PDA

View Full Version : Making a Wing WheelTow Out Gear?

JohnDeRosa
July 1st 13, 03:30 AM
I am making a wing cuff which will be attached to a small bicycle wheel to become part of my tow out gear.

I have the pattern for the airfoil, the wheel, felt padding material, etc. I just need a design. There are a few to go by on the inter-web but I'd like to pick your collective brains.

Anyone have some pictures for what you created as an example? I have seen them with springs and pistons and such. Is that needed?

Thanks, John

son_of_flubber
July 1st 13, 05:31 AM
If I were building my own "wingwheel", I might start with a unicycle, rather than completely from scratch.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/180-3503939-9071127?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=unicycle&sprefix=unicycle%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aunicycle

The tricky bit is connecting the wing to the unicycle. If you want to get fancy cut off the crank.

Papa3[_2_]
July 1st 13, 01:53 PM
On Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:30:03 PM UTC-4, JohnDeRosa wrote:
> I am making a wing cuff which will be attached to a small bicycle wheel to become part of my tow out gear.
>
> I have the pattern for the airfoil, the wheel, felt padding material, etc. I just need a design. There are a few to go by on the inter-web but I'd like to pick your collective brains.

> Anyone have some pictures for what you created as an example? I have seen them with springs and pistons and such. Is that needed?
>

> Thanks, John

Local ASW-20 whisperer and refurbisher of all things gliding Gregg Leslie (GL) has what I think is one of the best "traditional" designs.

- Aluminum sheet wing cuff (light but strong)
- Padded with medium density blue foam sheet (cheap and easy to replace, good padding, and slightly "grabby" so it doesn't slip)
- Aluminum fork with a simple hinge to fold up.
- Gas strut for shock-absorbing
- Approx 14 inch spoked wheel (probably rear wheel from a large push mower or garden cart)
- Stone-axe simple closure. Uses a piece of pvc pipe that sleeves over two rails (varnished wood) at the trailing edge of the wing. No fiddly hardware, clasps, latches, etc.

I'm trying to find a picture; maybe Gregg will see this and be kind enough to post.

JohnDeRosa
July 1st 13, 08:21 PM
Unicycle - Interesting and inexpensive starting point.

Padding - I was planning on using thick felt. Is the blue foam preferable due to the grabby nature? What is the source and part number if you have it handy?

- John

Papa3[_2_]
July 1st 13, 08:36 PM
On Monday, July 1, 2013 3:21:44 PM UTC-4, JohnDeRosa wrote:
> Unicycle - Interesting and inexpensive starting point.
>

> Padding - I was planning on using thick felt. Is the blue foam preferable due to the grabby nature? What is the source and part number if you have it handy?
>

> - John

Hi John,

Not to get off topic, but if you think about what commonly goes wrong with wing walker wheels and the solutions people have come up with (partial list):

- Too big; make it fold up or make a really small tip cuff/wheel.
- Twists on the wing whenever there is a minor side load; castering wheel or grippy padding.
- Punishes the glider on rough ground; add shock absorbing strut or other suspension.
- Can't get it over winglets; hinged at the trailing edge to slider over wing.
- etc. etc. etc.

Depending on what problem(s) your trying to solve, the design emphasis might be different.

Anyway, as far as the padding is concerned, the blue foam is just standard camping pad material (google something like Coleman Rest Easy) which comes in different thicknesses. One $12 pad would be enough for three wing wheels and it's easy to attach to the cuff with spray adhesive or contact cement. Plus, it probably has more give than felt and the grip from the closed cell foam helps to prevent twisting. Just my view; I'm sure the professionals who fabricate these things have put more thought into it.

Google