PDA

View Full Version : Seeking week long block of training

David Kovar
July 15th 13, 03:54 PM
Good morning,

I started working on my glider rating about 25 years ago and got distracted.. I've since earned my PP-SEL and PP-rotor but it's been awhile since I used those as well.

I'd really like to take a week off of work and dedicate it to some extensive training. To that end, I'm looking for recommendations for US fields that offer training blocks, have a reputation for good instructors, and that have a variety of conditions that will allow me to make the best use of the time. I am tentatively targeting the first week of September for this.

Any recommendations, pro or con, would be most welcome.

-David

Tony[_5_]
July 15th 13, 03:58 PM
On Monday, July 15, 2013 9:54:05 AM UTC-5, David Kovar wrote:
> Good morning, I started working on my glider rating about 25 years ago and got distracted. I've since earned my PP-SEL and PP-rotor but it's been awhile since I used those as well. I'd really like to take a week off of work and dedicate it to some extensive training. To that end, I'm looking for recommendations for US fields that offer training blocks, have a reputation for good instructors, and that have a variety of conditions that will allow me to make the best use of the time. I am tentatively targeting the first week of September for this. Any recommendations, pro or con, would be most welcome. -David

Where are you located? There are plenty of quality commercial gliding schools across the country that can assist you. http://www.ssa.org/map/map.html

Dan Marotta
July 15th 13, 04:09 PM
Sundance Aviation, Moriarty, NM, http://soarsundance.com/

Of course, a lot depends upon where you live and your willingness to travel.

"David Kovar" > wrote in message
Good morning,

I started working on my glider rating about 25 years ago and got distracted.
I've since earned my PP-SEL and PP-rotor but it's been awhile since I used
those as well.

I'd really like to take a week off of work and dedicate it to some extensive
training. To that end, I'm looking for recommendations for US fields that
offer training blocks, have a reputation for good instructors, and that have
a variety of conditions that will allow me to make the best use of the time.
I am tentatively targeting the first week of September for this.

Any recommendations, pro or con, would be most welcome.

-David

Frank Whiteley
July 15th 13, 04:49 PM
On Monday, July 15, 2013 8:54:05 AM UTC-6, David Kovar wrote:
> Good morning,
>
>
>
> I started working on my glider rating about 25 years ago and got distracted. I've since earned my PP-SEL and PP-rotor but it's been awhile since I used those as well.
>
>
>
> I'd really like to take a week off of work and dedicate it to some extensive training. To that end, I'm looking for recommendations for US fields that offer training blocks, have a reputation for good instructors, and that have a variety of conditions that will allow me to make the best use of the time. I am tentatively targeting the first week of September for this.
>
>
>
> Any recommendations, pro or con, would be most welcome.
>
>
>
> -David

Check with Sylvania Soaring Adventures, Beloit, WI, www.soarmidwest.com. Pretty close to your location and can probably meet your goals. A bit further away is Benz Aviation in Ionia, MI. http://www.benzaviation.com/glider_training.html. There are some good glider clubs nearby; Chicago Glider Club and Sky Soaring are a couple. I don't know about available course weeks at those, you'll need to check with them.

Good luck,

Frank Whiteley

son_of_flubber
July 15th 13, 04:51 PM
On Monday, July 15, 2013 10:54:05 AM UTC-4, David Kovar wrote:
>To that end, I'm looking for recommendations for US fields that offer training blocks, have a reputation for good instructors, and that have a variety of conditions that will allow me to make the best use of the time.

Good training weather for a week that you can predict in advance is a gamble.

A great way to get both good weather and a variety of conditions is with Condor http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/condor/CondorCorner-2010-04.pdf You can control the weather and fly at soaring locations all around the world.

You can work with an instructor with Condor over the internet, learn a lot, and then go fly a RL glider for a few days and get your rating. The Condor Corner columns lay this all out.

People seem to love or hate Condor so you will hear a variety of opinions on this idea.

Morgan[_2_]
July 15th 13, 07:58 PM
The folks at SoaringNV in Minden are great.

Williams Soaring is another outstanding operation out west and Rex is a DPE so you could probably work through your training and then schedule your checkride.

Another good option to look into might be Dillingham field on Oahu. I've heard of a few people that had fun there and got through an accelerated training program. Consistent weather and ridge lift certainly helps. Oh, and being in Hawaii doesn't hurt.

Morgan

On Monday, July 15, 2013 7:54:05 AM UTC-7, David Kovar wrote:
> Good morning,
>
>
>
> I started working on my glider rating about 25 years ago and got distracted. I've since earned my PP-SEL and PP-rotor but it's been awhile since I used those as well.
>
>
>
> I'd really like to take a week off of work and dedicate it to some extensive training. To that end, I'm looking for recommendations for US fields that offer training blocks, have a reputation for good instructors, and that have a variety of conditions that will allow me to make the best use of the time. I am tentatively targeting the first week of September for this.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -David

James Lee
July 15th 13, 10:12 PM
On Monday, July 15, 2013 10:54:05 AM UTC-4, David Kovar wrote:
> Good morning,
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -David

http://www.glider.org/ - great school, great people.

Frank Whiteley
July 15th 13, 10:53 PM
On Monday, July 15, 2013 9:49:56 AM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
> On Monday, July 15, 2013 8:54:05 AM UTC-6, David Kovar wrote:
>
> > Good morning,
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > I started working on my glider rating about 25 years ago and got distracted. I've since earned my PP-SEL and PP-rotor but it's been awhile since I used those as well.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > I'd really like to take a week off of work and dedicate it to some extensive training. To that end, I'm looking for recommendations for US fields that offer training blocks, have a reputation for good instructors, and that have a variety of conditions that will allow me to make the best use of the time. I am tentatively targeting the first week of September for this.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Any recommendations, pro or con, would be most welcome.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > -David
>
>
>
> Check with Sylvania Soaring Adventures, Beloit, WI, www.soarmidwest.com. Pretty close to your location and can probably meet your goals. A bit further away is Benz Aviation in Ionia, MI. http://www.benzaviation.com/glider_training.html. There are some good glider clubs nearby; Chicago Glider Club and Sky Soaring are a couple. I don't know about available course weeks at those, you'll need to check with them.
>
>
>
> Good luck,
>
>
>
> Frank Whiteley

David,

I'm going to reply to myself here. As you now know, there are quite a number of commercial operations that will satisfy your requirements and include great, capable staff and facilities. A few include extreme heat, humidity, weather, winds, and altitude. Some of those factors may affect your training. I've known people to sit out a week waiting for the winds to drop. Pushing it in extreme heat is not on, nor conducive to fulfilling your goals, nor is suffering from the effects of high altitude. Currently my state, Colorado, is having quite a monsoon season, so currently daily instruction is doubtful. You have two ratings, which you admit are not currently using. That said, if you get the soaring bug (and I hope you do), you will want to remain a regular participant. Therefore, I suggest you get involved locally, get rated, then visit Florida, Texas, or Arizona after winter sets in. Also check out the Chicago Gliderland Council for off season meetings and their annual seminar. It keeps the juices flowing in that region during the winter. If you really do get the bug, plan now to attend the SSA Convention in Reno during February, 2014. If you still have questions, call me..

Best regards,

Frank Whiteley
Secretary, Soaring Society of America
970-330-2050 7am-10pm MDT
www.ssa.org
www.letsgogliding.com

David Kovar
July 16th 13, 07:14 PM
Good afternoon,

Thank you all very much. My intention was to get away from home and work and to focus on flying and downtime. To that end, going to Hawaii seems like a good option, particularly as I've never been there before. Suggestions for a variety of other places, and particularly the options closer to home, are much appreciated and will be explored in turn.

Thanks again!

-David

July 16th 13, 11:23 PM
I would vote against Dillingham for a week of soaring. It is strickly a ridge running site and very small ridge at that. I fly there every time I go to Oahu but I am getting bored with the place by the end of a day.

I would strongly vote for Minden (Soaring NV). You can fly just about every single day. The weather in September can be different every day but you have thermals, ridge, wave, and the prospect of some cross-country flying every day. You cannot get bored.

son_of_flubber
July 17th 13, 12:59 AM
On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:23:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> I would vote against Dillingham for a week of soaring. It is strickly a ridge running site and very small ridge at that.

So does Dillingham always have a crosswind (on a soarable day) and is it always from the same side?

Dan Marotta
July 17th 13, 01:27 AM
Trade winds. So, pretty much, "yes". I took my first glider flight there.
After talking with Elmer, he let me fly the whole flight in the G-103 from
brake release to roll out while he sat quitely in the back seat. I was
hooked and, 5 flights later (in a 2-33), I soloed.

"son_of_flubber" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:23:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> I would vote against Dillingham for a week of soaring. It is strickly a
>> ridge running site and very small ridge at that.
>
> So does Dillingham always have a crosswind (on a soarable day) and is it
> always from the same side?

GC[_2_]
July 17th 13, 03:12 AM
On 17/07/2013 09:59, son_of_flubber wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:23:45 PM UTC-4,
> wrote:
>> I would vote against Dillingham for a week of soaring. It is
>> strickly a ridge running site and very small ridge at that.
>
> So does Dillingham always have a crosswind (on a soarable day) and is
> it always from the same side?

Always. The northeast trades never stop except for Christmas.

GC

July 17th 13, 03:38 PM
Well, the trades stopped blowing on April 29-30. By May 2 they were back to their steady predictable self.

So...even in Hawaii, if you block out a week to fly you may be stuck on the ground being forced to drink fruity things with an umbrella on the top.

July 17th 13, 06:30 PM
I would invite you to check out williamssoaring.com
We train in ASK 21, solo in ASK 23 and transition to ASW 24 and ASW 27 after advanced training in our Duo X. We are located our private airport in Northern Ca. 1 hour north of Sacramento International airport,with very little traffic and free guest accommodations for extended stays.

Another option is our satellite operation in Montague Ca. in the beautiful Siskiyou County 30 miles north of Mt. Shasta. This is a small quite airport with a very nice ASK 21 and also has free accommodations. www.montaguesoaring.com.
Great soaring and very small chance of losing a day to WX.

Give me a call 530 473 5600.

Rex Mayes
Owner Operator DPE
Williams Soaring Center
Montague Soaring Center

David Kovar
September 2nd 13, 05:03 AM
Good evening,

Just a quick update. I ended up flying both at Minden, NV and Williams, CA. Both operations are very well run with well maintained equipment and superb staff. I had great experiences at both locations. If you are ever looking for a place to fly, they're both worth checking out.

-David

Google