PDA

View Full Version : PDA for Volkslogger

April 22nd 13, 11:53 PM
I'm quite happy with using just a Volkslogger in flight. At a local FBO I used to use a FBO Compaq iPAQ 3835 with Winpilot just to put turnpoints into the FBO VL then fly the VL. Unfortunately over the winter someone managed to delete the Winpilot program from the iPAQ. Trying to update the old iPAQ to re-accept Winpilot is a real pain and impractical. Surely there must be some decently inexpensive and relatively modern way to put turnpoints into a VL - heck, I'm happy to just do this myself via lat/long (although the SSA might not accept this for my gold...?). And yes, I do carry (and use) a small handleld GPS strapped to my leg for safety purposes...

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Peter von Tresckow
April 23rd 13, 12:48 AM
> wrote:
> I'm quite happy with using just a Volkslogger in flight. At a local FBO I
> used to use a FBO Compaq iPAQ 3835 with Winpilot just to put turnpoints
> into the FBO VL then fly the VL. Unfortunately over the winter someone
> managed to delete the Winpilot program from the iPAQ. Trying to update
> the old iPAQ to re-accept Winpilot is a real pain and impractical. Surely
> there must be some decently inexpensive and relatively modern way to put
> turnpoints into a VL - heck, I'm happy to just do this myself via
> lat/long (although the SSA might not accept this for my gold...?). And
> yes, I do carry (and use) a small handleld GPS strapped to my leg for safety purposes...
>
> All suggestions greatly appreciated.

I have my VL hooked up to my Oudie. In the past I've used seeyou on the pc
to upload tasks to the VL which works in a pinch as well.

You could always try connect me on the ipaq.

Pete

Bob Gibbons[_2_]
April 23rd 13, 02:09 AM
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:53:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I'm quite happy with using just a Volkslogger in flight. At a local FBO I used to use a FBO Compaq iPAQ 3835 with
>>Winpilot just to put turnpoints into the FBO VL then fly the VL. Unfortunately over the winter someone managed to
>> delete the Winpilot program from the iPAQ. Trying to update the old iPAQ to re-accept Winpilot is a real pain and
>>impractical. Surely there must be some decently inexpensive and relatively modern way to put turnpoints into a VL -
>> heck, I'm happy to just do this myself via lat/long (although the SSA might not accept this for my gold...?). And yes,
>>I do carry (and use) a small handleld GPS strapped to my leg for safety purposes...
>
>All suggestions greatly appreciated.

How about just using SeeYou on a PC?

You will need either a serial port or a USB-serial converter.

I've done this a number of times with my VL..

Bob

April 23rd 13, 09:07 AM
You can use the free "Connect me" software from Naviter to upload existing waypoint lists and tasks to your Volkslogger. You can also use it to download your Volkslogger igc file to you iPaq.: http://www.naviter.com/products/connectme/

Basil[_2_]
April 23rd 13, 09:45 AM
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:53:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I'm quite happy with using just a Volkslogger in flight. At a local FBO I used to use a FBO Compaq iPAQ 3835 with Winpilot just to put turnpoints into the FBO VL then fly the VL. Unfortunately over the winter someone managed to delete the Winpilot program from the iPAQ. Trying to update the old iPAQ to re-accept Winpilot is a real pain and impractical. Surely there must be some decently inexpensive and relatively modern way to put turnpoints into a VL - heck, I'm happy to just do this myself via lat/long (although the SSA might not accept this for my gold...?). And yes, I do carry (and use) a small handleld GPS strapped to my leg for safety purposes...
>
>All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Latest version of XCsoar will send tasks and downlowd from
Volkslogger.

IPAQ memmory is volatile and you loose it if the battery goes flat
over the winter. CHeck if there was a backup done last summer (using
IPAQs backup and restore programme) If there was then this will
restore winpilot.

Chris Nicholas[_2_]
April 23rd 13, 12:08 PM
On the VL website, there is a utility called VL manager. In theory,
it appears that one can use this to load in a selection of BGA
turnpoints to that software, and then use the utility, and a lead from
PC to VL, to upload them into the VL.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to easily see how to selct a
suitable number from the BGA list (the VL can only accept 500 I
believe) and to replace the existing old turnpoints loaded into the
VL.

Does anyone have instructions, in English, which can be followed by
somebody who is not a computer expert?

Chris N

Peter von Tresckow
April 23rd 13, 01:42 PM
Chris Nicholas > wrote:
> On the VL website, there is a utility called VL manager. In theory,
> it appears that one can use this to load in a selection of BGA
> turnpoints to that software, and then use the utility, and a lead from
> PC to VL, to upload them into the VL.
>
> Unfortunately, I have been unable to easily see how to selct a
> suitable number from the BGA list (the VL can only accept 500 I
> believe) and to replace the existing old turnpoints loaded into the
> VL.
>
> Does anyone have instructions, in English, which can be followed by
> somebody who is not a computer expert?
>
> Chris N

VL manager never properly worked for me. SeeYou PC with a USB adapter works
great though.

Pete

April 23rd 13, 06:44 PM
On Monday, April 22, 2013 4:53:40 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> I'm quite happy with using just a Volkslogger in flight. At a local FBO I used to use a FBO Compaq iPAQ 3835 with Winpilot just to put turnpoints into the FBO VL then fly the VL. Unfortunately over the winter someone managed to delete the Winpilot program from the iPAQ. Trying to update the old iPAQ to re-accept Winpilot is a real pain and impractical. Surely there must be some decently inexpensive and relatively modern way to put turnpoints into a VL - heck, I'm happy to just do this myself via lat/long (although the SSA might not accept this for my gold...?). And yes, I do carry (and use) a small handleld GPS strapped to my leg for safety purposes...
>

> All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks, folks! As it turns out I have a serial port/USB connector that I use on an old B&W printer to save color ink. I'll give this a try and post what happens. THANKS!

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
April 23rd 13, 09:20 PM
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:08:28 +0000, Chris Nicholas wrote:

> On the VL website, there is a utility called VL manager. In theory, it
> appears that one can use this to load in a selection of BGA turnpoints
> to that software, and then use the utility, and a lead from PC to VL, to
> upload them into the VL.
>
> Unfortunately, I have been unable to easily see how to selct a suitable
> number from the BGA list (the VL can only accept 500 I believe) and to
> replace the existing old turnpoints loaded into the VL.

Would creating the list of turnpoints with TPSelect and then using VL
manager to load them into the VL be a sensible solution?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Chris Nicholas[_2_]
April 24th 13, 12:37 AM
Yes, but that is like telling a non-chef that to make this dish you simply make a white sauce, add forcing, and gratinate it until cooked.

TPSelect seems an unwieldy way to get 500 TPs, but if I spent long enough I suppose I could do it. (Has anybody in East Anglia already done a suitable selection of say 300, to which I could add a few favourites such as around Aboyne?)

But I don’t know how to get such an amended list into VL manager, or how to use that to get it into the VL. The VL manager instructions, such as they are, are in German.

It is quite a triumph for me to get TaskNav to “see” the VL when I want it to – it never seems to be the correct com part, never the same as the last time, and I have to find one by trial and error to do even that, for downloading IGC files. [“never” = sometimes not, at random.]

Chris N

Chris Nicholas[_2_]
April 24th 13, 10:45 PM
Tim, thanks. I will try it.

Regrettably, you and other advisers are having to deal with an IT muppet.

Regards – Chris

Google