PDA

View Full Version : My newly overhauled Gyro!

Robert M. Gary
March 2nd 04, 08:33 PM
This is my gyro after the overhaul shop took two shots at it!!

Click on "Mooney Gyro"

Dan Luke
March 2nd 04, 10:14 PM
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:
> This is my gyro after the overhaul shop took two shots at it!!

There's nothing wrong with your gyro: your windshield's crooked.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

S Green
March 2nd 04, 11:07 PM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

> "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
> > This is my gyro after the overhaul shop took two shots at it!!
>
> There's nothing wrong with your gyro: your windshield's crooked.
> --

Strange ramp to be at rest on. 2000 ft up doing 90 kts. what sort of ramp is
that!

Robert M. Gary
March 3rd 04, 03:33 AM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message >...
> "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
> > This is my gyro after the overhaul shop took two shots at it!!
>
> There's nothing wrong with your gyro: your windshield's crooked.

The worst part is that they charged me more than the cost of a new
Gyro for their "standard" overhaul. Now after 2 attempts should I feel
safe with their gyro next time?

Dennis O'Connor
March 3rd 04, 12:07 PM
I have said this before...
Never overhaul a gyro that your life depends on...
For engine instruments, secondary navigation equipment, radio (assuming you
have a back up), etc., an overhaul is fine...
But learn from the Carnahan crash... Overhauled and repaired don't cut it if
your life depends on it...

denny
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dan Luke" > wrote in message
> > "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
> > > This is my gyro after the overhaul shop took two shots at it!!
> >
> > There's nothing wrong with your gyro: your windshield's crooked.
>
> The worst part is that they charged me more than the cost of a new
> Gyro for their "standard" overhaul. Now after 2 attempts should I feel
> safe with their gyro next time?

Larry Dighera
March 3rd 04, 12:22 PM
On 2 Mar 2004 19:33:12 -0800, (Robert M. Gary) wrote
in Message-Id: >:

>The worst part is that they charged me more than the cost of a new
>Gyro for their "standard" overhaul. Now after 2 attempts should I feel
>safe with their gyro next time?

How long has it been since the overhaul and "attempts" occurred? What
is the proximate cause of your AI failure?

Dan Luke
March 3rd 04, 02:39 PM
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:
> Now after 2 attempts should I feel
> safe with their gyro next time?

HELL no.

Get a new gyro - and get your money back.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM
(remove pants to reply by email)

Robert M. Gary
March 3rd 04, 07:39 PM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message >...
> "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
> > Now after 2 attempts should I feel
> > safe with their gyro next time?
>
> HELL no.
>
> Get a new gyro - and get your money back.

That's what I'm going to try to do. Luckily, in my MBA studies I
recently took a law class on product issues. I can see small claims
court in my future.

Robert M. Gary
March 3rd 04, 07:42 PM
Larry Dighera > wrote in message >...
> On 2 Mar 2004 19:33:12 -0800, (Robert M. Gary) wrote
> in Message-Id: >:
>
> >The worst part is that they charged me more than the cost of a new
> >Gyro for their "standard" overhaul. Now after 2 attempts should I feel
> >safe with their gyro next time?
>
> How long has it been since the overhaul and "attempts" occurred? What
> is the proximate cause of your AI failure?

The overhaul was about 3 weeks ago, it failed the first flight
afterwards, we sent it back. They said they tested it and returned it
without doing anything to it. My A&P has tested the vac to the back of
the gyro with his instrument. I have a cockpit gauge that shows good
vac and seems to test well. I also have a sensor on the back of the AI
that alarms low vac that I test on shutdown. It too shows good vac at
the time.

The original problem was that it would slowly roll about 30 degrees to
the right but remain 100% responsive to pitch and bank. It would be
very confusing in the clouds.

-Robert

Larry Dighera
March 3rd 04, 09:13 PM
On 3 Mar 2004 11:42:37 -0800, (Robert M. Gary) wrote
in Message-Id: >:

>Larry Dighera > wrote in message >...
>> On 2 Mar 2004 19:33:12 -0800, (Robert M. Gary) wrote
>> in Message-Id: >:
>>
>> >The worst part is that they charged me more than the cost of a new
>> >Gyro for their "standard" overhaul. Now after 2 attempts should I feel
>> >safe with their gyro next time?
>>
>> How long has it been since the overhaul and "attempts" occurred? What
>> is the proximate cause of your AI failure?
>
>The overhaul was about 3 weeks ago, it failed the first flight
>afterwards, we sent it back. They said they tested it and returned it
>without doing anything to it. My A&P has tested the vac to the back of
>the gyro with his instrument. I have a cockpit gauge that shows good
>vac and seems to test well. I also have a sensor on the back of the AI
>that alarms low vac that I test on shutdown. It too shows good vac at
>the time.
>
>The original problem was that it would slowly roll about 30 degrees to
>the right but remain 100% responsive to pitch and bank. It would be
>very confusing in the clouds.
>
>-Robert

This is a serious safety issue, not to mention the regulatory breach;
it could result in fatalities.

If it were me, the first thing I'd do is purchase a new Attitude
Indicator from a reputable dealer, and have it installed by the same
AP/IA who you had install the "overhauled" gyro. That will help
diagnose the cause of the problem. If the new AI works, the cause was
the overhauled gyro. If the problem persists, the cause is in the
plumbing/pump or the AP/IA's work.

It's important to keep your aircraft in an airworthy state; I would
expect AI to be included on the Type Certificate Required Equipment
List. So first concentrate on making the AI operational.

Then I'd demand ALL my money back from the instrument repair shop.
If the instrument repair shop balked, I'd threaten to mention the
incident to the local FSDO inspector. If the refund still wasn't
forthcoming, I'd ask the FSDO inspector if he's received other
complaints about the shop's work (or your mechanic), and inform
him/her of the difficulty you are experiencing.

The true issues here are safety and competence, not dollars.

Robert M. Gary
March 4th 04, 06:10 PM
Larry Dighera > wrote in message >...
> On 3 Mar 2004 11:42:37 -0800, (Robert M. Gary) wrote
> in Message-Id: >:
>
> The true issues here are safety and competence, not dollars.

I agree. Like I told my IA the instrument not only has to work, I have
to have faith in it. At this point I don't think anything from that
shop will give me that faith. In my book it fails the test for
merchantability.

Google