PDA

View Full Version : Avier with LK8000

Guy B
July 22nd 13, 10:03 PM
I have a problem with the GPS signal, and com ports. Any suggestions?

The computer was working with the internal GPS. Then I ordered and received the cable to hook it up to 12V ship power, as well as the other cable to power and feed in Colibri GPS information. Haven't been able to make that work, and now can't get my internal GPS to connect again. The screen display reads "GPS: No ComPort"

When I get the Power Flarm core, I want to hook that up and display that info on the Avier Screen. It should work, but if it can't work with the Colibri, the Power Flarm probably won't work either.

In January, to make the GPS connection, I was advised to set Device A Name to generic and Port to com4, which worked then, but not now.
I've set Device B to LK Colibri/Nano and Com6 at 4800 Baud. It didn't help.
I've got the A-GPS Function set to Activate. Lots of satellites, still nothing.

Is there a manual that tells us more than how to rotate the screen?

Frustrated with computer, and lack of basic info.

I'm going to the Cowley Summer Camp in southern Alberta next week. I can fly without the computer, but it would be better if it was working.

Guy

jfitch
July 22nd 13, 11:13 PM
On Monday, July 22, 2013 2:03:46 PM UTC-7, Guy B wrote:
> I have a problem with the GPS signal, and com ports. Any suggestions?
>

> The computer was working with the internal GPS. Then I ordered and received the cable to hook it up to 12V ship power, as well as the other cable to power and feed in Colibri GPS information. Haven't been able to make that work, and now can't get my internal GPS to connect again. The screen display reads "GPS: No ComPort"
>

> When I get the Power Flarm core, I want to hook that up and display that info on the Avier Screen. It should work, but if it can't work with the Colibri, the Power Flarm probably won't work either.
>

> In January, to make the GPS connection, I was advised to set Device A Name to generic and Port to com4, which worked then, but not now.
>
> I've set Device B to LK Colibri/Nano and Com6 at 4800 Baud. It didn't help.
>
> I've got the A-GPS Function set to Activate. Lots of satellites, still nothing.
>

> Is there a manual that tells us more than how to rotate the screen?
>

> Frustrated with computer, and lack of basic info.
>

> I'm going to the Cowley Summer Camp in southern Alberta next week. I can fly without the computer, but it would be better if it was working.
>

> Guy

There is no COM6. You need to use COM7 or COM8, depending on what the cable is hooked up to (probably COM7 if it is the GliderTools cable). COM4 if using the internal GPS, and I think that has to be turned on as well. I had no trouble getting LK8000 to work using COM7 and the defaults (4800 baud, etc.).

Try downloading the V2 and GliderGuider manuals. Each of them has some information that the others don't.

6PK
July 23rd 13, 02:00 AM
On Monday, July 22, 2013 2:03:46 PM UTC-7, Guy B wrote:
> I have a problem with the GPS signal, and com ports. Any suggestions?
>

> The computer was working with the internal GPS. Then I ordered and received the cable to hook it up to 12V ship power, as well as the other cable to power and feed in Colibri GPS information. Haven't been able to make that work, and now can't get my internal GPS to connect again. The screen display reads "GPS: No ComPort"
>

> When I get the Power Flarm core, I want to hook that up and display that info on the Avier Screen. It should work, but if it can't work with the Colibri, the Power Flarm probably won't work either.
>

> In January, to make the GPS connection, I was advised to set Device A Name to generic and Port to com4, which worked then, but not now.
>
> I've set Device B to LK Colibri/Nano and Com6 at 4800 Baud. It didn't help.
>
> I've got the A-GPS Function set to Activate. Lots of satellites, still nothing.
>

> Is there a manual that tells us more than how to rotate the screen?
>

> Frustrated with computer, and lack of basic info.
>

> I'm going to the Cowley Summer Camp in southern Alberta next week. I can fly without the computer, but it would be better if it was working.
>

> Guy

I had a similar experience but mine involving a CAI302
The Aviar would work ok with the internal GPS but would not communicate with the 302.
I contacted Lawrence at Vertica and Vladimir at Glider Tools; wanting some answers. I must say they were very accommodating but no cigar.
I finally reverted to process of elimination and despite that Vladimir insisted on his cables being checked and flawless I ordered an other cable/connector from Tim at WW and whola it all worked.
I am not suggesting that in your case this is where the problem lies but sometimes it is.
6PK

July 23rd 13, 06:04 AM
Try going into AVIER Settings, System, Internal GPS, Programs (Winpilot gets its data from COM4 - LK8000 might be different), Hardware (Probably COM7 or COM8). If LK8000 has a COM Port setting it probably should match the Programs setting.

Richard Brisbourne[_2_]
July 23rd 13, 09:37 AM
At 05:04 23 July 2013, wrote:
>Try going into AVIER Settings, System, Internal GPS,
Programs (Winpilot
>gets its data from COM4 - LK8000 might be different),
Hardware (Probably
>COM7 or COM8). If LK8000 has a COM Port setting it
probably should match
>the Programs setting.

LK8000 has settings for COM port and baud rate. Go to
Config 2/LK8000 Setup/Device Setup (on version 4) or
Config(2)/Setup on earlier versions. Setup is on the
"Device configuration" screen. Match baud rate to the
supplying data source and COM port to whatever the
pin-out on the device connects to. This assumes the
cable also connects correctly.

If you are confident the cable is correct, trial and error
should sort it.

Alternatively why not ask for advice on the LK8000
forum: http://www.postfrontal.com/forum/default.asp?
CAT_ID=11

David Salmon[_3_]
July 23rd 13, 11:04 AM
At 08:37 23 July 2013, Richard Brisbourne wrote:
>At 05:04 23 July 2013, wrote:
>>Try going into AVIER Settings, System, Internal GPS,
>Programs (Winpilot
>>gets its data from COM4 - LK8000 might be different),
>Hardware (Probably
>>COM7 or COM8). If LK8000 has a COM Port setting it
>probably should match
>>the Programs setting.
>>

>LK8000 has settings for COM port and baud rate. Go to
>Config 2/LK8000 Setup/Device Setup (on version 4) or
>Config(2)/Setup on earlier versions. Setup is on the
>"Device configuration" screen. Match baud rate to the
>supplying data source and COM port to whatever the
>pin-out on the device connects to. This assumes the
>cable also connects correctly.
>
>If you are confident the cable is correct, trial and error
>should sort it.
>
>Alternatively why not ask for advice on the LK8000
>forum: http://www.postfrontal.com/forum/default.asp?
>CAT_ID=11

There is also a utility for finding the port and baud rate in LK8000.
System folder-CEUtilities-GPSScan.
Dave

Google