PDA

View Full Version : Can gliding become a TV sport?

JP Stewart
February 26th 13, 02:25 PM
Just sharing the link of the webinar help this past Sunday on soaring as a TV sport.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKdI5pnoaAU&feature=youtu.be

JP

Bill D
February 26th 13, 05:15 PM
On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:25:06 AM UTC-7, Jp Stewart wrote:
> Just sharing the link of the webinar help this past Sunday on soaring as a TV sport.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKdI5pnoaAU&feature=youtu.be
>

> JP

This has the potential to completely solve our growth issues. I hope people support it.

Bill Daniels

BobD
February 26th 13, 05:37 PM
To gain a TV audience you need (1) sponsor interest, i.e. financial support, (2) a producer to pull together creative production resources, (3) research to convince a media channel such as a cable or online network that the production will deliver an audience large enough to attract advertisers. The advertising placement and sponsor exposure is where the finances come from to support the production. If the research doesn't realistically reveal an audience potential, it's likely not going to get financial support.

A smaller media venue is required to stage something (such as a grand prix race) as an example of the potential audience. For years sailboat racing has had little success in attracting large audiences. But technology now allows for a broader understanding of what's going on out there. Staging a samll demo of this technology--creatively produced--is what you flash around to lure in sponsors because the test research audience saw the demo and gave it a positive reaction. But even all that demo-ing and research can be expensive to do. You need some serious seed money, not just a cool idea.

Bill D
February 26th 13, 06:00 PM
On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:37:03 AM UTC-7, BobD wrote:
> To gain a TV audience you need (1) sponsor interest, i.e. financial support, (2) a producer to pull together creative production resources, (3) research to convince a media channel such as a cable or online network that the production will deliver an audience large enough to attract advertisers. The advertising placement and sponsor exposure is where the finances come from to support the production. If the research doesn't realistically reveal an audience potential, it's likely not going to get financial support.

Apparently you didn't participate in the webinar. Mario understands all that. It IS a cool idea. It's OK if you don't want to participate but what's the point in discouraging others?

Zaphod Beeblebrox
February 26th 13, 08:51 PM
At 17:37 26 February 2013, BobD wrote:
>To gain a TV audience you need (1) sponsor interest, i.e. financial
>support=
>, (2) a producer to pull together creative production resources, (3)
>resear=
>ch to convince a media channel such as a cable or online network that the
>p=
>roduction will deliver an audience large enough to attract advertisers.
>The=
> advertising placement and sponsor exposure is where the finances come
>from=
> to support the production. If the research doesn't realistically reveal
>an=
> audience potential, it's likely not going to get financial support.
>
>A smaller media venue is required to stage something (such as a grand
prix
>=
>race) as an example of the potential audience. For years sailboat racing
>ha=
>s had little success in attracting large audiences. But technology now
>allo=
>ws for a broader understanding of what's going on out there. Staging a
>saml=
>l demo of this technology--creatively produced--is what you flash around
>to=
> lure in sponsors because the test research audience saw the demo and
gave
>=
>it a positive reaction. But even all that demo-ing and research can be
>expe=
>nsive to do. You need some serious seed money, not just a cool idea.

Watch the web broadcast, listen to some thoughts about why this great sport
has such a tiny, tiny niche, when we all know it should be massive, then
have a look here
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vingaroversverige/wings-over-sweden-0?ref=card
and donate the cost of your next launch. Surely got to be worth a punt!

BobD
February 26th 13, 09:44 PM
On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:00:11 PM UTC-6, Bill D wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:37:03 AM UTC-7, BobD wrote:
>
> > To gain a TV audience you need (1) sponsor interest, i.e. financial support, (2) a producer to pull together creative production resources, (3) research to convince a media channel such as a cable or online network that the production will deliver an audience large enough to attract advertisers. The advertising placement and sponsor exposure is where the finances come from to support the production. If the research doesn't realistically reveal an audience potential, it's likely not going to get financial support.
>

> Apparently you didn't participate in the webinar. Mario understands all that. It IS a cool idea. It's OK if you don't want to participate but what's the point in discouraging others?

Don't need to participate because I work in this industry. And I'm not trying to discourage, just laying out the facts born out of years of failed and successful ventures. With those facts you can decide how to proceed. Repeat: with those facts you can decide how to proceed.

Liam
February 26th 13, 10:59 PM
On Feb 26, 6:25*am, Jp Stewart > wrote:
> Just sharing the link of the webinar help this past Sunday on soaring as a TV sport.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKdI5pnoaAU&feature=youtu.be
>
> JP

The author of this video has put his finger on the central problem
with soaring's image: our dorky looking hats! The solution is
brilliant in its simplicity. Who will be the first competitive pilot
to make a fortune off of his personal line of soaring bandanas?

Dan Marotta
February 27th 13, 12:18 AM
Simply supply the RAS threads to the Discovery Channel and you'll get a
popular reality show!

"If they don't get these rules changed before the season starts, we'll never
get this contest off the ground."

"<Bleep> You! You can't fly worth <Bleep>!"

"Your <Bleeeeeeeeping> crew couldn't pull the wings off a <Bleeping> fly!"

Here, everyone stands around showing off his tattoos while folding his arms
across his chest and scowling at the camera.

Once in a while, there will actually be a glider in the picture.

I don't see how this could fail.

Spring, please bring your warm skies...

"BobD" > wrote in message
[...]

Scott Alexander[_2_]
February 27th 13, 07:20 AM
If racing sailboats or racing bicycles can be a televised sport, then
there's no good reason why Soaring can't be too.

Chris Rollings[_2_]
February 27th 13, 07:34 AM
Wouldn't live broadcasting risk breaching the rule against team flying?

At 07:20 27 February 2013, Scott Alexander wrote:
>If racing sailboats or racing bicycles can be a televised sport, then
>there's no good reason why Soaring can't be too.

Squeaky
February 27th 13, 03:59 PM
Imagine the fun and camera's covering a landout...

Like the one story in Soaring magazine where the buuba's on the four wheelers and the babes in tank tops come out with beer to help...

Or Farmer Bill goes off on a rant about his destroyed peanut plants and the thousands of dollars he wants in recompense, swearing at flyboys havin their fun and not caring about the 'merican farmer...

Glider pilots getting into fights back at the field about sharing thermals, circling the wrong way, near misses, etc...

...you know, all the stuff that never happens until a camera crew turns up.

If that aint reality TV nothing is.

February 27th 13, 04:30 PM
On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:20:09 AM UTC-5, Scott Alexander wrote:
> If racing sailboats or racing bicycles can be a televised sport, then there's no good reason why Soaring can't be too.

How many sailboat races have you watched in the last 5 years?
Some sports get TV support because they are an extension of a sport that the viewer participates, or did participate in, or are a fantasy extension of common activity.
Examples:
Golf- participitory
Tennis- participitory
Sailing- participitory
Cycling- same
Auto racing- fantasy extension
Gliding has the unfortunate position of not falling well into either of these catagories. Also note that the first four are all activities that can be undertaken quite casually and with limited commitment so folks can identify quite easily. Gliding doesn't fall into that catagory.
Skeptical
UH

Bill D
February 27th 13, 05:09 PM
On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:30:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:20:09 AM UTC-5, Scott Alexander wrote:
>
> > If racing sailboats or racing bicycles can be a televised sport, then there's no good reason why Soaring can't be too.
>

> How many sailboat races have you watched in the last 5 years?
>
> Some sports get TV support because they are an extension of a sport that the viewer participates, or did participate in, or are a fantasy extension of common activity.
>
> Examples:
>
> Golf- participitory
>
> Tennis- participitory
>
> Sailing- participitory
>
> Cycling- same
>
> Auto racing- fantasy extension
>
> Gliding has the unfortunate position of not falling well into either of these catagories. Also note that the first four are all activities that can be undertaken quite casually and with limited commitment so folks can identify quite easily. Gliding doesn't fall into that catagory.
>
> Skeptical
>
> UH

Good points but I think they will be overcome.

Glider racing will never be completely "real-time" and clever video editing can increase the pace and excitement. Biased though I am, I think glider racing is enormously more exciting than boat racing.

The masses of TV viewers will never adopt gliding but they don't adopt many other sports either although do enjoy watching them. At any one time our infrastructure can only accept a few thousand newcomers. If TV coverage of glider races could provide those few, we'd be in great shape.

February 27th 13, 05:37 PM
> Glider racing will never be completely "real-time" and clever video editing can increase the pace and excitement. Biased though I am, I think glider racing is enormously more exciting than boat racing.

Bill - Have you watched any of the re-boot of the America's Cup Sailing races. It is pretty spectacular now with immense amounts of data being off-loaded the boats and superimpose don them by the race officuals. It shows what Sailplane GP might become. However, we'll see how the viewership numbers go and if sailing sees any "bump" from the activities this coming summer.

EY

Bill D
February 27th 13, 06:16 PM
On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:37:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> > Glider racing will never be completely "real-time" and clever video editing can increase the pace and excitement. Biased though I am, I think glider racing is enormously more exciting than boat racing.
>

> Bill - Have you watched any of the re-boot of the America's Cup Sailing races. It is pretty spectacular now with immense amounts of data being off-loaded the boats and superimpose don them by the race officuals. It shows what Sailplane GP might become. However, we'll see how the viewership numbers go and if sailing sees any "bump" from the activities this coming summer.
>

> EY

Mario Hytten and his company have cutting edge video technology as good or better than that used with the America's Cup races.

One which caught my eye is "GPS aimed cameras". As I understand it, a system much like FLARM "knows" the relative 3D position of other gliders and uses that information to control glider mounted pan-tilt-zoom video cameras. This automatically and accurately keeps selected gliders in the video frame. That's seriously cool technology. I can't wait to see the videos.

son_of_flubber
February 27th 13, 06:43 PM
On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:09:41 PM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
>At any one time our infrastructure can only accept a few thousand newcomers.

I wonder what the real 'uptake capacity' is? The two clubs that I know can optimistically accept 2-4 new students per year. The student experience breaks down if more than 2-3 students show up.

2-4 new students every year keep the club membership at a constant level, so there is not much incentive to increase the membership. The club gliders are fully booked at the present membership level and availability is already a problem if there is lift.

Sean F (F2)
February 27th 13, 06:54 PM
It's far easier to be skeptical about something than to go after something. Fearing failure is my main pet peeve. In this case someone else is doing ALL of the work and massive upside exists even if he/she is only marginally successful.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Just because those who have tried before have failed is no reason not to try again. We need growth. Growth requires marketing. Grass roots marketing (look around you) only gets you so far.

Here, a guy (Mario Hytten) is trying to build soaring marking against the tide of ourselves. He asks for you to pledge (for example) $50 to kickstarter so he can make our sport ANOTHER amazing soaring video and build awareness. Predictably, many cant find much positive to say about it and spend more effort sighting all the reasons it will fail. Heaven forbid cough up $50 to support it.

Explains a lot really. I donated to this kickstarter project. Why not? How about you?

If you really want to see the sport of soaring truly grow in a meaningful, measurable way, send in some money. If not, please get out of your own way and let those with some vision and guys take over (do the talking) and try and move the ball forward where we have so clearly failed.

Thanks,

Sean

Zaphod Beeblebrox
February 27th 13, 08:28 PM
At 18:54 27 February 2013, Sean F F2 wrote:
>It's far easier to be skeptical about something than to go after
>something.=
> Fearing failure is my main pet peeve. In this case someone else is
>doing=
> ALL of the work and massive upside exists even if he/she is only
>marginall=
>y successful.
>
>You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Just because those who have
>tri=
>ed before have failed is no reason not to try again. We need growth.
>Grow=
>th requires marketing. Grass roots marketing (look around you) only gets
>y=
>ou so far.
>
>Here, a guy (Mario Hytten) is trying to build soaring marking against the
>t=
>ide of ourselves. He asks for you to pledge (for example) $50 to
>kickstart=
>er so he can make our sport ANOTHER amazing soaring video and build
>awarene=
>ss. Predictably, many cant find much positive to say about it and spend
>mo=
>re effort sighting all the reasons it will fail. Heaven forbid cough up
>$5=
>0 to support it.
>
>Explains a lot really. I donated to this kickstarter project. Why not?
>H=
>ow about you?
>
>If you really want to see the sport of soaring truly grow in a
meaningful,
>=
>measurable way, send in some money. If not, please get out of your own
>way=
> and let those with some vision and guys take over (do the talking) and
>try=
> and move the ball forward where we have so clearly failed.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sean

Correct Sean, as I said yesterday it must be worth a punt, get your hands
in your pockets guys and donate the cost of your very next launch to the
Kickstarter fund. The very least you'll get out of it is a great video to
watch next time the clouds are down on the deck.

February 27th 13, 08:57 PM
On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:43:56 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:09:41 PM UTC-5, Bill D wrote: >At any one time our infrastructure can only accept a few thousand newcomers. I wonder what the real 'uptake capacity' is? The two clubs that I know can optimistically accept 2-4 new students per year. The student experience breaks down if more than 2-3 students show up. 2-4 new students every year keep the club membership at a constant level, so there is not much incentive to increase the membership. The club gliders are fully booked at the present membership level and availability is already a problem if there is lift.

One experience point FWIW repeating dropped post.
Our club in SE NY does between 120 and 150 introductory flights a year. We do no advertising except exposure through SSA/Where to fly. This generates 6-10 new members/year, about 75% of whom solo and continue on.
A few years ago we were featured in th NY Times weekend section. This generated a lot of response resulting in somewhere around 400 introductory flights. We also connected many folks with other sites through Where to fly.
The interesting thing about this group was the very low conversion rate even though we handled people exactly the same as normal. We got about 5 or 6 members. The demographic was clearly different. There were a very high percentage of 20 to 30 year olds, almost no teens, and only a moderate number of older people. Our conclusion was that this was a group interested in experiencing gliding, but not interested in doing it.
The marketing benefit was in volume and revenue, but not in membership growth.
FWIW
UH

Bill D
February 27th 13, 09:05 PM
On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:43:56 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:

> I wonder what the real 'uptake capacity' is?

The best estimate based on the number of trainers, tugs and instructors is about 1000 new starts per year in the US. It could be twice that if you take an optimistic view but the number isn't big. To accept a really large number of newcomers, we'd need a huge increase in the number of 2-seat trainers since that's the choke point. We actually have plenty of people with CGI-G certificates, we can fairly quickly increase the number of winches, tugs take longer for all the FAA 337 paperwork but trainers can take years from order to delivery.

Bill D
February 27th 13, 09:17 PM
On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:59:32 AM UTC-7, Squeaky wrote:
> Imagine the fun and camera's covering a landout...
> Like the one story in Soaring magazine where the buuba's on the four
> wheelers and the babes in tank tops come out with beer to help...
>
> > Or Farmer Bill goes off on a rant about his destroyed peanut plants and
> the thousands of dollars he wants in recompense, swearing at flyboys
> havin their fun and not caring about the 'merican farmer...
> >
> Glider pilots getting into fights back at the field about sharing
>
> thermals, circling the wrong way, near misses, etc...
>
> ..you know, all the stuff that never happens until a camera crew turns
>
> up.
> > If that aint reality TV nothing is.

> Squeaky

Funny post. But the proposed event is nothing like what we now know as a competition. It's a short 1 - 2 hour AST with emergency landing fields already picked out. Someone might land in a farm field but it's unlikely and the farmers would have been warned of the possibility and arrangements made.

GC[_2_]
February 28th 13, 06:36 AM
On 28/02/2013 04:09, Bill D wrote:

> Good points but I think they will be overcome.
> The masses of TV viewers will never adopt gliding but they don't
> adopt many other sports either although do enjoy watching them. At
> any one time our infrastructure can only accept a few thousand
> newcomers. If TV coverage of glider races could provide those few,
> we'd be in great shape.

Maybe - but it isn't a shape I want my sport to be in.

I like it as it is and it's as much mine as yours. I'm enjoying my
flying and I enjoy the friends I have in gliding. There is nothing more
I ask from the sport. For me the sport centres on my Club and my flying
field and my local region and they're in good shape. Young men with
wider ambitions can tear the sport off me when I'm dead but right now -
I'll fight them for it. I like it as it is.

I have no interest in watching gliding on TV - I'm a participant. How
would a million TV viewers increase my and my friends' enjoyment of
gliding? Worse, the level at which I participate would be killed by TV
popularity. The sport - like motor sports - would become dominated by
the demands of the professionals and the amateur end would be squashed
by the juggernaut.

Anybody who thinks gliding is comparable to cycling is deluded. The
closest comparison is motor sport and they're not faring any better at
the bottom than gliding. Worse, in fact. The next best comparison is
sailing and I've watched what professionalism has done there with very
little enthusiasm. It didn't improve my sailing pleasure one iota.

An earlier post said "...It's OK if you don't want to participate but
what's the point in discouraging others?" The point is that it's MY
sport as much as it's theirs and what they want would kill it from MY
point of view. So I WILL fight them for it. I will fight to stop it
becoming the plaything of bombast-stoked ******s.

GC

GC[_2_]
February 28th 13, 07:40 AM
On 28/02/2013 05:54, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> It's far easier to be skeptical about something than to go after
> something. Fearing failure is my main pet peeve. In this case
> someone else is doing ALL of the work and massive upside exists even
> if he/she is only marginally successful.
>
> You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Just because those who
> have tried before have failed is no reason not to try again. We need
> growth. Growth requires marketing. Grass roots marketing (look
> around you) only gets you so far.
>
> Here, a guy (Mario Hytten) is trying to build soaring marking against
> the tide of ourselves. He asks for you to pledge (for example) $50
> to kickstarter so he can make our sport ANOTHER amazing soaring video
> and build awareness. Predictably, many cant find much positive to
> say about it and spend more effort sighting all the reasons it will
> fail. Heaven forbid cough up $50 to support it.
>
> Explains a lot really. I donated to this kickstarter project. Why
> not? How about you?
>
> If you really want to see the sport of soaring truly grow in a
> meaningful, measurable way, send in some money. If not, please get
> out of your own way and let those with some vision and guys take over
> (do the talking) and try and move the ball forward where we have so
> clearly failed.

Sean, it is absolutely clear that you and I live on different planets.
My gliding world hasn't failed. Which direction would be forward? I
see no real reason for the sport to grow. It satisfies me perfectly
well as it is. And videos give me a headache.

Our main point of difference, though, is that I think it's no more YOUR
sport than it is MINE. I also think that how I'd like it to be is as
valid as how you want it to be. And I'm happy to discuss our
differences. But you don't see other ideas as valid in any way and all
you do is yell at people (see your post above) and try to shout them
down (see your post above) on whatever issue frustrates you at the time
(see many earlier posts on US RC).

You're pretty forceful and intransigent that you have the only valid
view (see your post above and many previous posts) so I think I'll need
to be equally forceful to have my view heard over your yelling.

It's pretty clear that the sport itself - as it is - is NOT satisfying
to you. Clearly, you're not in it for the flying pleasure but for some
driven aspects of your personality that need to be stroked by
competitive success, organisational authority and wide public acclaim.
Please go somewhere else to get those itches scratched.

IT'S NOT YOUR SPORT TO BUGGER UP!

NO! I'm not going to get out of your way. AS far as I can, I'll stand
in it. I see your vision as a horror movie with a bad ending. The ball
you're so eager to move forward is imaginary and hardly anybody else is
on your team. I think the silent majority see it much as I do.

....and demographics is on my side! :)

Now, is there something you'd like to discuss - as distinct from yell about?

> Thanks,
>
> Sean

My pleasure,

GC

gb
February 28th 13, 02:41 PM
Meh. Visually more interesting sports have tried and failed. Besides you guys are ignoring the big issue, no one wants to watch geriatric 'athletes.' Sailing is doing better on tv, partly because of the marketing genius of Redbull, mostly because the new cats and wing sails are fast and crash in a manner that makes NASCAR blush. Happy to see folks try, be fun to watch fans turn up after seeing glider racing on tv and get introduced to the 2-33. There are successes I couldn't find viewer numbers but understand the Redbull Xalps(900 km rag soaring race) is very popular, at least in Europe. Here is a sample https://www.redbullcontentpool.com/content/xalps
Gliding just needs young, likeable, tv friendly pilots...

Zaphod Beeblebrox
February 28th 13, 04:46 PM
At 06:36 28 February 2013, GC wrote:
>On 28/02/2013 04:09, Bill D wrote:
>
>> Good points but I think they will be overcome.
>> The masses of TV viewers will never adopt gliding but they don't
>> adopt many other sports either although do enjoy watching them. At
>> any one time our infrastructure can only accept a few thousand
>> newcomers. If TV coverage of glider races could provide those few,
>> we'd be in great shape.
>
>Maybe - but it isn't a shape I want my sport to be in.
>
>I like it as it is and it's as much mine as yours. I'm enjoying my
>flying and I enjoy the friends I have in gliding. There is nothing more
>I ask from the sport. For me the sport centres on my Club and my flying
>field and my local region and they're in good shape. Young men with
>wider ambitions can tear the sport off me when I'm dead but right now -
>I'll fight them for it. I like it as it is.
>
>I have no interest in watching gliding on TV - I'm a participant. How
>would a million TV viewers increase my and my friends' enjoyment of
>gliding? Worse, the level at which I participate would be killed by TV
>popularity. The sport - like motor sports - would become dominated by
>the demands of the professionals and the amateur end would be squashed
>by the juggernaut.
>
>Anybody who thinks gliding is comparable to cycling is deluded. The
>closest comparison is motor sport and they're not faring any better at
>the bottom than gliding. Worse, in fact. The next best comparison is
>sailing and I've watched what professionalism has done there with very
>little enthusiasm. It didn't improve my sailing pleasure one iota.
>
>An earlier post said "...It's OK if you don't want to participate but
>what's the point in discouraging others?" The point is that it's MY
>sport as much as it's theirs and what they want would kill it from MY
>point of view. So I WILL fight them for it. I will fight to stop it
>becoming the plaything of bombast-stoked ******s.
>
>GC

G, I have a heap of sympathy for your take on this. especially your last
line!..................however, demographically I am in the middle here as
a late starter at age 49, now 52, I look around my Club and the wider
sailplane scene and the view is a sea of white hair or bald heads and
wrinkly faces atop bodies that don't bend as well as they used to (and they
are to the last man (or woman) great company) but it makes me wonder just
who is going to be lifting my wingroot or hooking me on in twenty years
time? the sport needs to suck a little bit of youth into it somehow.

Sean F (F2)
February 28th 13, 05:52 PM
I find it hilarious that an effort to label my comments as yelling has been made. I am only one. It is, of course, up to others here to listen to whomever they choose. I suspect frustration. This is to be expected in those with different viewpoints when they are insecure about their position in a discussion.

I for one applaud those who speak up for their ideas and thoughts and defend them with passion. I applaud them if they are with me or against me. Last I checked this is how public forums (private institutions as well for that matter) worked. If you have another idea as to what is acceptable for the RAS people I am sure we are all ears.

Back to the topic at hand.

The idea that TV, DVDs or Internet videos about soaring are somehow bad for "your sport" is hilariously ridiculous (IMHO). The idea that these efforts will "bugger up" your sport is the most laughable thing I heard in many days. Thank you for that. Laughing is so good for us.. Much appreciated.

Are you seriously claiming that the glider Grand Prix videos (New Zealand and Chile) have hurt our (sorry, your) sport? Please explain. Please provide quantifiable evidence of the damage these events and their videos have caused to "your sport?"

The reality (apparently I need to explain it further) is that the Sky Race World Cup idea is totally independent and you and your club. These efforts will have zero functional impact on anything we do normally in soaring. This has nothing to do with you and "your friends" at your club. There is clear upside if the effort is succesful and absolutely zero downside. If you see downside, please explain.

How it can be percieved as a threat is predictable and yet fascinating. The natural human fear of change and new ideas is an amazing topic. I live with these detractors daily in my profesional world (and usually eat them for breakfast). At least they have an argument to respect. This argument about skyraceworldcup being a damaging invader to the sport of sparing is fundementally ridiculous. But I would appreciate a compete argument for the fun of it.

The sailplane Grand Prix / Skyraceworldcup is something an independent person, with their own money, focus and creativity, is trying to create and build. He has been working on it for some time. It will continue to take tremendous effort to be successful. The only by-products of this massive effort will be more amazing soaring videos about wonder of gliding and journey of certain young people thru out the gliding world take in order to produce superior skills over their competitors in competition. This story will be shared with the world in a manner and scale that greatly exceeds anything before it. We are talking Americas Cup levels of exposure perhaps one day. This is bad why exactly? It does not discount any other aspect of the sport in any way, shape or form. It, on a scale far greater than any other imaginable, has the potential of getting massive amounts of "net new" people interested in trying that sport (Sailing, soaring, etc) which they experience on TV (or Internet video).

If you want to produce a video series about your friends flying at your club, go ahead! That's wonderful!!! I support you fully. I'll start by sending you $100. Tell me where to send it. But we both know you don't want to do anything meaningful here other than squash the likelihood of enthusiasm about skyraceworldcup.com most likely because you don't fully understand it and your brain has defaulted to its pre-programmed but all to common reaction. Sad thing is that their might be potential in that path as well.

You (all) have 4 choices (perhaps 5) on how to behave in regards to Mario's skyraceworldcup.com idea: You can 1) support it by donating $ to the "Wings over Sweden" kickstarter project (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vingaroversverige/wings-over-sweden-0) and being positive about this project within the soaring community 2) You can "not donate" but be supportive about the project. 3) you can ignore it. 4) you can criticize it. 5) you can actively attack it, demonize it and try and defeat it? For those of you in the 4-5 region I say......WTF?

People who chose 4-5 are literally in their own way as well as our sports. They see soaring as their own private thing and honestly want few others to know about it. They actually are fine with the sports poor growth and low public interest. What it is today is "all good" for them and they are all that matters. They stand in the way of publicity and TV interest (unless of course they miraculously somehow are the source of the publicity). Shocking but true. The idea of a new wave of energy sweeping into the sport from another source is clearly terrifying to them. They actually want to stop this energy. They actively campaign against it.

The people who choose 3 are almost equally damaging to the sports growth becusse of their proportional scale. Unfortunately this is where most of us likely lie. This segment driwns enthusiasm by being passive. You shrug your shoulders and think it doesnt matter much to me. If you are in the 3 camp, please watch Mario's presentation with special attention to the importance of the Halo effect: http://youtu.be/vKdI5pnoaAU

I for one have chosen #1. I hope some more of you will make the same choice. Perhaps at least #2. I for one truly look forward to another great video on soaring from these folks! I look forward to the real potential for a fascinating glider racing series and watching some lucky young pilots striving to become a part of this new premier soaring event.

Best,

Sean
F2

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
February 28th 13, 09:51 PM
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 06:41:44 -0800, gb wrote:

> Meh. Visually more interesting sports have tried and failed. Besides
> you guys are ignoring the big issue, no one wants to watch geriatric
> 'athletes.' Sailing is doing better on tv, partly because of the
> marketing genius of Redbull, mostly because the new cats and wing sails
> are fast and crash in a manner that makes NASCAR blush. Happy to see
> folks try, be fun to watch fans turn up after seeing glider racing on tv
> and get introduced to the 2-33. There are successes I couldn't find
> viewer numbers but understand the Redbull Xalps(900 km rag soaring race)
> is very popular, at least in Europe. Here is a sample
> https://www.redbullcontentpool.com/content/xalps Gliding just needs
> young, likeable, tv friendly pilots...

So, consider targetting your recruitment around universities...

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Bill D
February 28th 13, 10:42 PM
On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:25:06 AM UTC-7, Jp Stewart wrote:
> Just sharing the link of the webinar help this past Sunday on soaring as a TV sport.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKdI5pnoaAU&feature=youtu.be
>

> JP

If you watch Mario Hytten's video, you'll see no "geriatric" athletes. All the racing pilots will be young and photogenic. He understands what advertizes want. As a "geezer glider guider" I'm OK with that.

Dan Marotta
March 1st 13, 12:12 AM
I, for one, am not against change, but I get awfully tired of people (mainly
you, Sean) telling me, and those of like mind, that we should donate money
to your cause or that "we" should mandate equipment that you favor in all of
our cockpits.

By all means, make your videos and share them on the net. Install all the
blind flying instruments you desire, donate to your favorite causes, but
please, quit harranguing the rest of us to do likewise.

C'mon Spring!

Google