PDA

View Full Version : Official observer question

Larry Suter
June 25th 13, 12:57 PM
The SSA form wants me to check a box saying "File security checked using proper software". How on earth would I go about doing that for a Nano flight recorder?

FWIW, I downloaded the pilot's file from the Nano, looked at it on SeeYou and it all seems fine to me.

Thanks,
Larry

Greg Delp
June 25th 13, 01:09 PM
On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:57:30 AM UTC-4, Larry Suter wrote:
> The SSA form wants me to check a box saying "File security checked using proper software". How on earth would I go about doing that for a Nano flight recorder?
>

> FWIW, I downloaded the pilot's file from the Nano, looked at it on SeeYou and it all seems fine to me.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Larry

You need to download the IGC LXNAV DLL Shell file discussed in the FAI approval document for the Nano. It can be found here http://www.fai.org/igc-documents

Papa3[_2_]
June 26th 13, 03:28 PM
On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:57:30 AM UTC-4, Larry Suter wrote:
> The SSA form wants me to check a box saying "File security checked using proper software". How on earth would I go about doing that for a Nano flight recorder?
>

> FWIW, I downloaded the pilot's file from the Nano, looked at it on SeeYou and it all seems fine to me.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Larry

Hi Larry,

Expanding a little bit on what Greg wrote below. Part of the OO's job is to make sure that nobody tampered with the file at some point and/or that the device itself hasn't been tampered with. The way the IGC approved FRs do this is through a security "stamp" that's added to the IGC file. It's known as the G-Record, and the manufacturer has to provide an algorithm to decode that G-Record. SeeYou has the ability to run a security check; you may (or may not) have that feature turned on. You would see it on the Analysis page (don't have my laptop with SeeYou loaded with me today, so doing this from memory). If it says "security unknown", you can check it with (I beleive) the Edit function.

The "official" way to do this is to run the Vali program as supplied by the manufacturer. I believe LX is actually pointing you to a copy of the IGC Shell program with their vali DLL here:

http://www.lxnav.com/downloads/software/igc-validation-tool.zip

The really official way is to read the NANO approval doc and do what it says, but that's likely to point you back to the above.

Google