PDA

View Full Version : UK2 AM208 NA MustangMkI.jpg

Joseph Testagrose
February 21st 13, 01:12 PM

Claus Gustafsen
February 22nd 13, 09:40 AM
Anyone know if this is an early test with a Merlin – looks a bit like a Lancaster Nacelle?

Claus
"Joseph Testagrose" > skrev i meddelelsen ...

®i©ardo[_2_]
February 22nd 13, 10:27 AM
On 22/02/2013 09:40, Claus Gustafsen wrote:
> Anyone know if this is an early test with a Merlin – looks a bit like a
> Lancaster Nacelle?
> Claus
> "Joseph Testagrose" > skrev i meddelelsen

"In April 1942, the RAF's Air Fighter Development Unit tested the
Mustang at higher altitudes and found its performance inadequate, but
the commanding officer was so impressed with its maneuverability and
low-altitude speeds that he invited Ronnie Harker from Rolls Royce to
fly it. Rolls-Royce engineers rapidly realized that equipping the
Mustang with a Merlin 61 would substantially improve performance and
started converting five aircraft as the Mustang X.

The result was astonishing: the Mustang X AM208 reached 433 mph at
22,000 ft and AL975 tested at an absolute ceiling of 40,600 ft. After
sustained lobbying at the highest level, American production of a North
American-designed Mustang, with the Packard Merlin V-1650 engine was
started in early 1943. The pairing of the P-51 airframe and Merlin
engine was designated P-51B or P-51C. The RAF named these models
Mustang III. In performance tests, the P-51B reached 441 mph/709.7 km/h
at 25,000 ft (7.600 m) and the subsequent extended range made possible
by the use of drop tanks enabled the Merlin-powered Mustang to be
introduced as a bomber escort."

Extract from:

http://fineartmodels.com/fineartmodels.com/Mustang.html

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!

Claus Gustafsen
February 22nd 13, 02:33 PM
Thanks.

Claus

"®i©ardo" skrev i meddelelsen

On 22/02/2013 09:40, Claus Gustafsen wrote:
> Anyone know if this is an early test with a Merlin – looks a bit like a
> Lancaster Nacelle?
> Claus
> "Joseph Testagrose" > skrev i meddelelsen

"In April 1942, the RAF's Air Fighter Development Unit tested the
Mustang at higher altitudes and found its performance inadequate, but
the commanding officer was so impressed with its maneuverability and
low-altitude speeds that he invited Ronnie Harker from Rolls Royce to
fly it. Rolls-Royce engineers rapidly realized that equipping the
Mustang with a Merlin 61 would substantially improve performance and
started converting five aircraft as the Mustang X.

The result was astonishing: the Mustang X AM208 reached 433 mph at
22,000 ft and AL975 tested at an absolute ceiling of 40,600 ft. After
sustained lobbying at the highest level, American production of a North
American-designed Mustang, with the Packard Merlin V-1650 engine was
started in early 1943. The pairing of the P-51 airframe and Merlin
engine was designated P-51B or P-51C. The RAF named these models
Mustang III. In performance tests, the P-51B reached 441 mph/709.7 km/h
at 25,000 ft (7.600 m) and the subsequent extended range made possible
by the use of drop tanks enabled the Merlin-powered Mustang to be
introduced as a bomber escort."

Extract from:

http://fineartmodels.com/fineartmodels.com/Mustang.html

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!

®i©ardo[_2_]
February 22nd 13, 03:16 PM
On 22/02/2013 14:33, Claus Gustafsen wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Claus
>
> "®i©ardo" skrev i meddelelsen

Jeg er glad for å hjelpe.

Ri©\rdo

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!

Claus Gustafsen
February 23rd 13, 04:45 PM
A little Nordic language - impressive - unless You have relations here.
"®i©ardo" skrev i meddelelsen

On 22/02/2013 14:33, Claus Gustafsen wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Claus
>
> "®i©ardo" skrev i meddelelsen

Jeg er glad for å hjelpe.

Ri©\rdo

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!

®i©ardo[_2_]
February 23rd 13, 04:57 PM
On 23/02/2013 16:45, Claus Gustafsen wrote:
> A little Nordic language - impressive - unless You have relations here.
> "®i©ardo" skrev i meddelelsen
>
> On 22/02/2013 14:33, Claus Gustafsen wrote:
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Claus
>>
>> "®i©ardo" skrev i meddelelsen
>>

> Jeg er glad for å hjelpe.
>
> Ri©\rdo

LOL! I cheated, I used Google Translate. Had it it been Spanish, French
or German it would not have been a problem, but I've yet to attempt the
Nordic tongues. I may do, if I live long enough!

Ri©ardo

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!

Google