PDA

View Full Version : Slow News Day

Evan Ludeman[_4_]
May 23rd 13, 06:04 PM
the Examiner is at it, again, this time reprinted in Co. Springs Gazette.

http://gazette.com/faa-should-adopt-glider-warning-rule/article/1501137

Especially liked the "lighter than air glider" bit. I'd have liked to be lighter than air a couple of times last week....

T8

Evan Ludeman[_4_]
May 23rd 13, 06:31 PM
More slow news, this is hilarious.

http://framework.latimes.com/2013/05/21/horse-launched-sailplane/

This has to be a hoax. Fun though.

T8

Steve Leonard[_2_]
May 23rd 13, 07:36 PM
On Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:31:22 PM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:
> More slow news, this is hilarious. http://framework.latimes.com/2013/05/21/horse-launched-sailplane/ This has to be a hoax. Fun though. T8

Nope, it is real, Evan. Been done more than once. Look back through SOARING, and you will find a picture of a Bowlus being pulled, in flight, across the ramp at some airport, by one or two men. Wind was blowing, plane is airborne and hooked to a rope, one in the plane, two or so on the ground.

I have also seen a Cessna 175 being pulled in the air by a Honda Goldwing.

Steve

Ralph Jones[_3_]
May 23rd 13, 08:47 PM
What Steve said. I'd estimate the rope tension at around 25 pounds.

On Thu, 23 May 2013 10:31:22 -0700 (PDT), Evan Ludeman
> wrote:

>More slow news, this is hilarious.
>
>http://framework.latimes.com/2013/05/21/horse-launched-sailplane/
>
>This has to be a hoax. Fun though.
>
>T8

Bill D
May 23rd 13, 08:48 PM
On Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:31:22 AM UTC-6, Evan Ludeman wrote:
> More slow news, this is hilarious.
>

> http://framework.latimes.com/2013/05/21/horse-launched-sailplane/
>

> This has to be a hoax. Fun though.
>

> T8

The LA Times wire service photo is definitely a fake. The 'rope' from the glider to the rider is simply a drawn-in line. The real tow cable is visible just over the rider's heads. The dust AHEAD of the rider on the right is probably from the tow car.

There are other similar fake photos around. The riders just cut in ahead of the glider for a few seconds while the cameraman takes the picture - then a touch-up artist draws in the fake rope.

Is it possible it could be done for real? Yes - if there's enough wind. If you had a 45kt wind, all you'd need is a big stake.

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
May 23rd 13, 08:56 PM
On Thu, 23 May 2013 12:48:17 -0700, Bill D wrote:

> Is it possible it could be done for real? Yes - if there's enough wind.
> If you had a 45kt wind, all you'd need is a big stake.

Yes, and there's even a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86rOfjhsIIM

However, the glider is a ULW 1 homebuilt ultralite, not a Bowlus.

The horse tow is successful, but you wouldn't exactly call it a high
launch. Maybe if there was a bit more wind...

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Bill D
May 23rd 13, 09:02 PM
On Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:47:56 PM UTC-6, Ralph Jones wrote:
> What Steve said. I'd estimate the rope tension at around 25 pounds.
>

> On Thu, 23 May 2013 10:31:22 -0700 (PDT), Evan Ludeman
>
> > wrote:
>

> >More slow news, this is hilarious.
>

> >http://framework.latimes.com/2013/05/21/horse-launched-sailplane/
>

> >This has to be a hoax. Fun though.
>

> >T8

Maybe 25 pounds for level flight at best L/D but in the photo the glider is climbing. If the Baby's GW is 550 lbs and it's climbing at 1fps, that that alone equals one HP. (1 HP = 550 ft-lb-sec) Most likely, it's climbing at 5fps. For winch launch, rope tension is typically equal to the glider's flying weight.

Steve Koerner
May 23rd 13, 09:48 PM
The white horse is likely galloping but the black horse is slacking. The black horse is definitely in a trot -- typically 8-10 mph.

Dan Marotta
May 24th 13, 12:28 AM
Yes, funny, but it's those same unknowing people who will be making the
rules. How much fun will it be then?

"Evan Ludeman" > wrote in message
> More slow news, this is hilarious.
>
> http://framework.latimes.com/2013/05/21/horse-launched-sailplane/