PDA

View Full Version : High Altitude Tornados in Western USA Mountains

son_of_flubber
July 16th 13, 12:39 PM
Below Pike's Peak on July 13, 2013 (last Saturday) http://i.imgur.com/oJJ4PJk.jpg

Highest Tornado on record in 2004 http://tornado.sfsu.edu/rockwellpasstornado/index.html

Tornado at 11,900 in 2012 on Mount Adams in Co http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21187400/mount-evans-tornado-could-be-second-highest-recorded

Any good glider w/tornado stories out there?

Bill D
July 16th 13, 04:08 PM
On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:39:40 AM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
> Below Pike's Peak on July 13, 2013 (last Saturday) http://i.imgur.com/oJJ4PJk.jpg
>

> Highest Tornado on record in 2004 http://tornado.sfsu.edu/rockwellpasstornado/index.html
>

> Tornado at 11,900 in 2012 on Mount Adams in Co http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21187400/mount-evans-tornado-could-be-second-highest-recorded
>

> Any good glider w/tornado stories out there?

High mountain vortexes are probably always there but only become visible when there is enough moisture in the air. They tend to be weak compared to "Tornado Ally" twisters since the convective layer is shallower over mountains. They may become more common as the climate warms since warm air carries more moisture and the planetary boundary layer is expected to thicken.

I think any mountain pilot will tell you they have encountered strong lift accompanied by severe turbulence.

July 16th 13, 05:50 PM
During the nationals at Marfa (1969) several gliders were flying near Alpine, Tx. I had my new 301 Libelle at 14000 feet or so when a tornado came out of a big cu with cloud base above 15000 feet. It worked it's way to the ground. Not knowing what to expect I opened speed brakes and landed at the Alpine airport.

John Ryan (Rainco) 1T some how got more involved with the tornado. Thereafter his callsign became one tornado

AH

Google