PDA

View Full Version : One-eyed pilot?

Robert Simpson
February 27th 04, 09:20 PM
I'm thinking about taking flying lessons, but I have a condition in one
of my eyes that may cause me to fail the medical.

As I understand it, the 3rd class medical requires 20/40 in "each eye
separately". I have a condition in the optic nerve of my left eye that
limits its detailed vision. I still have good peripheral vision in that
eye, but I have trouble using it to read. With the standard eye test
charts, I have trouble with all but the largest letters. The other eye
is fine.

I have had this condition for several years and it seems to be
non-progressive.

Will this prevent my getting a medical certificate, or can I get a
waiver?

-Robert

Rod Madsen
February 27th 04, 09:25 PM
There are pilots with only one eye, so a waiver is possible. It turns out
that the depth perception provided by two eyes is really only effective up
to 100 feet or so. At greater distances we use our experience to judge
distance, i.e., relative size, etc.

Rod
"Robert Simpson" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking about taking flying lessons, but I have a condition in one
> of my eyes that may cause me to fail the medical.
>
> As I understand it, the 3rd class medical requires 20/40 in "each eye
> separately". I have a condition in the optic nerve of my left eye that
> limits its detailed vision. I still have good peripheral vision in that
> eye, but I have trouble using it to read. With the standard eye test
> charts, I have trouble with all but the largest letters. The other eye
> is fine.
>
> I have had this condition for several years and it seems to be
> non-progressive.
>
> Will this prevent my getting a medical certificate, or can I get a
> waiver?
>
> -Robert

Bob Gardner
February 27th 04, 10:01 PM
You don't "fail the medical." You will be required to take a "demonstrated
ability" check with an FAA ops inspector (don't think designees can do this,
but I might be wrong). In any event, you will join the ranks of the hundreds
of one-eyed pilots...I've trained one myself.

Bob Gardner

"Robert Simpson" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking about taking flying lessons, but I have a condition in one
> of my eyes that may cause me to fail the medical.
>
> As I understand it, the 3rd class medical requires 20/40 in "each eye
> separately". I have a condition in the optic nerve of my left eye that
> limits its detailed vision. I still have good peripheral vision in that
> eye, but I have trouble using it to read. With the standard eye test
> charts, I have trouble with all but the largest letters. The other eye
> is fine.
>
> I have had this condition for several years and it seems to be
> non-progressive.
>
> Will this prevent my getting a medical certificate, or can I get a
> waiver?
>
> -Robert

Robert Simpson
February 27th 04, 10:33 PM
"Bob Gardner" > wrote in message
: You don't "fail the medical." You will be required to take a
"demonstrated
: ability" check with an FAA ops inspector (don't think designees can do
this,
: but I might be wrong). In any event, you will join the ranks of the
hundreds
: of one-eyed pilots...I've trained one myself.
:
: Bob Gardner

Thanks, that's good to know.

-Robert

Cub Driver
February 27th 04, 11:05 PM
>As I understand it, the 3rd class medical requires 20/40 in "each eye
>separately".

No, one eye is all you need, all the way up to airline pilot. (Think
about this, next time you fly to Heathrow :)

Your medical will be marked something to the effect that it is good
for student privileges only. Then, before you take your check flight,
you must fly with an FAA examiner and demonstrate your ability to see.
He will then issue you a SODA (Statement of Demonstrated Ability), and
(in a manner I can't seem to recall) your medical cert will be
upgraded.

(It will then probably say that you can fly only when wearing
corrective lenses.)

I have 20/25 corrected in my right eye, peripheral vision only in my
left eye.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Cub Driver
February 27th 04, 11:06 PM
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:01:48 GMT, "Bob Gardner" >
wrote:

>ith an FAA ops inspector (don't think designees can do this,

That is correct: the "medical flight check" is done with an FAA
employee.

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Google