunting,
> Search Mission management, Incident command, communication in CAP.
>
> I personally found several dead people and saved several lives while in
CAP.

These are the things that are important to me...

> I also learned to hate bull**** paperwork, officious ex-military pricks,
> brown noses, politics, and uniforms.

....not this. And my intro meeting was more concerned with the new
requirements for form-filling prior to flight than SAR. That and the
revelation that some accountant had had his fingers in the till for 11
years without being caught (but no doubt correctly filed the proper
paperwork). Not encouraging.

> I have been a CAP member for more than 25 years, but the last mentioned
> has gotten to me. I still pay my dues, but no longer participate.

See what you mean. But why continue paying dues?

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I should direct my altruistic
tendencies to the Angel Flight folks.

Maurice Givens
February 23rd 04, 07:07 PM
"Tony Cox" > wrote in message t>...
> "mikem" > wrote in message
> >

> > Tony Cox wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know what sorts of discounts are offered
> > > to CAP members on aircraft parts, compared to say
> > > buying from Sporty's or Chief?
> >
> > Hell no. CAP means Come And Pay. The CAP discount at my local
> > Cessna/Piper parts place is 10%. "My" discount for the same parts is
> > 15%... CAP doesn't pay State Sales Tax; I do.
>
> What about their depot in Texas? Same there? This doesn't
> seem too encouraging.

No longer exists.

Google