PDA

View Full Version : Tour Tours Back?

Jay Honeck
March 27th 04, 01:55 PM
Over on the student group, I was surprised to see that some towers have been
giving tours for the last year.

Since 9/11, our closest Class C tower (Cedar Rapids) has been -- and
remains -- closed to tours.

Is there a rhyme or reason to this?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim
March 27th 04, 02:02 PM
I've taken students to the tower at KCWA several times, and biggest thing it
seems to depend on is their manager and their sense of sensibility.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Over on the student group, I was surprised to see that some towers have
been
> giving tours for the last year.
>
> Since 9/11, our closest Class C tower (Cedar Rapids) has been -- and
> remains -- closed to tours.
>
> Is there a rhyme or reason to this?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Steven P. McNicoll
March 27th 04, 02:02 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

> Over on the student group, I was surprised to see that some towers have
been
> giving tours for the last year.
>
> Since 9/11, our closest Class C tower (Cedar Rapids) has been -- and
> remains -- closed to tours.
>
> Is there a rhyme or reason to this?

No.

Jay Honeck
March 27th 04, 06:07 PM
Yeesh. That'll teach me to post before coffee.

That should read "Tower Tours Back?"
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

dave
March 27th 04, 09:04 PM
I met some of the controllers from KPNE at the FBO Christmas party last
December. They told me that they had just recently opened up for
student tous.
Dave
68 7ECA
Jay Honeck wrote:
> Over on the student group, I was surprised to see that some towers have been
> giving tours for the last year.
>
> Since 9/11, our closest Class C tower (Cedar Rapids) has been -- and
> remains -- closed to tours.
>
> Is there a rhyme or reason to this?

Tom Sixkiller
March 27th 04, 09:07 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Yeesh. That'll teach me to post before coffee.
>
> That should read "Tower Tours Back?"
> --

Before coffee, and after...what?

Jay Honeck
March 28th 04, 03:13 PM
> > Is there a rhyme or reason to this?
> >

> No.

Who decides whether an individual tower give tours or not?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Steven P. McNicoll
March 28th 04, 03:16 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

> Who decides whether an individual tower give tours or not?

Absent any directive from higher authority, the tower manager.

Javier Henderson
March 28th 04, 04:41 PM
"Steven P. McNicoll" > writes:

> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> >
> > Who decides whether an individual tower give tours or not?
> >

> Absent any directive from higher authority, the tower manager.

Last weekend, as I landed at the home field (KSNS), I asked the ground
controller if I could come up for a visit. He enthusiastically said
"sure!", so we went up and spent about a half hour looking around.

I used to try that strategy often, and got to visit several towers
and one TRACON that way (Santa Barbara TRACON, located at the base
of the tower at KSBA). I guess I'll go back to trying it.

-jav

Ryan
March 30th 04, 05:35 PM
I took a tour of Birmingham BHAM last year. They posted notices at the
FBO's of surrounding airports with a number to call to get a reservation and
had a large (30 people or so) group tour. It was very interesting. They
split us into small groups and it lasted a couple of hours. Got to visit
the tower, play with the light guns, watch the approach control guys in the
basement, and they even had a roundtable in a conference room discussing the
details of the airspace and which frequencies work best where. Very worth
my time on a Saturday morning. I was just finishing up my private license
and took my fiance with me. She got more out of it than I did - made her
feel more comfortable flying with me. Plus it made it easier for her to
know what's happening with I get VFR flight following, etc.

"dave" > wrote in message
> I met some of the controllers from KPNE at the FBO Christmas party last
> December. They told me that they had just recently opened up for
> student tous.
> Dave
> 68 7ECA
> Jay Honeck wrote:
> > Over on the student group, I was surprised to see that some towers have
been
> > giving tours for the last year.
> >
> > Since 9/11, our closest Class C tower (Cedar Rapids) has been -- and
> > remains -- closed to tours.
> >
> > Is there a rhyme or reason to this?

Google