PDA

View Full Version : anyone from IAH area?

old man
March 17th 04, 08:09 PM
Thinking of transferring to IAH from the BOS area. I have a good idea of the
pros.....how about the cons?

http://www.newbid.net/index.asp

Otis Winslow
March 17th 04, 10:41 PM
You won't get to wear all your nice winter clothes. You won't get to use 4
wheel drive.
And that snow shovel will be wasted. Think how depressing it will be with NO
cold
and white stuff.

"old man" > wrote in message
> Thinking of transferring to IAH from the BOS area. I have a good idea of
the
> pros.....how about the cons?
>

> http://www.newbid.net/index.asp

Dan Luke
March 19th 04, 02:14 AM
> .....how about the cons?

Be ready for 5 solid months of hot summer with practically unbreathable
humidity and smog. Also some of the worst traffic in the U. S. - the
freeways are a nightmare. Great restaurant town, though.

Houston has been described as Los Angeles with the climate of Calcutta.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Tom Hughes
March 19th 04, 03:45 AM
and sometimes when it rains, it rains all at once...........
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message
> > .....how about the cons?
>
> Be ready for 5 solid months of hot summer with practically unbreathable
> humidity and smog. Also some of the worst traffic in the U. S. - the
> freeways are a nightmare. Great restaurant town, though.
>
> Houston has been described as Los Angeles with the climate of Calcutta.
>
> --
> Dan
> C172RG at BFM
> (remove pants to reply by email)

old man
March 20th 04, 03:01 AM
It's got to be better than here. I would welcome global warming in BOS area.
Last 2 winters have been miserable and long.

jjp
March 25th 04, 09:18 PM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message >...
> > .....how about the cons?
>
> Be ready for 5 solid months of hot summer with practically unbreathable

But the rest of the year is quite nice.

> humidity and smog. Also some of the worst traffic in the U. S. - the

I think it still ranks behind L.A., Seattle, Atlanta, NY...

> freeways are a nightmare. Great restaurant town, though.
>
> Houston has been described as Los Angeles with the climate of Calcutta.

I don't know that I'd describe it as Los Angeles in any way other than
the sprawling nature. In most other ways, I think it is very favorable
over L.A.

old man
March 29th 04, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info.....I put in bid cards for IAH and Aus...it's 34 degrees
and we are into the 9th day of spring.

Lou

http://www.newbid.net/index.asp

JK in TX
April 3rd 04, 03:23 PM
IAH is great if you're federal civil service - they get more than 20%
supplement to their base pay in what's called "locality pay."

AUS gets the standard CONUS 10.9%.

AUS drawback (versus IAH): Austin area traffic is HORRENDOUS for the size
of the town. True, Houston traffic is overall worse, but AUS doesn't have
the big city conveniences (pro sports, non-stop hub service.) Also, housing
in Austin is SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive than Houston.

Most air carriers at AUS are shifting to a more extensive RJ operation. UAL
has about 15 daily deps from AUS, only two are mainline carrier aircraft,
all the others are RJs - either Air Wisconsin or Mesa - and an RJ from AUS
to IAD or SFO is just outright PAINFUL.

PS... April 3rd, 80 and sunny in AUS. :-)

"old man" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the info.....I put in bid cards for IAH and Aus...it's 34
degrees
> and we are into the 9th day of spring.
>
> Lou
>

> http://www.newbid.net/index.asp

James M. Knox
April 4th 04, 06:59 PM
"old man" > wrote in

> Thanks for the info.....I put in bid cards for IAH and Aus...it's 34
> degrees and we are into the 9th day of spring.

Interestingly, that's almost exactly what it was in Austin also... Of
course, ours was in degrees C. [Hit the low 90's...]

jmk

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721

jjp
April 4th 04, 11:03 PM
"JK in TX" > wrote in message . net>...
> IAH is great if you're federal civil service - they get more than 20%
> supplement to their base pay in what's called "locality pay."
>
> AUS gets the standard CONUS 10.9%.
>
> AUS drawback (versus IAH): Austin area traffic is HORRENDOUS for the size
> of the town. True, Houston traffic is overall worse, but AUS doesn't have
> the big city conveniences (pro sports, non-stop hub service.) Also, housing
> in Austin is SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive than Houston.

This is true -- both cities have very bad rush hour traffic, but
Austin's is much worse than would be expected for that size city.

Austin's also missing the big-city things such as top-notch
culture/arts, museums, great dining scene, etc. But it has good
outdoor recreation.

> Most air carriers at AUS are shifting to a more extensive RJ operation. UAL
> has about 15 daily deps from AUS, only two are mainline carrier aircraft,
> all the others are RJs - either Air Wisconsin or Mesa - and an RJ from AUS
> to IAD or SFO is just outright PAINFUL.
>
> PS... April 3rd, 80 and sunny in AUS. :-)
>

> "old man" > wrote in message
> > Thanks for the info.....I put in bid cards for IAH and Aus...it's 34
> degrees
> > and we are into the 9th day of spring.
> >
> > Lou
> >

> > http://www.newbid.net/index.asp

James M. Knox
April 5th 04, 02:58 PM
(jjp) wrote in
om:

> Austin's also missing the big-city things such as top-notch
> culture/arts, museums, great dining scene, etc. But it has good
> outdoor recreation.

Hey, we got culture. Why, the Spam-O-Rama was just last week!!!
{seriously}

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721

jjp
April 6th 04, 05:24 AM
"James M. Knox" > wrote in message >...
> (jjp) wrote in
> om:
>
> > Austin's also missing the big-city things such as top-notch
> > culture/arts, museums, great dining scene, etc. But it has good
> > outdoor recreation.
>
> Hey, we got culture. Why, the Spam-O-Rama was just last week!!!
> {seriously}

Well of course! And isn't Eeyore's B-day coming up?

-- JP, former Austinite

> James M. Knox
> TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
> 1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
> Austin, Tx 78721

DW Smith
April 8th 04, 10:25 PM
"jjp" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dan Luke" > wrote in message
> > > .....how about the cons?
> >
> > Be ready for 5 solid months of hot summer with practically unbreathable
>
> But the rest of the year is quite nice.
>
> > humidity and smog. Also some of the worst traffic in the U. S. - the
>
> I think it still ranks behind L.A., Seattle, Atlanta, NY...
>
> > freeways are a nightmare. Great restaurant town, though.
> >
> > Houston has been described as Los Angeles with the climate of Calcutta.
>
> I don't know that I'd describe it as Los Angeles in any way other than
> the sprawling nature. In most other ways, I think it is very favorable
> over L.A.

Absolutely! Houston is much better than LA. As far as terrible traffic is
concerned, I agree that HOU ranks behind Seattle and L.A. I lived in Houston
for 16 years and Seattle for 14 and trust me, the traffic here in Seattle is
some of the worst I have ever driven in. Simply horrendous. Houston, due to
its ability to expand, gives motorists more choices for getting around heavy
traffic. Seattle, forget it. You're stuck on one of two freeways with no
choices. And yes, I do travel back every year so I know how it has changed.
Worse, yes but still better than SEA and L.A.

DW

Google