PDA

View Full Version : Mech vario - Static vs TE?

dbrunone
April 5th 13, 02:53 AM
Quick question -- for a mechanical vario (such as Winter), do most people hook up the static port to the TE probe, or the static line? It seems the TE probe would naturally compensate the vario for stick movements, but is there a disadvantage?

April 5th 13, 01:39 PM
On Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:53:00 PM UTC-4, dbrunone wrote:
> Quick question -- for a mechanical vario (such as Winter), do most people hook up the static port to the TE probe, or the static line? It seems the TE probe would naturally compensate the vario for stick movements, but is there a disadvantage? -- dbrunone

Connect to total energy probe.
If used with a non flow type electric variometer, connect in parallel and with at least 6 feet of tubing from where the TE lines from the vario join to the TE source line.
UH

Kevin Christner
April 5th 13, 02:14 PM
I would recommend splitting the TE line as far back from the
instrument as possible (6 feet is probably plenty, but more doesn't
hurt) to avoid interference. Otherwise the varios seem to "play" with
each other and you get pretty bad compensation.

2C

On Apr 5, 8:39*am, wrote:
> On Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:53:00 PM UTC-4, dbrunone wrote:
> > Quick question -- for a mechanical vario (such as Winter), do most people hook up the static port to the TE probe, or the static line? It seems the TE probe would naturally compensate the vario for stick movements, but is there a disadvantage? -- dbrunone
>
> Connect to total energy probe.
> If used with a non flow type electric variometer, connect in parallel and with at least 6 feet of tubing from where the TE lines from the vario join to the TE source line.
> UH

dbrunone
April 5th 13, 07:24 PM
It will be in parallel with an LXNAV V7 vario (which is non-flow-type, as I understand). But 6 feet to each instrument?? That sounds like an awful lot...that's 12ft of tubing coiled up under my panel! I should have room though. I really makes that much of a difference huh?

Wayne Paul
April 6th 13, 06:05 PM
I use to have a Borgelt B-50 in my HP-14. It was installed as prescribed in
the B-50 manual.
http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/B50man.pdf

" The T-piece in the T.E. line should be as close as possible to the T.E.
probe although in practice it has been found that if the T.E.
line is split under the pilot's seat, further aft behind the seat or near
the trailing edge of the wing no problems will result."

With the turtle-back off the '14 it was easy to put the T-piece in the
tail-cone aft of the trailing edge of the wing.

Wayne
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

On Apr 5, 8:39 am, wrote:
> On Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:53:00 PM UTC-4, dbrunone wrote:
> > Quick question -- for a mechanical vario (such as Winter), do most
> > people hook up the static port to the TE probe, or the static line? It
> > seems the TE probe would naturally compensate the vario for stick
> > movements, but is there a disadvantage? -- dbrunone
>
> Connect to total energy probe.
> If used with a non flow type electric variometer, connect in parallel and
> with at least 6 feet of tubing from where the TE lines from the vario join
> to the TE source line.
> UH

Google