PDA

View Full Version : Its About Time I Finally Got Me A Birdie

MRQB
March 14th 04, 01:00 AM
Hello, all well I have been lurking and posting trying to find me a low cost
time builder well I almost have up the hunt, I went to bed early Thursday
night woke up about 4am logged on to eBay and to my surprise a local area
person posted a nice little low time 1976 150 called the guy at 5am woke him
up, he called back about 8 am I spoke with him settled on a over the phone
price, price dependant upon inspection.

A friend and I drove for about 4 hours to go look at this bird. We got there
before the seller and started poking around a old guy smoking a cigar came
out and asked you interested in that airplane, said maybe can you tell me a
bit about it. Said yea I can I just got done doing a major a major annual to
it. Talked with him got all his info and he went away. The seller showed up
about 5 min later had all the logs back to new, I asked him if we could pull
it over to the mechanics hanger so I could inspect the airplane. Now is ware
it starts to get interesting!

He hands me the keys and says' s taxi it over and ill get you guys some
screw drivers well had a problem starting starter clutch went bad? Seller
acted like he did not know about it but since it was going over to the shop
he had a A & P put a new one in and put an entry in the logs, Now with all
inspection plates removed and new starter clutch the 4 hours pre buy
inspection is under way. Only 3 squawks were found but not an airworthiness
issue's.

We put the plane back together and go review the log books well he said that
it was IFR certified well it was clearly not but it was in 1987. There was
no damage history neither was there any missing logs and all AD's have been
complied with. Went to the seller told him that it was not IFR certified and
started the negations. We settled on a cash price that was more than Fair to
me tell you the truth I'd have paid $5k to $7k more if I had more money.

I went there with cash in hand for price we agreed upon over the phone. The
plane had 3 squawks and was not IFR certified as I was told It dose have
full IFR panel. I offered him a lower amount than we agreed on the phone due
to the discrepancies The seller declined after I started to walk back to the
truck to go home. The seller made a counter offer $50.00 more than my offer
my friend looks at me said take it worth way more then he is asking. So I
went inside sat down at the table got all the paperwork done and counted out
$16k in cash we both signed a sales agreement he signed the bill of sale we
shook hands and now I own me a late model 150.

Times
4030 Airframe
700 SMOH Engine Compressions 74,75,77,75
100 ON New Prop

All around condition a strong 7.5 may an low 8

Fresh Annual Done Right!! Nothing Deferred, Airplane Has New tires, break
rotors, wheel Barings, fuel line, fuel strainer valves, fuel gages, steering
rods and boots, starter clutch, and a lot more, yes it dose help to get
another set of eyes on the airplane as we found 3 non airworthyness squawks
little things that dont really need to be done buy are getting done monday.
I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.

Thanks To All The Groups Here For Putting Up With Me And For All The
Excellent Advice.

Stu Gotts
March 14th 04, 02:12 AM
Good story. Good luck with your new toy and fly safely!

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:00:15 -0800, "MRQB" > wrote:

> [...]
>$16k in cash we both signed a sales agreement he signed the bill of sale we
>shook hands and now I own me a late model 150.
>
>Times
>4030 Airframe
>700 SMOH Engine Compressions 74,75,77,75
>100 ON New Prop
>
>All around condition a strong 7.5 may an low 8
>
>Fresh Annual Done Right!! Nothing Deferred, Airplane Has New tires, break
>rotors, wheel Barings, fuel line, fuel strainer valves, fuel gages, steering
>rods and boots, starter clutch, and a lot more, yes it dose help to get
>another set of eyes on the airplane as we found 3 non airworthyness squawks
>little things that dont really need to be done buy are getting done monday.
>I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.
>
>Thanks To All The Groups Here For Putting Up With Me And For All The

Larry Dighera
March 14th 04, 02:55 AM
in Message-Id: >:

>I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.

Here's hopin' there are no liens against it. :-)

Jim Herring
March 14th 04, 02:57 AM
Pardon me, but after your inspection you didn't do a test flight?

--
Jim

carry on

Matthew P. Cummings
March 14th 04, 03:51 AM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:00:15 -0800, MRQB wrote:

> night woke up about 4am logged on to eBay and to my surprise a local area
> person posted a nice little low time 1976 150 called the guy at 5am woke him

I found the plane on ebay, item number 2466652124 and it does look nice, I
hope it works out for you, it's a risky purchase because it sat in a
hangar since 1987 and only got attention last year. I "HIGHLY" suggest
you put that plane on regular oil analysis to establish a trend and watch
it carefully for engine problems. I've seen too many of these hangar
queens lose an engine within the first couple hundred hours due to hidden
corrosion. Be very careful and particular when it comes to your engine.
Of course I could have read the ad wrong, and if I did you made out well.

A 76M for the price you say you got is a steal, watch for the cops at your
doorsteps, you flat out stole it if it's got a good engine, compressions
mean nothing on an engine that sat for 17 years in a hangar.

MRQB
March 14th 04, 04:22 AM
"Robert A. Barker" > wrote in message

> "MRQB" > wrote in message
> > Hello, all well I have been lurking and posting trying to find me a low
> cost
> > time builder well I almost have up the hunt, I went to bed early
Thursday
> > night woke up about 4am logged on to eBay and to my surprise a local
area
> > person posted a nice little low time 1976 150
>

> Way to go!!!!!!! I love my 1966 150 F.Hope you are as satisfied as I am
> as time goes by.
>
> Best of luck
>
> Bob Barker N8749S

I stayed the night in a motel woke up and did a 2 hour cross country to
bring it home for my maiden flight. I did not want to do it at night as I
only had 6 hours in a 150 2 years ago and it was the maiden flight and I
was not going to chance it. The trip home was flawless and getting reused to
a 150 was like riding a bike man are the controls more responsive compared
to the 172's.

G.R. Patterson III
March 14th 04, 04:42 AM
MRQB wrote:

> I stayed the night in a motel woke up and did a 2 hour cross country to
> bring it home for my maiden flight. I did not want to do it at night as I
> only had 6 hours in a 150 2 years ago and it was the maiden flight and I
> was not going to chance it.

A wise choice. I brought my 150 home on a moonless night due to Continental
airlines cancelling my early flight out to go get it. Wound up in Wilmington
Delaware reading the fuel ticket to find out where I was. Missed violating the
Philly class B by only a few miles. Landed 5 minutes after the tower closed, or
I would've picked up a violation there.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.

MRQB
March 14th 04, 04:49 AM
"Matthew P. Cummings" > wrote in message
ray.net...
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:00:15 -0800, MRQB wrote:
>
> > night woke up about 4am logged on to eBay and to my surprise a local
area
> > person posted a nice little low time 1976 150 called the guy at 5am woke
him

> I found the plane on ebay, item number 2466652124 and it does look nice, I
> hope it works out for you, it's a risky purchase because it sat in a
> hangar since 1987 and only got attention last year. I "HIGHLY" suggest
> you put that plane on regular oil analysis to establish a trend and watch
> it carefully for engine problems. I've seen too many of these hangar
> queens lose an engine within the first couple hundred hours due to hidden
> corrosion. Be very careful and particular when it comes to your engine.
> Of course I could have read the ad wrong, and if I did you made out well.
>
> A 76M for the price you say you got is a steal, watch for the cops at your
> doorsteps, you flat out stole it if it's got a good engine, compressions
> mean nothing on an engine that sat for 17 years in a hangar.

My A & P "Friend" that took me to do the pre buy said that every thing
looked good and in the report about how it was stored in the logs he said
was it was done properly somthing about "Preservative Oil used for anti
corrosion in the sump & cylinders" got me on that one did not know there was
such a thing!

MRQB
March 14th 04, 05:20 AM
Ohh, this trip was a big learning experience! I have never taken off on a
slopped runway before it was kinda cool taking off "UP HILL" then there was
a TFR that started 1/2 mile from the end of the runway. Flight service said
to be very careful departing today depart to the west ASAP during my
briefing. I was also warned about this by other pilots on the CTAF during my
run-up and was wondering why every one was taking off funny. Then I had to
avoid another TFR At Bremerton, Wa I called in to Seattle and had them
vector me around it as I was not familiar with the area they were very
friendly in helping out on this it was also my first time in class B
airspace. I learned a lot out of this little Cross Country Trip. It was
still a flawless learning experiance nothing went wrong.

First's
Taking off UP HILL
First time dealing with TFR's

"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> MRQB wrote:
> >
> > I stayed the night in a motel woke up and did a 2 hour cross country to
> > bring it home for my maiden flight. I did not want to do it at night as
> > only had 6 hours in a 150 2 years ago and it was the maiden flight and
> > was not going to chance it.
>
> A wise choice. I brought my 150 home on a moonless night due to
Continental
> airlines cancelling my early flight out to go get it. Wound up in
Wilmington
> Delaware reading the fuel ticket to find out where I was. Missed violating
the
> Philly class B by only a few miles. Landed 5 minutes after the tower
closed, or
> I would've picked up a violation there.
>
> George Patterson
> Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that
would
> not yield to the tongue.

Judah
March 14th 04, 01:28 PM
"MRQB" > wrote in
:

<snip>
> First's
> Taking off UP HILL
> First time dealing with TFR's
> First time in class B airspace

You forgot...

First time flying YOUR airplane! ;)

Bob Fry
March 14th 04, 04:43 PM
"MRQB" > writes:

> Ohh, this trip was a big learning experience! I have never taken off on a
> slopped runway before it was kinda cool taking off "UP HILL" then there was
> a TFR that started 1/2 mile from the end of the runway.

What airport did you depart from?

Congratulations on your purchase! After all the problems encountered
on the way, they can all now be forgotten--or fondly remembered as a
small price to pay for owning your own aircraft. And good on ya' mate
for being willing to learn new things: TFRs, Class B, etc.

Philip Sondericker
March 14th 04, 04:57 PM
in article , MRQB at
wrote on 3/13/04 5:00 PM:

> counted out $16k in cash

To hell with airworthiness! The riskiest thing you did that day was walk
around with 16 grand in your pocket.

BTIZ
March 14th 04, 05:33 PM
good going.. glad to hear it..

BT

"MRQB" > wrote in message
> [...]
we
> shook hands and now I own me a late model 150.
>
> Times
> 4030 Airframe
> 700 SMOH Engine Compressions 74,75,77,75
> 100 ON New Prop
>
> All around condition a strong 7.5 may an low 8
>
> Fresh Annual Done Right!! Nothing Deferred, Airplane Has New tires, break
> rotors, wheel Barings, fuel line, fuel strainer valves, fuel gages,
steering
> rods and boots, starter clutch, and a lot more, yes it dose help to get
> another set of eyes on the airplane as we found 3 non airworthyness
squawks
> little things that dont really need to be done buy are getting done
monday.
> I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.
>
> Thanks To All The Groups Here For Putting Up With Me And For All The

BTIZ
March 14th 04, 05:35 PM
you've got a great friend in the A&P that went with you.. reward
appropriately... it's his "living".. and a nice dinner for him and the mrs..

BT

"MRQB" > wrote in message

> "Matthew P. Cummings" > wrote in message
> ray.net...
> > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:00:15 -0800, MRQB wrote:
> >
> > > night woke up about 4am logged on to eBay and to my surprise a local
> area
> > > person posted a nice little low time 1976 150 called the guy at 5am
woke
> him
> >
> > I found the plane on ebay, item number 2466652124 and it does look nice,
> > hope it works out for you, it's a risky purchase because it sat in a
> > hangar since 1987 and only got attention last year. I "HIGHLY" suggest
> > you put that plane on regular oil analysis to establish a trend and
watch
> > it carefully for engine problems. I've seen too many of these hangar
> > queens lose an engine within the first couple hundred hours due to
hidden
> > corrosion. Be very careful and particular when it comes to your engine.
> > Of course I could have read the ad wrong, and if I did you made out
well.

> > A 76M for the price you say you got is a steal, watch for the cops at
your
> > doorsteps, you flat out stole it if it's got a good engine, compressions
> > mean nothing on an engine that sat for 17 years in a hangar.
> >

> My A & P "Friend" that took me to do the pre buy said that every thing
> looked good and in the report about how it was stored in the logs he said
> was it was done properly somthing about "Preservative Oil used for anti
> corrosion in the sump & cylinders" got me on that one did not know there
was
> such a thing!

MRQB
March 14th 04, 06:54 PM
He was rewarded appropriately.

"BTIZ" > wrote in message
> you've got a great friend in the A&P that went with you.. reward
> appropriately... it's his "living".. and a nice dinner for him and the
mrs..

> BT
>
> "MRQB" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Matthew P. Cummings" > wrote in message
> > ray.net...

> > area
> woke
> > him
> > >
> > > I found the plane on ebay, item number 2466652124 and it does look
nice,
> > > hope it works out for you, it's a risky purchase because it sat in a
> > > hangar since 1987 and only got attention last year. I "HIGHLY"
suggest
> > > you put that plane on regular oil analysis to establish a trend and
> watch
> > > it carefully for engine problems. I've seen too many of these hangar
> > > queens lose an engine within the first couple hundred hours due to
> hidden
> > > corrosion. Be very careful and particular when it comes to your
engine.
> > > Of course I could have read the ad wrong, and if I did you made out
> well.
> > >
> > > A 76M for the price you say you got is a steal, watch for the cops at
> your
> > > doorsteps, you flat out stole it if it's got a good engine,
compressions
> > > mean nothing on an engine that sat for 17 years in a hangar.
> > >

> > My A & P "Friend" that took me to do the pre buy said that every thing
> > looked good and in the report about how it was stored in the logs he
said
> > was it was done properly somthing about "Preservative Oil used for anti
> > corrosion in the sump & cylinders" got me on that one did not know there
> was
> > such a thing!

MRQB
March 14th 04, 06:55 PM
No not that risky I've walked around with a lot more than that. Just don't
tell any one that you have it and your ok.

"Philip Sondericker" > wrote in message
> in article , MRQB at
> wrote on 3/13/04 5:00 PM:
>
> > counted out $16k in cash
>
> To hell with airworthiness! The riskiest thing you did that day was walk
> around with 16 grand in your pocket.

MRQB
March 14th 04, 07:43 PM
Yep thats right first time flying my airplane man that sounds werid,

"Judah" > wrote in message
> "MRQB" > wrote in
> :
>
> <snip>
> > First's
> > Taking off UP HILL
> > First time dealing with TFR's
> > First time in class B airspace
> >

> You forgot...
>
> First time flying YOUR airplane! ;)

MRQB
March 14th 04, 07:45 PM
Apex Private WA05 (formerly S42)

http://www.airnav.com/airport/WA05

"Bob Fry" > wrote in message
> "MRQB" > writes:
>
> > Ohh, this trip was a big learning experience! I have never taken off on
> > slopped runway before it was kinda cool taking off "UP HILL" then there
was
> > a TFR that started 1/2 mile from the end of the runway.
>
> What airport did you depart from?
>
> Congratulations on your purchase! After all the problems encountered
> on the way, they can all now be forgotten--or fondly remembered as a
> small price to pay for owning your own aircraft. And good on ya' mate
> for being willing to learn new things: TFRs, Class B, etc.

Doug
March 14th 04, 10:27 PM
What did the bank say when you told them you wanted to withdraw 16k in cash?

"MRQB" > wrote in message >...
> [...]
> $16k in cash we both signed a sales agreement he signed the bill of sale we
> shook hands and now I own me a late model 150.
>
> Times
> 4030 Airframe
> 700 SMOH Engine Compressions 74,75,77,75
> 100 ON New Prop
>
> All around condition a strong 7.5 may an low 8
>
> Fresh Annual Done Right!! Nothing Deferred, Airplane Has New tires, break
> rotors, wheel Barings, fuel line, fuel strainer valves, fuel gages, steering
> rods and boots, starter clutch, and a lot more, yes it dose help to get
> another set of eyes on the airplane as we found 3 non airworthyness squawks
> little things that dont really need to be done buy are getting done monday.
> I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.
>
> Thanks To All The Groups Here For Putting Up With Me And For All The

MRQB
March 15th 04, 12:00 AM
They had me fill out a form for the government! Told me that next time to
call a day in advance so they could order the funds. They almost refused to
give me over 10k at once told them it was my money and i want it now!!!!!! I
said I dont care that I need to fill out a form to get my money so give me
my money or give me every thing in my account and close it they gave me the
amount i asked for was more then 16k that i was asking for.

I hate banks for that reason.

"Doug" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
> > shook hands and now I own me a late model 150.
> >
> > Times
> > 4030 Airframe
> > 700 SMOH Engine Compressions 74,75,77,75
> > 100 ON New Prop
> >
> > All around condition a strong 7.5 may an low 8
> >
> > Fresh Annual Done Right!! Nothing Deferred, Airplane Has New tires,
break
> > rotors, wheel Barings, fuel line, fuel strainer valves, fuel gages,
steering
> > rods and boots, starter clutch, and a lot more, yes it dose help to get
> > another set of eyes on the airplane as we found 3 non airworthyness
squawks
> > little things that dont really need to be done buy are getting done
monday.
> > I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.
> >
> > Thanks To All The Groups Here For Putting Up With Me And For All The

Carl Ellis
March 15th 04, 12:06 AM
"MRQB" > wrote in news:oD25c.38$bw6.37391
@news.uswest.net:

I thought it might be APEX. I bought my Taylorcraft from a fellow who has
a hangar there. 2.5 years ago the sub base (Bangor) had effectively
confiscated part of their strip by extending a no-fly zone into the first
500' or so of the runway. The navy was pretty heavy handed - there was
talk of installing cameras to catch air-space "violators" and other such
nonsense. A go-around could be pretty white-knuckled to stay out of
"their" airspace.

At that time it was a one-way strip - arriving and departing from the south
(ish) . There is a nice big hump in the runway so you need to taxi half-
way down and have a look-see, do a run-up, then back to the other end for
take-off.

- Carl -

Ben Jackson
March 15th 04, 12:12 AM
In article >,
Carl Ellis > wrote:

>I thought it might be APEX. I bought my Taylorcraft from a fellow who has
>a hangar there. 2.5 years ago the sub base (Bangor) had effectively
>confiscated part of their strip by extending a no-fly zone into the first
>500' or so of the runway.

That "T"FR is smaller now. They replaced the circle-with-APEX-cutout
(I never saw a version that didn't leave about a mile and a half around
the airport) with a rectangular region that doesn't close it in on 3
sides. I noticed it last time I was copy those TFRs onto my charts.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

March 15th 04, 01:54 AM
Know the feeling !!!,

MAN, WHAT a feeling! ...

Walking on the ramp towards my (well.. OUR) airplane...

..No jockying for a "rental slot" and cleaning up after the
last renter, wondering what/who was doing what.. (nice new flat spot
on the other 172's tire I noticed) ...

A beaut day here, so one of my "partners" said "lets go
flying" ..........and our plane was WAITING FOR US... (not the other
way around)

We have done a lot of work on it (all appearance items). it
sailed through it's annual/100 hr check needing 3 cowl fasteners
(that we suspected) ..

It looked like crap, but it appears that it got whatever it
needed, when needed maintenance - wise...

We put it back in the hanger, washed it underneath, touched
up some paint chips and turned out the lights...

Felt really, really good...

Dave

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:43:14
-0800, "MRQB" > wrote:

>Yep thats right first time flying my airplane man that sounds werid,

>> You forgot...
>>
>> First time flying YOUR airplane! ;)

Bill Denton
March 15th 04, 02:19 PM
Couple of points:

The form had nothing to do with the bank. I guess you missed it, but 10 or
15 years ago regulations went into effect that required anyone withdrawing
$10,000 or more from a financial institution had to fill out a form and the
feds had to be notified of the transaction. The idea was to cut down on the
drug trafficking and money laundering. Of course, your average coke dealer
simply withdrew $9,995, went outside for a smoke, then came back in and got
the other $5.00. So much for that idea!

As far as asking for the money a day in advance goes, that's just common
sense. Banks get robbed. The more money in the bank, the more money that
guts stolen. So banks try to limit their funds on hand to what they think
they will actually need in a day. Try walking into your nearest Krispy Kreme
and getting 10,000 donuts right now. It ain't going to happen! Krispy Kreme
only makes the donuts the feel they will sell in a certain period of time.
But if you call and order them, they'll be happy to whip out 10,000 for you.

And for whoever might be of an argumentive bent, I already know how much
interest a zillion dollars earns in a nanosecond, but the "robbery" example
is also correct, so let it go.

"MRQB" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > >
> > > Times
> > > 4030 Airframe
> > > 700 SMOH Engine Compressions 74,75,77,75
> > > 100 ON New Prop
> > >
> > > All around condition a strong 7.5 may an low 8
> > >
> > > Fresh Annual Done Right!! Nothing Deferred, Airplane Has New tires,
> break
> > > rotors, wheel Barings, fuel line, fuel strainer valves, fuel gages,
> steering
> > > rods and boots, starter clutch, and a lot more, yes it dose help to
get
> > > another set of eyes on the airplane as we found 3 non airworthyness
> squawks
> > > little things that dont really need to be done buy are getting done
> monday.
> > > I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.
> > >
> > > Thanks To All The Groups Here For Putting Up With Me And For All The

Brad Salai
March 16th 04, 10:53 AM
Can you really get 10,000 Krispy Kream doughnuts? Come on, lets give it a
try!

Brad
"Bill Denton" > wrote in message
> [...]
example
> is also correct, so let it go.
>

> "MRQB" > wrote in message
> > They had me fill out a form for the government! Told me that next time
> > call a day in advance so they could order the funds. They almost refused
> > give me over 10k at once told them it was my money and i want it
now!!!!!!
> > said I dont care that I need to fill out a form to get my money so give
me
> > my money or give me every thing in my account and close it they gave me
> the
> > amount i asked for was more then 16k that i was asking for.
> >

> > I hate banks for that reason.
> >

> > "Doug" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > What did the bank say when you told them you wanted to withdraw 16k in

MRQB
March 16th 04, 12:47 PM
Who cares about Krispy Kream we just got the largest HOOTERS in the USA here
ware there is a strip joint on every corner.

"Brad Salai" > wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > And for whoever might be of an argumentive bent, I already know how much
> > interest a zillion dollars earns in a nanosecond, but the "robbery"
> example
> > is also correct, so let it go.
> >

> > "MRQB" > wrote in message
> > > They had me fill out a form for the government! Told me that next time
> > > call a day in advance so they could order the funds. They almost
refused
> > > give me over 10k at once told them it was my money and i want it
> now!!!!!!
> > > said I dont care that I need to fill out a form to get my money so
give
> me
> > > my money or give me every thing in my account and close it they gave
me
> > the
> > > amount i asked for was more then 16k that i was asking for.

TTA Cherokee Driver
March 16th 04, 07:14 PM
MRQB wrote:

> Hello, all well I have been lurking and posting trying to find me a low cost
> time builder well I almost have up the hunt, I went to bed early Thursday
> night woke up about 4am logged on to eBay and to my surprise a local area
> person posted a nice little low time 1976 150 called the guy at 5am woke him
> up, he called back about 8 am I spoke with him settled on a over the phone
> price, price dependant upon inspection.
> >
> Thanks To All The Groups Here For Putting Up With Me And For All The
> Excellent Advice.

As one of the posters who gave you grief for your attitude in this, let
me say congratulations and many happy hours. Glad it finally worked out
for you.

Jon Kraus
March 16th 04, 11:05 PM
I have purchased several houses with cash that were way over 10K and
have never had to fill out anything....

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA

Bill Denton wrote:

>Couple of points:
>
>The form had nothing to do with the bank. I guess you missed it, but 10 or
>15 years ago regulations went into effect that required anyone withdrawing
>$10,000 or more from a financial institution had to fill out a form and the
>feds had to be notified of the transaction. The idea was to cut down on the
>drug trafficking and money laundering. Of course, your average coke dealer
>simply withdrew $9,995, went outside for a smoke, then came back in and got
>the other $5.00. So much for that idea!
>
>As far as asking for the money a day in advance goes, that's just common
>sense. Banks get robbed. The more money in the bank, the more money that
>guts stolen. So banks try to limit their funds on hand to what they think
>they will actually need in a day. Try walking into your nearest Krispy Kreme
>and getting 10,000 donuts right now. It ain't going to happen! Krispy Kreme
>only makes the donuts the feel they will sell in a certain period of time.
>But if you call and order them, they'll be happy to whip out 10,000 for you.
>
>And for whoever might be of an argumentive bent, I already know how much
>interest a zillion dollars earns in a nanosecond, but the "robbery" example
>is also correct, so let it go.
>

>"MRQB" > wrote in message
>

>>They had me fill out a form for the government! Told me that next time to
>>call a day in advance so they could order the funds. They almost refused

>>give me over 10k at once told them it was my money and i want it now!!!!!!

>>said I dont care that I need to fill out a form to get my money so give me
>>my money or give me every thing in my account and close it they gave me
>>

>the
>

>>amount i asked for was more then 16k that i was asking for.
>>

>>I hate banks for that reason.
>>

>>"Doug" > wrote in message
om...

>>>What did the bank say when you told them you wanted to withdraw 16k in
>>>

>>cash?

>low
>

>>cost

>>Thursday

>>area

>woke
>

>>him

>>phone

>>there

>>came

>>me a

>>annual to

>showed
>

>>up

>could
>

>>pull

>is
>

>>ware

>some

>>Seller

>>shop

>>all

>>airworthiness

>said
>

>>that

>>was

>>been

>certified
>

>>and

>>Fair to

>money.

>phone.
>

>>The

>have

>phone
>

>>due

>>the

>>offer

>So

>counted
>

>>out

>sale
>

>>we

>>break

>>steering

>get

>>squawks

>>monday.

Bill Denton
March 17th 04, 02:11 PM
How long ago?

Did you withdraw the money from a financial institution or was it in a safe
or something similar?

"MRQB" > wrote in message

They had me fill out a form for the government! Told me that next time to
call a day in advance so they could order the funds. They almost refused

give me over 10k at once told them it was my money and i want it now!!!!!!

said I dont care that I need to fill out a form to get my money so give me
my money or give me every thing in my account and close it they gave me

the

amount i asked for was more then 16k that i was asking for.

I hate banks for that reason.

om...

"MRQB" > wrote in message

[...]

Tom Sixkiller
March 17th 04, 02:20 PM
"Bill Denton" > wrote in message
> How long ago?
>
> Did you withdraw the money from a financial institution or was it in a
safe
> or something similar?
>

> Bill Denton wrote:
>
> Couple of points:
>
> The form had nothing to do with the bank. I guess you missed it, but 10 or
> 15 years ago regulations went into effect that required anyone withdrawing
> $10,000 or more from a financial institution had to fill out a form and
the
> feds had to be notified of the transaction. The idea was to cut down on
the
> drug trafficking and money laundering. Of course, your average coke dealer
> simply withdrew $9,995, went outside for a smoke, then came back in and
got
> the other $5.00. So much for that idea!

Now they track anyone making more that $xxxx worth of withdrawals/deposits
over a certain time period.

It's had a really significant impact, hasn't it.

Bill Denton
March 17th 04, 03:04 PM
Well, we're damn sure keeping those folks who run flea markets and other
small cash businesses under control!

"Tom Sixkiller" > wrote in message

> "Bill Denton" > wrote in message
> > How long ago?
> >
> > Did you withdraw the money from a financial institution or was it in a
> safe
> > or something similar?
> >

> > Bill Denton wrote:
> >
> > Couple of points:
> >
> > The form had nothing to do with the bank. I guess you missed it, but 10
or
> > 15 years ago regulations went into effect that required anyone
withdrawing
> > $10,000 or more from a financial institution had to fill out a form and
> the
> > feds had to be notified of the transaction. The idea was to cut down on
> the
> > drug trafficking and money laundering. Of course, your average coke
dealer
> > simply withdrew $9,995, went outside for a smoke, then came back in and
> got
> > the other $5.00. So much for that idea!
>
> Now they track anyone making more that $xxxx worth of withdrawals/deposits
> over a certain time period.
>
> It's had a really significant impact, hasn't it.

Jon Kraus
March 17th 04, 10:46 PM
Today I just walked up with a checking withdrawl slip and had them give
me a cashiers check made out to the title company. That is probably the
catch. I didn't get cash. That much cash would make me too nervous.

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA

Bill Denton wrote:

>How long ago?
>
>Did you withdraw the money from a financial institution or was it in a safe
>or something similar?
>

>"Jon Kraus" > wrote in message
>I have purchased several houses with cash that were way over 10K and have
>never had to fill out anything....
>
>Jon Kraus
>PP-ASEL
>Student-IA
>
>Bill Denton wrote:
>
>Couple of points:
>
>The form had nothing to do with the bank. I guess you missed it, but 10 or
>15 years ago regulations went into effect that required anyone withdrawing
>$10,000 or more from a financial institution had to fill out a form and the
>feds had to be notified of the transaction. The idea was to cut down on the
>drug trafficking and money laundering. Of course, your average coke dealer
>simply withdrew $9,995, went outside for a smoke, then came back in and got
>the other $5.00. So much for that idea!
>
>As far as asking for the money a day in advance goes, that's just common
>sense. Banks get robbed. The more money in the bank, the more money that
>guts stolen. So banks try to limit their funds on hand to what they think
>they will actually need in a day. Try walking into your nearest Krispy Kreme
>and getting 10,000 donuts right now. It ain't going to happen! Krispy Kreme
>only makes the donuts the feel they will sell in a certain period of time.
>But if you call and order them, they'll be happy to whip out 10,000 for you.
>
>And for whoever might be of an argumentive bent, I already know how much
>interest a zillion dollars earns in a nanosecond, but the "robbery" example
>is also correct, so let it go.
>

>"MRQB" > wrote in message
>
>They had me fill out a form for the government! Told me that next time to
>call a day in advance so they could order the funds. They almost refused

>give me over 10k at once told them it was my money and i want it now!!!!!!

>said I dont care that I need to fill out a form to get my money so give me
>my money or give me every thing in my account and close it they gave me
>
>the
>
>amount i asked for was more then 16k that i was asking for.
>

>I hate banks for that reason.
>

>"Doug" > wrote in message
om...

> [...]
>
>Times
>4030 Airframe
>700 SMOH Engine Compressions 74,75,77,75
>100 ON New Prop
>
>All around condition a strong 7.5 may an low 8
>
>Fresh Annual Done Right!! Nothing Deferred, Airplane Has New tires,
>
>break
>
>rotors, wheel Barings, fuel line, fuel strainer valves, fuel gages,
>
>steering
>
>rods and boots, starter clutch, and a lot more, yes it dose help to
>
>get
>
>another set of eyes on the airplane as we found 3 non airworthyness
>
>squawks
>
>little things that dont really need to be done buy are getting done
>
>monday.
>
>I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.
>
>Thanks To All The Groups Here For Putting Up With Me And For All The

Russell Kent
March 17th 04, 11:00 PM
Jon Kraus wrote:

> Today I just walked up with a checking withdrawl slip and had them give
> me a cashiers check made out to the title company. That is probably the
> catch. I didn't get cash. That much cash would make me too nervous.

Ah, therein lies the discrepancy. Purchasing a house (boat, plane, RV, ...) "for
cash" means one does not take out a loan to make the purchase. In this
discussion about getting large amounts of cash out of the bank, we mean literally
*cash* (i.e. slips of cotton-based paper with etchings of dead Presidents on
them).

Russell Kent

Jon Kraus
March 17th 04, 11:23 PM
I meant cash.... I just told them to convert the dead presidents into a
cashiers check....

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA

Russell Kent wrote:

>Jon Kraus wrote:
>

>>Today I just walked up with a checking withdrawl slip and had them give
>>me a cashiers check made out to the title company. That is probably the
>>catch. I didn't get cash. That much cash would make me too nervous.
>>

>Ah, therein lies the discrepancy. Purchasing a house (boat, plane, RV, ...) "for
>cash" means one does not take out a loan to make the purchase. In this
>discussion about getting large amounts of cash out of the bank, we mean literally
>*cash* (i.e. slips of cotton-based paper with etchings of dead Presidents on
>them).
>
>Russell Kent

Russell Kent
March 18th 04, 12:04 AM
You probably know this, but a cashier's check isn't the same as
cash. The regulations about withdrawing large amounts of cash
mean *cash* and not other instruments. If you want more
information, may I respectfully suggest that you ask the bank
officer then next time you're there.

Russell Kent

Jon Kraus wrote:

> I meant cash.... I just told them to convert the dead presidents
> into a cashiers check....
>
> Jon Kraus
> PP-ASEL
> Student-IA
>
> Russell Kent wrote:
>
>> Jon Kraus wrote:
>>

>> > Today I just walked up with a checking withdrawl slip and
>> > had them give
>> > me a cashiers check made out to the title company. That is
>> > probably the
>> > catch. I didn't get cash. That much cash would make me too
>> > nervous.
>> >
>> Ah, therein lies the discrepancy. Purchasing a house (boat,
>> plane, RV, ...) "for
>> cash" means one does not take out a loan to make the
>> purchase. In this
>> discussion about getting large amounts of cash out of the
>> bank, we mean literally
>> *cash* (i.e. slips of cotton-based paper with etchings of dead
>> Presidents on
>> them).
>>
>> Russell Kent

MRQB
March 18th 04, 12:32 AM
cashiers check = paper trail
dead presidents = no way to trace what you did with the money

Jon Kraus
March 18th 04, 01:16 AM
Paper trail is fine with me.... Nothing to hide here...

MRQB wrote:

> cashiers check = paper trail
> dead presidents = no way to trace what you did with the money

Teacherjh
March 18th 04, 02:03 AM
>> Paper trail is fine with me.... Nothing to hide here...

....until the next administration.

Jose

Bob Fry
March 18th 04, 02:54 AM
Jon Kraus > writes:

> I meant cash.... I just told them to convert the dead presidents into a cashiers
> check....

There's cash, and then there's cash.

We are talking about anonymous paper cash. The reason for the $10,000
limit, as others have said, is to curtail druggie transactions. The
key here is the anonymity of paper cash.

A cashiers check has a payee and thus is not anonymous, so they don't
care. I think of checks and so on as cash instruments.

Bob Fry
March 18th 04, 02:57 AM
Jon Kraus > writes:

> Paper trail is fine with me.... Nothing to hide here...

Hmmm....thoughtful people would not agree with that, including our
founders. Why bother to have constitutional rights against
unreasonable searches and seizures? You've got nothing to hide, eh?
The right to be left alone surely is important to a free society.

Paul Folbrecht
March 18th 04, 04:06 AM
You buy HOUSES with CASH?! Holy ****.

Jon Kraus wrote:

> I have purchased several houses with cash that were way over 10K and
> have never had to fill out anything....
>
> Jon Kraus
> PP-ASEL
> Student-IA

Paul Folbrecht
March 18th 04, 04:08 AM
Ah, yeah, cashier's check is completely different (and obviously the
best way to go about this).

I had one made out for over $70K myself a couple months ago for a lot
purchase. Wouldn't have gone there with $70K in briefcases. No siree.
I'm not in the mob (anymore).

Jon Kraus wrote:

> Today I just walked up with a checking withdrawl slip and had them give
> me a cashiers check made out to the title company. That is probably the
> catch. I didn't get cash. That much cash would make me too nervous.

Ben Jackson
March 18th 04, 05:03 AM
In article et>,
Paul Folbrecht > wrote:
>I had one made out for over $70K myself a couple months ago for a lot
>purchase. Wouldn't have gone there with $70K in briefcases.

Sir, I offer you 175 fine leather briefcases for your fine property!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Jürgen Exner
March 18th 04, 05:20 AM
"Jon Kraus" > wrote in message
> I meant cash.... I just told them to convert the dead presidents into a
cashiers check....

Well, a check (no matter if personal or certified or cashiers or even money
order) is certainly not cash.

jue

MRQB
March 18th 04, 06:44 AM
You speak it well there bob, We should not be asked what we are doing with
the money that we withdraw from the bank and if I want to go buy something I
don't want everyone knowing what I purchase. What I purchase is my business
not my banks nor the governments, yes your bank will release your records.

"Bob Fry" > wrote in message
> Jon Kraus > writes:
>
> > Paper trail is fine with me.... Nothing to hide here...
>
> Hmmm....thoughtful people would not agree with that, including our
> founders. Why bother to have constitutional rights against
> unreasonable searches and seizures? You've got nothing to hide, eh?
> The right to be left alone surely is important to a free society.

MRQB
March 18th 04, 06:47 AM
briefcases for 70k in cash hahahahahaha 70k will fit in your coat pocket
very easy!

"Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Ah, yeah, cashier's check is completely different (and obviously the
> best way to go about this).
>
> I had one made out for over $70K myself a couple months ago for a lot
> purchase. Wouldn't have gone there with $70K in briefcases. No siree.
> I'm not in the mob (anymore).
>
> Jon Kraus wrote:
>
> > Today I just walked up with a checking withdrawl slip and had them give
> > me a cashiers check made out to the title company. That is probably the
> > catch. I didn't get cash. That much cash would make me too nervous.

MRQB
March 18th 04, 06:48 AM
How else do you buy a house?

"Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> You buy HOUSES with CASH?! Holy ****.
>
> Jon Kraus wrote:
>
> > I have purchased several houses with cash that were way over 10K and
> > have never had to fill out anything....
> >
> > Jon Kraus
> > PP-ASEL
> > Student-IA

Jon Kraus
March 18th 04, 11:08 AM
I think I am pretty thoughtful... Are you paranoid or just a Democrat? :-)

Bob Fry wrote:

>Jon Kraus > writes:
>

>>Paper trail is fine with me.... Nothing to hide here...
>>

>Hmmm....thoughtful people would not agree with that, including our
>founders. Why bother to have constitutional rights against
>unreasonable searches and seizures? You've got nothing to hide, eh?
>The right to be left alone surely is important to a free society.

Jon Kraus
March 18th 04, 11:12 AM
I must confess that they are Bank Owned (REO'S) and in need of many
repairs... besides flying it is another hobby.... Shoot, I gotta have
some way to afford airplane time... :-)

Paul Folbrecht wrote:

> You buy HOUSES with CASH?! Holy ****.
>
> Jon Kraus wrote:
>
>> I have purchased several houses with cash that were way over 10K and
>> have never had to fill out anything....
>> Jon Kraus
>> PP-ASEL
>> Student-IA

G.R. Patterson III
March 18th 04, 03:25 PM
MRQB wrote:

> How else do you buy a house?

I buy them with checks.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.

Paul Sengupta
March 18th 04, 03:29 PM
Congrats! But didn't you have an absolute limit of $15k and give
a hard time to someone who tried to sell you a plane (however good
or bad) for $15.9k for not conforming to your original request?

Paul

"MRQB" > wrote in message
> counted out
> $16k in cash we both signed a sales agreement he signed the bill of sale
we
> shook hands and now I own me a late model 150.
> I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.

Teacherjh
March 18th 04, 04:04 PM
>> 70k will fit in your coat pocket very easy!

Not in used singles. :)

Jose

Russell Kent
March 18th 04, 06:59 PM
MRQB wrote:

> briefcases for 70k in cash hahahahahaha 70k will fit in your coat pocket
> very easy!

Provided your coat pocket can expand to about 3 inches.

Russell Kent

MRQB
March 18th 04, 10:32 PM
Yes, But I made the offer on this one, It exceeded every thing that I was
looking for in an airplane well worth the extra $1,000 I spent I never had a
airplane start so easy and the controls function so smoth.

"Paul Sengupta" > wrote in message
> Congrats! But didn't you have an absolute limit of $15k and give
> a hard time to someone who tried to sell you a plane (however good
> or bad) for $15.9k for not conforming to your original request?
>
> Paul
>
> "MRQB" > wrote in message
> > counted out
> > $16k in cash we both signed a sales agreement he signed the bill of sale
> we
> > shook hands and now I own me a late model 150.
> > I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.

Paul Folbrecht
March 19th 04, 03:25 AM
Now that was funny.

Ben Jackson wrote:
> In article et>,
> Paul Folbrecht > wrote:
>
>>I had one made out for over $70K myself a couple months ago for a lot
>>purchase. Wouldn't have gone there with $70K in briefcases.
>

> Sir, I offer you 175 fine leather briefcases for your fine property!

Paul Folbrecht
March 19th 04, 03:25 AM
Guess you'd probably know.

MRQB wrote:

> briefcases for 70k in cash hahahahahaha 70k will fit in your coat pocket
> very easy!

Paul Folbrecht
March 19th 04, 03:26 AM
I don't know if your question was serious or not, but probably 95% of
them are bought with mortgages.

MRQB wrote:

> How else do you buy a house?
>
> "Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>You buy HOUSES with CASH?! Holy ****.
>>
>>Jon Kraus wrote:
>>

>>>I have purchased several houses with cash that were way over 10K and
>>>have never had to fill out anything....
>>>
>>>Jon Kraus
>>>PP-ASEL
>>>Student-IA

Paul Folbrecht
March 19th 04, 03:27 AM
Hey M, I happen to know of a catastrophic problem with this aircraft you
just bought. Tell you what, I'll take it off your hands for exactly
what you paid for it? I guess I'm a nice guy. Deal?

MRQB wrote:

> Yes, But I made the offer on this one, It exceeded every thing that I was
> looking for in an airplane well worth the extra $1,000 I spent I never had a
> airplane start so easy and the controls function so smoth.
>
> "Paul Sengupta" > wrote in message
>
>>Congrats! But didn't you have an absolute limit of $15k and give
>>a hard time to someone who tried to sell you a plane (however good
>>or bad) for $15.9k for not conforming to your original request?
>>
>>Paul
>>
>>"MRQB" > wrote in message
>>
>>>counted out
>>>$16k in cash we both signed a sales agreement he signed the bill of sale
>>
>>we
>>
>>>shook hands and now I own me a late model 150.
>>>I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.

MRQB
March 19th 04, 08:42 AM
Yes i would

"Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Guess you'd probably know.
>
> MRQB wrote:
>
> > briefcases for 70k in cash hahahahahaha 70k will fit in your coat pocket
> > very easy!

MRQB
March 19th 04, 08:45 AM
Catastrophic problem, What would that be?

"Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hey M, I happen to know of a catastrophic problem with this aircraft you
> just bought. Tell you what, I'll take it off your hands for exactly
> what you paid for it? I guess I'm a nice guy. Deal?
>
> MRQB wrote:
>
> > Yes, But I made the offer on this one, It exceeded every thing that I
was
> > looking for in an airplane well worth the extra $1,000 I spent I never
had a
> > airplane start so easy and the controls function so smoth.
> >
> > "Paul Sengupta" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Congrats! But didn't you have an absolute limit of $15k and give
> >>a hard time to someone who tried to sell you a plane (however good
> >>or bad) for $15.9k for not conforming to your original request?
> >>
> >>Paul

> >>we

Jon Kraus
March 19th 04, 12:08 PM
Duuuuhhhhh.....

MRQB wrote:

>Catastrophic problem, What would that be?
>

>"Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
ink.net...

>>Hey M, I happen to know of a catastrophic problem with this aircraft you
>> just bought. Tell you what, I'll take it off your hands for exactly
>>what you paid for it? I guess I'm a nice guy. Deal?
>>
>>MRQB wrote:
>>

>>>Yes, But I made the offer on this one, It exceeded every thing that I
>>>

>was
>

>>>looking for in an airplane well worth the extra $1,000 I spent I never
>>>

>had a
>

>>>airplane start so easy and the controls function so smoth.

>sale

VideoGuy
March 21st 04, 05:11 AM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message