PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Probe for Dell Streak

Dan Marotta
April 15th 13, 10:53 PM
Been looking on the web without much luck.

Can anyone tell me if there's a temperature probe which can be plugged into
the earphone jack on a Dell Streak 5 and will it be recognized and processed
as such by XCSoar?

I was thinking of simply moving my probe connector from the back of my
CAI302 since it's ridiculously tedious to check OAT on the 302 (10 button
presses and 5 rotation clicks!). But then I started to wonder how badly
this would affect true airspeed computations.

April 15th 13, 11:18 PM
On Monday, April 15, 2013 4:53:32 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Been looking on the web without much luck.
>

> Can anyone tell me if there's a temperature probe which can be plugged into
>
> the earphone jack on a Dell Streak 5 and will it be recognized and processed
>
> as such by XCSoar?
>

> I was thinking of simply moving my probe connector from the back of my
>
> CAI302 since it's ridiculously tedious to check OAT on the 302 (10 button
>
> presses and 5 rotation clicks!). But then I started to wonder how badly
>
> this would affect true airspeed computations.

Far as I know, all German gliders that can carry ballast water have an outside air thermometer in the cockpit. Isn't that good enough for you? And yes, I would leave the 302 sensor alone, it is needed for computations.

Dan Marotta
April 16th 13, 12:25 AM
I would like to have continuous access to OAT via one of the info boxes in
XCSoar.

> wrote in message
> On Monday, April 15, 2013 4:53:32 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> Been looking on the web without much luck.
>>

>> Can anyone tell me if there's a temperature probe which can be plugged
>> into
>>
>> the earphone jack on a Dell Streak 5 and will it be recognized and
>> processed
>>
>> as such by XCSoar?
>>

>> I was thinking of simply moving my probe connector from the back of my
>>
>> CAI302 since it's ridiculously tedious to check OAT on the 302 (10 button
>>
>> presses and 5 rotation clicks!). But then I started to wonder how badly
>>
>> this would affect true airspeed computations.
>
> Far as I know, all German gliders that can carry ballast water have an
> outside air thermometer in the cockpit. Isn't that good enough for you?
> And yes, I would leave the 302 sensor alone, it is needed for
> computations.

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
April 16th 13, 03:12 AM
On 4/15/2013 4:25 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
> I would like to have continuous access to OAT via one of the info boxes
> in XCSoar.

What will you do with the temperature information?

I also got tired of pressing buttons on my 302. I installed a digital
food thermometer in the vent duct for $16. It does a good job of reading
the air temperature, which I believe is within a degree of OAT because
it matches the 302 well.

email me)

Dan Marotta
April 16th 13, 04:49 PM
Well, it's mainly for the geek in me. There's an info box that's unfed and,
frankly I like to know what's going on outside. Ever had a relief tube
freeze up? I've fixed that problem...

There is no more room on my panel for another device.

The 302 will (I think) use a standard atmospheric model to estimate
temperature in the absence of a probe but I don't want to risk ice by
relying on a standard atmosphere. When's the last time you saw 29.92? All
day? A hundred miles away? No, I want to keep the probe with the 302.

How about relying on the local forecast as someone else already suggested?
Well, if your good day is 3 kts to 6,000' MSL that should work for you but I
fly up to 18,000' MSL all year long here in NM. It's that good! BTW, I
don't carry water in the cold months. It's too hard to thermal up into the
wave in January at 11.9 psf loading.

I saw a new device - a temperature sensor attached to a 3.5mm audio plug.
It's interesting but I'd have to cut it apart to put the probe in the nose
vent and run the wire to my streak.

Finally, if my 302 craps out I'd like to have a reasonably accurate
temperature fed to the Streak for TAS calculations. It could be the
difference in getting home or not.

"Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
> On 4/15/2013 4:25 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> I would like to have continuous access to OAT via one of the info boxes
>> in XCSoar.
>
> What will you do with the temperature information?
>
> I also got tired of pressing buttons on my 302. I installed a digital food
> thermometer in the vent duct for $16. It does a good job of reading the
> air temperature, which I believe is within a degree of OAT because it
> matches the 302 well.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
> me)

Dan Marotta
April 18th 13, 12:00 AM
Hi Eric,

Please tell me exactly what thermometer you got and where. I can't find
anything suitable on the internet or at the local hardware store. Maybe I'm
just not asking the right questions.

Dan

"Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
> On 4/15/2013 4:25 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> I would like to have continuous access to OAT via one of the info boxes
>> in XCSoar.
>
> What will you do with the temperature information?
>
> I also got tired of pressing buttons on my 302. I installed a digital food
> thermometer in the vent duct for $16. It does a good job of reading the
> air temperature, which I believe is within a degree of OAT because it
> matches the 302 well.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
> me)

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
April 18th 13, 05:10 AM
On 4/17/2013 4:00 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Please tell me exactly what thermometer you got and where. I can't find
> anything suitable on the internet or at the local hardware store. Maybe
> I'm just not asking the right questions.

I replied privately with a picture, but here are the links:

I bought it on amazon.com. Search for "digital food thermometer". This
one seems to do the same things, but looks a little different:

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Commercial-Waterproof-Thermometer/dp/B00009WE45/ref=pd_sim_k_3

The on/off button turns it on and off; also, it will shut off
automatically in a minute or so. That's fine with me. I believe, but I'm
not positive, that this one has a real on/off button, if you don't want
it to turn off automatically.

http://tinyurl.com/cqvnnp3

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

Mike the Strike
April 18th 13, 05:24 AM
I think we'd need one that can read a bit higher than that one for Arizona!

Mike

Dan Marotta
April 18th 13, 03:06 PM
Those look great except for the fixed probe. Did you take yours apart and
remote the probe to the vent system? The price is cheap enough that I could
afford to risk destroying one (or two)...

"Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
> On 4/17/2013 4:00 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Please tell me exactly what thermometer you got and where. I can't find
>> anything suitable on the internet or at the local hardware store. Maybe
>> I'm just not asking the right questions.
>
> I replied privately with a picture, but here are the links:
>
> I bought it on amazon.com. Search for "digital food thermometer". This one
> seems to do the same things, but looks a little different:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Commercial-Waterproof-Thermometer/dp/B00009WE45/ref=pd_sim_k_3
>
> The on/off button turns it on and off; also, it will shut off
> automatically in a minute or so. That's fine with me. I believe, but I'm
> not positive, that this one has a real on/off button, if you don't want it
> to turn off automatically.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cqvnnp3
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
> me)
> - "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
> http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

Kimmo Hytoenen[_2_]
April 18th 13, 07:39 PM
If you use IOIO card to connect your CAI to Streak, you cab build
temperature measurement that connects the inputs of the IOIO.
Cost is low, soldering needed. We (soartronic) will try to find time
to make explanation how to do it.

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
April 19th 13, 01:32 AM
On 4/18/2013 7:06 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Those look great except for the fixed probe. Did you take yours apart
> and remote the probe to the vent system? The price is cheap enough that
> I could afford to risk destroying one (or two)...
>

> "Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
>> On 4/17/2013 4:00 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> Please tell me exactly what thermometer you got and where. I can't find
>>> anything suitable on the internet or at the local hardware store. Maybe
>>> I'm just not asking the right questions.
>>
>> I replied privately with a picture, but here are the links:
>>
>> I bought it on amazon.com. Search for "digital food thermometer". This
>> one seems to do the same things, but looks a little different:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Commercial-Waterproof-Thermometer/dp/B00009WE45/ref=pd_sim_k_3
>>

>> The on/off button turns it on and off; also, it will shut off
>> automatically in a minute or so. That's fine with me. I believe, but
>> I'm not positive, that this one has a real on/off button, if you don't
>> want it to turn off automatically.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/cqvnnp3
>>
>> --
>> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
>> email me)
>> - "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
>> http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

No, I just stuck in through a hole in vent duct near the eyeball vent,
and it reads the OAT within a degree F.

email me)

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Dan Marotta
April 19th 13, 02:01 AM
Nah... I use a K6BT so I'm outta luck there. I'm gonna buy one of those
digital meat thermometers, take it apart, and try to mount the sensor
remotely. If I fail it's only about 10 bucks.

"Kimmo Hytoenen" > wrote in message
> If you use IOIO card to connect your CAI to Streak, you cab build
> temperature measurement that connects the inputs of the IOIO.
> Cost is low, soldering needed. We (soartronic) will try to find time
> to make explanation how to do it.

Bob Faris
April 19th 13, 02:51 AM
On Apr 18, 7:01*pm, "Dan Marotta" > wrote:
> Nah... *I use a K6BT so I'm outta luck there. *I'm gonna buy one of those
> digital meat thermometers, take it apart, and try to mount the sensor
> remotely. *If I fail it's only about 10 bucks.
>
> "Kimmo Hytoenen" > wrote in message

> > If you use IOIO card to connect your CAI to Streak, you cab build
> > temperature measurement that connects the inputs of the IOIO.
> > Cost is low, soldering needed. We (soartronic) will try to find time
> > to make explanation how to do it.

Here's another option:

http://www.digitalthermometers.net/mini_panel_meter_with_external_sensor_mdp300pp.asp x

Bob Faris

soartech[_2_]
April 19th 13, 05:56 PM
No need to take apart thermometers. Every Walmart and hardware store
carries small digital
thermometers that have an "outside" wired sensor for less than $10.
Put the sensor in your vent
and stick the little display anywhere. It never turns off either.

To get temperature into your Dell Streak use the IOIO box and a serial
output temp sensor.
Something like this:
http://www.microchip.com/paramchartsearch/Chart.aspx?branchID=90003

Dan Marotta
April 20th 13, 02:56 AM
That.s perfect, Bob!

I'd already ordered another unit that I'll have to modify for my needs and,
if I fail, I'll get the one you suggested. My only concern is that the
wires might be too short, but I can fix that easily.

"Bob Faris" > wrote in message
On Apr 18, 7:01 pm, "Dan Marotta" > wrote:
> Nah... I use a K6BT so I'm outta luck there. I'm gonna buy one of those
> digital meat thermometers, take it apart, and try to mount the sensor
> remotely. If I fail it's only about 10 bucks.
>
> "Kimmo Hytoenen" > wrote in
> message

> > If you use IOIO card to connect your CAI to Streak, you cab build
> > temperature measurement that connects the inputs of the IOIO.
> > Cost is low, soldering needed. We (soartronic) will try to find time
> > to make explanation how to do it.

Here's another option:

http://www.digitalthermometers.net/mini_panel_meter_with_external_sensor_mdp300pp.asp x

Bob Faris