PDA

View Full Version : trying to land amid funnel clouds

Aardvark
March 18th 04, 02:03 AM
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- A Northwest Airlines pilot must give up his
flying privileges for 45 days for trying to land at the Sioux Falls
airport despite warnings of high winds and funnel clouds, according to
federal aviation officials.

The rest of the story at
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J137322C7

Capt.Doug
March 21st 04, 02:55 AM
>"Aardvark" wrote in message > SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- A Northwest >Airlines
pilot must give up his
> flying privileges for 45 days for trying to land at the Sioux Falls
> airport despite warnings of high winds and funnel clouds, according to
> federal aviation officials.

This is a bull**** case unless they have actual flight data. I suspect they
don't.

D.

nooneimportant
March 21st 04, 03:20 AM
Just kind of curious... Wouldn't the other pilot be equally responsible for
not aborting? Article did not state weather PF was FO or CPT at that time,
but if it was FO why is the CPT not also being suspended? Article does seem
to scaremonger it a bit so I am giving benefit of doubt to flightcrew, but
aren't both pilots responsible for actions in flight?

"Aardvark" > wrote in message
. ..
> SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- A Northwest Airlines pilot must give up his
> flying privileges for 45 days for trying to land at the Sioux Falls
> airport despite warnings of high winds and funnel clouds, according to
> federal aviation officials.
>

> The rest of the story at
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?J137322C7

Capt.Doug
March 22nd 04, 01:08 AM
>"nooneimportant" wrote in message >but
> aren't both pilots responsible for actions in flight?

Both are responsible. However, the captain always has final authority. When
disciplinary actions are upheld, the captain's punishment is usually more
severe.

In this particular case, I don't know that I wouldn't have done the same as
that crew did. Only they were there. The FAA inspector wasn't.

D.

Google