PDA

View Full Version : Trainee Pilot

Peter
March 7th 04, 01:51 PM
Hi,

I currently live in the UK and I was wondering
what would be the best way of becoming a
commercial pilot. I do not have alot of money
and I am about to study for a degree in accounting
in order to generate some cash for learning to fly.
Does anyone have any ideas of the best path I
could follow to earn my commercial flying licence.
I do not yet hold a private licence either.

Kind Regards,
Peter

TF
March 7th 04, 02:22 PM
I'm accountant here in the US. I worked in the UK when I was in my late
20's. I'm now 50 and just starting my lessons. My father worked for the
airlines so I grew up around the airports etc but never made the plunge. I
just dreamed. Here in the US its an expensive hobby and you need a good
income to participate. You'll make alot more money being a chartered
accountant than a commericial pilot. Particularly with the airlines
downsizing aircraft and turning them into flying buses.

But then again to be up there in the sky, you can't put a number on that.

"Peter" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I currently live in the UK and I was wondering
> what would be the best way of becoming a
> commercial pilot. I do not have alot of money
> and I am about to study for a degree in accounting
> in order to generate some cash for learning to fly.
> Does anyone have any ideas of the best path I
> could follow to earn my commercial flying licence.
> I do not yet hold a private licence either.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Peter

General Lee
March 7th 04, 05:30 PM
"Peter" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I currently live in the UK and I was wondering
> what would be the best way of becoming a
> commercial pilot. I do not have alot of money
> and I am about to study for a degree in accounting
> in order to generate some cash for learning to fly.
> Does anyone have any ideas of the best path I
> could follow to earn my commercial flying licence.
> I do not yet hold a private licence either.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Peter

I am in a similar position, always wanted to be a commercial pilot but
didn't know the best route to take. As it happens, I do everything I need to
do to get a PPL - except the examinations - as part of my degree so I
suppose I am lucky in that way but I'm still not sure what my next step
would be.
I asked in here (I think) a few months back and was pointed to
www.pprune.org , I recommend this site, have a look in forums --> wannabe
forums and you can get some sound advice in there if you post some questions
so I recommend that. A few people said http://www.ctc-mcalpine.com is a good
route. Basically, they arrange a loan (~£80k) which you give to them for a
few years training from scratch up to a frozen ATPL, if you complete it all
and they offer you a job as a Cadet FO, they pay back the monthly payment of
the loan on top of your wage each month, so in the end it hasn't really cost
you, but if you don't get offered a job etc then you still have the loan to
repay. From what I have read, there is massive demand for the that training
scheme too. I suppose thats only a possible route if you want to be a pilot
for an airline, is that what you are wanting to be?

HTH

Daniel

--
xbox live GT: poobaboon

Teacherjh
March 7th 04, 09:36 PM

but if you don't get offered a job etc then you still have the loan to
repay
<<

That's always the catch.

Jose

BTIZ
March 7th 04, 11:44 PM
A local helicopter flight school is advertising the "come get your training
and finance it" with the shortage of helicopter pilots, you will soon be
making $50-100K per year to pay off your $55K flight training loan.

Pretty risky investment.. spend $55K and then hope you are good enough that
someone will hire you and help bail you out of your debt.

BT

"Peter" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I currently live in the UK and I was wondering
> what would be the best way of becoming a
> commercial pilot. I do not have alot of money
> and I am about to study for a degree in accounting
> in order to generate some cash for learning to fly.
> Does anyone have any ideas of the best path I
> could follow to earn my commercial flying licence.
> I do not yet hold a private licence either.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Peter

Google