PDA

View Full Version : So maybe we're not Spaniards

Judah
March 21st 04, 03:27 AM
To think, the whole lengthy, periodically mean-spirited, often
accusational, and sometimes borderline insane thread started because Jay
was trying to wish good tidings to the victims of the terror attack in
Spain....

And now the whole world, and the whole newsgroup, has been changed for
ever...

Thomas Borchert
March 21st 04, 09:43 AM
Judah,

glad I left that thread out...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Jay Honeck
March 21st 04, 01:49 PM
> glad I left that thread out...

Actually, it was one of the more fascinating threads I've seen here for a
while.

Sad, but fascinating all the same.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Thomas Borchert
March 21st 04, 03:23 PM
Jay,

well, if you say it - marked for download. I'll hold you responsible.
;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Thomas Borchert
March 21st 04, 03:36 PM
Jay,

I have cross-read it. Fascinating, indeed. And I have to say, I found
it reassuring rather than sad. Good to see that there are still people
not falling for the "We can stop terrorism" thing that easily.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

C J Campbell
March 21st 04, 04:15 PM
"Judah" > wrote in message
> To think, the whole lengthy, periodically mean-spirited, often
> accusational, and sometimes borderline insane thread started because Jay
> was trying to wish good tidings to the victims of the terror attack in
> Spain....
>
> And now the whole world, and the whole newsgroup, has been changed for
> ever...

Nothing has changed. We still are not Spaniards. We are nothing but
meaningless motes in the vast blackness of space, presumptuously believing
that anything we say or do is more than the random actions of bags of
chemicals. What difference does it make to the infinite universe whether we
kill each other or just paint ourselves blue? In the end, we are all dead
anyway.

We call mad those who have discovered a small portion of the true order of
things, and delude ourselves that we are the sane ones. Only sometimes in
the small hours of the night, when the brain's defenses have weakened and
the ancient portals have cracked just enough to let in the darkness from
beyond the Void do we begin to feel the clammy hands of Death reaching for
us. The hairs stiffen, the skin prickles, and only in the silence of the
night do we begin to really hear the terrible cacophony of voices that never
cease to scream out their despair. Drowning in fear and rage at their
powerlessness, some men strike out at the cruel galactic joke that mankind
is. Are such persons really terrorists or they simply ordinary men whose
minds have snapped, unable to handle the cognitive dissonance of our
delusions and the horrible nightmare that awaits us?

We distract ourselves with technological marvels made of nothing but dust
and air, trusting that a few moments of flight will help us forget the
nature of the cloudy hell through which we wander. We vainly imagine that
insignificant movements of 'up' or 'down' are somehow any different than the
random bumpings of molecules imprisoned by light and gravity. The ancient
clouds wait to receive us with their grasping tentacles. We are no more
intelligent or self aware than they are. To them we are but playthings, to
be led astray in mists of darkness and smashed back into the mud and slime
from whence we crawled. With the setting of the sun we begin to see the
blood red nature of these antediluvian towers of evil.

Only the gibbering souls who lie sleepless on the stone floors of asylums
might answer. The Old Ones from beyond the cold, unfeeling stars know the
truth. We are not Spaniards. We are food.

Michael Nouak
March 21st 04, 06:42 PM
This has got to be one of the best posts in this NG ever.

Mike

"C J Campbell" > schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

> "Judah" > wrote in message
> > To think, the whole lengthy, periodically mean-spirited, often
> > accusational, and sometimes borderline insane thread started because Jay
> > was trying to wish good tidings to the victims of the terror attack in
> > Spain....
> >
> > And now the whole world, and the whole newsgroup, has been changed for
> > ever...
> >

> Nothing has changed. We still are not Spaniards. We are nothing but
> meaningless motes in the vast blackness of space, presumptuously believing
> that anything we say or do is more than the random actions of bags of
> chemicals. What difference does it make to the infinite universe whether
we
> kill each other or just paint ourselves blue? In the end, we are all dead
> anyway.
>
> We call mad those who have discovered a small portion of the true order of
> things, and delude ourselves that we are the sane ones. Only sometimes in
> the small hours of the night, when the brain's defenses have weakened and
> the ancient portals have cracked just enough to let in the darkness from
> beyond the Void do we begin to feel the clammy hands of Death reaching for
> us. The hairs stiffen, the skin prickles, and only in the silence of the
> night do we begin to really hear the terrible cacophony of voices that
never
> cease to scream out their despair. Drowning in fear and rage at their
> powerlessness, some men strike out at the cruel galactic joke that mankind
> is. Are such persons really terrorists or they simply ordinary men whose
> minds have snapped, unable to handle the cognitive dissonance of our
> delusions and the horrible nightmare that awaits us?
>
> We distract ourselves with technological marvels made of nothing but dust
> and air, trusting that a few moments of flight will help us forget the
> nature of the cloudy hell through which we wander. We vainly imagine that
> insignificant movements of 'up' or 'down' are somehow any different than
the
> random bumpings of molecules imprisoned by light and gravity. The ancient
> clouds wait to receive us with their grasping tentacles. We are no more
> intelligent or self aware than they are. To them we are but playthings, to
> be led astray in mists of darkness and smashed back into the mud and slime
> from whence we crawled. With the setting of the sun we begin to see the
> blood red nature of these antediluvian towers of evil.
>
> Only the gibbering souls who lie sleepless on the stone floors of asylums
> might answer. The Old Ones from beyond the cold, unfeeling stars know the
> truth. We are not Spaniards. We are food.

Dan Luke
March 21st 04, 08:02 PM
"Michael Nouak" wrote:
> This has got to be one of the best posts in this NG ever.

Tee-hee!

When Chris gets the bong stoked up, he gets downright extragalactic.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Jay Honeck
March 21st 04, 10:12 PM
> Only the gibbering souls who lie sleepless on the stone floors of asylums
> might answer. The Old Ones from beyond the cold, unfeeling stars know the
> truth. We are not Spaniards. We are food.

Wooooo-doggy, CJ!

Dat was a GOOD one, in an Edgar Allen Poe/Arthur C. Clarke sorta way.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Don Tuite
March 21st 04, 10:43 PM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:12:22 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
> wrote:

>> Only the gibbering souls who lie sleepless on the stone floors of asylums
>> might answer. The Old Ones from beyond the cold, unfeeling stars know the
>> truth. We are not Spaniards. We are food.
>
>Wooooo-doggy, CJ!
>
>Dat was a GOOD one, in an Edgar Allen Poe/Arthur C. Clarke sorta way.

You gotta read some H. P. Lovecraft, Jay.

Don

Jay Honeck
March 21st 04, 10:58 PM
> You gotta read some H. P. Lovecraft, Jay.

I'm trying to find more time to read, period. It's one of my New Year's
resolutions, along with exercising daily.

I finally finished Gene Siebel's excellent "Confessions of a Pilot" -- a
book I purchased over a year ago -- just a couple of days ago. Now I'm
starting Bud Anderson's memoir, "To Fly and Fight."

With Dr. Jim's donation of over 150 books, I'll be in reading material for
quite some time to come...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Fisher
March 21st 04, 11:09 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
The Old Ones from beyond the cold, unfeeling stars know the
> truth. We are not Spaniards. We are food.

To say that all of mankind is but a mote in the Eye of the Old Ones is quite
a stretch. Not to mention depressing as hell.

We have bootstrapped ourselves from the primordial ooze to become the most
intelligent species this side of the Oort. We have accomplished so very
much in the last few seconds of this geologic day. We have so very much
more to do if only we can survive our own stupidity.

Why, we have overcome our natural predilection to be a ground-borne
hunter-gatherers and have conquered a infinitely small amount of space
itself. Even people like Mr. Cambell can inculcate other humans how to do
that in mere hours! Dust motes my asteroid!

We miniscule "dust motes" may be the only self-aware motes in the entire
universe. Some scoff at such a presumption but the universe is still young.
15 b.y. old, we think. Just a teenager. Someone or Something has to be the
"first" to become self aware. Why not us puny bags of saline and carbon?

No, Chris, we are more than the sum of our chemical makeup. We are capable
of being so much more if we don't annihilate ourselves first or allow those
less intelligent than us to annihilate us. I have absolutely no doubt at
all that, given enough time, we will become gods or perhaps even God.
Perhaps we already are.

We think, therefore we are.

--
Jim Fisher

Judah
March 22nd 04, 01:52 AM
OK you guys. You are starting to sound like a Mrin Chronicle now, and it's
just plain scaring me.

I always thought that those books were Science Fiction. But after reading
your transaction, I truly have to wonder if you have found the Spirit of
Torak.

And besides, now that they are making movies out of this stuff, I just
don't have the patience to read it all again...

If you could please call the producers and ask them to include your
discussion in part V of The War of Elvenkind, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

"Jim Fisher" > wrote in
:

> "C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> The Old Ones from beyond the cold, unfeeling stars know the
>> truth. We are not Spaniards. We are food.
>
> To say that all of mankind is but a mote in the Eye of the Old Ones is
> quite a stretch. Not to mention depressing as hell.
>
> We have bootstrapped ourselves from the primordial ooze to become the
> most intelligent species this side of the Oort. We have accomplished
> so very much in the last few seconds of this geologic day. We have so
> very much more to do if only we can survive our own stupidity.
>
> Why, we have overcome our natural predilection to be a ground-borne
> hunter-gatherers and have conquered a infinitely small amount of space
> itself. Even people like Mr. Cambell can inculcate other humans how to
> do that in mere hours! Dust motes my asteroid!
>
> We miniscule "dust motes" may be the only self-aware motes in the
> entire universe. Some scoff at such a presumption but the universe is
> still young. 15 b.y. old, we think. Just a teenager. Someone or
> Something has to be the "first" to become self aware. Why not us puny
> bags of saline and carbon?
>
> No, Chris, we are more than the sum of our chemical makeup. We are
> capable of being so much more if we don't annihilate ourselves first or
> allow those less intelligent than us to annihilate us. I have
> absolutely no doubt at all that, given enough time, we will become gods
> or perhaps even God. Perhaps we already are.
>
> We think, therefore we are.
>
> --
> Jim Fisher

Teacherjh
March 22nd 04, 02:27 AM

Someone or Something has to be the
"first" to become self aware.
<<

Well, er.... no.

Because of the equivalence of space and time, which was discovered (until we
find out otherwise) by a particular bag of chemicals who worked in the patent
office, there is no absolute way to decide what came "first" outside the light
cone.

Jose

Andrew Gideon
March 22nd 04, 07:08 PM
C J Campbell wrote:

> We are not Spaniards. We are food.

Nice to know I've come to the right place for a snack.

- Andrew

Jim Fisher
March 22nd 04, 07:23 PM
"Teacherjh" > wrote in message
there is no absolute way to decide what came "first" outside the light
> cone.

Hey! This is an AMATURE discussion! Teachers and facts are not allowed!

--
Jim Fisher

John Galban
March 22nd 04, 10:19 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message >...

>The Old Ones from beyond the cold, unfeeling stars know the
> truth. We are not Spaniards. We are food.

Been watching the Twilight Zone? A book entitled "To Serve Man"
springs immediately to mind :-)

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Steven P. McNicoll
March 23rd 04, 03:58 AM
"Jim Fisher" > wrote in message

> Hey! This is an AMATURE discussion! Teachers and facts are
> not allowed!

Do you mean an armature discussion? Perhaps you should try the
alt.sculpture or alt.engineering.electrical groups.

Chip Jones
March 23rd 04, 05:08 AM
"Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Jim Fisher" > wrote in message
> >
> > Hey! This is an AMATURE discussion! Teachers and facts are
> > not allowed!
> >

> Do you mean an armature discussion? Perhaps you should try the
> alt.sculpture or alt.engineering.electrical groups.

Dang, and I thought we were gonna start talking Winchesters, Navy Colts, and
the Zen of the 7.62mm...

Chip, ZTL

Tom Sixkiller
March 23rd 04, 02:38 PM
"Chip Jones" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> >
> > "Jim Fisher" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > Hey! This is an AMATURE discussion! Teachers and facts are
> > > not allowed!
> > >

> > Do you mean an armature discussion? Perhaps you should try the
> > alt.sculpture or alt.engineering.electrical groups.
> >

> Dang, and I thought we were gonna start talking Winchesters, Navy Colts,
and
> the Zen of the 7.62mm...

I thought it had to do with Spanish Mausers.

Paul Sengupta
March 26th 04, 01:33 PM
"Tom Sixkiller" > wrote in message
> I thought it had to do with Spanish Mausers.

Swedish Masseuse.

Paul

Google