PDA

View Full Version : Moving Time

Rogue AI
March 17th 04, 08:56 PM
Hi All,

Due to a new job I am moving from sunny Central Florida (DED) to
North-Eastern Ohio (either Columbus or Akron). Having never flown in that
area, I don't know what to expect in terms of FBO's, GA friendly airports,
etc. Any tips that ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

Richard Graves

Eclipsme
March 17th 04, 09:18 PM
I am so sorry to have to be the one to tell you this. Flying in Ohio is
terrible. You will not get any use out of your plane. You would be much
better off leaving it with me here in sunny central Florida, where it knows
its way around. Just respond to this message and I will pick up the airplane
from you and keep it where it will be happy!

Sincerely,
Harvey

"Rogue AI" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi All,
>
> Due to a new job I am moving from sunny Central Florida (DED) to
> North-Eastern Ohio (either Columbus or Akron). Having never flown in that
> area, I don't know what to expect in terms of FBO's, GA friendly airports,
> etc. Any tips that ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Graves

Matt Emerson
March 17th 04, 09:57 PM
"Rogue AI" > writes:

> Due to a new job I am moving from sunny Central Florida (DED) to
> North-Eastern Ohio (either Columbus or Akron). Having never flown in that
> area, I don't know what to expect in terms of FBO's, GA friendly airports,
> etc. Any tips that ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Well, Columbus isn't exactly northeast Ohio, so I won't talk about that.

Around Akron (and in the northeast Ohio area), there are
tons of little airports. Really, there are tons of little
airports all over the state.

I have never been to AKR (Akron Municipal), though it looks
quite nice. I also have never flown into CAK.

Smaller aiports (all untowered) include:
3G3 (Wadsworth Municipal)
There's a flight school here, and they have aircraft for rent.
I think there's a glider operation here, too. I plan to check
the gliders out this summer.

15G (Welzien Skypark)
This airport has a small runway (2300x37ft), but is generally
a pretty busy place. The flight school is very active, and the rental
rates are cheap (something like $35/hr wet for a Cessna 150).

If you want a hangar, you can probably get one there for not a
lot of money per month. My 1963 Mooney is based there. I have
been wishing this winter that I was at a bigger airport with
good snow removal, and in a hangar with an electric bi-fold door,
but I have Cadillac taste, and a Chevrolet budget, as the saying goes.

1G5 (Medina Municipal)
I wish I could be based here, but the hangar situation is
not as good as at 15G. They also have a flight school and
rent some aircraft, but their rates are higher than at 15G,
and they have fewer airplanes.

BJJ (Wayne County)
5000 ft runway, as nice as can be. I suppose that the Rubbermaid
corporate jet will be leaving it soon, since they're moving
their headquarters away from Wooster.

These are just some airports I happen to be familiar with. You should
be able to look these up on Airnav and find out some more particulars.
Get a Detroit sectional and a Cincinnati sectional, and you'll see
that airports are everywhere.

--
Matt Emerson

Rogue AI
March 17th 04, 11:01 PM
"Eclipsme" > wrote in message
. ..
> I am so sorry to have to be the one to tell you this. Flying in Ohio is
> terrible. You will not get any use out of your plane. You would be much
> better off leaving it with me here in sunny central Florida, where it
knows
> its way around. Just respond to this message and I will pick up the
airplane
> from you and keep it where it will be happy!
>
> Sincerely,
> Harvey

Wish I had a plane that I could call my own, unfortunately, I am a lowly
renter, at least for a while yet. :-)

-RMG

Ben Jackson
March 17th 04, 11:51 PM
In article >,
Eclipsme > wrote:
>I am so sorry to have to be the one to tell you this. Flying in Ohio is
>terrible. You will not get any use out of your plane. You would be much
>better off leaving it with me here in sunny central Florida,

That's crazy! As anyone who has shopped for a used aircraft can tell
you, Florida is some kind of airplane virus. It attacks the panel and
causes a stormscope to be installed.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

G.R. Patterson III
March 18th 04, 12:19 AM
Rogue AI wrote:

> Any tips that ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

First off, forget you ever used the term "y'all".

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.

Jon Kraus
March 18th 04, 01:19 AM
Can you spell IFR..... :-)

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA

Rogue AI wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Due to a new job I am moving from sunny Central Florida (DED) to
>North-Eastern Ohio (either Columbus or Akron). Having never flown in that
>area, I don't know what to expect in terms of FBO's, GA friendly airports,
>etc. Any tips that ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated!!
>
>Regards,
>
>Richard Graves

Teacherjh
March 18th 04, 02:04 AM
>> Can you spell IFR..... :-)

Yup. I C E

Jose

Terry
March 18th 04, 02:47 AM
Hi Richard..

Delaware Ohio (DLZ) 20 miles north of Columbus. Great
FBO with 100LL at $2.38. Excellent rental fleet consisting of
Debs, 150's,172's, Citabria and others. Credit Card fueling so
you can get fuel 24/7. Tie down for my cessna is $30.00 per
month.
Hope this helps...

Terry N6401F

Rogue AI wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Due to a new job I am moving from sunny Central Florida (DED) to
> North-Eastern Ohio (either Columbus or Akron). Having never flown in that
> area, I don't know what to expect in terms of FBO's, GA friendly airports,
> etc. Any tips that ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Graves

Andrew Sarangan
March 18th 04, 04:26 AM
Ohio has many small airports. I live in Dayton, and there are about 20
public airports within a 25 mile radius. Yes they are all very GA
friendly.

"Rogue AI" > wrote in message >...
> Hi All,
>
> Due to a new job I am moving from sunny Central Florida (DED) to
> North-Eastern Ohio (either Columbus or Akron). Having never flown in that
> area, I don't know what to expect in terms of FBO's, GA friendly airports,
> etc. Any tips that ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Graves

bill
March 18th 04, 07:54 PM
In article >,
"Rogue AI" > wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Due to a new job I am moving from sunny Central Florida (DED) to
> North-Eastern Ohio (either Columbus or Akron). Having never flown in that
> area, I don't know what to expect in terms of FBO's, GA friendly airports,
> etc. Any tips that ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Graves

I recently moved near AKR, and just started my ground school there. Very
nice pilot facilities and plenty of watering holes in the area (complete
w/local strip bar :-)

Rogue AI
March 18th 04, 09:26 PM
All,

Thanks for all of the input!

-RMG ;-)

"Rogue AI" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi All,
>
> Due to a new job I am moving from sunny Central Florida (DED) to
> North-Eastern Ohio (either Columbus or Akron). Having never flown in that
> area, I don't know what to expect in terms of FBO's, GA friendly airports,
> etc. Any tips that ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Graves

Google