PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Website

Michael 182
March 8th 04, 01:37 AM
If you have high bandwidth and flash, this is a pretty interesting site. If
you happen to have 50 million or so, it is even relevant.

http://www.gulfstream.com/index.html

Examples of EVS (Enhanced Vision System) technology. Amazing technology.

http://www.gulfstream.com/gulfstreamevs/

Michael

Jim Baker
March 8th 04, 03:45 AM
"Michael 182" > wrote in message
> If you have high bandwidth and flash, this is a pretty interesting site.
If
> you happen to have 50 million or so, it is even relevant.
>
> http://www.gulfstream.com/index.html
>
> Examples of EVS (Enhanced Vision System) technology. Amazing technology.
>
> http://www.gulfstream.com/gulfstreamevs/
>
> Michael

You're right Michael, it is great to use. I first used EVS in the B-52 in
1981. I think it had been installed about 10-15 years earlier. In the
Gulfstream video, the ground taxi at night video gave me the impression that
it only looked straight ahead, couldn't look around the corner you were
turning. Ours was steerable giving you the ability to look around the
corner you were approaching. This is better in that it's displayed on a
HUD. We didn't have those. I'm sure this technology, 30 years later, is
more dependable too.

JB

Bob Martin
March 9th 04, 01:22 AM
> In the
> Gulfstream video, the ground taxi at night video gave me the impression that
> it only looked straight ahead, couldn't look around the corner you were
> turning. Ours was steerable giving you the ability to look around the
> corner you were approaching. This is better in that it's displayed on a
> HUD. We didn't have those. I'm sure this technology, 30 years later, is
> more dependable too.
>
> JB

No, it's a fixed installation in a small blister under the nose. I
work in the ITF at Gulfstream, and we use two simulators (basically a
full aircraft's avionics hooked up to a level B aero model). We have
an EVS camera mounted up on the side of the simulator for testing.

You can project EVS imagery onto the HUD (with VGS symbology overlaid)
or pull it up on one of the four flat-panel displays... heck, the
whole avionics fit is amazing. You can pull up airport charts,
approach plates, an interactive nav screen with obstructions,
airspace, and terrain (with real-time weather radar overlay). And on
one of the other screens you can watch your favorite DVD.

Jim Baker
March 9th 04, 03:41 AM
"Bob Martin" > wrote in message
m...
> > In the
> > Gulfstream video, the ground taxi at night video gave me the impression
that
> > it only looked straight ahead, couldn't look around the corner you were
> > turning. Ours was steerable giving you the ability to look around the
> > corner you were approaching. This is better in that it's displayed on a
> > HUD. We didn't have those. I'm sure this technology, 30 years later,
is
> > more dependable too.
> >
> > JB
>
> No, it's a fixed installation in a small blister under the nose. I
> work in the ITF at Gulfstream, and we use two simulators (basically a
> full aircraft's avionics hooked up to a level B aero model). We have
> an EVS camera mounted up on the side of the simulator for testing.
>
> You can project EVS imagery onto the HUD (with VGS symbology overlaid)
> or pull it up on one of the four flat-panel displays... heck, the
> whole avionics fit is amazing. You can pull up airport charts,
> approach plates, an interactive nav screen with obstructions,
> airspace, and terrain (with real-time weather radar overlay). And on
> one of the other screens you can watch your favorite DVD.

Sounds great, Bob.

Cheers,

JB

alexy