PDA

View Full Version : Flying down the Hudson River

SeeAndAvoid
March 21st 04, 06:21 PM
I'll be flying out of White Plains, NY (HPN) to Allentown, PA (ABE) in early
June and would like to fly down the Hudson River to the Statue of Liberty
then west. It looks like the Class B and TEB's Class D would allow this at
1000' MSL without any clearance or approval, am I right in this assumption?
Anyone done in recently, especially after 9/11? The tops of those bridges
look mighty tall, like less than 500' clearance flying below the floor of
the Class B. Is this a busy and heavily traveled corridor? It'll be a
Saturday.
Thanks, Chris

Bill Zaleski
March 21st 04, 06:46 PM
I flew it just yesterday. If you stay below 1100MSL, you need no
clearance. Monitor 123.05 which is the river CTAF

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:21:08 GMT, "SeeAndAvoid"
> wrote:

>I'll be flying out of White Plains, NY (HPN) to Allentown, PA (ABE) in early
>June and would like to fly down the Hudson River to the Statue of Liberty
>then west. It looks like the Class B and TEB's Class D would allow this at
>1000' MSL without any clearance or approval, am I right in this assumption?
>Anyone done in recently, especially after 9/11? The tops of those bridges
>look mighty tall, like less than 500' clearance flying below the floor of
>the Class B. Is this a busy and heavily traveled corridor? It'll be a
>Saturday.
>Thanks, Chris

rip
March 21st 04, 09:07 PM
Like Bill said; and treat the river as a highway. Keep to the right in
both directions. A Class B chart is mighty handy if you've never done
this before. There's a lot of little details (like the 500 foot airspace
floor behind The Lady).

Rip

Bill Zaleski wrote:

> I flew it just yesterday. If you stay below 1100MSL, you need no
> clearance. Monitor 123.05 which is the river CTAF
>

> On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:21:08 GMT, "SeeAndAvoid"
> > wrote:
>

>>I'll be flying out of White Plains, NY (HPN) to Allentown, PA (ABE) in early
>>June and would like to fly down the Hudson River to the Statue of Liberty
>>then west. It looks like the Class B and TEB's Class D would allow this at
>>1000' MSL without any clearance or approval, am I right in this assumption?
>>Anyone done in recently, especially after 9/11? The tops of those bridges
>>look mighty tall, like less than 500' clearance flying below the floor of
>>the Class B. Is this a busy and heavily traveled corridor? It'll be a
>>Saturday.
>>Thanks, Chris

Peter Gottlieb
March 21st 04, 09:11 PM
Make sure to have the NY terminal area chart. Treat the river like a road,
keep to the right (Northbound on Manhattan side, Southbound on Jersey side).
Frequently self-announce your position on 123.05 and watch out for sometimes
heavy tour helicopter traffic, especially around the "Lady." If you circle
her, do it at 500 feet and go in the same direction as the helis. They are
pros and know what they are doing but can't read your mind, so when you get
close to the lady announce your intentions; now is not the time to be shy on
the radio. When coming in from the North be at 1000 feet by the Alpine
tower and that is also your first reporting point. Keep your speed at 90
kts and for this trip have every light and strobe on that you have. Keep
your head on a swivel for other traffic. Stay over the river, but close to
the sides. For crossing the bridges you may want to be more in the middle
as the towers are somewhat high. Monitor 121.5 on comm 2. And make
absolutely sure to get a briefing for any last minute TFRs (sporting,
whatever). A Saturday with nice weather will tend to be a busy time there,
but if you are careful it is quite safe.

Peter

"SeeAndAvoid" > wrote in message
link.net...
> I'll be flying out of White Plains, NY (HPN) to Allentown, PA (ABE) in
early
> June and would like to fly down the Hudson River to the Statue of Liberty
> then west. It looks like the Class B and TEB's Class D would allow this
at
> 1000' MSL without any clearance or approval, am I right in this
assumption?
> Anyone done in recently, especially after 9/11? The tops of those bridges
> look mighty tall, like less than 500' clearance flying below the floor of
> the Class B. Is this a busy and heavily traveled corridor? It'll be a
> Saturday.
> Thanks, Chris

Bill Zaleski
March 21st 04, 11:50 PM
I agree with everything else posted, except in a fixed wing, I circle
the statue @900' and stay well about the helo's. They don't usually
go above 500'. Stay tight when on the West side, as the Class B goes
down real quick.

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:11:01 GMT, "Peter Gottlieb"
> wrote:

>Make sure to have the NY terminal area chart. Treat the river like a road,
>keep to the right (Northbound on Manhattan side, Southbound on Jersey side).
>Frequently self-announce your position on 123.05 and watch out for sometimes
>heavy tour helicopter traffic, especially around the "Lady." If you circle
>her, do it at 500 feet and go in the same direction as the helis. They are
>pros and know what they are doing but can't read your mind, so when you get
>close to the lady announce your intentions; now is not the time to be shy on
>the radio. When coming in from the North be at 1000 feet by the Alpine
>tower and that is also your first reporting point. Keep your speed at 90
>kts and for this trip have every light and strobe on that you have. Keep
>your head on a swivel for other traffic. Stay over the river, but close to
>the sides. For crossing the bridges you may want to be more in the middle
>as the towers are somewhat high. Monitor 121.5 on comm 2. And make
>absolutely sure to get a briefing for any last minute TFRs (sporting,
>whatever). A Saturday with nice weather will tend to be a busy time there,
>but if you are careful it is quite safe.
>
>Peter
>
>"SeeAndAvoid" > wrote in message
link.net...
>> I'll be flying out of White Plains, NY (HPN) to Allentown, PA (ABE) in
>early
>> June and would like to fly down the Hudson River to the Statue of Liberty
>> then west. It looks like the Class B and TEB's Class D would allow this
>at
>> 1000' MSL without any clearance or approval, am I right in this
>assumption?
>> Anyone done in recently, especially after 9/11? The tops of those bridges
>> look mighty tall, like less than 500' clearance flying below the floor of
>> the Class B. Is this a busy and heavily traveled corridor? It'll be a
>> Saturday.
>> Thanks, Chris

Darkwing Duck
March 22nd 04, 12:12 AM
"SeeAndAvoid" > wrote in message
link.net...
> I'll be flying out of White Plains, NY (HPN) to Allentown, PA (ABE) in
early
> June and would like to fly down the Hudson River to the Statue of Liberty
> then west. It looks like the Class B and TEB's Class D would allow this
at
> 1000' MSL without any clearance or approval, am I right in this
assumption?
> Anyone done in recently, especially after 9/11? The tops of those bridges
> look mighty tall, like less than 500' clearance flying below the floor of
> the Class B. Is this a busy and heavily traveled corridor? It'll be a
> Saturday.
> Thanks, Chris

Doing stuff like that is what makes GA awesome.

Peter Gottlieb
March 22nd 04, 01:30 AM
"Darkwing Duck" > wrote in message

> Doing stuff like that is what makes GA awesome.

I always try to take visitors to the area on such a flight. My favorite
time is late in the day as the orange sun lights up the Manhattan buildings,
but I also like doing the flight at night - truly awesome also.

I'm going to do the helicopter tour (or two) one day also.

RM
March 22nd 04, 03:57 PM
You can also pick up the New York Helicopter Route Chart, which,
at 1:25,000, shows even more detail than the VFR terminal area
chart. All the FBOs in the area are likely to stock it.

rip > wrote in message >...
> Like Bill said; and treat the river as a highway. Keep to the right in
> both directions. A Class B chart is mighty handy if you've never done
> this before. There's a lot of little details (like the 500 foot airspace
> floor behind The Lady).
>
> Rip
>
> Bill Zaleski wrote:
>
> > I flew it just yesterday. If you stay below 1100MSL, you need no
> > clearance. Monitor 123.05 which is the river CTAF
> >

> > On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:21:08 GMT, "SeeAndAvoid"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I'll be flying out of White Plains, NY (HPN) to Allentown, PA (ABE) in early
> >>June and would like to fly down the Hudson River to the Statue of Liberty
> >>then west. It looks like the Class B and TEB's Class D would allow this at
> >>1000' MSL without any clearance or approval, am I right in this assumption?
> >>Anyone done in recently, especially after 9/11? The tops of those bridges
> >>look mighty tall, like less than 500' clearance flying below the floor of
> >>the Class B. Is this a busy and heavily traveled corridor? It'll be a
> >>Saturday.
> >>Thanks, Chris

Bob Chilcoat
March 22nd 04, 09:56 PM
It was better before 911: http://users.erols.com/viewptmd/Liberty.jpg,
http://users.erols.com/viewptmd/Trade Center.jpg
(taken from a Cherokee a few months before)

"Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message
et...

> "Darkwing Duck" > wrote in message
> >
> > Doing stuff like that is what makes GA awesome.
>

> I always try to take visitors to the area on such a flight. My favorite
> time is late in the day as the orange sun lights up the Manhattan
buildings,
> but I also like doing the flight at night - truly awesome also.
>
> I'm going to do the helicopter tour (or two) one day also.

Peter Gottlieb
March 23rd 04, 12:13 AM
Yeah? Like who? I've asked everywhere I've been and nobody had it.

"RM" > wrote in message
om...
> You can also pick up the New York Helicopter Route Chart, which,
> at 1:25,000, shows even more detail than the VFR terminal area
> chart. All the FBOs in the area are likely to stock it.
>

> rip > wrote in message
> > Like Bill said; and treat the river as a highway. Keep to the right in
> > both directions. A Class B chart is mighty handy if you've never done
> > this before. There's a lot of little details (like the 500 foot airspace
> > floor behind The Lady).
> >
> > Rip
> >
> > Bill Zaleski wrote:
> >
> > > I flew it just yesterday. If you stay below 1100MSL, you need no
> > > clearance. Monitor 123.05 which is the river CTAF
> > >

> > > On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:21:08 GMT, "SeeAndAvoid"

Liberty

MichaelR
March 23rd 04, 12:45 AM
http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did=19&product_id=4071

"Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message
et...
> Yeah? Like who? I've asked everywhere I've been and nobody had it.
>
> "RM" > wrote in message
> om...
> > You can also pick up the New York Helicopter Route Chart, which,
> > at 1:25,000, shows even more detail than the VFR terminal area
> > chart. All the FBOs in the area are likely to stock it.

Hudson Valley Amusement
March 23rd 04, 01:39 AM
a good website with info on the corridor trip. I have done it several times
and it is quite breathtaking although a bit nervewracking. Good luck and bring
a camera if you have a passenger with you. Don't try to take pics while flying
down the corridor. Your attention will be required elsewhere.

http://www.carneyaviation.com/nyctour/nyctour.htm

G.R. Patterson III
March 23rd 04, 01:49 AM
SeeAndAvoid wrote:

> I'll be flying out of White Plains, NY (HPN) to Allentown, PA (ABE) in early
> June and would like to fly down the Hudson River to the Statue of Liberty
> then west. It looks like the Class B and TEB's Class D would allow this at
> 1000' MSL without any clearance or approval, am I right in this assumption?

That's correct.

> Anyone done in recently, especially after 9/11?

I ran the corridor about a month ago.

> The tops of those bridges
> look mighty tall, like less than 500' clearance flying below the floor of
> the Class B.

Stay in the middle of the river at 1,000' ASL over the bridges and announce on
the common traffic frequency. Stay to the right side of the river everywhere
except the bridges.

> Is this a busy and heavily traveled corridor? It'll be a Saturday.

Maybe. It was not busy (except for the choppers down low) the last time I ran
it, and it has been less busy in the last few years than before 9/11, but it can
still have some traffic on a weekend.

You should pick up a NY terminal chart. It has a variety of landmarks not on the
sectional. It also has the common traffic frequencies. VFR traffic usually
announces at the bridges, the alpine tower, the Intrepid (an aircraft carrier
moored in lower Manhattan, the Battery, "the Lady" (Statue of Liberty), and
sometimes the two tunnels (which can be seen due to their ventilation system
buildings). The sightseeing choppers will usually not announce location but will
instead carry on their own private conversations. They tend to stay at or below
500'.

Turn *all* your lights on and keep an eye out for traffic coming into the corridor
from the New England area about half a mile above where the Harlem river enters
the Hudson.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.

Peter Gottlieb
March 23rd 04, 02:34 AM
Yes, of course I know I can get it online.

"MichaelR" > wrote in message
> http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did=19&product_id=4071
>

> "Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message
> et...
> > Yeah? Like who? I've asked everywhere I've been and nobody had it.
> >
> > "RM" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > You can also pick up the New York Helicopter Route Chart, which,
> > > at 1:25,000, shows even more detail than the VFR terminal area
> > > chart. All the FBOs in the area are likely to stock it.

Peter Clark
March 23rd 04, 01:09 PM
>"RM" > wrote in message
om...
>> You can also pick up the New York Helicopter Route Chart, which,
>> at 1:25,000, shows even more detail than the VFR terminal area
>> chart. All the FBOs in the area are likely to stock it.

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:13:09 GMT, "Peter Gottlieb"
> wrote:

>Yeah? Like who? I've asked everywhere I've been and nobody had it.

Strange. You could always get it from Sporty's -
http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=4071&CATID=92

RM
March 23rd 04, 02:58 PM
"Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message >...
> Yeah? Like who? I've asked everywhere I've been and nobody had it.
>
> "RM" > wrote in message
> om...
> > You can also pick up the New York Helicopter Route Chart, which,
> > at 1:25,000, shows even more detail than the VFR terminal area
> > chart. All the FBOs in the area are likely to stock it.

I got mine at one of the FBOs at Danburry (DXR). Sorry, don't remember
the name. One on the southwest side of the airport.

Did you check with Panorama? I'd have expected them to have it, but never asked.

Jack Cunniff
March 23rd 04, 05:06 PM
"Peter Gottlieb" > writes:

>Yeah? Like who? I've asked everywhere I've been and nobody had it.

Peter, if you stop at Sky Acres (which is just north of Westchester), they
usually have a copy of the Helicopter Route Chart.

I'd also steer folks toward a very nice write-up on flying the corridor,
at http://www.germaise.com/interests/aviation_flyinghudson1.htm
It's a very complete job. Even if you're not going to fly the Hudson
Corridor, it's a good read.

-Jack

>"RM" > wrote in message
om...
>> You can also pick up the New York Helicopter Route Chart, which,
>> at 1:25,000, shows even more detail than the VFR terminal area
>> chart. All the FBOs in the area are likely to stock it.

SeeAndAvoid
March 24th 04, 12:28 AM
Thanks to everyone for the advice, I'm going to get the NYC Terminal chart
about a month before the trip - looks like a good time.

I had a question about the "blue" or "tower cab" route that goes right over
LGA: is that a one way deal only? Like I said I'll be coming down from HPN
southbound. I had planned to head west to the Hudson and fly right down it.
But if I can fly that other route over LGA, Central Park, then down the
Hudson, that'd be sweet.

Thanks again, Chris

Peter Gottlieb
March 24th 04, 12:44 AM
Panorama doesn't carry them.

"RM" > wrote in message
om...
> "Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message
> > Yeah? Like who? I've asked everywhere I've been and nobody had it.
> >
> > "RM" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > You can also pick up the New York Helicopter Route Chart, which,
> > > at 1:25,000, shows even more detail than the VFR terminal area
> > > chart. All the FBOs in the area are likely to stock it.
> > >

> I got mine at one of the FBOs at Danburry (DXR). Sorry, don't remember
> the name. One on the southwest side of the airport.
>
> Did you check with Panorama? I'd have expected them to have it, but never
asked.

Andrew Gideon
March 24th 04, 06:26 PM
You can read about a pair of my Hudson flights at:

http://www.gideon.org/andrew/PhotoAlbum/Flying/

The "trip *over*" might be of interest, as I overflew Manhatten and the East
River as well as the Hudson. I just wish my passenger had greater facility
with his camera <sigh>.

- Andrew

Google